Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Old beams were better

Cicasajt

Ramp up feature ruins the wole poin of beam weapons. they are supposed to be these laser beam things that just swipe around cutting through enemies. DE doesnt get this. they used to as we can see on void defense missions. there is that insta-killing laser beam you can activate. i used to play beams like that too. singing my mouse, hitting enemies but now i cant. they ruined beams by making us aim at a single target and trace it perfectly in order to not deal only 10% of the damage. if i tried to play beam like they are supposed to be played they would be weaker than before the rework. i thought the rework was amazing until i looked at it in more depth. simulacrum testing shows how good they are against a single enemy that u can trace but they are bad against a moving target and groupes of enemies -the things they should be good at killing. 

i would suggest to nerf them all but remove the ramp up feature

Edited by Cicasajt

clarified:

i see what you mean. having a spool-up is fine, but having it reset per target is pretty stupid. I'd rather it take like 5 or 10 seconds to fully spool up, not being lost when you change targets and slowly un-spooling instead of resetting when you stop shooting.

Edited by Mk_1

Beam weapons are objectively more effective. There is no argument in favor of your point that is not embedded in personal preference and perhaps nostalgia.

Case and point, well... the sheer kill-per-second and dps are insanely higher. Both popular and unpopular beam weapons were brought up to par with some of the strongest weapons in the game and in some cases even surpassed them. 

Sure, the ramp up time is a caveat. I would have preferred the 0.8 time as opposed to the new 1.0  time, but this hardly detracts from how much better  every single beam weapon currently is.

Edited by Tellakey

10 minutes ago, JuicyButthurt said:

Define "old beams".

Do you mean their initial glory? The abysmal state they were after their initial rework, Status/s and all that? The initial rework and rebalance we've received recently, .8s rampup etc.?

i mean the old just before the rework, not the very old

@davej83 @Mk_1 @Matak-FR added a video 

Edited by Cicasajt

All I'm seeing is 'I can't aim for ****, please make the game easy again'.

However, I for one think that games should reward skill, and my opinion of DE will only improve as they continue to nerf all the easy-mode cheese in this game, like guns where you can hold down the trigger, wave them around in the vague direction of the enemy, and get the highest damage for the team.

Edited by polarity

4 minutes ago, polarity said:

I for one like the idea that games reward skill.

you miss my point entirely. old beams werent easy but at least they could be used as beam weapons should be used. now you have to aim with them precisely like with a siper rifle and trace your target. i can aim but if u want to aim go use snipers. i dont want to aim os i wanna use beams. 

7 hours ago, Cicasajt said:

Ramp up feature ruins the wole poin of beam weapons. they are supposed to be these laser beam things that just swipe around cutting through enemies. DE doesnt get this.

So you know better what some weapon concepts are supposed to be than their own creators, that imagined everything about them, from shape to mechanics? :crylaugh:

There are plenty of weapons that will deal high damage instantly. The beam weapons have their own unique category now: after the damage ramp up, they seem to be able to deal the most DPS + status of pretty much anything else in the whole game. Of course, that makes them best suited for high level missions (or very low levels ones).

Edited by -N7-Leonhart

7 hours ago, polarity said:

However, I for one think that games should reward skill, and my opinion of DE will only improve as they continue to nerf all the easy-mode cheese in this game, like guns where you can hold down the trigger, wave them around in the vague direction of the enemy, and get the highest damage for the team.

the problem is that you now focus too long on each single weak enemy,rather than just dashing through the way weaker ones and focusing on the heavies,you now have to focus on each little weak enemy in the game,we can all aim,we hate over focusing on each little weak enemy

Edited by iceyShardZ

1 hour ago, -N7-Leonhart said:

So you know better what some weapon concepts are supposed to be than their own creators, that imagined everything about them, from shape to mechanics? :crylaugh:

There are plenty of weapons that will deal high damage instantly. The beam weapons have their own unique category now: after the damage ramp up, they seem to be able to deal the most DPS + status of pretty much anything else in the whole game. Of course, that makes them best suited for high level missions (or very low levels ones).

you are very wrong and you just show how little you think. beam weapons are for swinging . beam weapons dont ramp up, its the target that ramps up and loses that instantly when missed even for 1 tick. if creators knew everything so well there wouldnt be reworks or other changes

The new beams are objectively better.  The one problem they have now is the ramp-up mechanic.

Compared to the sorry, S#&$ty state they were for the past 4 years, there is no comparison.

Here: 

courtesy of @Soup2504:

from thread:

This was before the most recent ramp-up change, but most of the time the user in the video has the reticle on the target.

Edited by Insizer

11 minutes ago, Cicasajt said:

beam weapons are for swinging. beam weapons dont ramp up

since when, and says who?  Many beam weapons in video games are meant for focusing on one target and have ramp up damage.

Edited by Insizer

People saying skill should reward you...

I need to focus on an enemy for perhaps more than one second because of spool up for normal damage while rolling around and dodging? Aim is easy, you guys must just play volt and stay behind his shield.

The ramp per enemy should either have the ramp time reduced or reverted to ramp on fire and decay upon stopping. Ramp time starting from shooting should take longer.

For those of you saying it's better than the old status/sec days. Hell yeah it's better, but why's that an excuse? Give me feedback on what you think of the current beam's ramp up function. Don't compare the S#&$ past to now, DE aren't going to revert the changes to back then.

Edited by Ozent

Lol, that is bullS#&$ and you know it.

From 30 to lvl 140 enemies (1h) survival my trusty Convetrix was performing just fine.

Only then I saw damage slowly drop off.

Essentially in all regular game modes beam weapons perform well. Taking ignis wraith through any starchart mission is like droping a nuke.

Spool up is needed, otherwise everything would instantly die... Or weapons would get lower damage and would suck again.

Only real problem is finding the time and content to use them on...

22 minutes ago, Eljureo said:

Lol, that is bullS#&$ and you know it.

From 30 to lvl 140 enemies (1h) survival my trusty Convetrix was performing just fine.

Only then I saw damage slowly drop off.

Essentially in all regular game modes beam weapons perform well. Taking ignis wraith through any starchart mission is like droping a nuke.

Spool up is needed, otherwise everything would instantly die... Or weapons would get lower damage and would suck again.

Only real problem is finding the time and content to use them on...

Hows the convectrix alt fire working for ya? Oh yeah, it only deals 10% base damage about 100% of the time.

Also, who said they would nerf the weapons if the current spool up was changed? Don't draw those conclusions by yourself lol, it's misleading.

Edited by Ozent

15 minutes ago, Ozent said:

Hows the convectrix alt fire working for ya? Oh yeah, it only deals 10% base damage about 100% of the time.

Hey, it does a lot of slash procs to every enemy it sweeps! I've seen procs do damage as high as thirteen a second!
(Also, it only does 5%, since the damage is halved between the two beams.)

Really there just needs to be more variation in the mechanic, It works as is for some of the beam weapons, but not all of them.

I mean, for one thing, aside from a few they're all pretty much the same absurdly powerful, colorful spray of crits and corrosive or slash procs now, not that that's a bad thing, but maybe one or two of them could have their max potential tuned down a bit and have their damage properly front loaded. Among many other ways they could be diversified.

1 hour ago, Insizer said:

since when, and says who?  video games have ramp up damage.

you just cut my sentence in half so it has a different meaning...

this is a different game and you rarely encounter only one enemy. and i have no problem with the ramp up but the problem is the ramp up per target. imagine if all weapons worked this way. you miss a bullet or change targets and you deal only 10% dmg scaling up in a given time. that would be silly. the whole mechanic is unnecessary. jsut dont buff beams so much and we dont need the whole ramp up thing.