Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thoughts on Excalibur?

SinfulViolet

I chose him as my starter frame, and I really like him.

I've picked up and leveled some others, Banshee and Rhino but I still find myself enjoying Excalibur much more.

Still learning the game, but do you think Excalibur is a Warframe that can last far into the higher levels of the game?

still great no matter what, even the start before during the alpha or during his prime time is still good no matter how much it was bad before like leap (frog jump), his flash, javelin, and slash dash was his old school as new one it was way better...the only thing I miss is his old school slash that goes though enemies, I was doing like cloud Omani-slash attack (not the old school) the movie version because you can go though enemies hitting them and you just need a short range to deal with going back and forward it was spam button 1. Now...1 button is meeehhhh.....

21 minutes ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

Thanks to the augment for his 4, and the ability to mod it as its own weapon, Excalibur can kill lvl 300+ enemies with ease.

The only problem you have to get around is his comparative squishiness, and there are things that can help with that.

Why do people only focus on his 4? It is a very strong DPS that's for sure but let us not forget that his 2 can help his survivability a lot.

A dead DPS is zero DPS. It hurts me to see Excal/Umbra main spamming 4 and keep dying at higher level. He may not be as tank as other frames but very unlikely to down if you know when and where to use 2.

3 hours ago, SinfulViolet said:

I chose him as my starter frame, and I really like him.

I've picked up and leveled some others, Banshee and Rhino but I still find myself enjoying Excalibur much more.

Still learning the game, but do you think Excalibur is a Warframe that can last far into the higher levels of the game?

Yes. He can help you complete the star chart. However, I would encourage you to use him to complete the quest to get Umbra. Details in this link: (Spoiler Alert)

He is slightly stronger, with Umbral mods polarity, and he looks a lot cooler.

Have fun.

Edited by ZesiMuerte
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZesiMuerte said:

Why do people only focus on his 4? It is a very strong DPS that's for sure but let us not forget that his 2 can help his survivability a lot.

A dead DPS is zero DPS. It hurts me to see Excal/Umbra main spamming 4 and keep dying at higher level. He may not be as tank as other frames but very unlikely to down if you know when and where to use 2.

The problem is that building for his 4 (with the augment) requires 180% power strength minimum as well as enough efficiency and duration to hit minimum drain/second. This leaves you with very little mod space, making it hard to give him enough range to make his 2 worth using.

Now, if you are going for a non-chromatic build, then you can get away with less power strength and go for more range, but then you lose the extremely high DPS gain from the augment for his 4.

Altogether, I feel that arcanes, pet/sentinel abilities, etc. are better for providing survivability. Also, a high number of people seem to forget that he has 100% block percentage with Exalted Blade, so blocking can help a lot.

38 minutes ago, ZesiMuerte said:

Yes. He can help you complete the star chart. However, I would encourage you to use him to complete the quest to get Umbra. Details in this link: https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Excalibur/Umbra

He is slightly stronger, with Umbral mods polarity, and he looks a lot cooler.

Have fun.

Spoilers, come on. Don't link something like that...

2 hours ago, SinfulViolet said:

Yes and if you unlock more planets for  more main quests.then you can have spoiler(better version) and then you can have him much better in every way...

6 hours ago, Almighty_Jado said:

I made the mistake of picking Loki as my starter back in the day

I did that too god it was a bad choice. You can’t kill anything, have mana problems, easy to kill... was tragic. Great frame later though when you get mods.

12 hours ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

The problem is that building for his 4 (with the augment) requires 180% power strength minimum

And why is that?
My Excal Prime sits at 130% strength and gets to 100% status with his chromatic Blade.
My Excal Umbra sits at 166% strength and gets to 100% status aswell with a slightly different build.
Why would 180% be needed?

-sounds of a thousand SWOOSHES from exalted blade-

I love Excal, he's by and long my favorite frame and I likely play him WAY too much.

My only issue with him is the general uselessness of Radial Javelin after about level....20ish enemies, it consumes so much energy and really doesn't do much for it.

I'd honestly convert it like I saw in another thread into a "double-action" skill that creates a circle of javelins that act as multi-directional auto-blocking of bullets for marginal damage reduction for a duration and make it so that using it twice sends the javelins out as the skill currently works.

Other than that, Excal is great and amazing, now back to swinging my Exalted Blade...

-gradually fading sound of SWOOSHES-