Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Inappropriate comment by Warframe Twitch streamer during live twitch

Today while me and my 9 years old son both watching a Twitch streamer doing Warframe live stream, we are shocked at the comment he made when a viewer is asking in chat "what is the credit for".  He looks offended when saw the question in the chat and start saying something like this multiple time "I don't want to say it...i don't want to say it....." "Ok but i will say this "The credit is for spending a night with your mum" (something similar like this sentence). 

I mean maybe the viewer is asking a dumb question, or maybe he is trolling, but for a streamer to comment something like this in live stream is highly inappropriate.  Maybe i am too sensitive on someone making fun of others related to their mum, but.........

I am always watching his Warframe post on YT and live Twitch, and i respected his expertise and knowledge in Warframe, but after this incident, we know who to avoid on YT and Twitch.

• Like 2

Call me crazy but your kid watching a guy play an M-Rated game that involves killing hordes of soldiers in a myriad of manners is probably more inappropriate than a "your mom" joke.

• Like 56

The game is rated M and the twitch stream has an "intended for mature audiences" tag.  That's why I only play this after my kid goes to bed for the night.  Not to mention it's an online game, people say all sorts of wacky stuff that makes me want to turn the internet off when he's awake, lol.

Edited by MetalMechabolic
  • Like 18

Wanted to do the same post.

While the Twitch Streamer was inappropriate, i hope your child is not playing Warframe or watching any streams, as a 9 year old.

Its not age appropriate at all.

Edited by xMarvin732
  • Like 7

Yo mama jokes were the funniest S#&$ on the schoolyard in my elementary school.

Unless your son is homeschooled, he probably heard worse before.

Especially now with kids having unrestricted internet access.

• Like 13

I'm pretty sure he watches content with worse things than mother jokes and you don't even know but still, why are you watching someone playing Warframe with him, just play together let him have some fun

• Like 5

It's weird to me that folks keep bringing up the ESRB rating of the game when OP isn't complaining about the game; they're complaining about a streamer. You'll find streamers playing Mario games that are vulgar as well, and you'll find streamers playing Warframe that keep it perfectly clean.

With that out of the way, OP: there are lots of different kinds of streamers.  When selecting a streamer to view, I highly recommend you look closely at the tags each individual streamer has applied to their stream.  Often you will see things like "Mature" or "18+", which can act as a heads up.  If you see those, it might be a good idea to skip over those streams and find a different one.

Of course, there's no way to be perfectly safe, as anyone can make a vulgar joke even if they neglect to put up a Mature tag.  So you've really just got to be careful.  You're watching an unscripted, random person on the internet via a live feed, and there's no way of telling what they might do at any moment.  If you feel like they've violated the Twitch ToS, you can report those violations to Twitch.  But if they're just making content you find distasteful, the only thing you can generally do is to watch something else.  Or give feedback that you're watching with your 9-year old and see how that goes (I wouldn't expect much with that, but it will at least clarify where the streamer stands on an issue).

Anyway, hope you can find some streamers that are more your speed.

Warframe isn't age appropriate, therefore your watching a stream that is also not age appropriate.

Is it really the streamers problem? Really? 

Your son was never the target audience. Therefore this is 100% a "you" problem that is completely avoidable.

If your child is exposed for something like this and your watching it with him: It's not up to the streamer or DE to filter it's mature content for you. That's your job.

Take responsibility since your his parent.

Edited by Cram_Duahcim
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Leviathon7881 said:

I mean maybe the viewer is asking a dumb question, or maybe he is trolling, but for a streamer to comment something like this in live stream is highly inappropriate.  Maybe i am too sensitive on someone making fun of others related to their mum, but.........

sure.. but you gotta understand it seems.. strange shall we say, that you're happy to let your kid watch hundreds of Grineer or whatever faction the guy's fighting getting dismembered brutally with weapons and powers, mass murder being committted on a scale most non-gamers would find abhorrent.. and also getting uppity about bad language/humor in poor taste?

that said I'm from a different time, my parents were fine with letting me play GTA and watching most violent movies, provided I behaved myself at home and in school. sometimes I didn't, but for reasons that had nothing to do with videogames, and my parents knew that. they certainly aren't the coddling type.

ultimately though, the game is rated M, so really you should expect both the games content, and by extension it's audience, which includes streamers, to be "rated M" as well, because that's the target audience. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

ultimately though, the game is rated M, so really you should expect both the games content, and by extension it's audience, which includes streamers, to be "rated M" as well, because that's the target audience. 

Especially at the later parts where they go "oh yeaaaaahh wait a minute, we rated this game M we don't have to make up replacement expletives, we can just say them outright"

Hello, and welcome to the Forums.

Nothing wrong with being sensitive, but its not really about that, rather its about being informed and educated. For example are you sure you actually want your 9 year old son watching Warframe content in general? Watching a stream and playing the game itself aren't quite the same, and Age Rating classifications can differ country to country, and certain elements of why Warframe can be rated higher can be toned down (like the gore), but there are still a lot of mature elements within the game, that I wouldn't want a child of mine exposed to, unless I had really had serious conversations with them about them (such as micro transactions), and there are also mature themes in several parts of the game. 

Thats before we even address the nature of streamers who may not even be associated with DE and Warframe, and thats before we even get into the nature of general parenting styles and approaches and ideas different parents take when it comes to protecting their child from outside influences. Parenting can be a tough, selfless, thankless task, I know from personal experience, but thats just par for course. Its been a while since I had to be knowledgable for parenting concerns around children in that age range, and there are a lot of variables involved with such situations, like country, income, schooling situation, family arrangement, and so on, but if your child is going to school, and can access the internet in ways you may not be able to observe or control, even despite your best efforts otherwise, I generally found the open line of communication with the child, worked better. Meaning you have to talk to them, and set boundaries and set up lines of communication, so they value being open and honest with you, even over sensitive or "vulgar" issues. Like unless you live somewhere with little internet access and home school them, chances are they are going to hear much much worse. Mom jokes are like entry level issues. They have also been around for like hundreds of years. When I was at school shock/gore videos were a thing. 

Addressing issues with your son, is going to be better than them being exposed to such things, but feeling like they can't talk to you about them, because they are worried about the percussions/consequences. Also try to remember that technology and society moves constantly. Your children is usually going to be experiencing environments and conditions neither your or your parents experienced, so its not always a good idea to think replicating how they taught you, will work, or that your child will face the exact same issues as you might have. Like social media is a much larger influence now than say 20 years ago. Good luck though all the same. 

1) This is an M-rated game. It's for mature audiences.

2) This is the problem with DE making this game more and more childish for 11 years, infantilizing their player base with playable children and virtual toys and cartoonish villains. DE has created an atmosphere where quite a lot of people perceive the game to be less mature and more family-friendly than it was originally intended to be, and assume the content creators associated with this game are as family-friendly as they perceive the game to be. So, you have people like the OP who erroneously believe the game is family-friendly and child-friendly.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Leviathon7881 said:

Today while me and my 9 years old son both watching a Twitch streamer doing Warframe live stream, we are shocked at the comment he made when a viewer is asking in chat "what is the credit for".  He looks offended when saw the question in the chat and start saying something like this multiple time "I don't want to say it...i don't want to say it....." "Ok but i will say this "The credit is for spending a night with your mum" (something similar like this sentence). 

I am always watching his Warframe post on YT and live Twitch, and i respected his expertise and knowledge in Warframe, but after this incident, we know who to avoid on YT and Twitch.

Its an M rated game lets start with that.

Like, look man i get not wanting children to be exposed to certain things but theres some risk involved here. 

I wouldnt take a kid to a clothing optional beach because hey, someone might not be wearing clothes.

Even the devs themselves have made "inappropriate" innuendo and or comments or dropped an f bomb or something on numerous streams.  

1. did the streamer even had a family friendly tag and if it did twitch probably barely enforces correct tag usage.

2. Twitch has a rule that you need to be 13 years or higher to even use the site or have a guardian that decides which stream is safe for kids at or under 13 years old. So its kinda implied its probably not gonna be good for a 9 year old to watch.

3. Game rated M

Also is a streamer bound by rules to not make adult jokes? Like I get they cant str8 up do or say certain things but I dont think your mom jokes falls under that.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Leviathon7881 said:

That is so funny as I've never seen a streamer do something like that.

Z0hMd.gif

Z5c68.gif

/Serious face on.

Spoiler

EWaOs.jpg

• Like 1