Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Unpopular opinion about PoE/Eidolons

(XBOX)Oathtaker

I literally hate the whole thing about the Eidolons. I'm MR22, and literally have every mission completed on console and still have been avoiding Eidolon fights. They look clunky, and like a giant pain in the rear and I was hoping i wouldnt need them.

Then i looked at the mats I need for rep to my next amp I want (dont even get me started on the rep on this crap already) but it appeared I had to kill some. Then i checked the mats on the item from the end of the chimera mission or whatever. Just ugh...

It's easy enough to solo the Teralyst a few times a night, that's all you need to do for a few days in order to get what you need, you can avoid the triple fight entirely. Build an amp with the shwaak prism, dump a bunch of forma on the Lanka (no riven required), choose your favorite frame...I like to use a 90% dmg reduction Nova so I can just ignore whatever the Teralyst is doing and focus on aiming (I'm not great at aiming at flailing limbs).

You can also join randoms from Cetus by talking to Konzu, there's usually at least one person that can take out a synovia instantly...and if not, you're no worse off than solo, there's no multiplayer scaling. You can always bring Trinity to babysit the lures, people seem to appreciate that, but it's hardly necessary for the Teralyst. If you get a "good" group that doesn't disband, you can stick with them, stay away from recruiting, those folks wants want meta squads and are looking to do a lot of captures per-night, that just becomes stressful dealing with the Cetus gate and host migrations.

Either way, should only take 5-10 minutes to capture. As far as "boss" fights go, it's very and unsatisfying and visually annoying...but it's only as difficult as you make it for yourself...

3 hours ago, (XB1)Oathtaker said:

Then i looked at the mats I need for rep to my next amp I want (dont even get me started on the rep on this crap already) but it appeared I had to kill some. Then i checked the mats on the item from the end of the chimera mission or whatever. Just ugh...

This is the part that bothers me.  I get that Eidolons cater to a specific playstyle that I don't particularly enjoy (when we can melee them and the whole 'you need one of X and one of Y frame' bit ends then I may change my mind), but it's frustrating that it's hard to really explore kiddo mode in the rest of the game without spending a good bit of time dealing with eidolons. It's like having all the Kuva locked behind spy missions or all the Rivens in Taranis (with a specter that randomly triggers the lasers of course)

They're still a relative novelty for me.

I still have quite a bit of standing to gain with the Quills, so I typically join a random group, help with the lures if necessary and apart from that I just parkour around like a madman to avoid getting damaged and use my Operator to shoot the indicated target areas with my amp. Also revive team mates as necessary.

Still don't really know what I'm doing, but I like to think I'm somewhat useful.

Was an awkward moment last time when the team apparently wanted to do a tricap and put shards in the shrine...then waited for me. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to reach the island / rock the shrine is on. Messed around for several minutes trying to reach the island - eventually did it by breaking out my Archwing, but someone got bored by that time and left. Rest of the group disbanded.

At least I have a K Drive if it happens in future...

MR25 and still haven't touched the last two Eidolons. I hate the fight! I can barely see the spots to do damage, can tell which phase of the fight I'm in, often can't find or damage the hotspots. I just bring a max strength Chroma and stay as close as possible to the squad member that seems to know what they're doing. Speaking of which, I still have to reach max rank Quills in order to get that last Amp strike, time to pull up the Eidolon clock app...

EDIT: tipsy posting, but I think I got my point across!

Edited by (PS4)supernova_girlie

You absolutely and entirely hate something you haven't even tried? That's the problem with this community.

First of all, 5 eidolon shards isn't hard to get at all. The rep grind for quills isn't horrific either, you're MR 22, I ground it out when I was MR 15, it's even worse for MR 10's as I found out by helping friends I got to start playing. The hardest part was figuring out which amp to get because everyone says the numbers to the order which the parts were like 223, but then come to find out they meant 333 or 323 when they actually tell you what parts they have. If your operator is maxed or you don't mind waiting for daily resets, then it's not gonna kill you to get into a few tricaps, get your shards and amp and move on.

47 minutes ago, (PS4)supernova_girlie said:

MR25 and still haven't touched the last two Eidolons. I hate the fight! I can barely see the spots to do damage, can tell which phase of the fight I'm in, often can't find or damage the hotspots. I just bring a max strength Chroma and stay as close as possible to the squad member that seems to know what they're doing. Speaking of which, I still have to reach max rank Quills in order to get that last Amp strike, time to pull up the Eidolon clock app...

EDIT: tipsy posting, but I think I got my point across!

Teralyst has biceps and knees, gauntalyst and hydrolyst have armpits, biceps, and knees, dunno how it's so difficult for you to see the damage spots, literally shows a health bar on it. About the only thing I can figure is you don't know how the fight works and that you need to remove the shield first before you can damage the limbs.

Not sure what you mean by being unable to tell which phase of the fight you're in, remove shield then destroy the limb, rinse and repeat till quill onkko says sentient energy contained (the eidolon will lay on the ground for a bit) when it stands back up you kill it.

6 hours ago, stormy505 said:

The only thing I hate about them is operator mode and how strict people are about meta frames. I hope the big spider boys can be killed with normal weapons and I'm glad they're removing time gate for spiders cause of feedback on eidolons

Play chroma or Trinity and you won't really even need to use operator mode. Strict is good, there's a lot of content where you can bring variety, but some content should narrow down to strategic compositions. There are actually a few different team comps that can be taken into eidolon hunting, but one is most efficient in comparison to the others if you're trying to do 3+ caps. I can agree that having to use snipers is annoying, and I would agree that it would be better with less of a time restraint, but with the way eidolon are you can pull more rewards than you used to from LoR.

Edited by (XB1)BKRS Veeco

Your dislike for Eidolon fights come from a naivety of them. Capturing all three Eidolons will cap your standing for the next three days with the Quills under MR20. Maxing Quills standing is second only to maxing Solaris United standing in how easy it is to backburn it at high MR.

Edited by Sitchrea

9 hours ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Not to mention if you want to be remotely effective in an Eidolon fight you have to drop 2k plat on a lanka riven.

No you don't. The difference between a Riven'd Lanka and a non-Riven'd Lanka for most frames is 1 extra shot. Instead of 1 shotting a syn you two shot it. If you're Chroma, you can still one shot it. Given that multiple people can shoot it at once, the actual time difference can be literally nothing.

Edited by Erytroxylin

all you need to do for this content is get your zaw, amp and fashion frame for operator imo the only thing that was a hard grind was the standing everything else can be done in less that a day once you know what you are doing and have enough gear for konzu.

for the night time part just go on teralyst hunts with zenurick since you'll be focusing on your frame and a frame that either does damage, buffs damage, negates status(harrow), heals lures and team. until you get your amp then you can spec focus for whatever playstyle you opt for

Edited by (PS4)BloodyXSavageX

The quill's rep is pretty easy to do.
Fighting a single cycle or just farm-killing the teralyst will give you enough for days without having to touch them again.
The time-gate that is affected by your mastery and the daily reset is a bit of a pain, but it's by far the easiest standing to level up for in the entire game.

The fight themselves are... Easy, but boring.
I find that they have very little substance to them, it's just one big elevator music joke ;
You archwing-boost and pray for proper lure spawn ( sometime they just don't spawn in any of the nearby bases )
You wait and pray for vombalyst spawn,
You wait and pray for decent operator amp damage connection as you slowly look at the shield bar go down. ( unless you're stacking Madurai in which case eidolons shield are practically not there. )
You one shot the limb, which are just static and then you wait again...

Granted the eidolons have various attacks in between those phase so it's not as straight as I set it...
To be noted; I say "various" but I only remember two that are actually worrying ;
-Punch the ground and there's aim-assisted energy spikes perma-stun locking you. (All eidolons)
-Kick the ground spawns a dozen of beams of light on your last known positions as well as some randomized ones ( only the 2nd eidolon )
The rest are so barely noticeable in term of damage afflicted that they're not even worth dodging.

That's pretty much it, all three eidolons are practically the same except some minor details that will make the fight slightly longer.
(More limbs, More lure required or Vombalyst Portal spawns)

You know one, you know them all.

Edited by (PS4)XxDarkyanxX

I can't snipe for crap, so I always would go in as Oberon and manage lures.  I see people always saying Trinity, but I'm not clear why.  With Oberon I can throw down hallowed ground and save my energy from the pulses after taking out a weak point.  At the same time I can just tank the pulses to recharge my energy with rage, and Phoenix Renewal if I misjudge the amount of damage I can tank.

But that's just me.  Only once has anyone actually objected to using Oberon over Trinity.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Lollybomb said:

I can't snipe for crap, so I always would go in as Oberon and manage lures.  I see people always saying Trinity, but I'm not clear why.  With Oberon I can throw down hallowed ground and save my energy from the pulses after taking out a weak point.  At the same time I can just tank the pulses to recharge my energy with rage, and Phoenix Renewal if I misjudge the amount of damage I can tank.

But that's just me.  Only once has anyone actually objected to using Oberon over Trinity.

Trinity can be more reliable since Blessing gives everyone, including the lures, nice dr and full heal, but in the end they both perform the job just fine. Saving your energy, there are lots of different ways to do it. Oberon is just one. The most common is people individually running arcane nullifiers. Second most common is harrow using the invincible skill on the party.

That's not an unpopular opinion at all! 

Eidolons are just... Too toxic (I mean that in more ways than one). 

It is much more manageable if you are with friends or clan mates. 

I attribute this to following  factors:

1)Too accessible 

too easy to jump into but a *@##$ to actually be good at unless you have extremely strong gear and read the wiki before hand. 

Any low level new player can jump in on Eidolons when it should have been reserved for slightly more experienced players. Said new player then leaves cause he just got his ass handed to him without knowing why or how to beat said giant. And unless some helpful player assists him (which is rare) he will just leave for good. 

Eidolons should have been less accessible, and no "they cant beat em anyway" is not a valid argument neither is "but new players shouldn't be locked out" they should only be seeing their first eidolon much later almost as late as seeing the lephantis maybe. (maybe borrow some mechanics from that while they are at it) 

Maybe a damaged eidolon (on par with damaged mods) as part of the quest would help get the new players ready. 

I know it sounds very elitist but I don't know how to make it sound like anything else. 

2) Too Meta. 

There are 4 (six if you count the slightly less efficient ones) very specific named frames (not a type of frame like CC damage, buff, healer but specific frames volt, Harrow, trin, rhino/Chroma ) that can be used to take down (capture) the Eidolons effectively. 

When you can't use a frame you like and are forced to pick one of four, and that too built in a specific way, it takes away from the fun and enjoyment. Of what should have been a challenging game mode just becomes a sequence machine. 

This Meta extends to the weapon, focus school, and Amp choice too. (Lanka, Rubico, Vectis depending on which riven you have) melee is pretty much useless against Eidolons. Let me smash its legs with a hammer so it stops moving! What's the point of so many combination of amp parts if everyone uses the same 223. Unairu and Madurai are pretty much the only used schools.

3) health sponges with invulnerability. 

This forces people to DPS the mode, and there is no alternative to it, you just have to keep shooting, chipping away the shield until you then start chipping health. 

Then it is invulnerable and you start again. 

DE really needs a better mechanic than invulnerability, specific weak spots on shield you could exploit if you hit accurately with amp when eidolon is siphoning shield from voms for example. Or means to debuff edilons when they are down after destroying a limb. 

Current mechanic is just too boring.

4) More of the same only bigger not better. 

The hydrolyst and gauntalyst are having slightly different mechanics (attacks) than the teralyst but are still the same at the core. You can follow the same brain dead strategy for all 3 and not miss a beat and if we go Meta... They will rarely ever get a chance to use any of these abilities (that's how you get 4x3)

5) Rewards

Arcanes... Ideal rewards for end game when your frames and weapons are already tricked out,  also ideal platinum material. Keeps the economy chugging I guess. 

Shards ,great for gaining focus super fast. 

Pretty much the only reason I did the runs was to Max my focus on my way bounds, and once that was done I stopped playing on the plains. 

Arcanes just kinda accumulated. 

Rewards being good is pretty much the only positive I can think of the whole mode. But once you max it there is little point to go back. 

I haven't hunted an eidolon in months cause there is no point. Other than sell the arcanes for Plat if I ever want to. 

Also the reason why a cheese meta is present,

farming for them is just too... Robotic and easy once you have the best gear. 

The visual clutter, bugs, possibility of going into a seizure, host migrations, squad toxicity keep me away too.