Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(PC) Gauss / Signature Weapons Feedback

[DE]Danielle

6 minutes ago, GreyEnneract said:

So after all this time, was there a reason for this thread to exist when no changes were made?
Even changes of those I disagreed with weren't implemented, there's just literally nothing.

Heyo buddy, dont forget the amazing change of “battery builds while reviving allies”, we must thank out DE overlords for their graciousness /s

3 hours ago, GreyEnneract said:

So after all this time, was there a reason for this thread to exist when no changes were made?
Even changes of those I disagreed with weren't implemented, there's just literally nothing.

Yeah it’s infuriating to have this frame that’s so close to perfection and just have that potential squandered week after week.

4 hours ago, GreyEnneract said:

To be honest, feedback has varied so wildly within this thread, barely anyone can agree on what would improve Gauss, I can't really blame DE for taking the easy option of doing nothing. I was worried that any changes they make would be too knee-jerky and would hurt more than help. I'd prefer if they took another month or even two to really think things through before they start tweaking anything.

48 minutes ago, (NSW)ToadBlue said:

To be honest, feedback has varied so wildly within this thread, barely anyone can agree on what would improve Gauss, I can't really blame DE for taking the easy option of doing nothing. I was worried that any changes they make would be too knee-jerky and would hurt more than help. I'd prefer if they took another month or even two to really think things through before they start tweaking anything.

Another month? Yeah right he wont be seeing any changes for 2 years

48 minutes ago, (NSW)ToadBlue said:

Usually I'd agree, but I've been here a very long time.
Past the first ~3 weeks of release or a rework, frames are shelved for at least 8 months before major changes are made again.
With the average being over a year since there are so many frames and things being worked on.
Their ambition is larger than their manpower can allow unfortunately, so guess Gauss will stay DOA this time.
From current statements it sounds like they've already moved on to the Ember and Vauban rework implementation phases.

7 hours ago, (NSW)ToadBlue said:

That's not true 

Most of the complaints are about his battery efficiency and his inability to scale his speed more 

It's crystal clear

DE just don't have time or they don't care 

Or both 

I think now the best potential changes that could come to gauss are his augments 

8 hours ago, (NSW)ToadBlue said:

So it's the players fault we haven't even seen any basic changes? Base stats increase? Better efficiency? These can be done without changing anything major.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

I think now the best potential changes that could come to gauss are his augments 

People including myself have spent alot of time with Gauss so as to provide good feedback to improve him. The length of this thread is testament to that. If DE comes out with augments without first addressing the actual flaws it would be a slap in the face to many. Not to mention sacrificing mod slots for changes that should be done directly to the ability first. Don't get me wrong. I'm not accusing DE of anything. I'm actually hopeful that they are looking into Gauss and going through this thread. I think people are just concerned that nothing concrete has happened after all this time. 

46 minutes ago, Azrael_V said:

So it's the players fault we haven't even seen any basic changes? Base stats increase? Better efficiency? These can be done without changing anything major.

People including myself have spent alot of time with Gauss so as to provide good feedback to improve him. The length of this thread is testament to that. If DE comes out with augments without first addressing the actual flaws it would be a slap in the face to many. Not to mention sacrificing mod slots for changes that should be done directly to the ability first. Don't get me wrong. I'm not accusing DE of anything. I'm actually hopeful that they are looking into Gauss and going through this thread. I think people are just concerned that nothing concrete has happened after all this time. 

I've seen worse 

The melee 3.0 thread is as dead as a decomposing corpse

Myabe their concept of feedback only means cosmetics and/or bugs

But whether or not we should tweak this warframe...they don't think much of it sadly

46 minutes ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

I've seen worse 

The melee 3.0 thread is as dead as a decomposing corpse

Myabe their concept of feedback only means cosmetics and/or bugs

But whether or not we should tweak this warframe...they don't think much of it sadly

Yeah. I guess we'll see how it all unfolds. DE might just be focusing on Atlas Prime and his goodies. I think we're due another Riven Pass as well. It will probably coincide with the Atlas Prime release. That's gonna be fun.

Edited by Azrael_V

8 hours ago, Azrael_V said:

Yeah. I guess we'll see how it all unfolds. DE might just be focusing on Atlas Prime and his goodies. I think we're due another Riven Pass as well. It will probably coincide with the Atlas Prime release. That's gonna be fun.

Tbh the more i play him the more i manage to control his battery

And most of the time i don't use the battery, only against bosses or oh crap situations 

I'm still pissed that he can't scale his speed on his own but he can be the fastest non teleporting thing on the ground and air with outside buffs

I guess DE just wanted us too take some time with this character

Hell i thought he was mediocre at first, but now i main only him

1 hour ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

Tbh the more i play him the more i manage to control his battery

And most of the time i don't use the battery, only against bosses or oh crap situations 

I'm still pissed that he can't scale his speed on his own but he can be the fastest non teleporting thing on the ground and air with outside buffs

I guess DE just wanted us too take some time with this character

Hell i thought he was mediocre at first, but now i main only him

Well earlier I took him on a solo T4 survival on Eris. Went about 9 rounds but my controller batteries were flat so I had to extract. The issue I had was not being able to get 100% Redline especially with KP active. Its nigh impossible while trying to kill things and trying to stay alive. In any case I just stopped trying and used Redline's normal buffs as they are. Thermal Sunder needs attention. Mach Rush is the most fun I've had in a while; especially when you end up in a tight spot and blast through everyone. Overall I enjoy playing him despite my frustrations.

Edited by Azrael_V

Gauss is really fun, and I haven't even finished putting forma into him. I'm really enjoying what you guys brought with him.

The only thing I'm having difficulty with so far, is just maneuvering correctly in small spaces. It's probably just an adjustment/acclimation thing, since I just recently got him.

I appreciate the work you guys do.

I tested the Buffs in a Sortie and Simulacrum against lvl 155s. They made his Buffs less tedious to reach 100% for Redline in shorter Tilesets. Now he got more use to spam all his Abilities while not being too punished from Redline which i like.

I think the changed are great but there's still no speed buff for Mach Rush which is disappointing. I think I'll just stop playing till either Railjack comes out or they add a way to really increase the speed of Mach Rush.

31 minutes ago, Raqiya said:

I think the changed are great but there's still no speed buff for Mach Rush which is disappointing. I think I'll just stop playing till either Railjack comes out or they add a way to really increase the speed of Mach Rush.

That's all I really wanted but they didn't deliver. Archeage unchained where you at tho.

2 hours ago, Raqiya said:

Considering the fact that Gauss buffed by Volt and Wisp is literally impossible to steer, giving Mach rush even more speed may not be the best of ideas. Also Redline gives a small boost of speed to Mach rush already.

3 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Considering the fact that Gauss buffed by Volt and Wisp is literally impossible to steer, giving Mach rush even more speed may not be the best of ideas. Also Redline gives a small boost of speed to Mach rush already.

Technically, Redline reduces the energy cost of Mach Rush by half. You're not moving faster over a given distance, you're just spending less energy to get there.

I think it would be okay if Mach Rush built up speed over time, because that's mostly only going to apply on straightaways. Sometimes you get lucky on indoor maps and can run from room to room to room with minor if any adjustments, but it's more likely that you'll hit something and have to reset your position. Acceleration over time (possibly in discrete steps, e.g. with "gears" like a race car) would be much more noticeable in the open-world maps where you can run for kilometer after kilometer.

As-is, a Gauss built for maximum personal speed (i.e. with all the sprint speed mods) will be slower than an afterburning Archwing even before the Itzal's blink, and that's without considering that Gauss has to navigate terrain. You need significant buffs before you can outrun an Archwing, which just won't happen unless you have people on your squad able and willing to help you with that. I don't consider this a flaw, because even if my Gauss is a bit slow to get to bounty objectives, he's a hell of a lot more stylish.

For a frame based on moving and moving fast, Gauss lacks the ability to do much damage while moving especially at higher levels. This is exaggerated even more so by his "signature" weapons which the more I play with the more I realize just how ill suited Gauss is to them and it would make no sense for him to use them.

Both Akarius and Acceltra are explosive weapons that are capable of self damage, DE has gotten around this (sort of) by setting a minimum range of explosion. the issue is that with a fast frame (or any normal frame bullet jumping or falling) you can actually catch up to the explosion and 'one shot' kill yourself (see attached reddit post as an example). Now arguments against this are:

- you should watch where you're running

- just turn away 

- don't run towards where you fired

this is all true however, 90% of warframes tile-sets are hallways or restrictive areas that limit moving through the map when trying to move towards an objective at speed, also enemy spawns tend to be in hallways and pinch points so often you will be moving towards the direction you are firing in order to maintain momentum (which is gauss' whole skillset really). so to avoid self damage with these weapons you really have to limit your speed, direction, and movement in many situations which is completely counter intuitive to a frame who is all about movement, speed and getting up close and personal (expecially when the damage of acceltra and akarius is severally crippled at close range). Not to mentions their incredibly low ammo pool makes it so that you will have to back track or run around in circles to ensure you pick up the ammo drops from enemies you just blew up further slowing you down. It would make more sense for gauss signature weapons to be close range wide angle damage like a shotgun for example so he can sprint into the fray, blast a horde to the face and keep going. here are some suggestions (they are just suggestions!!!) to improve them:

- remove self damage and minimum explosion range or get rid of explosive aspect entirely and redesign projectiles to suite (wide angle energy blasts for Acceltra or high innate piercing seekers for akarius - remove explosions entirely and improve seeking for multiple enemies per bullet so it can still clear hords)

And that's really it, either way I think something has to change. Sadly the more I played with Akarius and Acceltra the more it seemed that DE were only one dimensional in their thinking when it came to designing these weapons for Gauss, "hey, let's make them reload faster when you run faster" and that's it.

The Acceltra and the Akarius are some of the strongest weapons in the game right now, judging by their damage output. For the former, its high crit chance and AoE nature combined with Viral procs and Hunter Munitions make it superb for both mowing down crowds and whittling down tough single targets. For the latter, its innate homing makes Magnum Force an appealing option while enabling accurate fire from the hip, and it can pack high raw damage and status chance when modded accordingly. Both weapons have their high DPS balanced by a small ammo reserve. It simply wouldn't be "fair" for the weapons to have as much damage as they do if they also had the same ammo reserves as other weapons - they would be strictly better. Slotting an ammo mutator or Ammo Box for the Carrier is a small price to pay for the killing power these weapons have.

I have had very few negative experiences when using either weapon with Gauss. The most common scenarios where the self-damage becomes a concern, in my experience, are when he's falling toward his target and when he Mach Rushes in the direction of aim. When aiming at a strong downward angle (e.g. 45 degrees from the horizontal), it's not difficult to fall into the explosions. Mach Rushing similarly pushes you past the safety threshold, especially because Mach Rush heads towards the point of aim by default. Both of these problems are easy to avoid in practice, or with practice, I should say.

The key for me is that Gauss can't shoot his weapons during Mach Rush, so I as a player mentally dedicate Mach Rush as a tool to be used separately from his guns. To put it another way, I see the Acceltra and Akarius as hit-and-run/drive-by shooting tools; I drop from Mach Rush to a plain sprint, shoot the enemies, then continue on my way. The Acceltra doesn't home, but its rapid fire and AoE make it so that accuracy isn't that important - spraying and praying from the hip works just fine. That makes it easy to work in the reload speed passive, since Gauss will return to sprinting the moment he stops firing (I use the sprint toggle so I don't have to hold Shift).

In short, I think these weapons are fine the way they are. Could they have gone for a close-range weapon? Yes. That would just shift Gauss' "natural" playstyle from drive-by shooting to stopping in a mob to shoot the enemies in the face. I prefer the current loadout because it allows Gauss to engage distant enemies, and he has no issues creating that space.

3 minutes ago, (NSW)ToadBlue said:

Having read the Gauss tweaks and buffs, I'd like to say that I am greatly looking forward to seeing them on consoles soon. I just hope his idle anims get updated someday too, I'd say they're the weakest element of his design now.

How so? I personally favor the Agile animation because the Noble one is just too jumpy for me. Having Gauss take a "running man" pose as his idle seems perfectly in-theme.