[DE]Rebecca

Melee: Present and Future goals!

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Slimspadey101 said:

Some stances in the game right now only have 2 combos! LOL

SOME have less combos than others, true.

I think the issue was that stances provide a ton of variety (Technically everything in Melee 3.0 that we've heard about could just be put in a subset of stances when you think about it) and those of us who melee a lot consider the different stances more crucial than our choice in weapon. 

I've been all for some of the proposed changes (removal of pause and hold timing combos for example), but not turning all the stances into generic clones of each other.  They're what add the spice to melee in this game and the idea of making them generic across weapon types sounds like it defeats one of the best things about Warframe melee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FreeWilliam said:

SOME have less combos than others, true.

I think the issue was that stances provide a ton of variety (Technically everything in Melee 3.0 that we've heard about could just be put in a subset of stances when you think about it) and those of us who melee a lot consider the different stances more crucial than our choice in weapon. 

I've been all for some of the proposed changes (removal of pause and hold timing combos for example), but not turning all the stances into generic clones of each other.  They're what add the spice to melee in this game and the idea of making them generic across weapon types sounds like it defeats one of the best things about Warframe melee.

now this one is right, a pause in combo kinda meh in a fast pace game like warframe so i hope DE can consider other button combo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Slimspadey101 said:

Some stances in the game right now only have 2 combos! LOL

And how often are those weapons and stances used?  The only exceptions are probaby Lesion and Tonbo for their damage potential.  But I have dropped using both because it is boring.

There are a number of weapon varients that I abandoned because of stances.  I hated Single Sword stances until Swooping Falcon.  I trashed all my Machetes after ranking them until Cyclone Kraken came out.  Nearly did the same with my Silva and Aegis because I hated Eleventh Storm, but absolutely fell in love with it after I got Final Harbinger.

Stances can make or break weapon playstyles.  Cut out what people love about a system, and you effectively cut those players out.

  • Like 2
  • Applause 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DE isn't cutting stances. A user already explained this but the only confirmed change we have is that pause won't be a combo qualifier and that there will be, at least, a standing combo a forward movement combo and a gap closer from block, right? All of these were shown in a Devstream with multiple weapons and stances within same weapon types (heavy blade and dagger iirc).

6 hours ago, FreeWilliam said:

I think the issue was that stances provide a ton of variety (Technically everything in Melee 3.0 that we've heard about could just be put in a subset of stances when you think about it) and those of us who melee a lot consider the different stances more crucial than our choice in weapon. 

I've been all for some of the proposed changes (removal of pause and hold timing combos for example), but not turning all the stances into generic clones of each other.  They're what add the spice to melee in this game and the idea of making them generic across weapon types sounds like it defeats one of the best things about Warframe melee.

Stances looked to have retained their identity. By "generic clones.." I assume you are referring to the unified button action required to perform combos. To me this just means fluidity and I welcome that. Are you saying that the best thing about Warframe melee is that combos have a variety of button sequences?

It just seems like SOME people are raging against strawmen and I find that ridiculous and funny. I mean if you intentionally use every combo in a given stance, and like the needlessly complicated qualifiers then I guess you have something to complain about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Slimspadey101 said:

DE isn't cutting stances. A user already explained this but the only confirmed change we have is that pause won't be a combo qualifier and that there will be, at least, a standing combo a forward movement combo and a gap closer from block, right? All of these were shown in a Devstream with multiple weapons and stances within same weapon types (heavy blade and dagger iirc).

Stances looked to have retained their identity. By "generic clones.." I assume you are referring to the unified button action required to perform combos. To me this just means fluidity and I welcome that. Are you saying that the best thing about Warframe melee is that combos have a variety of button sequences?

It just seems like SOME people are raging against strawmen and I find that ridiculous and funny. I mean if you intentionally use every combo in a given stance, and like the needlessly complicated qualifiers then I guess you have something to complain about.

A gap closer attack, not combo. So two combos. Which is what has been demonstrated so far in the Primetimes and Devstreams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Urlan said:

A gap closer attack, not combo. So two combos. Which is what has been demonstrated so far in the Primetimes and Devstreams.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Although they didn't say this on the devstream (and, yeah, probably should have) they use some animations that didn't show up when they demo'd either combo string immediately after the gap closer.

So it seems that this is in fact it's own combo string. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Although they didn't say this on the devstream (and, yeah, probably should have) they use some animations that didn't show up when they demo'd either combo string immediately after the gap closer.

So it seems that this is in fact it's own combo string. 

Yes, you feel that and I don't as its not what it looks like or what was said by DE. What was said, was standing still combo, forward combo, gap clearing attack. Rewatching the Vauban stream showed that pretty clearly with our last exchange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Urlan said:

Yes, you feel that and I don't as its not what it looks like or what was said by DE. What was said, was standing still combo, forward combo, gap clearing attack. Rewatching the Vauban stream showed that pretty clearly with our last exchange.

If I may then, how else would these moves that don't show up in the still and forward combos be activated? These moves only showed up after the gap closer and didn't appear in either string. They're getting rid of pause combos and they showed off that heavy attacks use the old charge attack animations. So I can't really see how else these moves would be activated. The best showcase of that was the claws section - Rebb showcases the 'gap closer' on claws which has those, and then a few times there's this animation of these wide, diagonal strikes. When she then shows off the standing and movement combos, those diagonal strikes aren't in either of them.

On further watches, I've been kind of disappointed at that stream for being so unclear about which moves appeared in which combo string. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Slimspadey101 said:

It just seems like SOME people are raging against strawmen and I find that ridiculous and funny. I mean if you intentionally use every combo in a given stance, and like the needlessly complicated qualifiers then I guess you have something to complain about.

There wouldn't be so many strawmen if DE just updated this bloody thread already. All we can do is speculate until we learn more about the system, which appearently will be on release.

Anyways, the complaint is that they're equaling out the stances on the lowest denominator, with only 2 combos and a standalone move, while currently some stances have up to 5 combos. Even if this does add fluidity, it'd make dedicated melee incredibly repetitive as you'd be spamming the same few moves over and over. Rather than cutting down on combos, they should make currently existing combos more accessible, and expand on the simpler stances who only have one or two combos.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Luka-Song said:

There wouldn't be so many strawmen if DE just updated this bloody thread already. All we can do is speculate until we learn more about the system, which appearently will be on release.

Anyways, the complaint is that they're equaling out the stances on the lowest denominator, with only 2 combos and a standalone move, while currently some stances have up to 5 combos. Even if this does add fluidity, it'd make dedicated melee incredibly repetitive as you'd be spamming the same few moves over and over. Rather than cutting down on combos, they should make currently existing combos more accessible, and expand on the simpler stances who only have one or two combos.

🙂 Thanks I can understand this. My only issue with this argument is that elaborate and/or widely varying combos inevitably create a disparity in effectiveness between them; which in turn leads to 1 or more of those combos being essentially pointless to pursue. If you have 5 combos what are the chances that you will find a good reason to use all of them when 2 or 3 of them are much more effective because of their effects or their accessibility or a combination of both. It just seems to me like it would require unnecessary effort on DE's part for little return overall. Also it just doesn't fit the games archetype in my opinion.

Sure, some people will have fun with this kind of complexity but at what cost to the (likely) vast majority who couldn't care less. We are talking about development time that could be spend streamlining a system that's satisfying for everyone most of the time. Like maybe people who play a lot and exclusively use melee will get bored of it faster, but lets face it, those people are probably super niche. These are the people who use comparison between Warframe and the new Spiderman or Batman game. Just go play those games once you get bored of Warframe my dudes. I mean whats the harm in something like that really? Warframe isn't going to fill literally every aspect of our gaming desires. Variety is the spice of life as they say. Plus, lets be real Steve is all about those space memes. The saved dev time could be spent making Archwing melee interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Slimspadey101 said:

🙂 Thanks I can understand this. My only issue with this argument is that elaborate and/or widely varying combos inevitably create a disparity in effectiveness between them; which in turn leads to 1 or more of those combos being essentially pointless to pursue. If you have 5 combos what are the chances that you will find a good reason to use all of them when 2 or 3 of them are much more effective because of their effects or their accessibility or a combination of both. It just seems to me like it would require unnecessary effort on DE's part for little return overall. Also it just doesn't fit the games archetype in my opinion.

Sure, some people will have fun with this kind of complexity but at what cost to the (likely) vast majority who couldn't care less. We are talking about development time that could be spend streamlining a system that's satisfying for everyone most of the time. Like maybe people who play a lot and exclusively use melee will get bored of it faster, but lets face it, those people are probably super niche. These are the people who use comparison between Warframe and the new Spiderman or Batman game. Just go play those games once you get bored of Warframe my dudes. I mean whats the harm in something like that really? Warframe isn't going to fill literally every aspect of our gaming desires. Variety is the spice of life as they say. Plus, lets be real Steve is all about those space memes. The saved dev time could be spent making Archwing melee interesting.

That's the thing though, they want melee 3.0 to make melee focus not niche, and a viable and fun option. Warframe has always been about filling multiple niches, being a mix of shooter, rpg, hack and slash, stealth play, space dogfighting and more.

Regarding combo effectiveness that's easily fixed by giving different combos different uses. One combo could be a gap closer, another could have a guaranteed slash proc, another could deal double damage, another could end in a slam attack/knockback for CC. That's already the case for some stances. The big problem is the input commands are incredibly inconvenient, particularly when paired with attack speed bonuses and unbalanced mods like maiming strike.

Honestly, people who don't care about melee most likely don't care about the melee rework either, so catering the rework for them is a mistake imo, this update should aim towards people curious or interested in melee.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Luka-Song said:

That's the thing though, they want melee 3.0 to make melee focus not niche, and a viable and fun option. Warframe has always been about filling multiple niches, being a mix of shooter, rpg, hack and slash, stealth play, space dogfighting and more.

Regarding combo effectiveness that's easily fixed by giving different combos different uses. One combo could be a gap closer, another could have a guaranteed slash proc, another could deal double damage, another could end in a slam attack/knockback for CC. That's already the case for some stances. The big problem is the input commands are incredibly inconvenient, particularly when paired with attack speed bonuses and unbalanced mods like maiming strike.

Honestly, people who don't care about melee most likely don't care about the melee rework either, so catering the rework for them is a mistake imo, this update should aim towards people curious or interested in melee.

Okay I have to concede the part about Warframe in general not filling multiple niches you are definitely right and I think I was too general with my statement. On the topic of stances though I still can't get on board with them having a bunch of different combos. To me it seems more reasonable to attribute those effects, status/damage/slam etc, to the different stances rather than cramming them all into every stance. Isn't that part of what gives the current stances weight? I'm honestly not sure about that. Maybe have one stance provide a slam and a damage effect while the other features a slam and a status effect combo etc. Just take the more desired effect, like damage, make that universal and go from there. I recognize style is big part of why people choose stances as well so I guess there could end up being cases where someone likes the style but not the effects, but idk I haven't thought this out to its end really.

Edited by Slimspadey101

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slimspadey101 said:

Like maybe people who play a lot and exclusively use melee will get bored of it faster, but lets face it, those people are probably super niche. These are the people who use comparison between Warframe and the new Spiderman or Batman game. Just go play those games once you get bored of Warframe my dudes. I mean whats the harm in something like that really?

I imagine this is a plug at one of my comments.

I do play Batman and Spiderman.  And I love those games.  But I also love Warframe.  I wouldn't be here after 4 years if I did not.  And I am a melee user.  Heavily.  So yes, I am going to speak up when a system I love about the game threatens a game I have enjoyed spending my time on.

1 hour ago, Luka-Song said:

Honestly, people who don't care about melee most likely don't care about the melee rework either, so catering the rework for them is a mistake imo, this update should aim towards people curious or interested in melee.

This.  This is what is going to break the system.  Changing a system to accommodate people who do not use it is not the way to go, if you refuse to listen to the people who do use it.  If the Melee 3.0 is not effective for endurance or destroys the fun factor the existing Melee population, you lose your players.  Likewise you may encourage non Melee players to try it, but if they love their guns and powers more, they are not going to stick with Melee either.  An entire destruction of a system in an attempt to rework it.

What happened when they tried the UI changes to Console?  The reaction was immediate.  They had to send out hotfixes the same day because they removed functions designed to controller support in favor of a "mouse" style.  Yes, we still have he new UI, but they had to revert a number of that functionality back for controller support, because the community had been calling out what wasn't working.

The Melee commumity is trying to do that now.

Edited by (PS4)azul86sapphire
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, (PS4)azul86sapphire said:

I imagine this is a plug at one of my comments.

Probably. I'm sorry about that I just wanted to trigger the right people in order to get some more input. Now I wait for more updates from DE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Slimspadey101 said:

Okay I have to concede the part about Warframe in general not filling multiple niches you are definitely right and I think I was too general with my statement. On the topic of stances though I still can't get on board with them having a bunch of different combos. To me it seems more reasonable to attribute those effects, status/damage/slam etc, to the different stances rather than cramming them all into every stance. Isn't that part of what gives the current stances weight? I'm honestly not sure about that. Maybe have one stance provide a slam and a damage effect while the other features a slam and a status effect combo etc. Just take the more desired effect, like damage, make that universal and go from there. I recognize style is big part of why people choose stances as well so I guess there could end up being cases where someone likes the style but not the effects, but idk I haven't thought this out to its end really.

You do have a point. Though I've been toying with an idea today that could address that. As it stands melee 3.0 has two long-string combos depending on movement: forward or standing still.

It'd be neat to take it a step further and instead of making predetermined long combos, they'd make short combos or even standalone moves that change depending on directional input (left right forward backwards or standing still). Players would weave these moves/short combos together for different effects, thus making their own custom combos, and stances remain for stylistic effects or to define the general gameplay of the weapon (for example, nikana blind justice has strong and fast short range moves, while decisive judgement has long range strong one hitters and tranquil cleave has long range fast multi hitters).

Easy to learn and reproduce, and provides a lot more player-side interaction, while still being viable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Melee Stance Combos as they are I liked (for the most part). Here is why,

When encountering a challenging combo (many of the pause combos for heavy blades and scythes in particular), I actually had to break away from the mindless spam attack mentality and try to master something new. It made it fun and made combat enjoyable. Part of learning a weapon is to learn its various combos and it was always fun when a new stance was released, to learn its combos and its utility. Shooting and jumping around is quite mindless to be honest... Its nice to have some finesse and somewhat of a check in skill. The only combos that I feel were unnecessary were those requiring a backwards input. If I am fighting with melee, why would I want to move away from the enemy knowing that range is already an issue with the hitbox of flying and crouched enemies... 

Now I read someone make a comment saying well go play "spiderman" or "batman" if you are bored and want some complexity or whatever... But cant someone else say if you want to play mindless shooting fodder go play "COD"?

Warframe is Warframe because it allowed people from various gaming backgrounds to adapt to a system that tries to strike a balance between both. I feel however, that balance cant be achieve simply by looking at complexity... For example, why does no one use dual daggers (it's a problem), why does no one use one particular stance over another? The answer is simple, they ones people don't use are boring, low damage, or have no utility. The same is true for certain issues which DE has attempted to address but I feel have done so the wrong way...

"Spin to win is NOT fun", but here is a new frame who has a fourth ability which is literally that which we deemed as not being fun...

Maiming strike reinforces this behavior "oh lets nerf it". If you take away something relied upon something else will take its place.

Instead DE should focus on making other things just as viable.. Ask the question of "WHY" are players doing this and "HOW" to fix it. I'm sick of all of this nerfing just because of "some" players. There will always be those who will find some exploit. But don't punish the general public because of it... (also spin to win initially was for damage due to crappy weapon IPS, hint hint....) 

Sorry for the rant, but surely I can't be the only one seeing this over the years....

Edited by (PS4)RenxHoshigaki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 часов назад, (PS4)RenxHoshigaki сказал:

I actually had to break away from the mindless spam attack mentality and try to master something new. It made it fun and made combat enjoyable

Agree. I love to master combos too.   Combos we currently have are just too long and most of them have wonky "pause windows" that are very hard to catch. Even skilled players might have trouble triggering certain combos because they are not polished properly.  

We now have a way to cancel combo.  So its safe to make combo windows (pauses between attacks) longer.  Each attack must be properly separated.

Melee should be clear and responsive, with each attack being performed intentionally by the Player.  Not some random left stick twirling and mashing of Attack button.

23 часа назад, Luka-Song сказал:

It'd be neat to take it a step further and instead of making predetermined long combos, they'd make short combos or even standalone moves that change depending on directional input (left right forward backwards or standing still)

 That, but without sideways movement involved.   I experienced this in Warfame (some combos have sideways trigger) and Elder scrolls.  Its horrible.  NONE of decent slashers i played used sideways movement for combos. DMC series (i skipped 1 and 2), Bayonetta, Darksiders, Killer is Dead, PoP, MGR, GoW series.... None of these used sideways movement for combos...

 Movement in Warframe is even more important than in those slashers...because enemies have guns. If we use Movement buttons for Melee combos.... Movement will impair Melee, and Melee will impair movement.   And if you strafin left, you will have to stop and change direction for a different combo.  Thats not how good melee looks like.

 

 I agree about "standalone moves".   

We already have some (slam, slide and such). But Wall attack need serious work while  Air kick need a bit more base damage and should be affected by Bullet jump damage mods.

Would be nice to have Gunfire and Slashing combos separated for gunblades. Coz gunfire flings enemies away...it situational.  I would just...have gunfire on a separate button and it should function like normal guns. Without any fancy moves and such. You just aim and shoot.  

Like "alt fire" on rifles.  You decide when to use that "secondary fire". Not "predetermined combo animation". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kainosh said:

Would be nice to have Gunfire and Slashing combos separated for gunblades. Coz gunfire flings enemies away...it situational.  I would just...have gunfire on a separate button and it should function like normal guns. Without any fancy moves and such. You just aim and shoot.

I might be wrong, but isn't the "gunfire flings enemies" a redeemer only thing? I don't think the sarpa flings enemies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 часов назад, Luka-Song сказал:

sarpa flings enemies

Every gunblade creates "muzzle-blast" when fired.  That blast will ragdoll nearby enemies.    I use only Sarpa, and it flings enemies away from melee range too much. 

Using it to actually cut anything is pain, because shots occur during combos...and enemies either fly away, or fall down and interrupt your combo with Finisher promp.

 

If only we had 2 buttons for melee. Could use one for cuts, and another for shooting.   I would even sacrifice ability to block for that.  I barely even need it when i play with gunblade...coz you can just shoot em...or roll.  Stances can also be altered with that in mind.  So that Gap closer is not on "Block + melee" but on "W + melee".  No big deal. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kainosh said:

Every gunblade creates "muzzle-blast" when fired.  That blast will ragdoll nearby enemies.    I use only Sarpa, If only we had 2 buttons for melee. Could use one for cuts, and another for shooting.   I would even sacrifice ability to block for that.  I barely even need it when i play with gunblade...coz you can just shoot em...or roll.  Stances can also be altered with that in mind.  So that Gap closer is not on "Block + melee" but on "W + melee".  No big deal.

It'd be neat if the shooting mechanic took the place of gapclosing (why would you gapclose with a gun anyway, right?). Taking block away from a weapon would be huge, considering in melee 3.0 blocking builds up combo counter, removing the gapclose though would give a fun advantage/disadvantage game, without sacrifcing buttons.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Luka-Song said:

Taking block away from a weapon would be huge, considering in melee 3.0 blocking builds up combo counter,

DE making it so blocking building up the combo counter is something that makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.  When you are in a survival, and kills matter to maintain life support, who is going to stand around blocking to re-build up the combo counter (i.e. after a heavy attack)? That is time lost.  Ineffective, slow, and a complete waste of time.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Luka-Song said:

Taking block away from a weapon would be huge, considering in melee 3.0 blocking builds up combo counter

Shooting is an attack and also generates combo counter.  And if they make so that every pellet were counted as a hit, combo counter would increase at approximately same speed as if you were blocking.  

So no...its not huge. Just different.  Would add to "logic" also.  We do not block with our guns, yeah? And gunblades are mostly guns...with a blade attached.  Makes sense to me.

Its just my preference tho....I dont see a Gunblade as a defensive weapon. Blocking with it is a waste of time. Better to shoot things and ramp up that combo counter than to block and wait for them to shoot you.  Same goes for Glaives.  Most of the time they fly somwhere...so i do not block with them at all. Its a throw and dodge weapon.

 

....Now that i think about it....What if They gonna use Combo counter as "ammo" for shooting?  They did mention that "charged attack" will use Counter....And shooting is a charged attack outside of combos...   Thinking about it is so pointless.....I will just wait silently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dear DE, please dont make the mistake of limiting +range only to heavy attacks...that forces people to opt for heavy attacks if they ever want to have better range on melee which narrows build choice/diversity and also makes melee as a whole worse. there are people who do not want to go for heavy optimized builds surely just as there are people who do not play spin2win or combo counter builds. limiting range to heavy only also doesnt solve the spin2win "issue", neither the general range on some melee weapons. ur just forcing players into one direction indirectly which is totally the wrong way. if anything there should be a general +range mod, reach/primed reach which we currently have and another one specifically for heavy attacks only, which would mean we could opt for heavy attacks +range wise and still have +range on normal attacks too.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

will be great if DEV share some short videos abouth some diferents weapons in diferents stances and their  kind of atacks, charged, combo, speed  etc so ppl can make a better idea how will work and disccus abouth any solid content ( atm it´s only theory talk )

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess I'll drop in my 5 cents as well to the sea of opinions.

In the last dev-stream, Rebecca demoed the melee 3.0 and how you could quickly change to melee in the air for example. Does this mean that when we change to full melee in 3.0, we will no longer get the cool equip animation? I at least would prefer the style factor of actually seeing my warframe equip the melee, than take the 2 seconds or so saved time for effectiveness factor. We're already efficient at killing the enemies with all sorts of different ways...doubt you need to shoot, melee, shoot etc. It kind of looked silly. Unless of course it was the quick melee only...I just hope that the equip animation will still be there. 😃

Oh...and please...get rid of the completely stupid reach of whip weapons (among others) with primed reach mod. If a melee weapon kills everything in a room within 30+ meters, it's no longer a melee and it's even worse than coptering was. Thanks.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now