Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

DE should stop chasing unicorns

Atekron

Just now, Atekron said:

they just get lucky, right game in right time, with right FTP model, landscape quiet different now

You don't get lucky for years on end, chump. 

Speaking of right time: Steam had no shortage of good co-op shooters for first 3 or so years of Warframe's life. The game grew directly under Borderlands and Payday's shadows during its most vulnerable stage and it still survived and grew. You can't summarize that to just plain luck. 

Not to mention I have some serious questions about telling creatives to not chase unicorns. What the hell do we make anything for then? I get that people think F2P games are assembly line products put together by algorithms but even products still need a selling point over other numerous products. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chaotea said:

but remember that what is now Empyrean was going to be part of venus' open world.

False. Empyrean was always going to be its own thing, they just linked them in for the reveal for the sake of spectacle.

10 minutes ago, Atekron said:

they just get lucky, right game in right time, with right FTP model, landscape quiet different now

Does that matter? Chasing unicorns, being extremely ambitious - that's what DE is.

You think the Second Dream would have come into existence if DE wasn't willing to take huge risks, and make big jumps?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Corvid said:

False. Empyrean was always going to be its own thing, they just linked them in for the reveal for the sake of spectacle.

I dont mean it was going to be released as part of it, but that it was going to be a future add on, like how the orb mother bosses have been. Its just that the sytem has expanded greatly since then. They did say youll get free roam maps to explore, so in a way space might be the next open world map.

Just now, Atekron said:

problem is they are developing game wide instead of deep

What if Empyrean is both wide and deep?

If they follow through and make it what it is actually supposed to be, it will be a deep addition the base game aswell since it will change how we approach the star chart pretty much. Not that I believe that will happen at the initial release, but it opens up options for a more free roam, free space, free world kinda experience. It all depends how fun and good the space combat is. If it is just a fraction as good and addictive as JTLS was for SWG or as fun as X-Wing, Tie Fighter, X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter was I'll be all over it no matter the rewards. And by having us being able to board other ship I get some good OG Battlefront vibes aswell, which gives me another reason to play it and enjoy it.

That is if the design turns out well. But it is better they try instead of stopping and saying "it is too hard!".

Just now, chaotea said:

I dont mean it was going to be released as part of it, but that it was going to be a future add on, like how the orb mother bosses have been.

Except it wasn't.

Empyrean's early prototypes were shown off before open worlds were even a thing.

I’m glad DE tries all kinds of ideas. I don’t like some of them but I like that the updates keep arriving. Keep making more stuff... 

I find it amusing that I’ll read a post about someone coming back to Warframe after a brief break and they need someone to help them catch up with current content... and then people are complaining about content drought.... DE can only output so much content... and it’s gonna be buggy at launch... fine with me... keep it coming as I don’t like the idea of it stopping all together...

• Like 2

Just now, Atekron said:

so why do they don't show that to us? generally DE deliver only what they already showed, but with bugs and unbalanced 

How would we see if it is wide, deep or both? That is something we need to experience first hand in order to make that call.

Just as liches sounded like a deep and long mode, which it really isnt.

Just now, SneakyErvin said:

How would we see if it is wide, deep or both? That is something we need to experience first hand in order to make that call.

Just as liches sounded like a deep and long mode, which it really isnt.

liches are suck, ironically it was only one part of empyrion i was interested in

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Softballbryan said:

I’m glad DE tries all kinds of ideas. I don’t like some of them but I like that the updates keep arriving. Keep making more stuff... 

I find it amusing that I’ll read a post about someone coming back to Warframe after a brief break and they need someone to help them catch up with current content... and then people are complaining about content drought.... DE can only output so much content... and it’s gonna be buggy at launch... fine with me... keep it coming as I don’t like the idea of it stopping all together...

Well, that's how it works, though. If you take a break, even just a couple of months, there's usually at least a couple new things in game to try out- a new frame or weapon set or mechanic or something. 

If you don't, this stuff is barely a week's worth of gameplay, if that. 

Personally, I like that DE tries so many different things with the game. I don't like that so many of them  end up being shallow or boring or just badly implemented, but I like that there's all these ideas being tried. I'd love to see them go back and do comprehensive overhauls in a few places, like archwing,  but at the same time, I realize that the game's never gonna be perfect. 

• Like 1

It's the same parkour-and-gun game with Empyrean. Same bunch of bad guys, same sci-fi stuff...all that core gameplay is still there.

Sure, it would be nice if they'd polish up other aspects a bit more in some way. A number of people have been talking about the Lich grind being excessive and longer-formed content like that probably shouldn't have its duration as a negative point, and personally I feel like there's a missed opportunity when Spy missions—the ones meant to emphasize stealth—are still 90% running through hallways of bad guys and 10% actual stealth-ish mechanics. I mean, IMO, it's a missed opportunity when most of many non-endless missions consist of running from point A to point B instead of what makes the mission unique.

But that doesn't preclude expansions like Empyrean.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Atekron said:

it's like doing almost same thing expecting different result, isn't it?

Only if it was doing the exact same thing expecting a different result.

It really depends on what all the grind and space combat leads us to and how long we have to wait to get it.

Archwing was aimless and Empyrean doesn't appear to be...we'll have to wait and see.

37 minutes ago, Atekron said:

like "open worlds" or upcoming Empyrean

concept and idea of Empyrean is interesting and fascinating.. for an action game, like God of Wars, Star Wars Fallen Order, etc. games, that you do play once and then move on, it's not very fitting to grinder where you play same missions hundreds of times

another two games that I do like are LoL and PoE, and recently they also did some announcement of upcoming content

what was their main focus? improving their core games, more the same, but better, those companies know their audience and give them what they want

Riot do not try to inject card game or shooter into League of Legends, they make separate games if they want to try something new, they do not alienating their players with some crazy stuff

GGG in a recent ExileCon did not made any crazy changes to their IP, they just show that game will become better

DE lost their way 

what even worse, now they do have a powerful competitor - Destiny, wich drain their core playerbase

maybe I am wrong and Empyrean will be great success, but honestly I do not see anything that will make me to want go back to playing Warframe

You are right about DE having to focus on the core gameplay (they are doing that with new melee changes and other stuff)

But why? Why always bring up Destiny as a competitor? It is very different from Warframe. I tried Destiny, and I hated it. I can't see what people like so much about that game. 

In my case, the competition of Warframe is mostly the new CoD MW, sometimes Conan Exiles and Mordhau and will be DOOM Eternal and Cyberpunk 2077 when they get released. Because those games get my attention and I spend my 16hs a day of gaming on those games instead of Warframe as I used to. 

But why always bring up Destiny as if it was a mirror of Warframe or something like that? Destiny is just a game that mixes some of Titanfall's, Borderlands and Mass Effect gameplay, but I will always prefer those other titles. For me, Destiny feels like something washedout and childish. It doesn't compare to Warframe, AT ALL. 

People who prefer Destiny should just go play it. I tried it, and I uninstalled it very fast. 

• Like 1

What I will agree with 100 % is that whether you like it or not D2 has become a competitor to WF. 

I've said it before, and I will say it again - that's a good thing. Things either become better or go down the drain. Either way we, the players, will have options. 

• Like 1

I agree that they should improve core mechanics and should refrain from leaving content to rot. DE must have put the majority of its employees to create upcoming content and the remaining can't keep up with fixes / reworks. I don't like to defend DE but working for corporate for 5 years will make you understand them.

What's with all these threads lately saying that Destiny 2 is taking Warframe's player base? Are they really targeted at the same people?

I tried some Destiny 2 a couple days ago, and NOPE'd right out when I saw randos in my game, and later researched and found out there's no way to opt out of that crap. At least in Warframe, in spite of some of DE's recent decisions, I can still enjoy some quality gaming time with just me and my man with no third wheels interrupting.

• Like 2

You don't like open worlds, and I guess alternative mechanics like fishing and stuff (as much as I can gather from op), OK

That doesn't mean those don't go well with a looter shooter, YOU just don't like it, that's all.

Also, any time DE spends a single minute to work on the core game, derptubers all start crying about content drough, and so do all their mindless thralls...

Finally, how about some actual suggestion ? It's oh so easy to complain and just say "make it better", quite a bit tougher to give any well constructed idea. What would be that

new content, based on the exact same gameplay loop we have, but made better ? What do you want ?

il y a 49 minutes, Atekron a dit :

like "open worlds" or upcoming Empyrean

concept and idea of Empyrean is interesting and fascinating.. for an action game, like God of Wars, Star Wars Fallen Order, etc. games, that you do play once and then move on, it's not very fitting to grinder where you play same missions hundreds of times

another two games that I do like are LoL and PoE, and recently they also did some announcement of upcoming content

what was their main focus? improving their core games, more the same, but better, those companies know their audience and give them what they want

Riot do not try to inject card game or shooter into League of Legends, they make separate games if they want to try something new, they do not alienating their players with some crazy stuff

GGG in a recent ExileCon did not made any crazy changes to their IP, they just show that game will become better

DE lost their way 

what even worse, now they do have a powerful competitor - Destiny, wich drain their core playerbase

maybe I am wrong and Empyrean will be great success, but honestly I do not see anything that will make me to want go back to playing Warframe

Forgot to quote you there

Just now, Padre_Akais said:

Only if it was doing the exact same thing expecting a different result.

It really depends on what all the grind and space combat leads us to and how long we have to wait to get it.

Archwing was aimless and Empyrean doesn't appear to be...we'll have to wait and see.

dude english not my native language so don't be "grammar nazi"

was it? or it suppose to be thing that will "lift the whole"

il y a 28 minutes, (XB1)TyeGoo a dit :

Sorry I don't do drugs because I don't want to end up like DE that currently drive the game towards a wall.

But I do understand that the only reasonable explanation someone can endure this insulting RNG and grind is with drugs.

He is right kids, don't do drugs, or you might end up like DE and develop a (despite what someone may say) overall nice game

Edited by (PS4)Jack_Mahler

45 minutes ago, Atekron said:

please, let's not talk about some mythical source or master plan, they have successful IP and Empyrean is rather sidestep

Well lets be honest here. I really doubt you will go ahead and watch devstream 1 up to now like a tv serie but its been clearely stated a lot in the firsts years that warframe was not as it was planned from the start.