The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is having Prime variant important for you psychologically?

Altagraive

I saw a bunch of Excaliburs Primes in pubs recently and thought stroke me.

If, say, I were to main an Excalibur I'd naturally wanted to play the definitive version of the frame, and with how Warframe is, the definitive version is always the Prime. It has unique look, full access to all skins available to regular version, and of course bonus stats, for that sweet minmaxing self-indulging. Polarities don't matter since you can always drop a forma or two, but inherent stat boosts go a long way into the endgame like adding a good deal of EHP or duration with larger energy pool etc etc.

But of course the word "Prime" is the jewel in the crown of owning the definitive version of your favourite, that's how human mind is, if you have regular stick and stick prime, you'll unavoidably prefer stick prime, even if it's identical to regular one beyond the label.

And the sole thought of me not being able to play my main's prime version is absolutely dreadful, to the point that thank god Excal is not my favourite frame, even though he's in top 5 easily. I'd probably wouldn't even be able to play the game knowing that I will never, ever have the best version of my main.

So my question is how do people in this situation deal with it? Is it not important to you? Have this ever affected your emotions from playing the game? How do you look at umbra? It is good alternative, or does it still feel not good enough?

And those of you who main other frames, how would you feel about denying you prime variant? Because all other frames either have or will inevitably get prime variant that will be 100% available.

If your main doesn't still have prime, will you settle for darker and edgier umbra version instead of golden and regal one?

Or maybe I'm just a petty person, and most people don't care about labels and minmaxing at all?

Edited by Altagraive

Nope but it does define how likely I am to forma a frame. 

If there is a prime variant I'm not going to forma the non prime version purely due to knowing I'll use the prime one with overall better stats when I get it.  Only prime and the most recent non prime frames get forma added in my case.

If I get them, I get them, if I don't, I don't.   I still use the normal Nekros over the Prime.   Have both, but just not willing to forma the frame to match my old faithful version.   Its already does sorties, and with no higher content in sight, no point.   Have not bothered collecting Hydroid or Mirage Primes.  I'll casually collect the parts and decide if it looks nice enough I might bother forma'ing them.   They are nice, but if not good enough without it, then you are not good enough with it.

18 minutes ago, Altagraive said:

I saw a bunch of Excaliburs Primes in pubs recently and thought stroke me.

If, say, I were to main an Excalibur I'd naturally wanted to play the definitive version of the frame, and with how Warframe is, the definitive version is always the Prime. It has unique look, full access to all skins available to regular version, and of course bonus stats, for that sweet minmaxing self-indulging. Polarities don't matter since you can always drop a forma or two, but inherent stat boosts go a long way into the endgame like adding a good deal of EHP or duration with larger energy pool etc etc.

But of course the word "Prime" is the jewel in the crown of owning the definitive version of your favourite, that's how human mind is, if you have regular stick and stick prime, you'll unavoidably prefer stick prime, even if it's identical to regular one beyond the label.

And the sole thought of me not being able to play my main's prime version is absolutely dreadful, to the point that thank god Excal is not my favourite frame, even though he's in top 5 easily. I'd probably wouldn't even be able to play the game knowing that I will never, ever have the best version of my main.

So my question is how do people in this situation deal with it? Is it not important to you? Have this ever affected your emotions from playing the game? How do you look at umbra? It is good alternative, or does it still feel not good enough?

And those of you who main other frames, how would you feel about denying you prime variant? Because all other frames either have or will inevitably get prime variant that will be 100% available.

If your main doesn't still have prime, will you settle for darker and edgier umbra version instead of golden and regal one?

Or maybe I'm just a petty person, and most people don't care about labels and minmaxing at all?

Lol.  So artfully done, OP.  Kudos.

Your strategy was sound, but still a BIT to "on the nose".

I admire  an "Excal Prime complaint" thread that is so well disguised, but still expect the inevitable lock 😉.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

Eh, i personally prefer prime frames of my favourites because they tend to be nicer and i enjoy messing about fashionframing up with them. Shiny things are shiny after all.

Then there is the min maxing aspect of it. Extra free stats are free stats that i'd happily take. The pre-placed forma is nothing but a convenience to me as i can go farm some up on a lith key pretty fast and i am in no way, shape or form low on resources to craft that forma up.

On to the actual topic that isn't me rambling. I don't have a "favourite" frame, just i'm a hair away from MR 25 and i've leveled all of my S#&$ though playing with it (I despised draco when it was a thing, would be lying if i didn't use it to forma and level some weapons that made me feel terrible playing the game).  

To answer your question though with non primed flavors of the day i deal with it knowing that simply it's prime will come soon enough, only time i start "feeling" anything about it is during the time when they start teasing the new prime, it's that time i just feel "I wanna have the shiny and get MR". 

Has it ever effected my emotions? Meh. Sometimes i start to play the frame before it gets primed to get back into the feel and look at what build i wanna put on it. So it having a prime teaser has made whatever that frame is more likely selected when i'm not doing anything that needs a certain frame.

Is it or is it not important to me? Nah, not really.

Couldn't give a fart about umbra till i know more about it. As far as i care it's just a fancy un-released skin. Not it's own thing nor worthy of remembering.

14 minutes ago, Altagraive said:

And those of you who main other frames, how would you feel about denying you prime variant?

I don't know what you mean by this question.

At the time after messing about with mirage i've already grown tired of her. My current two flavors of the day are zephyr and mesa. Two frames that are so different yet so much the same. On this note i will say i'd be disappointed if mesa steals the prime slot for it. Just feels like a insult to zephyr (Granted, she does need a re-work. In my eyes she only has 3 abilities. One of those is her passive, the other is her 1 and the last being her 3. 2 is a joke that should be merged with 1 (When you look downwards) and her 4 is too... annoying to use unless it's a panic button).

Would i like a zephyr/mesa umbra? As said before i still just think of it as a shiny skin. Not much to remember about it till there is something more to it.

I guess you could say most of my responses are just wait and see what happens.

It matters to me only in exclusivity. Primes get vaulted, often for long periods of time and there's no telling if primes that were unvaulted then revaulted will be unvaulted again later.

For that reason, I collect every prime I can and spend any plat necessary to increase warframe and weapon capacity. I'll also throw away any standard equivalents if I own their prime version, even if I put a potato on them and several forma. I main Nidus and you can be sure that when its his turn to be primed, I'll be grinding myself to death to get him and then throw away his standard version.

Edited by Pizzarugi

I've said it once, I'll say it again. Excal P is not very good. Actually, when they released him they did not want him to have ANY extra stats. He just had a bug where his shield recharge was slightly faster. Ever since then, each prime has had some type of "boost". 

I do have every prime frame yet, I mainly only have them because of the extra boost in power. Other then that, I don't care on how shiny they are. 

Mag Prime i longed for months, then forgot about once I had the plat to get the skins. And those skin/helmet variations amused me to no end. 

This topic is actually good timing since I will be a humble Mag Prime owner tomorrow. Yes I’m excited no doubt. It even came to me in a dream! The energy on the helmet was shown to me the day I got it on trade lol, so I knew it was coming and it was meant to be. Even knew the price I was gonna pay for it intuitively. Cool gift from the Lotus. 

That could prolly answer the question on how connected the Tenno is to their mainframe l. Transference is strong. 

By the way I have Primes passively farmed but do not feel excited to build even until now. That’s another sign your main is the prime you deserve. Sybaris bp also finally dropped today so I’ll take that as a sign that they will be paired

Edited by (PS4)Chel-El

The only difference that primes make is that they look better as in, they have objectively better textures - regular frames especially old ones look like plastic dolls compared to most primes and many tennogen skins. Since fashionframe is endgame in warframe, it's only natural that most will prefer primes to regular frames.

51 minutes ago, Nakrast said:

I ''main'' Excalibur, while i would love to have his Prime version, my greedy side is beaten by my thankful side (thankful to the founders that made this game possible), so it's not TOO bad for me, plus Umbra is coming.

About the same. There is also one regular weapon I keep, even with the prime. The Braton's practically even damage makes me hold on to it.

It's a mixed bag for me.  

I like putting in the effort for the Prime variant because it typically is a straight upgrade, and the Death Orb interaction is a nice bonus because of how much time I spend in the Void.  But it doesn't rustle my jimmies not to have the Prime version.  I just view t hem as "is it better for my play style? Can I get a skin to make it prettier to me?" and go from there. 

I have a strong preference for the 'Prime' version of everything I use (whenever possible) as a form of psychological future-proofing. If I devote time and resources to the Prime version, then I know that my work will not be obsoleted in a later update with the release of a new version that's stronger in every way.

The only reason I desire Prime items is because they are typically improved over their base variant. Better stats, better aesthetics, etc.

However, I dont make a big deal about it. It's not like "omg gotta have it right now!" For a good week now I've been sitting on all the parts and prints needed to build Burston Prime and Paris Prime but I've not built them because I don't have available slots, and I have enough other weapons already built that need to be leveled up. They'll get built in time.

I passively farm for prime items. Typically I'll do a bunch of bounties on the Plains for lith and meso relics, then run fissures for a while to get rid of them. Either I get a prime part I need/want, or I get ducat-fodder. Win/Win for me.

So, no. It's not psychologically important at all, for me, to have prime versions of gear. I get by just fine with regular gear: I just get by better with prime gear.