The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Devstream #87 Overview

AM-Bunny

I honestly find the Eximus "buff" to be one of the worst ideas DE has come up with so far, and judging by the viewer comments, that seemed to be the general reaction. DE can say it's to make the enemies more challenging all they want, but from what we saw, it just looked frustrating and annoying.

The worst part is how they kept referring to the parts you have to hit as "weak points", and last I checked, shooting specific points on an enemy to get rid of its invulnerability is not the definition of a weak point. If DE really wants to use this system and still call them that, they should let us still damage the Eximus unit normally, but if you manage to hit one of those points, they'd take a MASSIVE hit to their health. You know, like what happens when you hit a WEAK POINT?

It's the only recent reference that comes to my mind right now, but if DE expects to be taken seriously with this, they should look at Highlord Wolnir's fight in Dark Souls 3: You can hit his body and still damage him, but it won't really do much. In order to really get the kill, you need to attack and break his three golden bracelets. Take 'em all out, and he's done. That, in my opinion, is how the Eximus "weak points" should work.

I get the feeling that the developers who came up with the new eximus mechanic don't actually play their own game.

Looks awful.  All it seemingly does is turn enemies into invulnerable damage sponges.  Boring ones at that.

Mentioned it on discord chat, most of us mentioned there's going to be the obvious, inevitable scripting issues where the eximus is rendered invulnerable and impossible to kill.  Happens with every enemy with invulnerability phases such as manics, Lech Kril, Kela De Thaym, Captain Vor, Lephantis, etc.

This eventually results in having to restart a run if you have to kill all enemies, such as in defense or exterminate.

I get the feeling that melee is going to be completely non-viable as an added bonus, given the already awkward hitboxes on enemies.

If this does happen, let's hope that it's thoroughly tested, and the scripting engine overhauled and fixed before rollout.

Personally, if they introduce this, they'd better make those eximus enemies drop something really dang good to make up for the hassle.

And they'd better test it in a LOT of eximus heavy sortie mission settings, like... eximus infested defense in the third leg of a sortie, as both client and host.  50% of eximus enemies have weak spots, attacking you and the defense target en masse!

Do that, please.  Hit a weak spot while surrounded by a dozen caustic eximus enemies procing their fire waves in the third leg of a sortie.  With half or so of them requiring you to take out their weak spots while you bounce around like a ping pong ball by fire wave after fire wave of eximus enemies stacking up.

With energy drain eximus enemies likewise stacking up, good luck on casting your CC abilities.  Those enemies also bearing "weak points".

NO DEV CHEATS ALLOWED.

With what many players have seen of warframe RNG, there's a chance the RNG might get 'stuck' on cranking out nothing but swarms of eximus enemies each with massive numbers of weakpoints that just... get ridiculous.

As is, it turns eximus enemies into potential bags of infinite hitpoints, complete with damaging/draining auras.

It's not a "weak spot" on the enemy, it's an invulnerability enabler.  The only way I can see this working, is if the eximus enemies with these "weak spots" get killed or lose most of their HP when the "weak spot" is hit or destroyed.  You have to take out all the the "weak spots" before you can even get at the damage sponge, enhanced damage reduction HP.

Do that.  I dare ya.

Otherwise, this should probably be left on the cutting room floor, like the long since removed nervos.

34447133.jpg

Edited by DeMeritus

I think immunity for eximus while having weakpoints is a very bad idea.

It makes the eximus more threatening ok I dont mind. But if the number of eximus spawning doesnt change, it'll be absolute hell.

To counter balance this, the number of eximus should decrease which is not fun either I personally think. I find quite funny and challenging to have some eximus to kill at the same time. 

Maybe if they are not immune but just got a great damage reduction while having their weakpoints would be better. They'll be more threatening but not overpowered.

Plus, I think people will not try differents weapons againts infested and will always take synoid simulor. Some people  like to use bow or sniper against infested, but probably won't (like me^^)  if infested eximus become immune, there will be to many infested to aim their weakpoints^^, no more oneshoot/headshoot for ancient eximus. 

I think high level infested will just be more and more mirage/synoid simulor, quite cancer.

Again, if their immune turns into some damage reduction it would be great, more difficult but just fine.

Thanks for the overview.

(sorry for potato english)

14 minutes ago, (PS4)BrutalReaper32 said:

I like the idea of weakpoints for eximus units. 
I prefer something like that than tanky units because shooting 2 magazines at the same guy is boring as hell, while aiming for weakpoints will consume way less time and is more interactive. 
Really nice IMO :D

Except we will probably have to hit the "weak spots" to unlock the bullet sponge health bar :B 

I bet 1 plat

happy they're adding in new enemies, the syndicate assassinations seem pretty stale already, bard frames looking good

I'm not a fan of the weak point idea. It just feels like another layer of bs slapped on to get past, I'd be happier if they'd just make eximus their own unit instead of the reskins with junk slapped on them we have now. Even with weak points they'll still act the same, I just need to jump another hoop to kill the same guys I've already been killing.

interested to see how well peacemaker will do on these weak points

I am cautiously optimistic.

Actually, that's a lie, I expect the Eximus change to be a goddamned catastrophe. Like, I'll give it a chance! I will! I'll go in and I'll do missions and it'll be ok, and I'll try it out, but I do in fact expect a terrible, terrible change to the game which is poorly thought out and conceived of by folks who do not play the game even 5% as much as most players.

i like the weak spots. i look forward to actually paying attention when an Eximus unit spawns. 

i only hope they put more effort into weakpoints. Make grineer weak points break apart and strip armor. Corpus wealpoints could disable shield. just dont make it an arbitrary glowing spot on enemies.

Players on forum will complain no matter what, unless the enemy is getting nerfed. We need some high end units, that dont just rely on scaling.

Edited by Hypernaut1

51 minutes ago, AM-Bunny said:

New Sentient Unit: Sentient Carrier
• As Sentients die and drop their spark, The Carrier will consume the spark and spawn a new Sentient
• The Sentient Carrier is intended to be a high priority target
• Sentient Damage Immunity can be reset by Operator attacks

A realible way to farm Sentients.

32 minutes ago, (PS4)BrutalReaper32 said:

I prefer something like that than tanky units because shooting 2 magazines at the same guy is boring as hell, while aiming for weakpoints will consume way less time and is more interactive. 

I think you didn't understand how it will work. Now you shoot 2 magazines to kill them, after the weakpoints are added you'll have to destroy them and then shoot those 2 magazines... You're not going to be killing eximus just by destroying their weakpoints, you're going to make them not-invincible... 
It's going to be a LOT worse than how it is now.

Interception sortie with eximus fortress condition...

46 minutes ago, (PS4)BrutalReaper32 said:

I think you missed something.  It actually will take more time with the new mechanic, not less.

You now have to destroy every single one of the "weak points" before you can start unloading those 2 magazines worth of ammo into that eximus to kill it.

Congratulations, you now have to aim carefully, and then unload tons of ammo into said eximus because only now can you start to actually damage that enemy.

And if one of those weak points is behind the enemy, where you can't hit it, because the enemy's always facing toward you in a solo session.

Well...

66154056.jpg

Edited by DeMeritus

48 minutes ago, DeadScream said:

Yeah, the last thing I wanted in this game was a dancing warframe summoning giant shiny stupid sound waves everywhere... 

I long time ago, I made threads on the artistic direction of the game.

Abstract Cool would give way to mythical and modern archetypes which would then give way to Whimsical themes.

I think bardframe might be the far point and that the pendulum will start to swing back towards re-imagined retro.

But I've been wrong before.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

1 minute ago, DeMeritus said:

I think you missed something.  It actually will take more time with the new mechanic, not less.

You now have to destroy every single one of the "weak points" before you can start unloading those 2 magazines worth of ammo into that eximus to kill it.

Congratulations, you now have to aim carefully, and then unload tons of ammo into said eximus because only now can you start to actually damage that enemy.

It's basically a superior version of Rhino's power.  

It's coding lifted from Banshee and Synthesis Target mechanics.

At least my Volt got a little more valuable.  And Frost's value just skyrocketed.  So did AoE damage.

5 minutes ago, Fukushu said:

I honestly find the Eximus "buff" to be one of the worst ideas DE has come up with so far, and judging by the viewer comments, that seemed to be the general reaction. DE can say it's to make the enemies more challenging all they want, but from what we saw, it just looked frustrating and annoying.

The worst part is how they kept referring to the parts you have to hit as "weak points", and last I checked, shooting specific points on an enemy to get rid of its invulnerability is not the definition of a weak point. If DE really wants to use this system and still call them that, they should let us still damage the Eximus unit normally, but if you manage to hit one of those points, they'd take a MASSIVE hit to their health. You know, like what happens when you hit a WEAK POINT?

It's the only recent reference that comes to my mind right now, but if DE expects to be taken seriously with this, they should look at Highlord Wolnir's fight in Dark Souls 3: You can hit his body and still damage him, but it won't really do much. In order to really get the kill, you need to attack and break his three golden bracelets. Take 'em all out, and he's done. That, in my opinion, is how the Eximus "weak points" should work.

but remember that we also have tons of abilities and weapons that can casually oneshot high level enemies even with DR on them. And the worst of all is that these weapons / abilities are AoE and even some of them don't even need you to aim to kill something. So I can really se where are they come from when they want to make such important units like eximus more durable in the battlefiel. 
Also, if they had DR instead on invulnerability if not shooted on the weakspots, I think people would just force more damage into them, and with the tools we have, it would rener weakspots useless. 
I mean, eximus units are a bit annoying (like anything that can help your enemies to not get killed extremelly fast like we are used to do). But, they are simply support units (they aren't meant to oneshoot you, they are mostly there to healp their team-mates. So for me at least, is not that dangerous that they can be casually instakilled along the rest of the trash mobs. 
Probably if in practice the game becomes way too hard because the waypoint system, DE could reduce the amount of eximus units you'll have to fight simultaneously and reduce their armor to match normal unit armor values. But personally I think this system is good to reduce a bit the need to use one shooting weapons.or full damage builds to deal with VIP targets. SO I really hope skill mechanics replace gear checks as requisits to kill VIP targets in the future. 
But that's just my opinion anyway. I've always found the game too easy, specially when you have a good team with you. (it's not that I would like WF to turn into a Dark Souls or something, but the game has the difficulty of a shooter tutorial when you are well moded, and that shouldn't be the case for any game).

32 minutes ago, DeadScream said:

Except we will probably have to hit the "weak spots" to unlock the bullet sponge health bar :B 

I bet 1 plat

I mean, eximus units aren't that tank after all. 
Just look at the insane numbers we can get with tons of different weapons and abilities. 
I know this is not general, but a lot of players can casually kill level 100 bombards with AoE abilities and weapons, and some of them don't even need to aim lol.
Probably DE should remove the armor form eximus units to balance things a little bit, since they want to encourage us to use skill over moding for these enemies, it wouldn't work well to make them tanky too. 
But, let's see how it goes.

10 minutes ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

It's basically a superior version of Rhino's power.  

It's coding lifted from Banshee and Synthesis Target mechanics.

At least my Volt got a little more valuable.  And Frost's value just skyrocketed.  So did AoE damage.

I think AoE damage abilities won't attack these weakpoints. (like they don't score headshots or attack banshee generates weakpoints). 
what I think will be more valuable from now, will be CC abilities, since enemies will stop moving and less skilled players will be able to destroy their weakpoints easier.

30 minutes ago, DeMeritus said:

And if one of those weak points is behind the enemy, where you can't hit it, because the enemy's always facing toward you in a solo session.

Well...

66154056.jpg

idk  at what levels you play, but I uaually plat against level 100 enemies and bellow, so I don't really need shoot that much to said enemies. 
but as I said in another comment, probably DE is focusing on making skill required to take down special units, so probably armor will be reduced a lot or something. 
That's what I want to happen actually, I never liked gear check enemies that just need you to have better gear to overcome the problem, I want enemies that require skill. 
So as I said, armor needs to be removed from said enemies to make things more fair for everyone.

thanks as always Bunny!

the Sentient carrier sound like a great idea, as do Fabricators, and i love the ideas of Ambulas and Nef's rework (Ambulas looks badass!), my ony concern is the Eximus units; I#'m not sure enemies with only a certain vulnerable point would bode well in this game, which is essentially a horder shooter, I think that if they're going to make Eximus units that tough, they should take a look at the spawn rates for them. I'm mainly concerned for Sorties with the Eximus Stronghold modifier, if DE goes overboard with them, those Sorties will become unplayable for most.

I'm open to the idea, and I know i can fight them, I'm just concerned that they may not be implemented in a way that suits both new and veteran players alike: they'll either be too easy or become Bullet sponges, there needs to be a middle-ground.

The eximus weak points is good, since players said the game is easy and today someone just said sorties are easy boring. Can't wait to see those eximus units in sortie eximus stronghold mission lol

Btw... that new ambulas design... 'facepalm'