Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(PC) Gauss / Signature Weapons Feedback

[DE]Danielle

9 hours ago, (PS4)allfatherthor77 said:

Overall a great balanced frame but he needs his 1, 3, 4 to be buffed and with max duration you shouldnt have to take forever to get to 100% Redline.

Great, balanced, and yet somehow almost everything needs improvements =P

You guys really should stop sugar-coating so much unless you want him to stay underwhelming forever.

• Like 7

I realize this might be anti-thematic, but can Gauss' battery charge while hacking a console? I know this is the case for reviving a team mate.

I was doing solo Exterminate relic missions on Ceres and the Grineer can lock down their entire base with enough alarms. You are forced to hack consoles. It's especially true for Corpus that like to have breakable glass in long corridors on space ships (I guess the Grineer are smarter at ship design? No breakable glass!). The Corpus can too lock down their entire base with enough alarm pulls (happened to me a few times on Jupiter!).

So while you can avoid casting Redline in certain areas of Corpus spaceships, you otherwise have no warning about lock downs from normal alarms. In all cases, you are forced to hack a console and Redline is extraordinarily punishing if you stand still even for a few seconds.

I think most peoples issues with Gauss could be fixed if redline was a recast-able ability like Chroma's Vex armor. This could potentially fix peoples issues with his damage output, as he could always maintain his attack speed and fire rate bonuses. Although maybe reduce his max damage reduction to 99% if you make the ability capable of being kept up forever, as that would cause some obvious issues. As for people complaining that we can't scale his first abilities speed, maybe make that part of his 4th abilities buffs (albeit a relatively small buff compared to his other ones). Other people on the forum, i encourage you to add feedback to my suggestions (I'm unsure if anyone else has suggested this but I'm sure the idea is lingering out there somewhere)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpaceGiraffe546 said:

I think most peoples issues with Gauss could be fixed if redline was a recast-able ability like Chroma's Vex armor. This could potentially fix peoples issues with his damage output, as he could always maintain his attack speed and fire rate bonuses. Although maybe reduce his max damage reduction to 99% if you make the ability capable of being kept up forever, as that would cause some obvious issues. As for people complaining that we can't scale his first abilities speed, maybe make that part of his 4th abilities buffs (albeit a relatively small buff compared to his other ones). Other people on the forum, i encourage you to add feedback to my suggestions (I'm unsure if anyone else has suggested this but I'm sure the idea is lingering out there somewhere)

As I see it there are really 2 main issues with Gauss according to the back and forth's i've had and from reading people's impressions:

1) His mod restrictions

2) His over redundancy

Both seem like small things but they spiral into a lot.  The former impacts his capability to be a team player with his cc without significantly impacting the other parts of his kit.  Which rolls into his whole battery mechanic.  Which instead of being something fun that you actively work towards to have a better and better performance/experience ends up feeling like a mandatory chore to maintain just so you can get a taste of what is considered acceptable levels of player power for an unsatisfactory amount of time.

The later being more battery focused.  But you're essentially juggling 4 seperate sources that drain your battery with the 3 sources that you can build battery.  But the ways to gain battery are fixed and thus force you into over casting to the point that you aren't gaining much if any benefit for being that cast heavy.  (the only hero with a comparable situation would be Baruuk.)

It's still fairly early into my play session with him so I can't realistically say where i'd want to improve him in regards to his battery.  I still completely back the idea of having a fixed time in which you can sit at 100% battery considering how strong not having to spend battery can potentially be and how strong 100% immunity from most sources of damage is.  And I still think that Gauss's resource management situation is better than Baruuks (if only because you actually gain more with it compared to Baruuk.)  But I can also sympathize with people when it comes to the annoyance of how restrictive building for him feels.

It's not in the traditional sense (for me anyway) where it's more direct.  But I can feel it in the gameplay.  I've never once felt limited in how to play a warframe even with these new waframes where a style is tailored for them.  But I do feel it with Gauss.  Sure, I can and do build for a nuker for tilesets and run an efficiency build over a high duration build for my non nuker setup in tilesets.  But I don't feel like the gameplay is changing too terribly much.  Gauss is incredibly fun for me though and i'll likely continue to play him long after his newness has worn off unlike Khora and Garuda (rip 2 frames I championed the heck out of but rarely use.)  I can only hope Grendel doesn't end up being as restrictive feeling.  (since I was far more interested in him than Gauss.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

As I see it there are really 2 main issues with Gauss according to the back and forth's i've had and from reading people's impressions:

1) His mod restrictions

2) His over redundancy

Both seem like small things but they spiral into a lot.  The former impacts his capability to be a team player with his cc without significantly impacting the other parts of his kit.  Which rolls into his whole battery mechanic.  Which instead of being something fun that you actively work towards to have a better and better performance/experience ends up feeling like a mandatory chore to maintain just so you can get a taste of what is considered acceptable levels of player power for an unsatisfactory amount of time.

The later being more battery focused.  But you're essentially juggling 4 seperate sources that drain your battery with the 3 sources that you can build battery.  But the ways to gain battery are fixed and thus force you into over casting to the point that you aren't gaining much if any benefit for being that cast heavy.  (the only hero with a comparable situation would be Baruuk.)

It's still fairly early into my play session with him so I can't realistically say where i'd want to improve him in regards to his battery.  I still completely back the idea of having a fixed time in which you can sit at 100% battery considering how strong not having to spend battery can potentially be and how strong 100% immunity from most sources of damage is.  And I still think that Gauss's resource management situation is better than Baruuks (if only because you actually gain more with it compared to Baruuk.)  But I can also sympathize with people when it comes to the annoyance of how restrictive building for him feels.

It's not in the traditional sense (for me anyway) where it's more direct.  But I can feel it in the gameplay.  I've never once felt limited in how to play a warframe even with these new waframes where a style is tailored for them.  But I do feel it with Gauss.  Sure, I can and do build for a nuker for tilesets and run an efficiency build over a high duration build for my non nuker setup in tilesets.  But I don't feel like the gameplay is changing too terribly much.  Gauss is incredibly fun for me though and i'll likely continue to play him long after his newness has worn off unlike Khora and Garuda (rip 2 frames I championed the heck out of but rarely use.)  I can only hope Grendel doesn't end up being as restrictive feeling.  (since I was far more interested in him than Gauss.)

His battery drain after passing Redline seems to decrease because at some point, I can build up the battery just by sprinting (not even with Mach Rush) and not casting anything. I don't understand how Redline drains... it's somehow more punishing if you're below the red line and almost non-existent at 30% above the red line.

As for mod restrictions... what do you mean? You can keep his 3 as a respectable CC while having large duration. You can also outright ignore his 3 and toss range mods, or you can mod specifically for his 3 (which is not fun IMO). I'm sure you can mod for his 1's Slash damage (which hits harder than I imagined).

Let's see... I currently employ this balanced build (all skills useful):

http://warframe-builder.com/s/5b26c055f2e46fb9

Even better one I will switch to: http://warframe-builder.com/s/147b9864fb237472

The speed mods help Gauss implicitly charge the battery faster through his normal movement (that and Corrosive Projection solo is really not that great... math confirms that). Although I don't have Adaptation yet. I use Quick Thinking instead (with reduced Vitality rank to support it).

EDIT: Here's an almost identical build with only 1 forma needed:

http://warframe-builder.com/s/f9f904c83ee95ee4

Edited by nslay

1 hour ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

1) His mod restrictions

2) His over redundancy

But you're essentially juggling 4 seperate sources that drain your battery with the 3 sources that you can build battery.  But the ways to gain battery are fixed and thus force you into over casting to the point that you aren't gaining much if any benefit for being that cast heavy.

I still completely back the idea of having a fixed time in which you can sit at 100% battery considering how strong not having to spend battery can potentially be and how strong 100% immunity from most sources of damage is. 

From my experience playing him, it seems like the redundancy is one of the biggest issues as you mentioned. Having all these abilities and sources that drain your battery can become nearly impossible to juggle mid game especially in high level missions. There have been many times in Sorties or Arbitrations where i have been incapable of keeping my battery charged while having his second ability active to keep me alive, i end up spending 95% of my play time struggling to spam 1 so that i can keep enough battery to stay alive and end up on shooting enemies once or twice between casts of my 1. 

There are too many sources of damage in high level missions for his second ability to remain reliable during gameplay, unless you find time to hide and charge your battery to 100% in peace, then you're still only left with half of your 4th abilities duration to actually play the game (assuming there are no enemies that are using damage other than physical, heat, cold). This issue could be fixed a number of ways, such as having the ability only drain battery passively and not from every hit you take, or even making it so that when you charge into a wall with his 1 (while his 2 is active) you gain 15-25% extra battery charge on top of the 10% mach rush already charges. As i see it, unless you find a safe place to charge to 100% his damage reduction is only useful to block one or 2 attacks and timing the ability to only block certain projectiles is extremely difficult.

As for the 100% damage reduction, if his 4th ability were to be recast-able like vex armor then the damage reduction cap could also be changed. If he were to cap out at 95-99% damage reduction but the ability is recast-able then he would maintain survivability so long as the player remembers to recast 4, although i can see how in lower level missions this could be considered overpowered even on planets like Sedna, however warframes like chroma and revenant are also practically immortal in star chart missions, however Gauss (in my opinion) has more potential to be more fun if he was given similar levels of consistent survivability.

(please continue to give feedback, im loving this thread)

Edited by SpaceGiraffe546
just added the very bottom text

Tbh after maxing guass forma 5x for diffrent build types I can safely say hes worthless I'd say it's fun to use him but that energy burn even with every eff mod and he still fizzles out his bs cc is worthless his red line looked soo cool on the stream but ya it's just a bore when you take in the fact his turns are trash iv got no idea why de thought hey let's add a mach runner to a game were 99% of the maps are enclosed and in the 1% were you can open up you non stop run into crap hes a idea that should have been shot down and come up with something way better 

47 minutes ago, nslay said:

His battery drain after passing Redline seems to decrease because at some point, I can build up the battery just by sprinting (not even with Mach Rush) and not casting anything. I don't understand how Redline drains... it's somehow more punishing if you're below the red line and almost non-existent at 30% above the red line.

Redline's drain is effected by battery level and the level of redline.  If you're consistently keeping the battery above redline the redline number ticks up faster and the drain to go out of redline is slower.

As for mod restrictions... what do you mean? You can keep his 3 as a respectable CC while having large duration. You can also outright ignore his 3 and toss range mods, or you can mod specifically for his 3 (which is not fun IMO). I'm sure you can mod for his 1's Slash damage (which hits harder than I imagined).

His battery is relatively unable to be modded and since his battery level determines performance of a lot of his kit it makes for a more restricted setup.  You also cannot really mod to increase Mach rush's peformance.  You can semi mod to move a little faster and you can semi mod to decrease the inital cast.  but because it's drain is heavily dictated on the distance you travel you end up burning about the same amount of energy anyway.  Similarly you're kinda forced into duration due to how much of his kit is effected by it.  You can't mod the energy conversion rate on his kinetic plating.  You can't mod how efficient your battery building sources are. etc.

Let's see... I currently employ this balanced build (all skills useful):

http://warframe-builder.com/s/5b26c055f2e46fb9

The speed mods help Gauss implicitly charge the battery faster through his normal movement (that and Corrosive Projection solo is really not that great... math confirms that). Although I don't have Adaptation yet. I use Quick Thinking instead (with reduced Vitality rank to support it).

EDIT: Here's an almost identical build with only 1 forma needed:

http://warframe-builder.com/s/f9f904c83ee95ee4

Yes and no.  Him moving faster means more distance traveled which means more battery gained.  But that doesn't mean you're directly building battery faster.  If that were the case then simply doing the hold cast of mach rush would yield higher battery gain results than it currently does.

52 minutes ago, SpaceGiraffe546 said:

From my experience playing him, it seems like the redundancy is one of the biggest issues as you mentioned. Having all these abilities and sources that drain your battery can become nearly impossible to juggle mid game especially in high level missions. There have been many times in Sorties or Arbitrations where i have been incapable of keeping my battery charged while having his second ability active to keep me alive, i end up spending 95% of my play time struggling to spam 1 so that i can keep enough battery to stay alive and end up on shooting enemies once or twice between casts of my 1. 

I have seen the suggestion for removing drain based on being hit with kinetic plating.  The problem is merely sprinting is capable of counteracting the drain on the ability regardless of battery level.  Meaning it would be fairly easy to maintain that high DR.  I'd imagine DE would have to increase the drain in order to compensate.  I think they would be more likely to remove the passive drain if they were to remove one or the other.

There are too many sources of damage in high level missions for his second ability to remain reliable during gameplay, unless you find time to hide and charge your battery to 100% in peace, then you're still only left with half of your 4th abilities duration to actually play the game (assuming there are no enemies that are using damage other than physical, heat, cold). This issue could be fixed a number of ways, such as having the ability only drain battery passively and not from every hit you take, or even making it so that when you charge into a wall with his 1 (while his 2 is active) you gain 15-25% extra battery charge on top of the 10% mach rush already charges. As i see it, unless you find a safe place to charge to 100% his damage reduction is only useful to block one or 2 attacks and timing the ability to only block certain projectiles is extremely difficult.

Currently your best bet survivability wise is really using rage/hunter adrenaline with adaptation.  You switch plating on to gain energy with the combination of mod and the built in energy conversion.  While you're being shot you're building stacks with adaptation.  When you have enough energy you switch off plating and the stacks of adaptation should largely carry you while you move about and cc.  Only really turning on plating when you need more energy or you plan on stopping in order to do something you can't do on the move.

I think the right avenue to explore would be instead of removing drain sources (simply because I don't see DE doing this) simply expand on the sources that give battery.  Allow Gauss to gain more energy with mach rush/thermal sunder dependent on amount of enemies effected as an example.  Or simply allow us to mod how efficient our battery gain can be.  Or hell they could have "battery forgiveness" built in where if you've done something to upkeep the battery or just spent some battery there's a slight pause before you can lose more again.

As for the 100% damage reduction, if his 4th ability were to be recast-able like vex armor then the damage reduction cap could also be changed. If he were to cap out at 95-99% damage reduction but the ability is recast-able then he would maintain survivability so long as the player remembers to recast 4, although i can see how in lower level missions this could be considered overpowered even on planets like Sedna, however warframes like chroma and revenant are also practically immortal in star chart missions, however Gauss (in my opinion) has more potential to be more fun if he was given similar levels of consistent survivability.

(please continue to give feedback, im loving this thread)

I'm personally not a fan of the recasting idea to keep Gauss at peak performance.  I enjoy actively engaging with keeping my battery up.  I just think it needs some tweaking.  Pipe dream wise I think it would be cool to have multiple levels of overdrive attached to his redline ability.  So you build the battery a few times but you get better and better and better.  But I'd imagine this wouldn't really work out gameplay wise as you'd probably struggle to make this work well without asking someone to spend more time in a mission than they'd need to.  There might be a way to finesse the idea but i'm not really creative.

20 minutes ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

Yes and no.  Him moving faster means more distance traveled which means more battery gained.  But that doesn't mean you're directly building battery faster.  If that were the case then simply doing the hold cast of mach rush would yield higher battery gain results than it currently does.

You traveling a larger distance in a fixed amount of time than compared to not using speed mods literally means charging the battery faster. His passive states that every 1.85m you travel, you gain 1% battery.  Heeding DE's hint with the Exilus Naramon polarity (i.e. use Rush) is probably why I don't share many of the battery complaints people have here.

21 minutes ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

I have seen the suggestion for removing drain based on being hit with kinetic plating.  The problem is merely sprinting is capable of counteracting the drain on the ability regardless of battery level.  Meaning it would be fairly easy to maintain that high DR.  I'd imagine DE would have to increase the drain in order to compensate.  I think they would be more likely to remove the passive drain if they were to remove one or the other.

Currently your best bet survivability wise is really using rage/hunter adrenaline with adaptation.  You switch plating on to gain energy with the combination of mod and the built in energy conversion.  While you're being shot you're building stacks with adaptation.  When you have enough energy you switch off plating and the stacks of adaptation should largely carry you while you move about and cc.  Only really turning on plating when you need more energy or you plan on stopping in order to do something you can't do on the move.

I think the right avenue to explore would be instead of removing drain sources (simply because I don't see DE doing this) simply expand on the sources that give battery.  Allow Gauss to gain more energy with mach rush/thermal sunder dependent on amount of enemies effected as an example.  Or simply allow us to mod how efficient our battery gain can be.  Or hell they could have "battery forgiveness" built in where if you've done something to upkeep the battery or just spent some battery there's a slight pause before you can lose more again.

I'm personally not a fan of the recasting idea to keep Gauss at peak performance.  I enjoy actively engaging with keeping my battery up.  I just think it needs some tweaking.  Pipe dream wise I think it would be cool to have multiple levels of overdrive attached to his redline ability.  So you build the battery a few times but you get better and better and better.  But I'd imagine this wouldn't really work out gameplay wise as you'd probably struggle to make this work well without asking someone to spend more time in a mission than they'd need to.  There might be a way to finesse the idea but i'm not really creative.

You make a lot of good points and i agree that simply adding more sources of gaining battery could greatly help the situation and allowing mods to affect battery drain could help even more. My main focus as of right now is his survivability, i hate to think that an ability is so easily overshadowed by mods that basically do the same thing. His kinetic plating could be improved to a point of greatness if the previously mentioned battery efficiency changes were added. I also love your idea on "battery forgiveness", I think having even a 1 second period after losing battery where you cannot lose it (unless maybe you use the fire variant of his 3rd ability) could solve the main issue with Gauss's Kinetic Plating and would put it more on par with other warframes damage reduction without feeling like a copy.

As for his 4th ability, having really high ability duration seems to be the most popular build (and most fun IMO), but having to wait normally over half of your 4th abilities duration to hit 100% makes the ability feel slower the more duration you have, which I believe goes against the entire theme of the warframe. I have no problems with keeping the time limit, however if it were to be given a change where the redline percentage charge time doesn't change based on ability duration and can hit 100% in something like 15-20 seconds with max battery. Or maybe if it were made so that any kinetic energy accrued while the battery is at 100% (the battery bar, not the redline % counter) is transformed into a certain percentage for the counter to allow for a way to more directly control how fast the ability is charged. As an example if you had the battery bar at full completely full with redline active and were at 20% charge, then you used mach rush to headslam a wall and it gave you an extra 5% charge or more based on the number of enemies you damage with the ability (similar to one of your suggestions).

Overall, Gauss feels like he's very close to being a fun frame to play with very few drawbacks, but hes not quite there. It's his first few weeks after his release so i'm not surprised there are things that need improved. If anyone has thought of another, maybe better, way to alter the way his abilities work so that he can feel more consistently powerful and fast, Im very interested in hearing others thoughts.

Aye still posting feedbacks? DE has shown they dont care for fixing Gauss after almost 3 weeks of nothing. No comment from devs on whether they are even working on anything. Its not just gauss. That goes for ember, hildryn, nyx, etc. Qol changes are too much for them. Dont bother posting. They arent listening.

28 minutes ago, pisces13 said:

Aye still posting feedbacks? DE has shown they dont care for fixing Gauss after almost 3 weeks of nothing. No comment from devs on whether they are even working on anything. Its not just gauss. That goes for ember, hildryn, nyx, etc. Qol changes are too much for them. Dont bother posting. They arent listening.

Nothing will get done if we dont voice our opinions somewhere, we might as well try our hardest to get through to them.

1 hour ago, pisces13 said:

Ember is very likely going to be reworked after Vauban. Hildryns in a decent place so she doesn’t need immediate addressing. Nyx’s rework was bad and only helped show everyone just how bad of a place she is in so that reworks probably a ways off. Couple all that with both anew War and Railjack being worked on. They have a lot on their plate. 

Regardless this is the feedback page for the newest released frame and there are a couple issues that could be ironed out. And those should’ve been addressed instead of focusing on the Shawzin. So you have a point, but you’re making it in the worst way possible.

6 hours ago, nslay said:

You traveling a larger distance in a fixed amount of time than compared to not using speed mods literally means charging the battery faster. His passive states that every 1.85m you travel, you gain 1% battery.  Heeding DE's hint with the Exilus Naramon polarity (i.e. use Rush) is probably why I don't share many of the battery complaints people have here.

I currently have only tried with an aura sprint mod.  I could try that in combination with a sprint speed mod or making my Aura more effective.  Though I already struggle to accurately keep him moving in tilesets with just the aura mod.

6 hours ago, SpaceGiraffe546 said:

You make a lot of good points and i agree that simply adding more sources of gaining battery could greatly help the situation and allowing mods to affect battery drain could help even more. My main focus as of right now is his survivability, i hate to think that an ability is so easily overshadowed by mods that basically do the same thing. His kinetic plating could be improved to a point of greatness if the previously mentioned battery efficiency changes were added. I also love your idea on "battery forgiveness", I think having even a 1 second period after losing battery where you cannot lose it (unless maybe you use the fire variant of his 3rd ability) could solve the main issue with Gauss's Kinetic Plating and would put it more on par with other warframes damage reduction without feeling like a copy.

It's less like adaptation replaces kinetic plating and more like it makes up for it's shortcomings.  Kinetic plating is still much better in terms of protection but the way battery is right now trying to keep his plating active while keeping a high battery is pretty difficult.  At least on tileset missions.  I'm glad you think my suggestions would be nice additions though.

As for his 4th ability, having really high ability duration seems to be the most popular build (and most fun IMO), but having to wait normally over half of your 4th abilities duration to hit 100% makes the ability feel slower the more duration you have, which I believe goes against the entire theme of the warframe. I have no problems with keeping the time limit, however if it were to be given a change where the redline percentage charge time doesn't change based on ability duration and can hit 100% in something like 15-20 seconds with max battery. Or maybe if it were made so that any kinetic energy accrued while the battery is at 100% (the battery bar, not the redline % counter) is transformed into a certain percentage for the counter to allow for a way to more directly control how fast the ability is charged. As an example if you had the battery bar at full completely full with redline active and were at 20% charge, then you used mach rush to headslam a wall and it gave you an extra 5% charge or more based on the number of enemies you damage with the ability (similar to one of your suggestions).

I agree that it doesn't feel great to see the meter slowly go up because you tried to maximize his kit.  And I wouldn't be against making some method to reach 100% faster.  I just don't want someone to be able to sit at 100% full battery with 40+ seconds duration time.  Simply because I feel like that would cheapen the battery mechanic and building it as a whole.  Not to mention I am fond of the idea of working my way to a very nice effect and having to constantly earn said things by playing well. 

Overall, Gauss feels like he's very close to being a fun frame to play with very few drawbacks, but hes not quite there. It's his first few weeks after his release so i'm not surprised there are things that need improved. If anyone has thought of another, maybe better, way to alter the way his abilities work so that he can feel more consistently powerful and fast, Im very interested in hearing others thoughts.

I am more excited about the sort of ideas people will throw around for augments for him.  

1 hour ago, pisces13 said:

Considering DE is literally known for not keeping up with things and always biting off far more than they can actually handle it's no surprise that Gauss has yet to receive any changes.  We're still waiting on the rest of the melee update.  Railjack is supposed to be soon.  And as far as I know new war is still slated for this year.  (not to mention they're still heavily working on the new player experience.  whatever that means.)  Sometimes DE is on top of frame reworks/new frames.  Sometimes they're not.  There really isn't any rime or reason to how DE chooses to allocate time and resources.

It's all fine and dandy to expect better of DE and to keep on them to an extent.  But you also need to make compromises and learn to deal with DE on things.  If you truly believe what you posted then perhaps you need a break from the game.

18 minutes ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

I currently have only tried with an aura sprint mod.  I could try that in combination with a sprint speed mod or making my Aura more effective.  Though I already struggle to accurately keep him moving in tilesets with just the aura mod.

Once I get over some arbitrary hurdle in Redline (something like 20-30% over red line), I can reach 100% by just sprinting. Believe it or not. I bet it's even easier if you equip Armored Agility, Amalgam Serration (which I equip on everything regardless) and Kogake Prime (gives a small 5% boost)... though these are mostly only small boosts.

You know what really messes me up? Aiming and/or shooting while trying to charge the battery. It seems like something like a 50% slow-down from shooting and/or aiming (I don't know how you would measure it)! It's really bad for Gauss' passive and for Redline (it's an anti-synergy). DE needs to either add immunity to slow-downs from aiming and/or shooting or, as another poster suggested, give you a speed bonus while aiming.

EDIT: Just to elaborate... I think the default behavior of shooting/aiming incurring a slow-down is an anti-synergy with Redline because you're buffing the weapon so that you can shoot it faster, but you're also expected to charge the battery at the same time by continuously moving and/or casting 1 or 3. Since 1 or 3 are more situational, you should be charging the battery by running and gunning... right? But if you are shooting your weapon, and it really is something like a 50% decrease in speed to aim/shoot, then you are now charging the battery at half the rate.

Edited by nslay
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Ok right now my biggest problem with Gauss is that I feel punished for slowing down to melee enemies while Redline and Kinetic plating are active as it allows my battery to drain rather quickly. Perhaps giving battery charge per enemy hit with a melee can make it feel more rewarding and still keep it balanced.

Yikes! That's actually even more serious than the slow down from shooting/aiming. I absolutely agree that melee attacks should be made to charge the battery too...especially when Redline gives melee a bonus!

So I finally got Gauss to maxed rank with orokin reactor on him. He's great to play with but he isn't without flaw. Here are the following gripes I have with him.

Kinetic Plating

A pretty good damage reduction but in some use cases, the energy production is insufficient since this frame in the game's lore to be too fast to be hit which dodging incoming damage becomes detrimental if you want to keep energy up. I understand the worry about this having a better energy conversion rate and pairing this with quick thinking would make someone invincible, it already has been done with arcane guardian at 0% battery charge.

My proposal to this is that the higher the battery charge, the bigger the energy conversion which gives players incentive to keep the battery level up for the most efficient energy conversion. Let's say that the energy conversion is 5%-25% and that's from 0 to 100 percent battery charge. Players still can't AFK because that would cause the damage reduction and energy conversion of the ability to drop. This would also alleviate the fact that Gauss is suppose to avoid damage in the first place with his blinding speed.

Thermal Sunder

I found this ability surprisingly useful IF you build towards it. With how it is, its range feels like catching flies with a piece of scotch tape. The range is quite small. I woudn't mind if your cast to this ability would be limited to 3 instances at a time as long as its range is good because Gauss is a very energy hungry frame. This ability's energy cost is nothing to sneeze at either.

DE, please increase this ability's base range to 20m at cast and shrinks down to 12m. It would be decent at least if the build isn't modded for range.

Redline

I didn't have trouble with redline at first because I was in a team when I was leveling up but in solo, it's too punishing. I would have no trouble building up redline if I had a team because I didn't have to worry about an objective. I have to juggle between getting redline up, staying alive, energy and the objective such as defense and most often than not, redline bites the dust. In much higher levels, I have to have kinetic plating up so I really can't have redline draining my battery too so there's a reason not to use it.

It takes too long to get redline to the 100% mark regardless of the duration. Once it gets to a 100% mark, there's just enough duration to take advantage of the buffs at all. Sure, kinetic plating would make you invulnerable but only to certain damage types which would still make the player be careful around enemies that does damage types especially against corpus and infested. Even grineer have ways to get around the invulnerability.

In the wiki, it says that redline can't be maxed out earlier than 2/3 of the ability's duration which is a pretty high bar to meet. Please reduce this charge time to 1/3 at least. This ability feels like more like a detriment to Gauss despite all the buffs it brings. I hardly use it now.

• Like 1

So is something gonna happen with Gauss or he is gonna already go in the bin without the fixes he need ? We are almost 3 full weeks after his release and his only real change was to not let the battery go down while reviving which was a joke when there is a lot of feedback going in the same direction (his energy efficiency is lacking even with super high efficiency build, 3 armor stripping should scale better and have better base range, Kinetic Plating not draining battery unless hit, etc )

Edited by MunsuLight

I'm having a good time with Gauss though I'm still adjusting to managing his battery. Battery is only difficult to keep up when in Redline; outside of Redline all I have to do is sprint for 5 to 10 seconds and it's at 80%, easy. I agree with a few criticisms in this thread, though.

1. His noble animation is really bad. It loops too soon, it's a very obvious loop, and his hopping around is really annoying. I use noble animations on everything except Gauss because ironically his agile animation is the one where he sits still.

2. He is very energy-hungry, you could call him a gas guzzler since he feels so much like a car. It feels like a lot of the time I have no energy and am incapable of doing anything, which applies to all warframes of course but it feels extra rough with Gauss. Mach Rush draining energy based on distance means that if I'm not very careful I can accidentally use up all my energy simply by going too fast. For an ability designed to be cast multiple times in a row, Thermal Sunder being 50 energy is not easy to work with, especially since its not very big and has a shrinking radius. Same goes for Kinetic Plating, whose damage conversion to energy doesn't really help.

3. Speaking of Kinetic Plating, having both a constant battery drain and further battery drain on taking damage does seem to be a little too much to deal with. I understand the damage resistance is supposed to dwindle in time so you can't just stand there and tank everything, but I feel like having both drains on the battery hurts its utility. The drain is negligible out of Redline but in Redline everything becomes a lot harder to manage.

4. Thermal Sunder's Heat version doesn't seem useful. It takes the same amount of energy, it drains battery, but does the same amount of damage as the Cold version, and Heat procs aren't really that good. The Blast having armor strip on Redline is cool, but it would be nice if the normal version also had it, maybe a reduced 25% armor strip?

5. Kinetic Plating boosts melee damage while in Redline, but standing still to melee enemies in Redline will drain the battery too much. Definitely a hindrance.

6. As others have stated, Redline is all about moving and shooting, but shooting slows Gauss down, which hurts his battery in Redline, which is even worse than the melee example above.

I agree tweaks would be great, but overall Gauss has proven to be very fun to play, though I do need to learn him better and how to keep both his battery and his energy high because it feels like it's a choice between one or the other; do you want full energy or full battery? If I can have both, I haven't really figured out how.

On a side note, I have wondered if his passive could use a buff. Would "sprinting decreases shield recharge delay" be too much? I like the faster shield recharge but it's a little hard to use when it's cancelled by even the smallest ping of damage.

Edited by (NSW)ToadBlue

I’ve been playing Gauss nearly nonstop since release. He’s Rhino but fast and Volt but tankier, so I’m very happy with how he’s turned out. 

One issue - he’s power hungry by nature and teammates “helping” exacerbates this. Harrow’s DR applied to Gauss or Mesa killing every enemy in the room or any CC that makes enemies stop shooting means Gauss can’t generate energy. He’s actually stronger in solo play because of this.

My proposed solution - give his Mach Rush a Guardian Derision effect while Kinetic Plating is active.

- This will let Gauss draw aggro and get the damage he needs to thrive, letting him be as strong in a team as he already is solo.

- This also lets him fill the traditional role of a tank by drawing enemy fire away from squishier casters. It benefits them to take less damage and it benefits him to take more.

- This also fits his theming and lore. He’s a shining blur that rockets through enemy lines, and that should draw their attention. (Put another way - the shiny red sports car is always the one to get pulled over by highway patrol, even if it wasn’t the fastest car on the road.) And in the Leverian it sounds as though that’s more or less exactly how the Battle of Altra played out. It also fits in with how reviving teammates charges his battery: making himself vulnerable makes him stronger, but not in a kinky way like Harrow.

- His kit already has so many interactions between abilities, and Guardian Derision already exists, so this would be a simple change with a great payoff in his gameplay.

- Having this effect only active when both 1 and 2 are active means you won’t draw fire when you don’t have the means to covert that damage into energy. Having it always apply to his 1 would mean retreating to a safe place becomes more dangerous than standing still if you don’t have plating active.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, (NSW)ToadBlue said:

Upon further play  I've noticed that with full-rank Sprint Boost, Rush, and Armored Agility on Gauss, simply sprinting normally is enough to keep his battery charging up while in Redline.

but not when you have kinetic plating and sadly the bar doesn't have a grace period so as soon as you start killing things its going to quickly fall back down.

• Like 2