Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New players with primes...

Razzburiez

Something that has always bugged me a lot with warframe is whenever I see a low MR player with a bunch of high level prime gear. Even more so now with the Twitch Prime partnership offering a free Frost Prime that anyone can have and use, even a MR0. I just annoys me to see that knowing that they either bought it right off the bat, or their friend gifted it to them. Especially with frame such as Ash where the game play is kinda brain dead and these new players are immediately in the "press 4 to win" mentality and will hit a brick wall once enemies start scaling in higher levels and p4tw no longer works, possibly causing them to lose interest in the game. 

All I'm suggesting to do is have it so that in order to use a prime varient of a weapon or frame, you must 30 it's non prime counterpart. There are none that are unobtainable unlike how the Boar used to be. And as for the Reaper, Dakra, and Euphona which don't have an unprimmed counterpart, you could just use them. That, or master lock the primed frames at MR8 or something. Just something so that new players can't jump to the best the game has to offer within a week of starting the game and burn out quickly.

Remember this is just my humble opinion, granted an unpopular one.

Edited by Razzburiez

No. I think players shouldn't have to be forced to do anything in a game. If they wanna run in with all maxed mods their friends gave them, with the newest primed stuff; I say good for them and can I meet your friends. There is nothing bothering other players when newer players have top shelf gear. If they come in and spend 100 plus on PA, that only helps grow the game. 

I do really like that idea. The rank 30 the normal frame. What I do like about the primes for newbies are the polarities. It is very tough to get going in this game with the lack of slots and potatoes. The trade chat can be quite intimidating for new players.

12 minutes ago, Razzburiez said:

these new players are immediately in the "press 4 to win" mentality and will hit a brick wall once enemies start scaling in higher levels and p4tw no longer works, possibly causing them to lose interest in the game.

Something that has always bugged me a lot with warframe forums is whenever I see a low post count player with a bunch of high and mighty attitudes concerning entitlement. Even more so now with the Plains of Eidolon update attracting new player with the promise of new content that anyone can have and use, even a MR0. It just annoys me to see that knowing that they either don't understand that this game is meant to have fun with, or are just angry at the world.

But on a serious note: Please show me the statistics you've gathered about all these poor players that get stuff for free from their friends, and then quit the game, and why we should make everyone who joins grind everything that you had to.

3 minutes ago, Archistopheles said:

Something that has always bugged me a lot with warframe forums is whenever I see a low post count player with a bunch of high and mighty attitudes concerning entitlement. Even more so now with the Plains of Eidolon update attracting new player with the promise of new content that anyone can have and use, even a MR0. It just annoys me to see that knowing that they either don't understand that this game is meant to have fun with, or are just angry at the world.

^ Ikr, 

I don't think this is a good idea as it is sometimes very hard for new players to even get the normal warframes. Let alone get them to rank 30. It is fine for them to have prime stuff as there is usually very little difference from the normal gear. 

Furthermore, Pay to Rush is the business model of warframe. If players get turned off by the mindlessness of the combat of Ash prime, why would Ash be different? A frame that, if they choose to, they could buy at about the same price with a slot and a reactor, something that buying primes don't come with. 

If the game suddenly gets too hard for them because they are stuck in a certain play style, they could either find a way to get better, as many players who love warframe do, or as you say quit because they lost interest. 

And in the case of players who are helped by their friends, I think it is their friends job to keep them interested.

@(PS4)abbecephas is right, primes aren't the best that the game can offer. 

Edited by InDueTime-EN-

They're more or less "gifting" things like Frost Prime to new players to put Prime in their hands and to get them interested in additional Primes.

I joined when Nekros Prime was a thing. I remember that I looked at it all and just thought: "Whatever, it's just a shiny version of a Get-In-Game Frame that people pay $80 to have. Can't see the hype for this". It wasn't until later that I played with a bunch of Frame, got a bunch of mods, and did a bunch of playtesting builds that I realized how good a Prime Frame or Weapon could be.

Basically, it's DE giving new players their first taste of Prime and, Oh! Whaaat's this? A Hydroid Prime! Sitting here just waiting for you to Buy it too~

Edited by Tangent-Valley

39 minutes ago, Razzburiez said:

Something that has always bugged me a lot with warframe is whenever I see a low MR player with a bunch of high level prime gear. Even more so now with the Twitch Prime partnership offering a free Frost Prime that anyone can have and use, even a MR0. I just annoys me to see that knowing that they either bought it right off the bat, or their friend gifted it to them. Especially with frame such as Ash where the game play is kinda brain dead and these new players are immediately in the "press 4 to win" mentality and will hit a brick wall once enemies start scaling in higher levels and p4tw no longer works, possibly causing them to lose interest in the game. 

Something that is always bugged me is why should this even matter to you?  How does any of this effect you at all?  This whole post just seems like a good bit of envy to me.  It can be sugar coated all day long but it really looks/reads/sounds like nothing more than envy. 

I guess when I started my Alt account and had Ivara as a MR 0, you probably would have had the same issue or thoughts.  Again, what difference should it make to you as it doesn't effect you in anyway.  :D

48 minutes ago, Razzburiez said:

All I'm suggesting to do is have it so that in order to use a prime varient of a weapon or frame, you must 30 it's non prime counterpart. There are none that are unobtainable unlike how the Boar used to be. And as for the Reaper, Dakra, and Euphona which don't have an unprimmed counterpart, you could just use them. That, or master lock the primed frames at MR8 or something. Just something so that new players can't jump to the best the game has to offer within a week of starting the game and burn out quickly.

1 - Ash is no longer Press4ToWin and even for making him deal significant amount of damage, the new players would still have to Forma him which should force them to further explore the Star Chart to open nodes, do Derelict missions to acquire corrupted mods, do Void Fissure Missions and actually learn how to use the Warframe.

2 - No Warframe requires MR to be used and i think its fair since they are the main instrument for playing the game. If someone gave them a Prime right from start, that doesnt mean they wont have to farm other warframes or their non-primed counterparts at some point to gain more Mastery points.

3 - Making a Warframe good requires some time as said on item 1 above so i see no problem new players being able to lay hands on a Warframe they feel represent their playstyle to start working on to get it good from start. This also helps keep new players interested in the game.

2 minutes ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

2 - No Warframe requires MR to be used and i think its fair since they are the main instrument for playing the game. If someone gave them a Prime right from start, that doesnt mean they wont have to farm other warframes or their non-primed counterparts at some point to gain more Mastery points.

Wrong, Oberon Prime and Hydroid Prime

Edited by WNxMatthew

1 hour ago, Razzburiez said:

Just something so that new players can't jump to the best the game has to offer within a week of starting the game and burn out quickly.

I just wanna throw my hat onto this from a different perspective. 

Prime frames are exactly 0% better than the normal variants. Yes, they have a bit more armor/shields/sprint speed, but there's literally NO gameplay difference between Primes and non-Primes. There's certainly no advantage to having them other than fashion. Only the guns are actually noticeably different, and most of those already have MR locks. 

So there's no reason to lock Primed frames behind any requirements other than being able to get them. They're honestly just shiny versions of the normal frame. Only Primes I'd tell you to get over the OG are Volt and Saryn, because of their energy pools. Even in their cases, I'd say the normal counterparts work perfectly fine. 

In other words, some newbie having Ash Prime versus Ash is almost no different, except one is shinier. Same deal with Frost. No gameplay difference, no advantages to them having it over the original. Purely cosmetic. 

Edited by TrickshotMcGee

Will have to disagree too. There's already a system that restricts most of the best primes from being used by new players (MR requirements)... And most prime parts are basically slighly better versions of existing frames, mostly existing for collectors who want the "limited edition" of their toys, so to speak.

If a new player wants a prime access, gets gifted a few primes from a friend, or uses plat to get a few primes, good for them. It doesn't hurt anyone, and if it helps them enjoy the game more and feel less like a noob, good for them.

I know when I started my alternate PC account, as an ASH fanboy, I was really happy to be able to buy a couple of my favorite primes to get me a headstart instead of putting formas and catalysts on expendable , inferior versions of frames and guns.

Or... you could just restrict new players from getting prime content... until they've unlocked the void, or done a quest that explains relics or something? 

At least then they wouldn't be exposed to all the prime gear till a little into the game when they've learned about the normal ways of obtaining things

This is a self solving problem - most players that accept free Prime items, in my experience, wont stick with the game for long.

That being said, these players having Prime items don't really hurt nor hinder my own gameplay.  Since the game revolves around Mods more than anything else, these new players will get discouraged by how often they die. Or, if their friends are supplying them with items, they'll find the game too easy and leave.

On 9/21/2017 at 4:42 PM, Razzburiez said:

Remember this is just my humble opinion, granted an unpopular one.

MR only means how many weapons you leveled. It doesn't really gauge the "power" or "experience" of a player. Some guy could just like a few frames and a few weapons and have been playing for 4 years! according to you this theoretical guy would be a "noob".

On 9/22/2017 at 4:42 AM, Razzburiez said:

I see no problem, just someone whom got jealous due to plat players, free-bie or something else. It kinda of annoys me when someone dictate what one can do with the item in 'their' possession.

1) MR means S#&$.

2) It's those players money, not yours. It's theirs to spend, not your's to hold.

3) They could be new players whom to referred/ introduced by a old players. So it's the old player's item not yours. What they want to do with the item is theirs, not yours.

4) A player can play the game without passing or even trying the MR test.

I dont see a issue with newer players having the option right now till POE is released an the free prime with prime promotion is ended. Newer players having chance to get a frame that will let them if they pay attention on how an build it properly.
Yes i know frost was the first prime that came out an alot of people got butt hurt that you could easily get him with the whole prime with prime, but people still would have complained if it was any other prime frame.

your idea of needing to have mastered the non prime variant of a item means that euphona an reaper prime would be unusable do to the fact they have no normal variant, tho there is the ether reaper.
So any prime weapon that has no non prime version would be only gained through buying prime accesses.

Tho it just sounds like your angry that people doing the prime with prime or buying prime access while you have farmed for your items.
Game is F2P but does offer way to support the games growth instead of having a monthly subscription fee 

The biggest problem that I have with the concept of prime locking the way it's being pitched, is actually the acquisition of the non primes. Take Saryn for example. We're now seeing boss redux work and this horrible mechanic of forced grind just to get the option of facing the boss. We see it with Kela and Ambulas now. We have no idea what's in store in that particular area for any other upcoming boss reworks ether. Saryn Prime is easily 100% easier to get than the regular version if only because you don't have to sit there and mindlessly grind out rathuum just to get there. I have full faith that Excal prime would be the same issue if he was available as well. Heck, it's only a matter of time before Limbo and other quest frames get the treatment too and the rng off the quests have proven a problem much more often in the past just to get the regular versions. No joke or inflation on the time, but it took me over a full year just to get the pods bp drop to do the new strange. Rng is a fickle loot god. Basing any prerequisites on that means that they MUST fix issues like that first before it can be a valid standard.