Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Removing Kill Leaderboard and Leaderboard Notifications

aidan890

Tenno,

It is a busy week here at Digital Extremes as we prepare to release “Beasts of the Sanctuary;” and as one wildly unstable data-portal opens, another draws to a close, for now. Many Tenno will have noticed a bout of intermittent server instability in the past few weeks. While defending ourselves from what we continue to suspect are DDoS attacks, we have found ways to optimize our infrastructure. The resource burden of updating Warframe’s weekly “Kill Leaderboards” and notifying players hundreds of times per second is something we're removing for the foreseeable future. 

The Kill Leaderboards will be retired with the Beasts of the Sanctuary update and we will begin testing solutions (based on your feedback to this thread) on how to best implement the notification system for our other leaderboards.

To give some brief insight into the decision to remove Kill Leaderboards, we simply feel that this is no longer the best way to judge a player’s skill or level of accomplishment in Warframe. Warframe is a cooperative game with a number of important roles that need to be filled to find success in high level play.

We will continue to hone the process of leaderboards and leaderboard notifications, as many of you have probably already seen from Pablo’s Twitter from an update in March. This feature will also be removed until further notice as we continue to test new methods of optimization for delivering notifications to our top-ranking players.

Put simply, we are wary of increasing server stress on updating the Weekly Kill leaderboards. However, if you feel our decision has not accounted for the reason you enjoy the Kill Leaderboards, please feel free to let us know below!

RIP Leaderboards. Hopefully there is a solution for competitive gameplay that doesn't become "temporary" like the removal of Trials. Most people think that those leaderboards are pretty useless, but some people worked very hard for those leaderboards, and it is sad that minority is getting cut from the boards. I hope Void Onslaught promotes this sort of gameplay and rewards players for it, otherwise it will be another Incident Archive 2318-H where it is played for 1-2 weeks and abandoned.

il y a 2 minutes, --Q--Phanini a dit :

Another competitive side of warframe cut from the game. First raids now a portion of the leaderboards.... What's next? 

"Competitive"... Haha

How come this is the only one removed by the way ?

I guess it's because it's constantly changing but I can't know.

Thank you for doing what needed to make the game stable, it was a bit unstable the last few weeks, now onto feedback.

I got few ideas :

1) Make the Leaderboards an opt-in opt-out thing so anyone who cares about it may opt-in and thus only they may get tracked and receive the notifications, basically like a Bounty.

2) Make the tracking something like the research in Dojo, you activate it and until it "finished" the game will track those are involved with it.

3) The game will only track certain missions, if we do those it will only track the progress of it, limit by enemy unit thus few tiles and few missions.

4) Do we really need Leaderboards in a PVE game? kinda wasting server to me IMO :/  

5) Create a separate website link to the game through API and use it to calculating, you know, the game uploads the data and the website handles the rest instead of the letting the game do everything?  

1 minute ago, Prinny13 said:

Do we really need Leaderboards in a PVE game? kinda wasting server to me IMO :/ 

People like doing clan events around them since there is no proper endgame or ways to test yourself. 

As a matter of fact, me along with alot of other people were hoping to see a leaderboard for onslaught regarding clan scoring, like in an operation

6 minutes ago, --Q--Phanini said:

Another competitive side of warframe cut from the game. First raids now a portion of the leaderboards.... What's next? 

Pretty sure 99.99% of players don't even know the leaders boards exist, much less want to compete for rankings on it. What's a competitive system without any competitors? 

To those saying the kills leaderboard wasnt competitive; you're absolutely right. Theres no competition when its literally a single person with absolutely no life using a Saryn spamming a non endless mission that has infinite enemy spawns with non scaling enemy levels spawncamping.

il y a 3 minutes, ---RV---Maniac a dit :

As a matter of fact, me along with alot of other people were hoping to see a leaderboard for onslaught regarding clan scoring, like in an operation

I think they said there is a leaderboard coming for this.

il y a 2 minutes, Vali a dit :

Pretty sure 99.99% of players don't even know the leaders boards exist, much less want to compete for rankings on it.

That is true (maybe not 99.99% but yeah)

Many players I know didn't even know there were leaderboards and I had to explain to them how to find it.

(mostly because of clan events)

il y a 2 minutes, Giantconch a dit :

To those saying the kills leaderboard wasnt competitive; you're absolutely right. Theres no competition when its literally a single person with absolutely no life using a Saryn spamming a non endless mission that has infinite enemy spawns with non scaling enemy levels spawncamping.

Some say leaderboards incentive the usage of bot and maccros.

I'm just glad there is no reward for being in the leaderboard.

2 minutes ago, Vali said:

Pretty sure 99.99% of players don't even know the leaders boards exist, much less want to compete for rankings on it. What's a competitive system without any competitors? 

Winning

But really, I do hope those that choose to have avenues to compete; However, in many ways these competitions don't involve skill so much as availability/willingness.

Don'r much rightfully care for leaderboards or high scores or such like that, but for a minority of players, not having a way of showing they have done better than others might hurt their enjoyment of the game. To be fair, for me, high scores stayed back with the Atari and Arcades but that doesn't mean such things don't give incentive for others. Perhaps something akin to cosmetic kill counters ala Team Fortress or Dota 2 might still be something for those players affected?

If the leaderboards are making the things troublesome then I would suggest to remove all the stats from the screen and make separate sub sections for all of the datas what players have. There is a lot of data and a lot of are useless or not really interesting and with the codex there is no need anymore the how many items scanned. Also there are the events what we participated those could go into a different sub layer too. Also the old leaderboard could go too because that was just a conserved status on how the closed beta testers reached kills. This can be in a hall of fame section and the weekly leaderboard is not really significant and would like a monthly progess save which added to the overall stats.

3 minutes ago, ---RV---Maniac said:

People like doing clan events around them since there is no proper endgame or ways to test yourself. 

Well, in this game the only "test yourself" is to see how long you can stay awake after you turn the AI off or render it useless so I kinda don't feel sorry for those who cared about Leaderboards :/

As for the second part, Onslaught will get something since there will be 2 modes, casual and hardcore (still working on the name I guess).

à l’instant, ---RV---Maniac a dit :

There will be leaderboards like survival or defense aparently. Not on the clan vs clan competitive level which Im a bit disapointed on, not even an operation it seems

Oh you're one of "these".

Sorry for bothering you.

Archived