Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Could DE do something about „Contnent droughts“ ?

LarryOtter

What makes people crying for "content drought"? Is it because there's really nothing to do, or because they don't want to do old content and just want to play new content until it's empty in a day before complaining on the next day?

• Like 1

Just now, 844448 said:

What makes people crying for "content drought"? Is it because there's really nothing to do, or because they don't want to do old content and just want to play new content until it's empty in a day before complaining on the next day?

Thats pretty much it

1 hour ago, (PS4)Kakurine2 said:

Yes long stretches of no new content sucks.  But de is not that big a company and warframe is a free game.  Des employees don't get paid more when its already relying on prime access and unvaultings to keep the lights on.

Would you rather de rush things when they are buggy or broken? Would you be willing to pay a sub so de can hire a bigger team?

Warframe doesn't have yo be a hardcore game.  Pop in crack skulls at your leisure and take breaks in between patches if you have everything presently in the game.

Man don't wanna attack you or anything but the whole post is just wrong.

DE number's are more than enough, especially when they don't have another title to work at the same time with WF.

No matter if they rush or not, the final result will be half baked, buggy and broken and will remain as such for a long time after release.

And that's the real problem here i believe.It's not the time they take to make something but the final product that doesn't justify the time it took to make.DE themselves said that they have to update constantly in order to keep the game alive and that was what kept the game alive till POE.

Their decisions show how distanced from their game they are.No one tests the game(aside from if it just works) but the PC community and they don't put themselves in their community's place.Echoes of Umbra, melee 2.99999, dog days event, even pure utility and efficiency of the loadouts/UI.You can ask the most casual player and tell you that these things are inconvenient or not needed and how to fix them.The brain behind those things just lives on another planet, i can't explain it otherwise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fire2box said:

Warframe isn't a free to play game. I've never seen more then one account "finish" the game (objective was get to sorties, do one solo, end account) without trading and with turning off gifts and no buying plat/prime access. People do not play this way. What people do is either they buy or trade for plat so they can keep warframes and guns. someone, somewhere pays so people can play Warframe. Atop of this they have cosmetics. 

As for what DE will use money on from cosmetics. Why make content that needs scripts, level designs, lore work, etc when they can simply make more cosmetics to sell for more money? 

What happened after they released Roombas for 100p each? They release a 6 pack of colored ones with one being normal for 500p. They didn't make a mini gamemode based upon them. And I personally spent around 5,000 plat on them. 

Don't you find the noise maddening? I got to around 12 or 13 roombas before the constant sound of mechanical succ while in menus/arsenal started to drive me nuts.

1 hour ago, 844448 said:

Old content is years old, we've been doing same missions on the same maps for 1000s of times. The primes farming nodes haven't changed in years. It's the same maps over and over since relics introduction waay back in 2016 (they might have changed a couple, new Uranus def and the Jupiter got updated but that's it) Hello DE, reshuffle the maps and add other into rotation already please! XP and relic farm is the same - drop tables need reshuffling. You want a self-sustained replayable system, you need variety and rotation. But everyone goes to same few maps like Hydron because its an efficient small map with relics and good XP gains - no point to go to other places.

Not only it's old, it's boring and absolutely trivial. Sorties are trivial (even new player faceroll them now, unlike 4 years ago), ESO is trivial (and just a dull ability spam with efficient premade to get your daily focus). Ult spam killed action gameplay. Eidolons - trivial routine for experienced players (still the best new addition to WF in my opinion but it gets old too and it's time-gated).

DE adamantly refuses to make harder content available. Arbitrations still start slow, have pathetic spawns (depending on a map) and the main problem is you cant chose, you get a game mode you don't want to play for 5-6 hrs. What does it achieve other that making me close WF and go play something else? Oh and they are locked and hidden too, I bet only few% of players ever reach them.

Then there is no progress to motivate, there are no meaningful rewards, we've become too overpowered to care about anything (Eidolons were good because they gave people new progression and motivation to max operators focus and amps. And they reward skill, teamplay and give good rewards. This is the kind of content WF needs. And people still play it.)

And Fortuna deserves its own topic - its a huge empty dead decoration that people wont play. Anyone wants to go seal fractures (which is just a mobile defense - game mode everyone considers the most boring). Or grind for toroids huh (which 95% of people dont even know where to farm, thanks to obfuscation by design). Most people never even max Solaris United because bounties are no fun and the daily cap turns it into a giant wait-wall.  And Ventkids are so buggy you might not even get them to load - maybe that's why only 0.5% of accounts got Kdrive achievements?

How many people ever got to Profittaker or got to play new frames (and Khora is not even new but still locked behind trerrible grind). And Ropalolist is locked behind quests that people cant find... There is actually quite a bit of content no one plays because it's locked and hidden so well. DE totally shoot themselves in the foot.

TLDR Old content been to beaten death years ago and is too boring. A lot of new content is buried and hidden.

Edited by Monolake

vor 3 Stunden schrieb LarryOtter:

What do you guys think ?

I think your font size is too big.

TBH, do it like nearly everyone who plays this games long term. Do breaks. It's fun but casual. Don't expect any plans for long term content because it simply won't happen. WF lives from account creations not staying power.

2 hours ago, Fire2box said:

Warframe isn't a free to play game. I've never seen more then one account "finish" the game (objective was get to sorties, do one solo, end account) without trading and with turning off gifts and no buying plat/prime access. People do not play this way. What people do is either they buy or trade for plat so they can keep warframes and guns. someone, somewhere pays so people can play Warframe. Atop of this they have cosmetics. 

You could easily do that challenge if you intend to and have the time to waste. You could even do it at mr0 in theory - if only there were no MR locks on sorties and other missions (Ive done starchart and soloed Rathum and Kella on mr0 acc no-potato Mag when I was bored and had nothing to do before PoE). 

It's normal f2p - pay or grind. Most people just grind, but enough people pay to make WF very successful and profitable game so yeah the money is not a question, WF earns enough to pay fairly big studio and make profit, its not a 'small indie game'.

The best thing to do about content droughts is to make a concerted effort to make frames take more effort to nuke, mass CC, perma-invis or be immortal with.

It's been demonstrated that more effort makes the brain more sensitive to the outcome, including rewards. In other words, if nuking and success came from skillful play, they'd feel better to do, and thus things would feel less repetitive. Therefore, playing the game would be more engaging.

In other words, the oldest trick in the game design book. If you can't make more of it, make what you have last longer. Worked for Pac-Man, Mario and tons of others.

I’m guessing the split teams thing is partially why big updates come slow. They have to split their resources among several projects (Railjack, the New War, Melee 3.0, Duviri, frames, More missions, deluxe skins, bug fixes, Prime Frames, nightwave lore and cosmetic work, operations, and mini passion projects to keep staff from going insane). That’s a lot in the works, and if it was only one team, yeah that’d be slow. So I’m sure they already have multiple teams working on different things.

Having said that, I hope that in the future they maybe focus on fewer things at a time so that the player base isn’t waiting as long for the cool stuff.

TLDR:

I’m sure they already have multiple teams, they’ve just kind of overcommitted themselves to too many projects to push the big stuff out fast while keeping it all functional. 

2 hours ago, sinnae said:

Don't you find the noise maddening? I got to around 12 or 13 roombas before the constant sound of mechanical succ while in menus/arsenal started to drive me nuts.

I virtually play on mute. I also only have 12 or so. I gave lots away to randomsurge and shul. 

Edited by Fire2box

3 hours ago, 844448 said:

You hit the nail right on the head with this one.  

Just now, kapn655321 said:

I feel like we're drowning in content, and I'd be happy with several months of balance and tweaks to even out the usage/use of weapons.

it's not new, shiny, lore, and or meta shifting there for not content to them what even is content to some people it's all subjective and i find the whole content dought buzz pointless.

it's people tired/bored of the game and just wanting to complain there is nothing new to do to make them even more powerful and or wow them. That the old content is too easy to do and thus becomes boring grind due to power creep. Those are the two hot ticket forum topics at all times "Actual content" and "Challenge" and since those two topics are subjective to people's perspective. This is a never ending conversation of subjective ideas and salt production also entertainment if your inclined to that idea as well .

• Like 1

The "drought" problem is a twofold issue.

The biggest issue is that there is little that DE could make that the playerbase won't cheese/exploit/no-life in a week or two even without making arbitrary stop points or week caps, which as anyone will tell you are more disliked than even the lack of content.

The other problem comes from the inherent design limitations due to the flexibility and power that we as players can exert on the game as a whole, with both weapons and Warframes. This usually requires hard limits on what we as players can do such as damage caps with damage windows, insane damage resistance, ability immunity and so on.

Because of these two details it is difficult for DE to develop anything that has a lasting impact as most players will dive into something new, get what they want, and then ignore the content for the rest of the game's lifespan (Defection, Infested Salvage etc.). This leads to the recurring problem of players having "nothing to do" because they have already done everything short of pointlessly grinding for MR or hopping on the Riven train, both of which can lead to content being run dry even faster through standing cap increases and planet killing power respectively.

To sum it up in a simple terms, the reason why very little content has any lasting appeal comes down to the fact that players have the tools to circumvent any design limitations that DE as developers can put on the table due to growing experience of the retained playerbase.

The "drought" effect stems from the content being similar in baseline design to the point where the usual tactics will usually work without many issues. This is why I'm hoping that Railjack is a success, because it may require people to change and adapt to different situations with a new learning process and new design characteristics which players will have to overcome.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, seprent said:

i find the whole content dought buzz pointless

Agreed.

There's supposed to be a long term ton of content.
Folks rush through it with these laser like strategy guide techniques,
employ every exploit time and money can buy,
and then wonder why they beat the game so fast, and things are boring. 😃

That's not everything, surely, but it plays a role.

Content to some may also mean those updates for tweaks.
They may see it as rounding out old content..
It really just is a buzz word that is practically meaningless with how many things it might be.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AuroraSonicBoom said:

The only way I can see DE being able to alleviate content droughts is by giving meaning to playing them game by itself, and not for any rewards you've already gotten. That way it can keep people occupied and entertained, bridging the gap between new content releases. Sadly, it's something they said they won't do. No intrinsic rewards, just more gear and skins.

Which is exactly what's causing the burnout. They're making more work for themselves, while retaining less and less players.

4 hours ago, 844448 said:

Neither. 

Steve is aware of this at least, as per the latest dev stream: current gameplay loops lack intrinsic rewards. Because they decided a few years ago to simply keep throwing rewards at players and build their business around it (see Scott scoffing at Steve), transitioning to intrinsic rewards is probably very difficult for them, if not impossible.

Their current model burns out the players, probably makes them do a lot of extra work, and doesn't solve the retention problems WF has been having over the last year or so (note: while the game's pop is fine, the turnover of new players and vets is a lot greater, which is backed up by Steam data).

WF needs to make the game more accessible to newcomers, while improving intrinsic rewards (i.e. making game modes fun and engaging again, regardless of extrinsic rewards). They can actually easily achieve this by implementing more mechanical skill checks in missions, kind of like the Exploiter and Ropalolyst fights. Leave the power creeped weapons for clearing trash as it's currently. It's the only way to make Kuva Liches interesting.

Edited by Ikyr0
  • Like 1

More important than new content is that they continue the dedicated work of hammering out bugs.

Nothing is sadder than a steam title that had all the right stuff, but just was fundamentally broken, with no hope for a fix in sight.
So long as they keep giving us hotfixes for "fixed this bit of clipping," or ,"fixed this crash," or whatever, I'm happy to keep putting bullets in Grineer.
This is not to say others aren't crucially drawn towards big new things and brand new purchases, and all that stuff.
It's not to say there's any problem there, except that.. that thrill cannot be infinitely sustained.
Ultimately what keeps you compelled to the game has to exist in it's core functions and mechanics at heart.
It's always nice to have new ways to express that, no doubt.

If all they did was take what we have now and find new ways to harmonize things with one another (which they have been doing,)
then we'd still have new things to look forward to with the same pool of, "content," if that's how you regard it.
It's also respectable that they still have so much more vision for what they want in this game.

We get so bent up about it because this game is in many ways so very close to excellence to us all, for our own reasons.
That bares keeping in mind when we start telling DE what to do with their vision.

• Like 1