Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why no Sniper Rivens ?

kayugee

Yes we know they're currently grouped in with Rifle rivens.

I think OP is asking, Why not separate them into their own category?

kitguns are a subclass of pistol, yet they get separated

zaws are a subclass of melee, yet they get separated

snipers are a subclass of rifle, following that logic shouldn't they get separated too?

Spoiler

think OP is asking, Why not separate them into their own category?

snipers are a subclass of rifle, following that logic shouldn't they get separated too?

this,

bow rivens would be nice too 😄

Edited by kayugee

Personally, I would prefer fewer categories than we have today.

rifle, shotgun -> combine into 'primary riven'

kitgun, pistol -> combine into 'secondary riven'

zaw, melee -> combine into 'melee riven'

ie, I would like to see the distinctions for shotgun, kitgun, zaw, removed.

All they do is inflate the value of those 'rare' veiled types. Lump them all together with the more 'common' veiled types, for less market exploitation and more accessible rivens for everyone.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

This is only half true.
If you get Riven Mods from Sorties, there are only 4 groups. (Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Melee)
Sure, Zaws are a subclass of melee, but if you get a Zaw Riven from a Sortie, it will just say Melee Riven.

Only if DE hands out Rivens for a specific type of weapon, it will be labeled as "Zaw" or "Kitgun".
So not having Sniper Rivens is totally fine.
DE could generate Sniper Rivens if they wanted. But what you wrote isn't a reason that we should get sniper rivens.

26 minutes ago, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

Yes we know they're currently grouped in with Rifle rivens.

I think OP is asking, Why not separate them into their own category?

22 minutes ago, kayugee said:
  Reveal hidden contents

this,

bow rivens would be nice too 😄

So, it's about names?

I think if you review your posts, you will find one possible answer: Zaws and Kitguns are modular subclasses of Melee and Secondary, sniper rifles are not.

Then why are Shotguns their own class? Simple: because they use an entirely different set of mods, while rifles, bows and sniper rifles share mostly the same mods.

Either way, if it's just about naming, I don't really see much point in a separate Sniper riven class.

Edited by KnossosTNC
  • Like 5

Most likely they did it to let the players know that the veil mod that they have is for that category. Before this was implemented, after I unveiled a riven I always look in the codex/market for their stats; however, that's not possible with a zaw/kitgun riven. So the times I did get a riven for zaw/kitgun, I had no idea it was for them until I realized I couldn't search them up like I could with the other weapons.

In Hotfix 24.2.6, the note reads

• Updated Riven Mods to have proper names for Zaw and Kitguns, instead of using Melee and Pistol in names.

So they gave them proper names but I don't think they made a new branch of riven type. Bear with me on this, what you think is along the lines of

• Rifle, Shotgun, Pistol, Melee, Zaw, and Kitgun

What i believe is really going on is

• Rifle, Shotgun, Pistol (Kitgun included), and Melee (Zaw included)

Reasons why I believe this is before that update, I had times where I got a Zaw/Kitgun rivens from veiled Melee/Pistol rivens, respectfully. So by coding they are still melee and pistol mod just given proper name. The other reason is that on login day 1150, you get a choice of 1 of 3 riven caches: 3 rivens for rifles, 3 for pistols, or 3 for melee. Here's the kicker - (I don't specifically remember) either pistol or melee cache had a kitgun or zaw riven included, respectfully. OriginalWickedfun even has the login reward recorded, you'll see a Zaw Riven is under Melee Riven Cache.

2 hours ago, KnossosTNC said:

What do you mean? They're just lumped in with rifle rivens. I have one for the Vectis.

Crit chance and damage. Got it on the first roll. *blows kisses at it* Some day, I will have a Vectis Prime to use you...

cant you still get a free vectis P from twitch?

What I want to know is are zaw rivens now labeled zaw riven?. Cause kitguns are and they both relate each to there own open area, with there own farming requirements related to those zones.  Where as snipers like most weapons require resources farmed from the solar system.  

6 hours ago, KnossosTNC said:

Just checked. Yup. However, I don't have a Twitch account, nor do I have any intention of making one.

I will not be taking advantage of prime with prime also.  I always thought it a bit shady how a free to play game would require you to make a subscription to another service to get free things from a ftp game.  Good for people who have it already though.

Zaw and kitgun rivens are separate because they are likely programmed entirely differently, since modular gear is programmed in an incredibly stupid way in general.

Here's some actual history on it: When Zaws were first added to the game, people started getting "melee riven mods" that for some reason they could not actually equip on any melee weapon. This is because, despite the item display name faking otherwise, zaw rivens were already programmed as a separate category. DE had to patch it to let you equip the secretly-zaw rivens on regular melee weapons to unveil them. What's really funny is that they then made the exact same mistake with kitgun rivens not being equppable on secondaries a year later!

The entire time that they existed before the names were finally given honesty, you could even look at the official drop tables and see that sorties had two separate listings for "melee riven mod", and for a shorter period of time also two listings of "pistol riven mods".

Point is they  have ALWAYS been a separate category and it's probably because the zaws were so bizarrely programmed that they needed to be in a separate pool.

EDIT: As an addendum, I believe it's been tested a few times, and veiled riven mods do not actually have their specific weapon rolled until you DO unveil them, since people will sometimes stockpile veiled types of a category to try and get one for a new weapon as soon as it comes out. though of course, it did not work for zaws or kitguns since they ended up having entirely new riven categories.

Edited by OvisCaedo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, NekroArts said:

Most likely they did it to let the players know that the veil mod that they have is for that category. Before this was implemented, after I unveiled a riven I always look in the codex/market for their stats; however, that's not possible with a zaw/kitgun riven. So the times I did get a riven for zaw/kitgun, I had no idea it was for them until I realized I couldn't search them up like I could with the other weapons.

In Hotfix 24.2.6, the note reads

So they gave them proper names but I don't think they made a new branch of riven type. Bear with me on this, what you think is along the lines of

• Rifle, Shotgun, Pistol, Melee, Zaw, and Kitgun

What i believe is really going on is

• Rifle, Shotgun, Pistol (Kitgun included), and Melee (Zaw included)

Reasons why I believe this is before that update, I had times where I got a Zaw/Kitgun rivens from veiled Melee/Pistol rivens, respectfully. So by coding they are still melee and pistol mod just given proper name. The other reason is that on login day 1150, you get a choice of 1 of 3 riven caches: 3 rivens for rifles, 3 for pistols, or 3 for melee. Here's the kicker - (I don't specifically remember) either pistol or melee cache had a kitgun or zaw riven included, respectfully. OriginalWickedfun even has the login reward recorded, you'll see a Zaw Riven is under Melee Riven Cache.

I wanted that packet of melee of riven including that zaw riven.  Welp I guess I have to do 1150 days....this is going to stink.

10 hours ago, (PS4)Equinox21697 said:

We don't need more riven classes just so getting Lanka or Rubico Rivens would become easier, I understand the zaw Rivens but the kitgun rivens were completely unnecessary, there are like 4 of them at the moment so why get their own riven mod?

because we are getting more kitgun types in the near future including primary kitguns

• Like 1

11 hours ago, (PS4)Equinox21697 said:

We don't need more riven classes just so getting Lanka or Rubico Rivens would become easier, I understand the zaw Rivens but the kitgun rivens were completely unnecessary, there are like 4 of them at the moment so why get their own riven mod?

The potential is there to add more much like there were more zaws added. 

• Like 1

On 2019-02-10 at 7:11 AM, WhiteMarker said:
On 2019-02-10 at 7:01 AM, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

This is only half true.
If you get Riven Mods from Sorties, there are only 4 groups. (Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Melee)
Sure, Zaws are a subclass of melee, but if you get a Zaw Riven from a Sortie, it will just say Melee Riven.

This is only half true.
If you get Riven Mods from Sorties, there are only 4 groups. (Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Melee)
Sure, Zaws are a subclass of melee, but if you get a Zaw Riven from a Sortie, it will just say Melee Riven.

Only if DE hands out Rivens for a specific type of weapon, it will be labeled as "Zaw" or "Kitgun".

I've gotten sortie veiled riven rewards labeled "kitgun".  Maybe it's possible to unveil secondary Rivens that turn out to be kitguns, but I haven't personally seen it.

I haven't seen veiled zaw sortie rewards, although FWIW the wiki lists them the same way it does melee, rifle, pistol, kitgun, and shotgun.

Edited by Tiltskillet