The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Destiny 2 vs Warframe.

Brey223

Seeing how destiny 2 as moved to a more freemium game (not really free 2 play but free to try out) and with their themed seasons going on it’s been a real blast to play. Going back through the raids and strikes and overall having a ton of stuff to do in the game and things to go find and gather. What I could hope for with Warframe is that DE takes a hard look at what destiny is doing and really get their priorities down on what the community needs and what it wants. I think right now there’s a hard shift to the “casual” player which isn’t a bad thing, you need to have ways to get people into your game and keep them there. However you also need to be looking at the other end of your player base and realize that your veteran players also need some love and attention as well. I’m glad that they confirmed that they are bringing back raids as I never got to do them however I would also like to see dungeons (strikes for destiny players) added into the game. Give various level groups to do of them to provide the difficulty that isn’t in the base game to those veteran players. Of course you need to balance out the rewards of these events with the effort put into them which as we know DE tends to struggle a little on that front. 

I want DE to succeed and I want to see them taking a listen to the veteran players since they’re the ones that stick around well after the content has dried up. It’s fine to bring in new players but if you churn out the veteran players you’re gonna run into the issue of not being able to keep bringing in new players at the rate your losing the old players. 

what do you guys think? Please keep it civil as this is an opinion piece but one I thought was worthy of discussion. 

• Like 1

There are lessons I believe Warframe can learn from Destiny, but just as Destiny wasn't just blindly following Warframe's path, Warframe shouldn't just follow Destiny's.

They're similar ideas, approached from very different angles. That's something we need to remember and respect.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

There are lessons I believe Warframe can learn from Destiny, but just as Destiny wasn't just blindly following Warframe's path, Warframe shouldn't just follow Destiny's.

They're similar ideas, approached from very different angles. That's something we need to remember and respect.

100% agree with you. The raids and dungeons (which let’s face it with any MMO’esque game you kind of need) would be a great addition. 

also DE has been doing their own battle/season pass with alternate stories being told and rewards to gather which is a nice addition to the game and one I like more than the old alert system. I’m just hoping they take hints when it comes to player retention and not focusing on gathering new players exclusively. 

Edited by Brey223
  • Like 1

I think Destiny's recent move to free to start is disappointing and isn't enough of a change and update to it's systems. it's still solo unfriendly, it still gates you pretty hard for most things unreasonably and still doesn't matchmake on a lot of activities, also it's f2p economy is worse than warframe's despite selling the expansions adn the recent change to f2p actually make that worse in some ways (notably engrams) and it's version of a battlepass is unimpressive and quite grindy and if you haven't bought the upgraded tier it's really not even all that worth it, but that's also the only engram scraps you're getting when you could easily quadruple that in the same time before this change.

There's my thoughts. altogether in my opinion Destiny isn't doing a whole lot right here so I don't really want Warframe to follow them anywhere.

• Like 8

Funny how I think both could benefit from a new-player experience though. Otherwise, I am curious to see how DE approached raids 2.0, whenever they get around to it. I honestly am not creative enough to figure out how you make an end-game that is both engaging but balanced in Warframe's current state. Is it even possible to achieve both with how many frames and weapons are in the game? I feel like they keep trying different methods with both the Eidolon and Orb fights, but neither has really done it for me.

Edited by IntheCoconut

lol...

Theres also loads of mistakes Destiny made that DE could equally make. So be specific about exactly what youre asking for and expect! Dont fall into the mistake of adopting some of Destinys poorer and worse design decisions please.

Just now, Brey223 said:

The raids and dungeons (which let’s face it with any MMO’esque game you kind of need) would be a great addition. 

We had it before and no one played it 😕

DE even ran easy peasy alerts handing out powerful corrupted mods to try and help the low numbers incase it was too much of a gear/grind check.

1 minute ago, (PS4)Yes-Man-Kablaam said:

I think Destiny's recent move to free to start is disappointing and isn't enough of a change and update to it's systems. it's still solo unfriendly, it still gates you pretty hard for most things unreasonably and still doesn't matchmake on a lot of activities, also it's f2p economy is worse than warframe's despite selling the expansions adn the recent change to f2p actually make that worse in some ways (notably engrams) and it's version of a battlepass is unimpressive and quite grindy and if you haven't bought the upgraded tier it's really not even all that worth it, but that's also the only engram scraps you're getting when you could easily quadruple that in the same time before this change.

There's my thoughts. altogether in my opinion Destiny isn't doing a whole lot right here so I don't really want Warframe to follow them anywhere.

Well I stated it’s a freemium game to start as it isn’t a free to play game which yes isn’t a good move. However their season pass has actually helped me out a ton with gathering recourses and getting items to boost my power level. However their store is fairly pricy and all in all not really consumer friendly. In the content front however I believe there doing a pretty good job with their season of the undying. 

18 minutes ago, IntheCoconut said:

Is it even possible to achieve both with how many frames and weapons are in the game? I feel like they keep trying different methods with both the Eidolon and Orb fights, but neither has really done it for me.

Dragon Nest done it fantastically well during the level 40 cap. The Sea Dragon Nest had 8 stages to the fight, with about 14 bosses all with very different stage mechanics and boss mechanics. The bosses would also change thier behaviour and attacks depending on how weak they were during the fight. After the lvl 40 cap DN went full on into the pay to win and difficulty scale.

The benefit to Sea Dragon Nest was the bosses and most of the mechanics in that raid all originated from normal dungeons that were casual friendly as the damage was gentle and there was no 1 hit k/o's or dps checks to speak of. So when people who had played through the entire casual content reached there they were familiar with the mechanics. It was just basically 1-3 hit k/o's all around though.

• lava randomly flooding the floors during the fight forcing players to wall climb
  • 2-3 bosses in a stage where all 3 need to be killed in Synch
  • Airlock sucking players out to space
  • Poison or magnetic auras that infect team mates too close together
  • Dance dance revolution stun attack if players shoot out of synch lol.
  • Varying elemental weaknesses and strengths during the raid.

The obvious problem DE have is the time investment in designing bosses. They could just make 1 hyper raid where they copy and paste a mix of current bosses into a unique stage. Then add some simple stage hazards to those fights.

Edited by CarrotSalad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, (PS4)Yes-Man-Kablaam said:

it's version of a battlepass is unimpressive and quite grindy and if you haven't bought the upgraded tier it's really not even all that worth it

The 'battle pass' is the opposite of grindy, and the upgraded tier you speak of comes with the expansion. It's a bonus, nothing else.

I tried playing Destiny 2 for a bit when it released on steam, and i noticed something odd:

Why is there no recruitment chat/channel?

i was doing almost all missions alone, except for the "strikes" that had automatic machmaking. Also, no one was saying anything in chat, or responding to anything.

• Like 2

First off, only the base version of Destiny 2 is free.

Secondly, why must this be a case of either/or?

Enjoy both. You don't have to play the same game every day.

I'm tempted to give Destiny a try for the first time ever, just to kill time while waiting on WF content. But I'm also playing FFXIV on the side right now, so it's a matter of what I can fit into my free time (turns out FFXIV is way more grindy than I imagined it to be...). And I have a host of single-player games piling up more and more in my Steam library, so... 🤷‍♂️

Edited by DrakeWurrum
  • Like 1

Getting sick of these ****ing threads. Sorry

WF - F2P coop/ single player. Its been shown in past very few want PvP as an option. Leave that part dead.

Destiny 2 - PvP focused with singleplayer as an option. Paid full priced game now trying hard to be free 2 play to squeeze last $$$$ out of people .

A lot of ppl dont care and not interested in D2 tbh.

12 minutes ago, NigglesAU said:

Destiny 2 - PvP focused with singleplayer as an option. Paid full priced game now trying hard to be free 2 play to squeeze last $$$$ out of people .

Destiny 2 is definitely not PvP focused.

Edited by Espilon
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, SpacewalkerX said:

i was doing almost all missions alone, except for the "strikes" that had automatic machmaking. Also, no one was saying anything in chat, or responding to anything.

Destiny 2 chat has always been a ghost town. I think it wasnt even actually implemented until 6 or so months ago? Maybe after the Warmind update they added it. They had no public chat channels in the first year. Just squad chat channels. Its rubbish when you think about it. There was also no easy way to actually accept squad invites on the fly.

The only time you ever saw people talking in public was in the hubs and even then it was fairly quiet at the best of times.

Didnt they also have public chat channe muted by default in the settings menu?

Edited by CarrotSalad

1 hour ago, CarrotSalad said:

Dragon Nest done it fantastically well during the level 40 cap. The Sea Dragon Nest had 8 stages to the fight, with about 14 bosses all with very different stage mechanics and boss mechanics. The bosses would also change thier behaviour and attacks depending on how weak they were during the fight. After the lvl 40 cap DN went full on into the pay to win and difficulty scale.

The benefit to Sea Dragon Nest was the bosses and most of the mechanics in that raid all originated from normal dungeons that were casual friendly as the damage was gentle and there was no 1 hit k/o's or dps checks to speak of. So when people who had played through the entire casual content reached there they were familiar with the mechanics. It was just basically 1-3 hit k/o's all around though.

• lava randomly flooding the floors during the fight forcing players to wall climb
  • 2-3 bosses in a stage where all 3 need to be killed in Synch
  • Airlock sucking players out to space
  • Poison or magnetic auras that infect team mates too close together
  • Dance dance revolution stun attack if players shoot out of synch lol.
  • Varying elemental weaknesses and strengths during the raid.

The obvious problem DE have is the time investment in designing bosses. They could just make 1 hyper raid where they copy and paste a mix of current bosses into a unique stage. Then add some simple stage hazards to those fights.

Wow, these are all really interesting ideas. I think any kind of cooperative mechanic or something that requires coordination is really what makes a Raid, at least in my opinion, so all of these ideas fit in nicely with what I'd like. Most of the boss designs so far haven't required any real cooperation. Sure, it is helpful having someone to heal the lures during the Eidolon fights, or having extra dps, but that is about the extent of it. It would be nice to see them incorporate some of the mechanics you've listed.