Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ask Me [Almost] Anything

[DE]Glen

4 hours ago, TonnoTuna said:

Is Gara Shattered Lash's sweep arc affected by ability range mods? If yes, how? Does it also take melee range mods into account? Where precisely the Ability starts?

This has been answered on the wiki

What is the current formula to Exodia Contagion's projectile damage? Currently it seems to jump all over the place and using it with Covert Lethality makes it deal less damage, which is kinda why I was wondering about it.

On a past Devstream statistics about missions done were shown. Are you perhaps able to provide us with updated data? Personally I'd be interested in data pre-raid-removal, but just recent data is good as well. Even better if it shows playtime vs. simple count of completed missions and maybe even draw correlations (i. e. certain mission types/missions are done more often by high MR players).

Just statistics in general would be very interesting.

Edited by uxx0

What, in the good lord's name, is the Eidolon DR formula (apart from armor of course)?

And on the same note, does the Hemocyte/Lephantis have a damage-per-shot soft cap? How does it work with critical hits?

And also on the note of damage calculations, does the effective damage resistance of an enemy with armor use a combination of both health and armor resistances? And if so is the proportion of DR based on the armor to health ratio?

Spoiler

To save words, is this formula (from the wiki) correct? 180?cb=20151018085855

And finally... how is damage rounded off? Are the values cut or rounded? Do values always round up? Are the rounded values the actual damage values (can you kill an enemy with 100 health if you deal 99.9 damage)? Are they rounded (or cut) between calculations or only once the full calculation is done? I ask because when I have tried to predict damage numbers sometimes the rounding is... weird.

I know this stuff is extra boring for a lot of people, but my damage calculator would love to know.

Edit: Oh, one more mystery yet to be solved by us mere Tenno, how is the accuracy value calculated?

Edited by DrBorris

• I've noticed some incoherency between the definition of "allies" in warframe abilities descriptions. By incoherency I mean that while the word allies is often used, it doesnt always differenciate between different allies type. For instance Gara's Splinter Storm will apply to everything, from warframes to  objectives while Chroma's Elemental Ward will only works on warframe. I've been collecting data on what abilities affect what, divided into 4 categories. Warframe, companions, NPC (Rescue target) and objectives. However some abilities are difficult to tell what they affect.

Here is my current spreadsheet of abilities that says they apply to "allies". Can you help me filling up the blank ?
    Spoiler

unknown.png

• Another question I had was about hotfixes. Feel free to ignore if you cannot answer because it needs to be kept secret. Most video-games usually take one to six hours to do their updates or maintenance. However any warframe update is made under a few minutes with the players still being able to play while the hotfix or maintenance is in progress. How does it work, and what is going on under the hood during a hotfix ?

• You often mention being stressed due to warframe. What was the most stressfull experience you had while working on warframe ?

Edited by vaur06

Can we compare the aimbotting projectiles and rank them according to curving strength? By aimbotting I describe projectiles, that seek enemies without having a valid target under the reticule.
The projectiles I've found are:

• Ashs Shuriken
  • Nyxs Psychic Bolts
  • Oberons Smite (secondary projectiles)
  • Bombards Ogris
  • Eidolons Seeking Bullets

The following are the answers found during the stream.

• Spore LoS: there is no line of sight for the spread.
  • New units are developped against developpers warframe.
  • Exclusive Syandana: no idea on the answer.
  • Q: Does titania's lantern augment works on zenistar disk ?
    The answer is no, it doesnt count because the lantern augment buff the melee type, but the zenistar disk is radial damage type
  • Why are the focus on amps are half as effective than on warframe ?
    It is giving a share to a "melee weapon" that isn't real [That you use to do operator melee attacks].

const float SUIT_AMOUNT = numWeapons > 0 ? 0.25f : 1.f; // 25% to suit, 75% spread across weapons

const uint32 suitXP = static_cast<uint32>(Round(static_cast<float>(baseXpAward) * SUIT_AMOUNT));
        const float weaponXP = static_cast<float>(baseXpAward) * (1.f - SUIT_AMOUNT);

const uint32 splitXP = static_cast<uint32>(Round(static_cast<float>(weaponXP) / numWeapons));
            GiveObjectCentricXP(splitXP, mItems[sPistolSlot]);
            GiveObjectCentricXP(splitXP, mItems[sRifleSlot]);
            GiveObjectCentricXP(splitXP, mItems[sMeleeSlot]);
  • Q: What is the order of operations for a gun regarding status: Is damage applied before or after status effects?
    It looks like it does the damage first than apply status after. In case of multishoot, it will apply the first pallet damage than status effect, the other pellets will benefit from the status effect of the first pallet.
  • Q: How do Magnetic procs handle expiration?
    There is a special magnetic proc for the water [on the plains ?]
    It looks like there is no energy refund.
    Each proc try to remember what the shield was before.
    It is ignoring overshield.
    If the proc wears off it refund the damage dealt during the proc. It's restoring the amount of shield it had before the proc.
  • Q: what is your favorite warframe and what do you think are their best abilities and attributes?
    Banshee because of feet. Between molecular prime and chaos
  • Why don't you participate in the off topic game threads?
    Too busy. [he went really fast on those questions]
  • Q: How is stand united calculated? is it done in the same way physique is calculated? if not can you shed a bit more light on the mod as the wiki is pretty empty on it.
    Temporary armor gained during the mission (scarab armor, oberon) is reflected on the pet that have link-armor.
    Stand United stacks additively with steel fiber. Just like every armor multiplier mods.
    Kavats are not benefiting from stand united aura. They will benefit from the armor boosted by united stand.
    Stand United only applies to players.
    Stand United applies to operator.
    Oberon passive is a free link armor of +25%. It works additively with [link-armor]. Iron Renewal works on oberon and pets.
  • Q: What did you like or dislike about Trials when they were still in Warframe? In the future, what would you change about them? What would you keep?
    Keep nothing. Warframe diversity from the randomness is great. 2 map exactly the same, that need to pay attention to the same recipe but it tends to be a chore, running the same thing.
    I hate the fact it's too samey. Hurdling cats is not funny. Trolling issues with people stepping out of pads.
  • Codex scanner is purposely acceptive. The last thing people things when integrating new things is to add codex entry. Better to ere on the side of caution. It's permissive by default to accept things that will never get added. I dont think it's going to change. Giving a list is not a good idea
  • Q: When riven has 2 element damage , how are the 2 damage combine with other element? Can we reverse the combination of the riven damage type?
    Riven works like elemental mods from bottom up. Turn the riven clock wise that's how they combine. Reverse the combination is not my departement.
  • Q: Spawns in survivals have always interested me because of how weird they are. One mission I'll have a nice healthy population to mow through and the next I'll be gasping for LS drops!
    Popular myth that enemies radar affect spawn. It does not. It help you find the spawn. The level themselves may have navigation issues. I dont find myself hungry for spawn but some tilesets may be better than the others. Derelict and Ice planet (Europa) suffer from those
  • Q: Is the coding for the GPU Particles somewhat linked to the lighting and color in our ship as they are quite messed up now, eg white has become grey etc. Each color is somewhat a few tone darker thus making adjusting color to our gear fairly difficult.
    No. I'm confident it's totally unrelated. You can test it yourself. Turn it off.
  • Q: Does the profile usage work correctly for frames?
    We track how long you spend in mission and which gear. You get credits to use your sword even if it's quick melee. Between your pistol and primary gun it's how long they are equipped. Why is this answer complicated, there was bug that would count liset and relay time.
  • Q: Ragoll. Why some melee weapons have this feature? In low levels is fine, but in higher levels it makes it difficult to fight your enemy if it's going to be flying all over the place.
    Impact proc. Weapon that have large amount of impact damage will be more likely to create impact status.
  • Q: In all of Warframe's development since now, what was the hardest thing to create, besides PoE?
    People complain about power-creep, they always want more power-creep but that's not what they really want. They want different power-creep, not better. Things that are interesting, I'm big fan of Condition Overload (CO) because it force me to find combinaison with things that works well together. It's power-creep kind of, but it forced me to think about it to make it work better. Which is more interesting than primed streamline
  • Q: What was your favourite thing in Warframe to do? 
    I like endurance run, but not ? I like casual endurance where we dont coordinate together. But go with a bunch of old players and do things that are #*!%ing hard. It's a fun challenge, you are really competing with yourself. It's something I enjoy the most doing on stream.
  • Q: Is Gara Shattered Lash's sweep arc affected by ability range mods? If yes, how? Does it also take melee range mods into account? Where precisely the Ability starts?
    The linear distance is affected by range mods, if the animation cant be stretch too far it will still affect it, but the animation doesnt look like it does.
    Ability range doesnt affect the width of the arc. Melee mods doesnt affect it either.
    Spoiler

Warframe0002.jpg

• Q: Does squad size affect spawns in SO and ESO? I've been told that they don't, but it feels like a lot less enemies spawn when you are alone, which of course affects how well you can keep efficiency up (since there's less enemies to kill).
    Solo vs anything other than solo is slightly different for regular for a few round. For elite it's all the same not matter the numbers of players.

• Q: Where would the sentients be on the kardeshev scale for civilizations?
    I dont know.

• Q: What part of the game you have worked on are you most proud of?
    I dont know, I dont get a lot of ownership at this stage. It's mostly artists that gain credits. I dont write a lot of code. I'm mostly a janitor. I've been really pride of optimisation in the past but not as easy. I'm mostly proud of the whole team with how really fast it was made. I'm proud to be part of that. The whole endeavor is what I'm proud to be part of. The answer is warframe.

• Q: And finally... how is damage rounded off? Are the values cut or rounded?
    They are rounded properly at floor f. How is the accuracy calculated 100 divided by the spread. Because heavy calibur is f---ed. You'll have to experiment. 

• Q: Another question I had was about hotfixes. Feel free to ignore if you cannot answer because it needs to be kept secret. Most video-games usually take one to six hours to do their updates or maintenance. However any warframe update is made under a few minutes with the players still being able to play while the hotfix or maintenance is in progress. How does it work, and what is going on under the hood during a hotfix ?
    Most of the server side stuff (database, API, the code that runs relays, matchmaking [MM] ) we publish into a source control server separate. We compile a code and that makes stuff change quickly. There is all bunch of code, build to build there is almost that never change. To get from last build publish it only needs to push 25 files. We turn off a few things that the game needs that's why we say to people to stay in mission. We dont change mm server no files changed so it's smart about it. We do this thing where we take the hash of the files and make it part of the file name because the new version of the file is a different file we can deploying before we know there is a hotfix. We call this pre-eating, we put all files with new version to the end-point in the world. So when we do hotfix, most of the new files are already there. We do a lot of the work ahead of time. The other thing we do (because we are too proud) we dont expect the schema to be always up-to-date, we do a lot of translation lazyly. Account that are 2 years old people still have fusion core in their account. it is done when people connect. So pushing a build that changes things like that are done slowly over time and it doesnt all at once. It's a double edge sword. because sometimes things are done in the lazely. Sometimes it's done ahead of time.

Edited by vaur06

Mag Math. With the variables explained. (I mainly just want polarize... and shard damage) AND explain the energy drop rate on her 1? When does it proc?

What is the exaact math for Growing Power with Coaction Drift? (Especially in different team constellations with varying amounts of coaction drifts and Growing Powers)

Edited by Simmml
QUESTIONS!

Do you know why the mode switch commands (long press/short press) on khora's third ability (venari) are reversed compared to ivara's quiver and vaubans minelayer?

On khora, using default setup, you have long press to change mode and short press to activate the ability, on ivara and vauban it's short press to change and long press to activate.  It really doesn't help if you've switched them in the settings.

Edited by LSG501

Pasting Wraith2's notes with some tiny edits:

Q: Does Saryn spore have a line of sight requirement when spreading? 
A: No, there is no line of sight check in the code. Strictly radial spread with standard invulnerability checks. 

Q: are new units tested in in faction vs faction or simulacrum?
A: No, units are tested only against warframes

Q: When using Titania's Lantern ability does the Beguiling Lantern augment cause attracted enemies to take more damage from the zenistar disc? (is zenistar disk considered melee)
A: No, it doesn't count because the lantern ability buffs damage from melee damage types but the zenistar disc is a radial damage type

Q: Why are the focus lenses on amps half as effective as warframe ones?
A: The blast attack is modeled as a melee weapon. Of 100 shared xp the operator takes 25 of that and the remaining 75 is split evenly between the equipped items, in the case of operator mode this is 37.5 to each of the hidden melee weapon and the amp.

Q: What is the order of operations for a gun regarding status: Is damage applied before or after status effects? (are damage and procs for a single shot handled serially, {damage, proc, damage, proc} meaning pellet 2 has the benefit of the proc from pellet 1 when damage is calculated or are all pellets in a shot calculated in damage*n, proc*n)
A: damage is calculated independantly for each pellet and applied before procs for the same pellet and each pellet is applied serially, so: Pellet (Damage->Proc) -> Pellet (Damage->Proc) -> Pellet (Damage->Proc)

Q: How do Magnetic procs handle expiration? Is it in a similar fashion to Viral, in that it restores how much was taken away initially, or does it say 'whatever you have right now, multiply that by X', or is it something else?
A: Magnetic status effect reduces the max and current shields for the duration of the proc. So an enemy with max 400, current 300 hit by a proc will go to max 100 current 75. 25 damage is then done leaving 100 max and current 50. The proc wears off and max return to 400 and current to 275, so 200 current shield was taken and is refunded when the proc expires 

Q: Best warframe feet?
A: Banshee Prime

Q: How is the Stand United aura effect calculated? is it done in the same way physique is calculated? if not can you shed a bit more light on the mod as the wiki is pretty empty on it.
A: Temporary armor gained during the mission (scarab armor) is reflected on the pets that have link-armor.
Stand United stacks additively with steel fiber and other armour mods so it is equivalent

Q: Does Stand United aura stack twice with a pet armour mods?
A: Stand united applies to the player directly and the resultant armour value is used to calculate the pet armour passed through link armour. Armour directly applied to the pet is not affected by the aura.

Q: Does Stand United aura and does it stack twice with Oberon's Iron Renewal?
A: Oberons passive is a free 25% link armour mod which stacks addatively with any equipped link armour mod. And yes the cat does benefit twice from Iron Renewal directly as well as through link armour from the warframe.

Q: What did you dislike about the trials?
A: the sameness of everything. They lack the variety that the rest of the game have in terms of map generation and enemy encounter posistions.

Q: Is there a list of everything i can scan?
A: New items are scannable by default allow players to scan them even if the codex entry isn't present so people don't have to replay the quest if they have already scanned things to get the scans they want.

Q: What is the order of multiple elements on rivens are applied
A: they are applied bottom to top. imagine turning the riven 90% to the left and applying both status effects in the order they are encountered moving from top left to bottom right.

Q: Is there any truth to the superstition that enemy radar effects enemy spawn.
A: No

Q: Is the coding of GPU particles linked to the lighting in the ship
A: No

Q: how does profile usage work for frames
A: How long you spend with the weapon equipped (including quick attack for melee) is tracked in each mission. This is complicated by the fact that some historic data exists when being in the orbiter counted.

Q: Why do some melee weapons have ragdoll
A: Impact procs cause ragdoll effects. To avoid it use a slash (or other base or heavily weighted damage type)

Q: What is the hardest thing to create apart from POE?
A: not a designer, but as a guess new and interesting mechanics rather than power creeping existing ideas

Q: What is your favorite thing to do in warframe
A: Casual endurance runs with ad-hoc squads and loadouts to see how you can cope with what happens. Also, FashionFrame

Q: Is Gara Shattered Lash's sweep arc affected by ability range mods? If yes, how? Does it also take melee range mods into account? Where precisely the Ability starts?
A: Linear distance is affected by range mods. The animation is stretched to try and cover the required range but will not go too far if large amounts of range are applied (such as void buffs) even though the effect will still have the required range. (animation will ne short but all range will be applied). The arc is not effected by range mods.

Q: Does squad size effect enemy spawn in Elite Onslaught
A: Solo at standard differs slightly for the first two rounds and is the same after that. Elite does not change at all.

Q: What part of the game that you've worked on are you the most proud of
A: Mostly a code cleaner not a direct producer. Most proud of the entire team putting the game together as fast and capably as they did.

Q: Do Lephantis and the Heamocyte have a damage soft cap?
A: Yes

Q: how is damaage rounded off, is it truncated or rounded?
A: Rounded, floor(value+0.5)

Q: How is the accuracy value calculated
A: Roughly, 100/spread but it isn't uniform or consistent and changes per weapon, don't trust it just try the weapon

Q: What goes on under the hood during a hotfix.
A: Server side updates are checked into a deployment build source control server resulting in differential updates. This means that server updates are generally quite small and updates can be quick. Essentially atomic services are stopped (please stay in your missions) but other things are left active if they aren't sensitive. The hotfix is applied and then services brough back up. 
Scripts also use hashed filenames this means that all the files can be present at the same time, they call this preheating the update, everything is present before the update so the hotfix is just a service restart. The same technique is also used for client updates allowing a "mega heat" on the CDN to get updates sent out to them ready for clients before it is published.
Client schema updates (example fusion cores to endo) are done at login after the script is put live. This means the load is amortized over the user logins so the database doesn't get a huge hit taking it offline. This can be a double edged sword because old data can remain for a long time making some analysis complicated for them.