The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Story Spoilers] How would you all feel if we aged?

So, to preface this, I want to say that our Operators as they are, are mentally mature.  Just counting the number of years the Old War must have taken, and how long we were "awake" before the second dream.  They just have the bodies of early teenagers, it seems like.

I don't know about the biology of it, to be honest.  Tenno don't seemingly eat, drink, or have other bodily functions that don't bear repeating.  Our ship certainly doesn't accommodate for it, but we are physically capable of drinking as seen when and if we drunk the kool-aid at the end of War Within. 

What do you all think?

Spoiler

P.S. I'm only suggesting this because I want this idea to gain traction so that we could have beards and other facial hair on adult male operators.

I don't think DE will age them up. It seems they're going for the Neon Genesis Evangelion vibe with the story. I would welcome that change happily, but I doubt it will happen.

Also I respectfully disagree with the opinion that our Operators are mentally mature. They display whiny brat behaviour on many occasions, most notably TWW.

Just now, Ragingwasabi said:

they are most defnitely not mentally mature. havent u seen the dialogue for the TWW? nothing but cringy brats talking. not sure if intended or just bad writing

1 minute ago, (PS4)BLOOD-LINE-01 said:

I don't think DE will age them up. It seems they're going for the Neon Genesis Evangelion vibe with the story. I would welcome that change happily, but I doubt it will happen.

Also I respectfully disagree with the opinion that our Operators are mentally mature. They display whiny brat behaviour on many occasions, most notably TWW.

Just now, CheezThePimp said:

I dont think the edgy teen will always get old due to Void magic.

That's just because the main character is having identity issues.  I can only really think of two instances where they act childish and belligerent, and that's when they tell Teshin that they can't tell them what to do, and when the lotus implies that nothing is their fault.  Though that latter part is actually showing quite a lot of maturity and responsibility. 
Otherwise, the Tenno shown in the quests reacts immediately and efficiently to threats, processes a lot of emotional shock quite well, and shows a lot of initiative and willingness to take responsibility.  As well as being able to take a bone through the leg and rip it out like it's nothing!
That's not exactly what you'd expect out of a preteen.  Even accounting the "dark" choices, which that's the only real time I could say the Tenno in question is edgy. 

1 minute ago, Gaminus said:

That's just because the main character is having identity issues.

I.e; whiny brat. 

2 minutes ago, Gaminus said:

Otherwise, the Tenno shown in the quests reacts immediately and efficiently to threats, processes a lot of emotional shock quite well, and shows a lot of initiative and willingness to take responsibility.  As well as being able to take a bone through the leg and rip it out like it's nothing!

I think that's more of a lack of general awareness. They do not act like people who have been forced to kill their own parents, forced into a machine so their minds were unwillingly placed in other bodies to be used as weapons and toppled an empire of pseudo-immortal god kings.

"Stop calling me a kid Mom!" Isn't really the sort of attitude you would expect from a supposedly battle-hardened, "mature" 1000 year old Demigod.

I am one of those peoples whom hate the operators and boycott the second dream quest and if they just slightly more adult then it would not be a problem for me to adopt. I don't like the emo kids and any changes which make them more interesting and less canon fodder is welcomed by me. At least more face, voice types, customization options in general and an option to turn off all the transmissions what I don't want. This include lotus too whom saying the same things in every single mission. Just please, do it.

I think de will age them since they said they wana make hem "the warrior" and as it is alot of people hate the fact that they ir playing with little kids....and if we wold slowly mature that wold be kinda cool we matured in the wwt now in the planes we matured some more i think we ir geting there....slowly...but yeah i wold pay plat for a mature version of operator

Would ruin the entire point of having them made kids, really. Instead of the contrast between small and frail looking space wizard kid and mutant warrior warframes, you'd end up with a generic looking scifi dude/chick and a mutant dude/chick. It'd rather have no Operator than an older one.

As far as mental maturity goes, they're definitely not adults stuck in the bodies of children. Lotus put it best when she said that they were "more than human, but once a child like any other". Look up the concept of embodied cognition, it applies to the Tenno as they spend a lot of time experiencing the world through the bodies of warframes, which in return shapes how they evolve as a person. Add to that (forced?) amnesia, from which they're only slowly recovering, and you end up with a child soldier that has lost most of their memories about their childhood previous to being used as a weapon, and spends most of their days in a VR cockpit executing drone strikes. They're fracked up kids, but still kids.

Edited by AuroraSonicBoom

I wouldn’t mind since I don’t really use the operators that often, I only use the operator for Zenurik and Fashion Kid and that’s about it. With them maturing, I hope that they would become more of a tank in battle, because if they did, I would use the operator a lot more.

I would like to have a more mature operator. I don't mind the operator starting out as a child - that's fine and dandy in my book, it's a fitting beginning for a character.

But being endlessly stuck there feels a bit... meh.

To answer you, , if they have the appearance of a teenager and act like teenagers, it's because they are teenagers, I remind you that tehir were cryogenic during their adolescence, we do not know how much time goes between the second dream quest and the inner war quest but it does not have to be much. So, they are normal humans with powers of nothingness (it's just the update who take time to comming :p).

3 minutes ago, (PS4)BLOOD-LINE-01 said:

I.e; whiny brat. 

I think that's more of a lack of general awareness. They do not act like people who have been forced to kill their own parents, forced into a machine so their minds were unwillingly placed in other bodies to be used as weapons and toppled an empire of pseudo-immortal god kings.

"Stop calling me a kid Mom!" Isn't really the sort of attitude you would expect from a supposedly battle-hardened, "mature" 1000 year old Demigod.

The Tenno's exact words were "Don't make excuses for me."
But otherwise, I'd hazard to say being awake for a long time and having a surrogate mother as well as siblings probably helps a lot with the trauma, as does the forced amnesia.  It was probably all still registering by the time of TWW's ending.  Otherwise, a lot of soldier training and maybe some meditation type stuff probably helps with the processing.

19 minutes ago, AuroraSonicBoom said:

Would ruin the entire point of having them made kids, really. Instead of the contrast between small and frail looking space wizard kid and mutant warrior warframes, you'd end up with a generic looking scifi dude/chick and a mutant dude/chick. It'd rather have no Operator than an older one.

As far as mental maturity goes, they're definitely not adults stuck in the bodies of children. Lotus put it best when she said that they were "more than human, but once a child like any other". Look up the concept of embodied cognition, it applies to the Tenno as they spend a lot of time experiencing the world through the bodies of warframes, which in return shapes how they evolve as a person. Add to that (forced?) amnesia, from which they're only slowly recovering, and you end up with a child soldier that has lost most of their memories about their childhood previous to being used as a weapon, and spends most of their days in a VR cockpit executing drone strikes. They're fracked up kids, but still kids.

The problem I have with this is that the Tenno, even in Warframe forms, didn't spend 100% of their time fighting.  They had enough "off-time" to create:
1. A whole language system

2. Several distinct schools of martial discipline

3. Their own weapon (Melee and Ballistic) forging techniques.

4. Master several dozen different archetypes of melee weapons and firearms

5. Learn advanced physics (Limbo)

6. Their own architecture

7. Other forms of artisanry

It's not as if each individual Tenno learned ALL of these skills, but they had enough time to develop as a subculture, and even as something of a myth during their "contemporary" era among regular soldiers.  That implies at least a decade if not two, especially considering the advanced, multi-dimensional physics shenanigans of Limbo.  To say nothing of the engineering knowledge that must equal several modern day degree courses and their prerequisite education. 

To bad for anyone who wants aging Operators, because as Lore goes the Tenno have imprints of themselves in the Void, and because of this, much like the 7 Emperors, they are literally immortal and undying. The Tenno will never age as long as this imprint last in the Timeless Void, and will never die so long as one with Oro does not consume their Oro. (It's why your Operator can get shot full of bullets, but come right back to life out of their Warframe moments later)

I WILL point out though that, yeah, the way they act in voice lines IS very immature and bratty, and I would love to see them reconnect with their past selves (you know, the ones that literally set up the Schools of Focus and Martial Arts) and grow more mentally mature as they once were before the Thousand Year sleep. ("Wake up, Tenno! You're acting like an annoying brat!!!")

18 minutes ago, Gaminus said:

It's not as if each individual Tenno learned ALL of these skills, but they had enough time to develop as a subculture, and even as something of a myth during their "contemporary" era among regular soldiers.  That implies at least a decade if not two, especially considering the advanced, multi-dimensional physics shenanigans of Limbo.  To say nothing of the engineering knowledge that must equal several modern day degree courses and their prerequisite education.

And most of their lives they have forgotten and are now in the process of barely starting to remember. A child soldier is a child soldier, regardless of whether they played with legos or did their homework in between shooting their AK74s at an attacking neighboring tribe. The Tenno still only know fragments of their past. They remember focus, they remember what happened with their parents, but that's about it.

Personaly, it would make me feel more happy to have the Operator onboard and less immersion breaking (Im one of those older tennos who played before these brats where in the game). Starting as a kid and see them age as times goes on, may it be from quests or updates would be a pretty neat thing, but i rather have the operator being older, both body wise and mentally. If not physicly, atleast make them act more mature, or more like Onkho who speaks in third person and robot-like.

But who knows, maybe DE has something stored for us in this regard.

For now, the Operator Dialog in the options menu, is permamently off.

as others have said, the idea of having an emotionally vulnerable child controlling a magical killing machine is kinda what makes Warframe tick. if Operators matured, then we'd just be emotionally scarred adults operating magical killing machines, kinda like MGS's traumatized soldiers, Laughing Octopus, preying Mantis and the rest of the crew.

Spoiler

seriously though, Ballas basically pulled an MGS when he was like "oh, these kids from Zariman lost everything and are mentally scarred.. let's force them to become void-powered space ninjas! what could possibly go wrong.."

never give severely unstable PTSD sufferers access to highly advanced weaponry, it never ends well..

Edited by (PS4)robotwars7

5 hours ago, Gaminus said:

The Tenno's exact words were "Don't make excuses for me."
But otherwise, I'd hazard to say being awake for a long time and having a surrogate mother as well as siblings probably helps a lot with the trauma, as does the forced amnesia.  It was probably all still registering by the time of TWW's ending.  Otherwise, a lot of soldier training and maybe some meditation type stuff probably helps with the processing.

The problem I have with this is that the Tenno, even in Warframe forms, didn't spend 100% of their time fighting.  They had enough "off-time" to create:
1. A whole language system

2. Several distinct schools of martial discipline

3. Their own weapon (Melee and Ballistic) forging techniques.

4. Master several dozen different archetypes of melee weapons and firearms

5. Learn advanced physics (Limbo)

6. Their own architecture

7. Other forms of artisanry

The answer to this is ‘bad, inconsistent writing from DE,’ sadly.

There are the ancient Tenno, who were actual space ninjas with a warrior culture, who designed weapons and laid out delicate water gardens and executed a grand betrayal of the Orokin, and then there are the actual Tenno we see in game, who are trapped in childish stasis.