Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do you think that the PoE could be larger?

PrVonTuckIII

So I'm an avid fan of Planetside 2, one of the more popular F2P open-world combat games out there, and I realized something: PoE is only 3x3 km (9 square km). Measuring that out in PS2 came out relatively small. Not tiny, mind you, but I realized that it was a lot smaller than I thought it would be. 

Just a question to DE: Would you consider, now or later, increasing the size of the Plains?

im not DE. but i do work on game design every now and then and i can tell you no. they wont. because the plains still need to be functional on a toaster. unless we get a renderdistance setting then toasters are already going to be struggling with the plains.

20 minutes ago, SupremeDutchGamer said:

im not DE. but i do work on game design every now and then and i can tell you no. they wont. because the plains still need to be functional on a toaster. unless we get a renderdistance setting then toasters are already going to be struggling with the plains.

Wont it be... useless because, in a way, the host will have to render every place the other players are anyways? In 9 km², 4 players can scatter.

I think DE will eventually make it even bigger. Not an actual open world game bigger but definitely bigger than 9km². If they launch PoE and it is not as much of a fail as their raids/trials. Then they will definitely keep making it bigger in terms of audience drawing power as well as actual size of the maps. I'm sure, if PoE succeeds, they'll make maps with different shapes, sizes, terrain, enemies, mechanics, and so much more. 

If PoE succeeds as much as the hype it is currently getting, then this will be their new cash cow. They will beat it till it dies, turns into a horse, beat it some more and fulfills the "beating a dead horse" metaphor. 

17 minutes ago, TheErebus. said:

If it gets larger then it'll be a pain to traverse to + it could end up like MGSV where it's big but ultimately there's nothing to do other than the already pre-determined objectives. 

MGSV had a lot more behind the scenes issues than it was just empty. It was empty because they stopped developing it half-way through. Chico was supposed to be in it rather than just dying offscreen. You were supposed to confront Eli rather than just leaving it a loose end. etc. DE won't just drop support and treat it as a microtransaction farm. FOBs were a mistake.

1 minute ago, (PS4)Tactless_Ninja said:

MGSV had a lot more behind the scenes issues than it was just empty. It was empty because they stopped developing it half-way through. Chico was supposed to be in it rather than just dying offscreen. You were supposed to confront Eli rather than just leaving it a loose end. etc. DE won't just drop support and treat it as a microtransaction farm. FOBs were a mistake.

I am aware of the reasons behind all the issues, but until I see DE actually make the open world segments worth coming back to and not just another diversion until the next shiny thing comes along, then I'm against making them any larger.

@PrVonTuckIII

There is many things to learn from Planetside 2, and other large Open World Games:

A) Larger is NOT better, it just mean more of nothing.

B) Reinforce A, Quality > Quantity.

C) You don't abandoned your Community, and Dev should not Rage Quit.

PS, Major Lag, Modern Network, Higher Graphic does not mix well into current Consoles/Internet and won't ever at 60 FPS, not until like past 2020+.

3 hours ago, TheErebus. said:

I am aware of the reasons behind all the issues, but until I see DE actually make the open world segments worth coming back to and not just another diversion until the next shiny thing comes along, then I'm against making them any larger.

Yeah, looking into that, you can check for Posts in Forums about that too. of course it won't be easy, Plains of Eidolon.

1 minute ago, Darkvramp said:

?

Some FOBs are damn impossible to infiltrate. Defeats the purpose of a pvp system (which is a ghost town unless you have a nuke on you), and requires you to build extra struts to even remotely get close to the requirements to actually take it on. And their stupid MB coins are a requirement if you want to build those struts which could take months of logins to collect.

Just now, TheErebus. said:

Just saying despite how they like to move onto other things, they won't just cut n run. They've always added a few things here and there to older tilesets. We'll likely even get a few events in the middle of the plains to test various gameplay gimmicks they might add. If they're doing this for every world they're going to be putting a lot of time into making it interesting.

59 minutes ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

Just a question to DE: Would you consider, now or later, increasing the size of the Plains?

This is general discussion, so you're talking to the community right now. So with that said:

If all you care about is size, then you should be playing "No Man's Sky". They have infinite planets, with infinite space, and zero gameplay.

I would rather DE make 3x3 packed full of stuff than double the area with the same amount of stuff. Traveling is boring. Action is king.

Considering Fallout 4's area was around 9.9 km2, it's big enough I'd say. FO4 seemed big enough as is for me. Anything bigger and it'd honestly be too much space with probably too little filler. The issue with "Open World" maps is the fact that theres sometimes too much space with too little to do. So padding out an area to not just be empty space basically is difficult. I think maybe 9km2 may be just right for now, but its too early to tell. Depending on how DE implements and pads out the entire area it can make or break the update depending what there is to do all in all.

Much like in other games that tried to do somewhat open world stuff. Twilight Princess was pretty big in its own right but there wasn't much to do in that big old open overworld. Infact it was a downside to the game because there was just too much open space, too few enemies, and not many extras to do out in the open overworld. Breath of the Wild sorta suffers from this as well because theres a few rocks to split for ores and mushrooms / etc to pick up but not much all in all to be seen or done aside a few koroks here and there, but they're quite spread out despite the sheer amount of them are. The Wind waker also suffered from this, too much traveling between islands, giant open sea with only repetitive things to do, jump across barrels for rupees, find a single tower, or a glowing spot in the water to haul up treasure from. That was about it.

So this is why some of us are concerned about the size of the maps area, and the contents that'll lay all around it.

Edited by Cmdr-A

22 minutes ago, Archistopheles said:

This is general discussion, so you're talking to the community right now. So with that said:

If all you care about is size, then you should be playing "No Man's Sky". They have infinite planets, with infinite space, and zero gameplay.

I would rather DE make 3x3 packed full of stuff than double the area with the same amount of stuff. Traveling is boring. Action is king.

Oh please, the No Man's Sky stuff is old news. They have added content after content and is apparently very good right now, to even warrant Very Positive recent reviews on Steam.

Honestly, I think 9km² is enough if we get cool things to do inside of it, especially considering PoE is supposed to be the first landscape, so it's a lot more ok if we get more maps like this in the future.

43 minutes ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

Yeah, but we don't know how accurate DE's scale is. So it might not actually be a realistic 9km2.

A warframe is currently 2m tall, so the size should be accruate.

1 hour ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

So I'm an avid fan of Planetside 2, one of the more popular F2P open-world combat games out there, and I realized something: PoE is only 3x3 km (9 square km). Measuring that out in PS2 came out relatively small. Not tiny, mind you, but I realized that it was a lot smaller than I thought it would be. 

Give me an award-winning 60-minute special rather than a 120 minute movie with 90 minutes of filler.

There's always room to grow.

40 minutes ago, -N7-Leonhart said:

Oh please, the No Man's Sky stuff is old news. They have added content after content and is apparently very good right now, to even warrant Very Positive recent reviews on Steam.

That's besides the point. I don't actually care one way or the other about that game.

The point was that you can have a galaxy worth of stuff, but the actual content is stretched thin, or you can have that same amount of content jam-packed into a 3x3. I'll take the smaller space, thank you.