Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma, The New Dragon Frame (Teased In Devstream 45, 46, Tennolive) Anticipation Megathread

Morec0

I hate the idea for two reason. One, there was already a highly popular dragon frame creation thread that is still going on, and we all know DE's dragon frame isn't going to be that dragon frame, so theres gonna be a whole new slew of "OMG Y U MAKE IT SO BAD AND NOT JUST DO THIS" and the people that just don't like the idea going "DE WHY WOULD YOU MAKE THIS IT SUCKS SO MUCH" but, that seems to be the reaction to anything new, however I digress.

I mainly don't like it because it doesn't feel like it can fit with the established I dunno theme of warframes. Like, they were built to represent the people they were made around. Sure there are animal themes, but rhino makes sense because he's a big dude that just runs things down, like a rhino does. Oberon isn't deer/goat themed, he's paladin themed with nature druid type design elements. Mirage is a trickster type person, probably maroo's grandmother. I'm just trying to figure out what type of person is like a dragon. We already have a fire frame, that's ember, we already have a flying frame, that's zephyr. I guess they could be playing on an affinity for a wide range of elements like theres all different kinds of dragons but I just don't get it.

This type of thread again.

I can understand not being crazy about the new Frame. Maybe it's just not your thing. That's fair.

But 'Why pick X over Y?' isn't really worth worrying much about.

You know what the answers most likely to be? Because they felt like it. Or because they happen to get an idea they liked for it going faster. Maybe it really was just ready to be rolled out first. There is a decent bit of work in the background that goes on before we even see a frame for a first time - hell before they even announce we're getting a new frame even.

There is no saying how many Frames are on the table as ideas just waiting for that perfect bit of concept work or that clever idea for a gimmick or skills to come along. 

As for Fan Concepts? Well we all already know whats up there. It's not really any different. They don't do carbon copies of Fan Concepts entries. They take a fan concept they know the community really loves and they adopt it into the game after giving it their spin to fit what they'd like from the idea too. Zephyr and likely Dragon will stand as evidence of this. 

I won't have a problem with "Lancer", if the frame is at all connected to the weapon he's named after.

It'd be pretty nonsensical to call him Lancer, and not give him a lance.

I am absolutely 100% okay with them adding a Lance. Melee with forward running, charging type attacks just sounds fun as hell.

It's simple:

Dragon is the theme the community demanded most, so they made a dragon frame.

that's actually false. it was a highly requested theme. but it isn't the most demanded theme. if you'd have to pick something in terms of themes that have been wanted by the community, typhus is very high (although it's a specific concept, unlike the broader "dragon") the actual dragon concept we have, a time/space frame, earth frame, etc. i see people asking for a light frame when we have one in mirage ~.~ but yea point is, if they went with the most requested thing, it probably would have been typhus since i think more people wanted him with dragon as a close second

Well, I mean aren't Dragons kinda related to Ninjas...?

depends on what type of dragon. there are several dragons however most only associate dragons with eastern culture. we have the typical european dragons (kidnaps princess' and terrorizes villages), mesoamerican dragons (Quetzalcoatl ftw!), etc.

Edited by LordOfScrugging

Well if u relate to Chinese or Japanese culture there are many references to dragons, just like the game tries to subtly introduce ninja and samurai themes in general as the roots for the frames and some weapons.

But I do hope it doesn't come out like a zephyr look a like thing, she is extremely ugly, because they did a literal design of a bird like thing into a female suit.

And as far as ideas go around, things like the 4 elements, fire earth wind water, is very unoriginal, some of those frames end up alright in both design and abilities, and the other half was very disappointing.

Well if u relate to Chinese or Japanese culture there are many references to dragons, just like the game tries to subtly introduce ninja and samurai themes in general as the roots for the frames and some weapons.

But I do hope it doesn't come out like a zephyr look a like thing, she is extremely ugly, because they did a literal design of a bird like thing into a female suit.

And as far as ideas go around, things like the 4 elements, fire earth wind water, is very unoriginal, some of those frames end up alright in both design and abilities, and the other half was very disappointing.

actually with zephyr, they took her original concept and completely changed it: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/121272-warframe-concept-zephyr-the-wind-elemental-artwork-included-resolved/

I mainly don't like it because it doesn't feel like it can fit with the established I dunno theme of warframes.

Our established theme is no themes.

I always facepalm when people say something like this. Have you not seen the warframes we have? One of the things that attracted me to this game in the first place was the oddball character design. Some are a miss, sure, but they're not afraid to take a swing and that's what makes the art direction good.

Edit: and for the record, I'm predicting it will be a Mesoamerican dragon.

Edited by vaugahn

Our established theme is no themes.

I always facepalm when people say something like this. Have you not seen the warframes we have? One of the things that attracted me to this game in the first place was the oddball character design. Some are a miss, sure, but they're not afraid to take a swing and that's what makes the art direction good.

We can say the Warframe universe is just a conglomerate of many different cultures.

I'd argue the theme is all themes (somehow, somewhere).

Well most of the frames at least more clearly in the lates models are made of two themes, one for the appearance and other for the energy or type of attack, like Mirage is a jester/ light concept; hidroid is a pirate/water concept, so dragon is most likely the physical appearance  but what is the energy/attack theme?, we have yet to see. 

On the other hand changing the type of damage base on the color of the energy in a dragon theme is very representative of the chromatic dragons of dungeon and dragons.