Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why are there so few Youtubers showcasing Ideas or Concepts?

DreisterDino

Hey there,

i wanna ask this question because it has been on my mind for some time. Upfront: I dont want this to become some sort of Youtuber-bashing!

I stopped watching Youtubers a long time ago (i do still sometimes check if there is something worth to watch, but i rarely find anything).

The Warframe Partners have a big audience and it is pretty much a fact that DE often checks on what they are posting.

Hence the question: Why dont they use their influence more to showcase ideas or concepts from the community or themselves to put the focus on that?

There is only 1 Youtuber i know who showcases Warframe-Concepts from the community from time to time and another Youtuber who goes into detail with Lore.

90% of what the other Partners do is:

• thousands of the eversame "guides" for Builds
  • toplists of the best weapons and frames every year
  • guides for how to farm something as quick as possible
  • reading patchnotes in a Video
  • or simply some meme videos

This doesnt have much value imo. I know, part of their Job is to simply promote Warframe, but even with that in mind i think there are better ways do that.

Regarding that, something that could be entertaining to watch while involving the community and advertising the game could be montages of user-submitted videos ranging from awesome kills, great parcour-manouvers, unique ways to achieve something and so on - i mean thats not a revolutionary idea, this exists for many games. I'm not saying the content they do has to be super serious all the time (i dont suggest that they only talk about "important" topics all the time and discuss possible content etc) but i do think that they could use their position a lot better and try to promote and push good ideas from time to time.

What do you guys think why this isnt the case?

Is it simply too much work?

Or did they gave up on trying to change something and stick to simply "doing their job?"

I dont really know, i mean most of them said at some point that they "cant produce any content continously with what the game has to offer" but the 2 things i suggested are basically an endless pool of content you can create, but it does take a little more work ofc. There are many other things no one does aswell - showcase Dojos/Fanart on your channels, make contest for the players where they have to create or do something special in the game - but basically all i ever see is "hey this is my 4-forma standard build for weapon x, go watch me kill some enemies with frozen AI in the Simularum" 😛

Edited by DreisterDino
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Viridias said:

...how do you "showcase," in a stream, something by definition not in the game to begin with? Inquiring minds are perplexed.

Look through reddit and pull ideas as reddit and even the forums have loads of ideas

Which Youtuber are you referring to that highlights concepts?  I assume you mean Xandy Pants, and if you didn't, you should check out his various video series.   He's not a min-maxer, or a farming guide-type at all,  but instead explores interesting things you can do with game mechanics such as total frame/weapon load out/mod load out synergies to find weird and sometimes unexpected ways of playing Warframe.  He's even invented an entire new game mode called Drift Frame focused solely on racing. 

14 minutes ago, paul5473 said:

Look through reddit and pull ideas as reddit and even the forums have loads of ideas

But how would they actually showcase that in a way that would interest the viewers? I know I wouldn't want to watch someone just sit there explaining some reddit or forum post concept.

34 minutes ago, DreisterDino said:

Or did they gave up on trying to change something and stick to simply "doing their job?"

I think the partners are doing things they like doing and what their viewers enjoy (aka what brings the most views). I know many guides, builds and top lists have actually been requested by viewers or are done based on frequent questions like "what is your favorite primary weapon?" and "what build did you use on your latest video / stream?"

25 minutes ago, paul5473 said:

Pretty sure at that point you'd be waaaaaaay better off composing a post about it here (or on a blog or whatever) rather than rambling about in on video which mostly just sounds like a waste of everybody's time and a great way to lose viewer interest. Again - how would you go about "showcasing" something that isn't in the game in the first place, as is the case with "ideas or concepts from the community" pretty much per definitionem?

• Like 2

The reality of Youtube, especially for anyone who attempts to make it a job, is that pulling in views is the only important factor and unfortunantly the easiest way to accomplish that is with clickbait and drama. And the excess of tutorials are due to them being low effort when the prerequisite knowledge for making one for Warframe is an afternoon of reading the wiki.

Not saying they're all the same with this but the majority of Youtube in general is like this.

It's also why some partners and "content creators" have the need to make a "Warframe is dead/dying" video every six months.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Leyvonne said:

But how would they actually showcase that in a way that would interest the viewers? I know I wouldn't want to watch someone just sit there explaining some reddit or forum post concept.

I think the partners are doing things they like doing and what their viewers enjoy (aka what brings the most views). I know many guides, builds and top lists have actually been requested by viewers or are done based on frequent questions like "what is your favorite primary weapon?" and "what build did you use on your latest video / stream?"

By building it, or demonstrating it, in game and being entertaining about it.   I mean, if the idea is fun or useful in game, it can be shown there.  They would DO the idea, SHOW the idea, not just talk about it. 

I'm not saying that would bring in the maximum number of eyeballs but it would garner a loyal following.  A lot of that is up to the on-screen personality of the Youtuber as well, of course. 

They dont do it because what they are after are quick views and clicks. Much the same reason why we see weapon guides flooding YT shortly after they are released with little of value in the actual videos. You get the same old build for every new weapon really without actually accounting for their strengths and weaknesses. Then they run around and shoot at some random low level mobs in the background video and do a poor test on some sim-dummies, then coming to the conclussion "this gun is amazing" or "this gun sucks".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DreisterDino said:

• "DE does 1 thing I dislike. WarFrAmE iS DyInG REEEEEEEEEEEEEE" *Rant for 30 minutes. Repeat every update.

Fixed that for you.

Edited by -AiLuoLi-

vor 20 Minuten schrieb Don_T_Shoot:

By building it, or demonstrating it, in game and being entertaining about it.   I mean, if the idea is fun or useful in game, it can be shown there.  They would DO the idea, SHOW the idea, not just talk about it. 

I'm not saying that would bring in the maximum number of eyeballs but it would garner a loyal following.  A lot of that is up to the on-screen personality of the Youtuber as well, of course. 

@Viridias and @Leyvonne Pretty much this!

And if you look through some Concepts of Players for Warframes for example, they often add Concept Arts aswell.

The "being entertaining" part is important - i mean, did it never happen to you that you have watched a Video about topic or a game of which you never thought it would interest you? It happened to me, you click on it because you are bored, and suddenly the Video is so well made and presents the thing in such an interesting and entertaining way that you have watched the whole thing and enjoyed it. So, it should be perfectly possible to produce a video about a concept in an interesting and entertaining way imo.

But yeah, that takes more than just recording some ingamefootage in the Simularum or a random mission real quick,

you gotta do some research, collect images and videos that support your point (from other games for example) and put everything together.

It could be interesting imo because it would make the player think about how Warframe could be, and if many people like and support that idea,

DE will notice and might think "ok this really seems like a great idea, lets try to do it". My point is - a well made video might help these good ideas become reality.

Edited by DreisterDino

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Drachnyn:

Because no one cares about that. Neither DE nor viewers and a proper concept for a new frame/gamemode actually takes a lot of time. It's just wasted effort.

Have you seen some of the Warframe Concepts made by players?

There are many really well thought out concepts for Frames i would really love to play, but instead we often get Warframes that feel a little uninspired with copy+paste abilities from DE (ofc this is up to each players taste)

DE has limited time and is a small studio - so why not takes some of those awesome concepts other people took their time to create?

Edited by DreisterDino
  • Like 1

My guess is that these types of videos will do well with newish warframe players.

So much of the warframe experience is just googling “what the hell is ”warframe” that content will probably bias toward that.

vor 2 Minuten schrieb DreisterDino:

Have you seen some of the Warframe Concepts made by players?

There are many really well thought out concepts for Frames i would really love to play, but instead we often get Warframes that feel a little uninspired with copy+paste abilities from DE.

DE has limited time and is a small studio - so why not takes some of those awesome concepts other people took their time to create?

Sure some concepts are cool but DE doesnt care about them and the partners dont really have that much influence in what DE does. Sure partners can make videos about things but the only thing that really makes DE listen to issues are their sale numbers. Fan concepts have no influence on that pretty much.

Hey there,

i wanna ask this question because it has been on my mind for some time. Upfront: I dont want this to become some sort of Youtuber-bashing!

I stopped watching Youtubers a long time ago (i do still sometimes check if there is something worth to watch, but i rarely find anything).

The Warframe Partners have a big audience and it is pretty much a fact that DE often checks on what they are posting.

Hence the question: Why dont they use their influence more to showcase ideas or concepts from the community or themselves to put the focus on that?

There is only 1 Youtuber i know who showcases Warframe-Concepts from the community from time to time and another Youtuber who goes into detail with Lore.

This doesnt have much value imo. I know, part of their Job is to simply promote Warframe, but even with that in mind i think there are better ways do that.

Regarding that, something that could be entertaining to watch while involving the community and advertising the game could be montages of user-submitted videos ranging from awesome kills, great parcour-manouvers, unique ways to achieve something and so on - i mean thats not a revolutionary idea, this exists for many games. I'm not saying the content they do has to be super serious all the time (i dont suggest that they only talk about "important" topics all the time and discuss possible content etc) but i do think that they could use their position a lot better and try to promote and push good ideas from time to time.

I dont really know, i mean most of them said at some point that they "cant produce any content continously with what the game has to offer" but the 2 things i suggested are basically an endless pool of content you can create, but it does take a little more work ofc. There are many other things no one does aswell - showcase Dojos/Fanart on your channels, make contest for the players where they have to create or do something special in the game - but basically all i ever see is "hey this is my 4-forma standard build for weapon x, go watch me kill some enemies with frozen AI in the Simularum" 😛

It requires more effort and research for them to do that, and it has the potential to not draw in as many viewers.  

It's one of those nothing ventured nothing gained situations.  What they're doing works, so no one wants to change it.  Personally, I would love to see that.  I'd probably watch more streams if they showcased upcoming content or player made content that made it into the game.  

Hey there,

I think the short answer is:

"Minimum effort for maximum reward".

"How-to" videos are a lot easier to put together, either from their own experience, or having watched someone else do it.

Same thing with update / general content reviews or reactions...its just offering an opinion, or agreeing / disagreeing with others' opinions.

Doesn't take too much effort and guarantees a lot of views...especially with clickbait titles.

Actually having to come up with ORIGINAL and PRACTICAL ideas that can be done within the game's existing framework, takes a lot more thought and effort. I guess thats too much like hard work for most YouTubers.

Not really that much of a mystery really. Only a small handful of content creators will be genuinely passionate, objective and constructive. The rest will just copycat or react to whatever they do...or rant about every little thing that they deem to be wrong with the game, the devs, the community...whatever...

The one mitigating excuse / reason is that once one person (or a gifted few) have set themselves up as the top content creators, its hard for anyone else to do anything new or original.

Edited by FlusteredFerret

14 minutes ago, DreisterDino said:

And if you look through some Concepts of Players for Warframes for example, they often add Concept Arts aswell.

--

you gotta do some research, collect images and videos that support your point (from other games for example) and put everything together.

It could be interesting imo because it would make the player think about how Warframe could be, and if many people like and support that idea,

And this would not be better served in a written format, which in any case is altogether faster and easier to both parse and if necessary reference, how exactly? Full disclosure: I consider videos to be about the worst format possible for presenting just about ANY kind of argument or proposal because of previous.

did it never happen to you that you have watched a Video about topic or a game of which you never thought it would interest you?

No. Can't say it did, I've pretty stronk mental filters.

DE will notice and might think "ok this really seems like a great idea, lets try to do it". My point is - a well made video might help these good ideas become reality.

Fairly sure this files under "that's not how any of this works" as others have already mentioned...

vor 26 Minuten schrieb Viridias:

Fairly sure this files under "that's not how any of this works" as others have already mentioned...

Iam not that stupid to think that DE will just use every nice idea somebody presents in a Video and throw all of their own ideas out of the window just because it got a few likes. 😉 But at least they have an eye on what they post.

Thats why i would like to see Youtubers put a spotlight on good ideas - yes, DE will probably still ignore most of those ideas and simply do what they are working on and thats ok of course, but just every now and then they might notice something they never thought about and implement some of the ideas/requests from the community.

Edited by DreisterDino

Why put any actual effort when you can get more views by click-baiting, making drama over petty things and preaching same s*it over and over again to your own little choir?

Honestly I am kind of glad that the major YouTubers don't delve into concepts too much, when they do so they give an elevated platform to certain ideas with much not recourse for discussion. Reworks and concepts are something that should be discussed, not proclaimed, and the general attitude of nearly every Warframe YouTuber is "my way or the highway" so I would much rather see them avoid writing their opinions as law even more.

That said, these Forums and Reddit have both lost a lot of their "forum" attributes, Reddit being... Reddit and the Forums being a platform that actively encourages the discussion of bad ideas over good ones.

While I would love to see the discussion of concepts be given a platform, someplace where they the rational can be discussed, I don't have any trust in any of the Warframe YouTubers to take an objective AND deep dive (some may be objective, some may go deep, but none I can think of will do both).

Edited by DrBorris

The answer is simple: It just wouldn't make for good video-content.

Still not interested in watching WF on YouTube or Twitch, but a "concept" video just sounds so far down the list in what could garner views.

Edited by Sean

2 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

They dont do it because what they are after are quick views and clicks. Much the same reason why we see weapon guides flooding YT shortly after they are released with little of value in the actual videos. You get the same old build for every new weapon really without actually accounting for their strengths and weaknesses. Then they run around and shoot at some random low level mobs in the background video and do a poor test on some sim-dummies, then coming to the conclussion "this gun is amazing" or "this gun sucks".

That bolded part is the one that I find the most funny in those videos. So much so that I tend to ignore it completely and do my own tests.  😄

2 hours ago, MagPrime said:

It requires more effort and research for them to do that, and it has the potential to not draw in as many viewers.  

It's one of those nothing ventured nothing gained situations.  What they're doing works, so no one wants to change it.  Personally, I would love to see that.  I'd probably watch more streams if they showcased upcoming content or player made content that made it into the game.  

I would like to see videos like that myself.