Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Worst Line in Warframe?

(XBOX)Tucker D Dawg

Ordis: Great job, Ordis. Ship Cephalon? More like Ship Fail-bot.

I just don't like it when Ordis puts himself down. That and this was just a terrible way to do it... Fail-bot? Really? Say something like "Scrap pile" or "Useless junk" if you're going to insult a machine. (I know he's not really a machine, but he tends to describe himself as one anyways. And I don't dislike Ordis to any extent. Except for one thing. He doesn't like himself. That's the one thing I dislike most in any person no matter who it is.)

1 hour ago, Kinetos said:

Yep.

Anyway, time to elaborate a little!

Look DE, by now you have to have heard this hundreds of times, but just in case this is the one thread that y'all actually look at....

The Operator voice packs are terrible. The voice acting itself is serviceable, but the writing is completely atrocious.

First off, the writing does some very odd things to the presentation of the Tenno. Apparently, the Tenno have been awake and active in the Sol system, in this time period, for several years now, have built hidden Dojos, have researched and designed upgraded variants of Grineer and Corpus weapons. Even in the time period before hibernation, the Tenno were described as having used Orokin techniques to design Prime weapons, and were explicitly described as having a warrior culture which produced the great Focus Schools of Void techniques. Ok. So, who actually did all of those things? You see, it certainly wasn't the Operators we have now. Those Operators, the writing goes out of its way to make abundantly clear, have barely any idea of what is going on. After years of fighting the Corpus, they have concluded that the Corpus are a cult, worshipping money? How astute. After years of wiping out Infestations, they think the Infestation absorbs its victims? Really?

Guys. It's like whoever did the writing was told "The Operators are children," and went into a sort of mental vapour lock where they said "Cool. I know how to write children," and completely forgot that they were supposed to be writing the Tenno.

That aside, there's also whether the characterisation is 'good'. The answer is no, not really. For every person who says that they like how the Operators are written, you have a hundred people saying that they really hate the way the Tenno are written as naive, petulant brats. 

Just to be clear, a lot of this is not coming from a place of resenting that the Operators exist at all. I have in the past described the idea of the Operators as being 'Metal Gear af'. The revelation that the Warframes are battle-corpses being piloted by comatose drone jockey child-jedi is really cool.

The revelation that the pilots have learned literally nothing from their time as Warframe pilots and that they do not in any way at all have the emotional maturity one would hope for from a competent warrior....that revelation is not so great. Please recognise the difference there.

In practical terms, there's also the fact that we have been listening to this gabbling inanity for two years. Two years of the game's development, DE. Two years, in which absolutely no change has been made. You gave us a quest which was supposed to be partly about unlocking the Operator's memories, and forcing the Operator to grow or die, and in the aftermath of it, the Operator dialogue was not updated at all. "I will consider what I have learned from this skirmish," except they never do. 

It's been two years DE. If the Tenno were literally growing up in real time, they'd have matured a lot by now. This is the rejoinder to one potential answer, you see, that the Tenno are supposed to be petulant and rather contemptible right now, so that we can have a character arc which turns them into mature, capable, respectable protagonists. The issue there is that you don't have sixty hours of playtime over the course of a single AAA release to tell a coherent story with a personal arc. Your cinematic quests are released at a rate of one per year. At this rate, by the time the Tenno are not contemptible little coprolites, it will have been ten years.

Now, you are about to drop Plains of Eidolon, and I bet you haven't fixed any of this, have you. You guys are trying to say "The Operators are warriors now!" but it's just gonna be crippled by the fact that they still talk like stunned, naive, petulant twelve year old children.

Please notice that this criticism is both a critique of the concept you are going for, and the way in which it is implemented.
See, I think that the idea of writing the Operators as secretly fragile and naive children is in itself a flawed concept for the game and for the context in which we find ourselves, because we then must ask how it is that the Tenno have been capable of anything if this is all that they have ever been.

Even then, if we accept this concept, that the Tenno have secretly always been fragile and naive children who must now experience and grow and become in truth what they always seemed to be, that concept is still let down by the way you're doing it. Two years, DE. Two years of "That was a close one!"

Just to put some of this in context:

DE programmed the Mandachord, a virtual musical instrument with multiple recordable presets, a mini-game to set it up, and purchasable extra tones for Platinum. You did this work for one Warframe, Octavia.

You won't program a dialogue wheel for the Operator.

Look, just please don't ever say anything like "Man, why don't people like Operators, we're working so hard on making them cool." 
There is a big heap of multiple years' worth of feedback on this.

Thank you.

Edited by BornWithTeeth

Honestly, when I originally started playing I was extremely irritated with anything Lotus said where she pronounced her Os strictly because I couldn't figure out if she was Canadian, Minnesotan, or what and it just got to me for no reason. This was before I learned that DE was a Canadian Company and then I was like "Oooooooh".

Oh, and anything the Operator says. Horrid voice and really out of place and forced lines.

Worst line?

Can I have multiple though?
Most of the Lotus dialogue during LoR, "don't call me a child" , all of Teshin's dialogue, majority of the generic Operator lines, "I'm very excited now. The anticipation. Ooh. I always learn so much... from a live dissection. A dissection? No, no no no, that sounds too humane. Your death will be... painful." (it is called vivisection you idiot =.=), the "star child" routine during the harrow quest line.

1 hour ago, Teksorbkyva said:

"We fought with honor."

idk maybe you did in the Old War, Operator-chan, but I'm busy putting a Grineer legion to sleep, performing a narta in front of them, then delivering a headshot to each of their faces while they can't fight back.

This just made me laugh.  Thank you Tenno.  :D

18 minutes ago, rapt0rman said:

Definitely have to go with "My warframe is strong!" 

That quote is the one I like the most.  Just sounds great with Raven voice right after I've just went "Beast Mode".  

12 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

This just made me laugh.  Thank you Tenno.  :D

That quote is the one I like the most.  Just sounds great with Raven voice right after I've just went "Beast Mode".  

Just seems like bizarre thing to say.

Maybe it's just the voice that I chose, but it feels like speaking a painfully obvious observation out loud to no one in particular.

"my cat is brown!" he said in an empty room.

(But I suppose that's why I have operator comments turned off in general)

Edited by rapt0rman

"What is that thing? Quick destroy it" 
Lotus i destroyed too many kuva Siphons and the same goes for other Tenno
and you still dont know what they are, why??

I also agree that most of the operator quotes are awful.

To think positive Darvo has some good quotes:

"We got the artifact: The Potent Orokin Technical Augmentation and Tactical Offensive device. Haha! It's super hard to say, Potato."
or 
"I'm detecting a large security force heading your way... it's the Grineer... no wait, it's the Corpus. Definitely the Corpus"

"They'll have plenty of Robotics. Corpus never fight for themselves."
NEVER FIGHT FOR THEMSELVES

WTF are you saying kiddo ? You fight with a mind-controlled overpowered semi-organic space robot while sitting on your Orbiter HIDDEN IN THE VOID ! It's ridiculous...

2 hours ago, (Xbox One)ultimategamerjr said:

Most of what Ordis says...

I prefer Ordis to the operator

I have no serious issues with either, I can even accept that within the context of events of the game my operator is realistically going to be a cringy young tart, but I sincerely hope DE has plans to follow through with the whole "Your decisions define you" to mature our operators at a minimum. That's a permanent change I wouldn't mind being irreversible as long as the new voice lines aren't awful.

2 hours ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Yep.

Anyway, time to elaborate a little!

Look DE, by now you have to have heard this hundreds of times, but just in case this is the one thread that y'all actually look at....

The Operator voice packs are terrible. The voice acting itself is serviceable, but the writing is completely atrocious.

First off, the writing does some very odd things to the presentation of the Tenno. Apparently, the Tenno have been awake and active in the Sol system, in this time period, for several years now, have built hidden Dojos, have researched and designed upgraded variants of Grineer and Corpus weapons. Even in the time period before hibernation, the Tenno were described as having used Orokin techniques to design Prime weapons, and were explicitly described as having a warrior culture which produced the great Focus Schools of Void techniques. Ok. So, who actually did all of those things? You see, it certainly wasn't the Operators we have now. Those Operators, the writing goes out of its way to make abundantly clear, have barely any idea of what is going on. After years of fighting the Corpus, they have concluded that the Corpus are a cult, worshipping money? How astute. After years of wiping out Infestations, they think the Infestation absorbs its victims? Really?

Guys. It's like whoever did the writing was told "The Operators are children," and went into a sort of mental vapour lock where they said "Cool. I know how to write children," and completely forgot that they were supposed to be writing the Tenno.

That aside, there's also whether the characterisation is 'good'. The answer is no, not really. For every person who says that they like how the Operators are written, you have a hundred people saying that they really hate the way the Tenno are written as naive, petulant brats. 

Just to be clear, a lot of this is not coming from a place of resenting that the Operators exist at all. I have in the past described the idea of the Operators as being 'Metal Gear af'. The revelation that the Warframes are battle-corpses being piloted by comatose drone jockey child-jedi is really cool.

The revelation that the pilots have learned literally nothing from their time as Warframe pilots and that they do not in any way at all have the emotional maturity one would hope for from a competent warrior....that revelation is not so great. Please recognise the difference there.

In practical terms, there's also the fact that we have been listening to this gabbling inanity for two years. Two years of the game's development, DE. Two years, in which absolutely no change has been made. You gave us a quest which was supposed to be partly about unlocking the Operator's memories, and forcing the Operator to grow or die, and in the aftermath of it, the Operator dialogue was not updated at all. "I will consider what I have learned from this skirmish," except they never do. 

It's been two years DE. If the Tenno were literally growing up in real time, they'd have matured a lot by now. This is the rejoinder to one potential answer, you see, that the Tenno are supposed to be petulant and rather contemptible right now, so that we can have a character arc which turns them into mature, capable, respectable protagonists. The issue there is that you don't have sixty hours of playtime over the course of a single AAA release to tell a coherent story with a personal arc. Your cinematic quests are released at a rate of one per year. At this rate, by the time the Tenno are not contemptible little coprolites, it will have been ten years.

Now, you are about to drop Plains of Eidolon, and I bet you haven't fixed any of this, have you. You guys are trying to say "The Operators are warriors now!" but it's just gonna be crippled by the fact that they still talk like stunned, naive, petulant twelve year old children.

Please notice that this criticism is both a critique of the concept you are going for, and the way in which it is implemented.
See, I think that the idea of writing the Operators as secretly fragile and naive children is in itself a flawed concept for the game and for the context in which we find ourselves, because we then must ask how it is that the Tenno have been capable of anything if this is all that they have ever been.

Even then, if we accept this concept, that the Tenno have secretly always been fragile and naive children who must now experience and grow and become in truth what they always seemed to be, that concept is still let down by the way you're doing it. Two years, DE. Two years of "That was a close one!"

Just to put some of this in context:

DE programmed the Mandachord, a virtual musical instrument with multiple recordable presets, a mini-game to set it up, and purchasable extra tones for Platinum. You did this work for one Warframe, Octavia.

You won't program a dialogue wheel for the Operator.

Look, just please don't ever say anything like "Man, why don't people like Operators, we're working so hard on making them cool." 
There is a big heap of multiple years' worth of feedback on this.

Thank you.

Thank you @BornWithTeeth for pointing out how the flawed writing lower the overall implementation of the operators in the game. 

DE there are plenty of books, anime and video games out there that uses the same child soldier and forsaken child tropes without making them into clueless stunted children that never learn from their experiences. 

In Anime you have excellent examples in a few more recent works like Gunslinger Girl and Jormungand. 

From literature few series come close to be as fitting as Enders Game. 

• 4 weeks later...