Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Has The Warframe Alignment Morality Meter Been Completely Forgotten?

VotumPrime

19 minutes ago, AuroraSonicBoom said:

Here you can hear him talk about that.

I recall the devstream, sorta fun about how much time passed before the Karma quests came into place and then, also about DE Scott talking about how many of us have, about Elites being introduced more as difficulty increases per levels more than just raw endless stat leveling as has continued. Appreciate the link though to refresh, its nice seeing the enthusiasm back then versus now.

• Like 1

They have mostly shelved that concept for now. Morality systems are, in general, lame. I mean, the only one I sort of liked was in ME: Andromeda, every other game locks choices behind some arbitrary requirement resulting at times a situation where the game basically says: "You have to be THIS much of an a-hole to not be a complete idiot." 

The only gameplay impact such systems would have if done right is how people around you treat you. In WF's case if you are to one side, people are warm and treat you like one of them and if you are the other they treat you with more respect and reverence but they are colder and more distant. On one end, you are "one of the boys" and in the other you are more like royalty. 

remember the infested chair and the bed in the infirmary? yeah, those are forgotten too...i think in a recent devstream when they asked about the chair, they admitted they forgot about it XD, so yeah, DE staff is just doing stuff on the fly, if they forget something then expect them to remember possible YEARS after XD

19 minutes ago, Urlan said:

I recall the devstream, sorta fun about how much time passed before the Karma quests came into place and then, also about DE Scott talking about how many of us have, about Elites being introduced more as difficulty increases per levels more than just raw endless stat leveling as has continued. Appreciate the link though to refresh, its nice seeing the enthusiasm back then versus now.

Heh, you might also enjoy this, then.

I would love it if DE implemented a game mode associated with morality.  But not necessarily a game mode, maybe just specific tasks to complete that are based on your morality.  I would hope that the mission itself would be available to everyone.  I Don't want match making to separate people.  But you could get different rewards or progression.  Maybe some cosmetics or decorations, but not weapons or mods.  It could be similar to syndicates?  Just spitballing here.

9 hours ago, Oreades said:

Honestly speaking I have grown to hate player choice/morality systems in games because I can't recall a developer/game that actually pulled if off with anything more than lip service. 

At the end of the day Player choice/morality systems could matter but that would be expensive and that's the reason that complicated "player choice" systems usually result in choosing the color of your lasers in the last 5min of the game. I kinda wish developers would stop trying to pull it off. 

For me, Good vs Bad only seems to work when it’s less of a game system and more about narrative choices. Games like The Witcher or Walking Dead season One did a good job of it.

12 hours ago, NoSpax said:

1. make it a gore multiplier. The more black, the more gore and intestines fly across your screen. With blood drops on the HUD.

2. Kiddo man comes more frequently for a visit in the white range.

3. Different responses to that particular Tenno by the Kavor, depending if you are good or evil. 

• Good: Somehow happy to see the Tenno, can boost morale of Kavor
  • Slight Good: a bit happy
  • Neutral: as it is right now
  • Slightly bad: Shaken
  • Bad: Horrified of that Tenno, lessens morale. May have trouble sending them to the next spot, because unable to move.

The alignment isn't really supposed to be good vs. evil. Both have their positive and negative traits.

White = kind and passionate, but prone to vindictiveness and emotional outbursts

Black = pragmatic and wise, but can be cold and cynical at times

Edited by Guest

13 hours ago, VotumPrime said:

latest?cb=20181119165631

I really hope Steve puts it to good use this coming update so that we find out exactly what this thing is really for and how it is relevant.

But what uses do you guys think this will have?

I was somewhat over expecting would turn out like this from 'Secret World Legends'

https://wiki.crygaia.org/view/Ultimate_abilities

Its about choosing  (sides or something) and its a bummer that it was relevant of what you're going to get afterwards (not to mention the span of the story) based from your choice and of how significant it is from our 'morale meter', its very much not so distant... 

Edited by FerockQuartz

13 minutes ago, Pr1A said:

The alignment isn't really supposed to be good vs. evil. Both have their positive and negative traits.

White = kind and passionate, but prone to vindictiveness and emotional outbursts

Black = pragmatic and wise, but can be cold and cynical at times

I dunno about that. From what I remember of The War Within, the "spare queen" option was white, "kill queen yourself" was neutral and "get Teshin to kill the queen" was black.

As far as I see it, the "go forth and sheath your sword in their blood" option is the right one from all aspects: pragmatic (kill queen = weaken the grineer power structure = damage their oppressive system; this also prevents her from trying to attack you like this again), kind (they've been oppressing your mentor figure for centuries, he must have been burning for a chance at revenge) and personally satisfying (how dare you try to mind control me, this death isn't anywhere near as painful as you deserve).

Likewise, the "let the queen live" option is the most braindead stupid one of the lot for all the above reasons.

13 hours ago, Oreades said:

Honestly speaking I have grown to hate player choice/morality systems in games because I can't recall a developer/game that actually pulled if off with anything more than lip service. 

At the end of the day Player choice/morality systems could matter but that would be expensive and that's the reason that complicated "player choice" systems usually result in choosing the color of your lasers in the last 5min of the game. I kinda wish developers would stop trying to pull it off. 

Fable was pretty good 

37 minutes ago, DoomFruit said:

I dunno about that. From what I remember of The War Within, the "spare queen" option was white, "kill queen yourself" was neutral and "get Teshin to kill the queen" was black.

As far as I see it, the "go forth and sheath your sword in their blood" option is the right one from all aspects: pragmatic (kill queen = weaken the grineer power structure = damage their oppressive system; this also prevents her from trying to attack you like this again), kind (they've been oppressing your mentor figure for centuries, he must have been burning for a chance at revenge) and personally satisfying (how dare you try to mind control me, this death isn't anywhere near as painful as you deserve).

Likewise, the "let the queen live" option is the most braindead stupid one of the lot for all the above reasons.

Yeah, I agree that those choices were a bit confusing but I think this was their thought process:

White: Merciful, could also be interpreted as vengefulness (make the queen squirm as long as possible)

Neutral: Kill her and be done with, she did try to steal your body after all. Both pragmatic and satisfying.

Black: Let Teshin do whatever he wants with her, not really your concern anymore since she can't do s*it without her scepter. Most pragmatic choice.

Edited by Guest

23 minutes ago, DoomFruit said:

Sun, the Operator was vindictive, not merciful, let the queen die SLOWLY. "Let her ROT. That is her sentence."

Neutral, You get your own retribution on her, but are quick about it.

Moon, just let Teshin get what he wants without dirting your hands, she will die anyway.

7 minutes ago, Kaotyke said:

Sun, the Operator was vindictive, not merciful, let the queen die SLOWLY. "Let her ROT. That is her sentence."

Interesting. I don't think that I ever tried the white option to see what the dialogue was, I went straight for the "let Teshin avenge the humiliation that he'd been suffering for centuries" option.

I suppose that at some point (before Duviri?), I'll have to go through all the quests again just to refresh the story to date.

6 hours ago, Urlan said:

I also remember DE Steve mentioning that they have pretty much abandoned the Karma system, just leaving it for personal show - it was intended to be meaningful for story progression - but if you go from earlier quests with it, to Sacrifice, they drop and mostly flip the connotations they represented. I would like consistency in how the light and dark aspects are played up or represented in the game. Essentially the light comes across as in tune with "what would the Lotus do" and the dark is "what is the mission or reward, what is best for me" while the neutral is "go with the flow, my hands are clean" While for some, the Sun might embody the light of ruin, and the moon the gentle darkness, it didn't feel like that was the approach being used before Sacrifice.

They should really pick it up again.

I always thought that was to show off an arcane, lol. Never knew wtf that was because it is always the same. It sounded like it would have been a nice little side system but as most ideas in games go "Looks good on paper but doesn't play as well". I wouldn't mind them adding some side system, alternate play ideas to allow more variety in the game.

Could even add in a rogue comet that comes once every so many months that have some very unique enemies and item drops. Maybe if they added in a planetary rotation system we could get some kind of alert if it will smash into a planet and players have to alter it's course with a progress bar like the plains event. If it's not altered maybe there is some kind of elite invasion on every map on that planet or maybe it destroys the city Cetus, or any other city on that world, and players will need to donate a LOT of resources to open it back up so as to make players actually want to stop the comet.

This is a whole system that they can explore and introduce new planets, space objects or even other solar systems. They just need to open it up more imo. It is far past the time to introduce more worlds/systems. Could even have one system that is nothing but raids or something.

Edited by Mingtzu
Left out a word

2 minutes ago, Mingtzu said:

Maybe if they added in a planetary rotation system we could get some kind of alert if it will smash into a planet and players have to alter it's course with a progress bar like the plains event.

Or... an event mission par of that Formorian & Razorback ... a concept that would be compared to a 'Harmonic Convergence' of some sort.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, (PS4)thowed said:

Infamous did a pretty good job with it.  You got access to completely different powers depending on your "morality".  That wouldn't work in a game like this, just saying that's the only game I know of where it made an actual difference.  Also the being so evil your skin smoked in Fable was cool.

Infamous did an amazing job. Its sad that we haven't seen any new games from it for so long

4 hours ago, Kaotyke said:

Neutral, You get your own retribution on her, but are quick about it.

Moon, just let Teshin get what he wants without dirting your hands, she will die anyway.

I see letting her rot as being less vindictive and let her live the life she earned for herself, a wasting painful death but natural enough and not forcing Teshin or taking vengeance to kill her.

Neutral is not forcing someone else to kill her but still figuring you are going to get revenge on her for mucking with you.

Moon is ordering Teshin as holder of the Scepter or alternatively letting Teshin get his revenge for all the nefarious deeds the Queens forced him to do as holder of the Scepter.

The same can be seen as the choices before with the mind game, trying to cheer the more frightened children instead of hiding or actively hunting the possessed/maddened adults. And lastly with dumping out the Kuva, giving it to Teshin, or drinking it. Later we also have keeping the girl alive and curing her against the wishes of her people; having her decide; and lastly not deviating from the contract and sending her back - which will both kill the girl shortly and ensure others die the same way.

Edited by Urlan