Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Weapons Can Go From Bad/Okay to AWESOME With a Good Riven?

So basically I’m wondering what weapons that are considered “lower tier” can really go up a few notches with a beastly riven.

example: My latest good roll is for my unused Nikondi (the nunchucks) with:

+ about 250% damage

+ about 150% Crit Damage

+ 110% Fire

-50% Damage to Corpus

So what do you think? Could this riven bump up the mightyness of my Nikondi?

Any other examples of okay weapons that can be MASSIVELY improved with a good riven?

all of them but with a good riven also kills any personality the weapon holds im my opinion i personally dont like rivens if they just bring imma kill everything to the table 

but if they bring something funny that makes you wonder how would that work then you have my interest i have a - damage zhuge riven that pretty much just heals what i shoot but applies harmful amounts of status like mad (due to multitshot) so i have a torture device rather funny to me since im exploding them bleeding them posioning (viral) them and setting them on fire but they cant die any actual projectile based weapon can be made more absurd with a good riven or bloody funny with a derpy one and did find the derpy ones better then the murder ones since they let you do something outside the box then point click gone 

3 minutes ago, (PS4)cleefsentence said:

The negative impact or puncture is good on every weapon, more chance to proc corrosive.

With the Sobek in particular it's glorious because of how Acid Shells works.  I'm usually less corrosive focused than most but that combo is a thing of beauty.

Also hilarious with a Nidus against the Hemocyte.  Just larva a huge ball of mobs in front of his face and BOOM. 🙂

36 minutes ago, Zeclem said:

i'd say that ninkondi riven is kinda garbage for its not a good crit weapon. 

as for the question, pretty much any weapon can be very good with a riven. 

That’s kinda bull-dooky tbh. Have you tried using it as a slide crit weapon?

Every time you do a slide attack with Atlantis Vulcan, you hit for 3 times. That’s what I did with my Riven boosted Ninkondi with Maiming Strike. It hits like a truck. Especially with either a focus to Corrosive or Gas.

I got a couple that have made some weak/sub par weapons ridiculous.

Azima: +90.8% Slash / +184.4 damage / +92.4 status duration 

Makes them bleed long and hard.

Buzlok: +90.8% firerate / +244.4 Damage

Fires so fast and hit roughly 1k+ per bullet, easy eidolon killer without struggling to lock on to joints. Just tag once and you shoot freely.

Gammacor: +1.4 punch through / +40.7 firerate / + 55.4 multi shot / +33 weapon recoil

I used the synoid personally and it doesn’t really have any kick back so the laser just wobbles and recoil isn’t noticed at all. Murders nullified shields and anything corpus.

My favorite though...

Seer: +234.8 Slash / +422.3 damage / -30.2 Damage to infested

Turns a low tier gun into a truck launcher. It doesn’t have enough firerate or ammo capacity to make it outclass other weapons but it’s fun to use and I am a big fan of how the seer looks. When seer prime comes, I might sell this for an early plat retirement.

15 minutes ago, (PS4)Lei-Lei_23 said:

That’s kinda bull-dooky tbh. Have you tried using it as a slide crit weapon?

Every time you do a slide attack with Atlantis Vulcan, you hit for 3 times. That’s what I did with my Riven boosted Ninkondi with Maiming Strike. It hits like a truck. Especially with either a focus to Corrosive or Gas.

the thing is, anything hits like a truck in this game. why would you use it as a slide weapon with its below poor range when you can just swing your sticks with a CO for a lot easier killtime?

52 minutes ago, Zeclem said:

the thing is, anything hits like a truck in this game. why would you use it as a slide weapon with its below poor range when you can just swing your sticks with a CO for a lot easier killtime?

It actually has decent range with Primed Reach equipped. It’s not as long as a polearm or whip, but maybe somewhere near the range of a stave with the mod equipped. 

Try it. Nunchakus are actually really good slide crit weapons, and you can easily deal quite a bit of damage during long survival/endurance runs with it. And it is most certainly a CO-viable weapon.

I can make a certain argument for the Shaku as well (with Riven). Decent attack speed, Shattering Impact to strip armor, Viral or Gas setup and you can pretty much beast with it even further than the Ninkondi. 🙂

Edited by (PS4)Lei-Lei_23

I only have a few rivens around in my collection that I would really put in this category: Miter, Tysis, Shaku, Buzlok.
Since two of those have already been talked about already, I'll mention the stats and reasoning of my Shaku riven and Tysis riven.

Shaku: 299.8% melee damage, 165.1% status chance, -69.1% status duration. This one is one of my newer ones so I haven't had as much time to play with it, but Shaku makes a great condition overload build, and has many multi-hit combos. The riven gives a hefty damage increase and the status chance allows you to replace your dual stat status mods with more elemental damage. The status duration negative is not an issue with how fast the weapon kills

Tysis: 133.6% toxin, 174.3% multishot, 62% damage to Grineer, -165.3% critical chance. This was actually one of my first rivens (3rd, I believe) and it has not disappointed; Tysis has a 50% base status chance which allows for an easy forced proc with only two dual stat status mods. The Tysis is also a pure elemental weapon, which allows for careful curation of those forced procs. Tysis is also a pistol, meaning that with Barrel Diffusion and Lethal Torrent you will fire 2-3 shots, resulting in as many procs. The Tysis has abysmal crit stats with only a 3% crit chance, and 1.5x multiplier. Ergo, the riven boosts the innate toxin, boosts the shot/proc count to 4-5, and boosts damage to Grineer by 1.62x (calculated after mods), and removes the small chance for small crits. Completely strips armor in about 10 shots, for enemies above ~lvl 133 that live that long. Pair with some punch through and Mag to cut that number to about 5 (hard to tell, lvl 155 enemies don't quite last that long).

None of the rivens I use actually have ideal stats; some come close, but for the most part I just try to learn what routes I can take to make use of what I am given.

Edited by Nomayonnaiseinireland

7 hours ago, FreeWilliam said:

The Sobek is amazing with a riven with MINUS Impact (and +Status is gravy), it gives you complete control of your status procs 

Yep.  Have this.  Decent weapon.

Oh, and OP, what your strategy needs to be is finding high disposition Rivens and pairing them with weapons that were recently buffed in the rework.  I’m not going to list results because...😏