Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Drydock - insufficient space

DrakeWurrum

Question

So I'm trying to add the Dry Dock to my dojo, but it tells me I have insufficient space. I have checked both the other floors of my Dojo. It's facing in a direction I have no structures built. I even made sure to build an extended hallway out away from the rest of the Dojo.

Still insufficient space. And no, it's not Capacity - I have almost 700 Capacity, and plenty of Energy for it. It's "insufficient space" as if rooms are in the way.

What have other people done to get it built?

Edited by DrakeWurrum
  • Like 21

So far it seems that the drydock is approximately 5 effective floors in height, 1 at "ground level", 2 above and 2 below also its "hitbox" reaches straigth up to its doors, so any room with protusions above it will create a placing conflict.

If you can go out of bonds in your dojo, the minimap will show all floorplans overlapping, leting you guesstimate were the problem lays

Just build a basement level that was just made for the new additions (lich trade post) and I'm attempting the dry dock, I put one long hallway after reading about some issues in the hopes of avoiding it, however it seems I'm running into the same problem.  I can't really do much as I'm the only really active member of the clan and again we've build 2 other floors above this one with all sorts of rooms.  If DE actually play tested things like any other game dev does then we would probably see a lot less of these issues.  I'm not going to wait another 12x4 hours just to make a hallway the size of an entire state just for the ridiculous and over sized dry dock to NOT fit, I'm sure as **** not going to start removing other rooms that have been there for years either, again waiting 12 hours PER room on a guess!  DE can fix this then call me, stop doing half efforts and actually check to see if things work in a real world scenario not your stale dojo with nothing in it.

1 minute ago, Carrrrammba said:

We really need some form of 3D planning tool. Just simple tetris like boxes on a 3 axis grid to evaluate the volume needed for each node would be simple and perfect...even as a website and not ingame.

Doom 2016 did a great job at having an older school style of 2D map but it also showed other levels above and below, 7 years in development and DE still can't figure out something as simple as a map.  Mean while original Doom had maps that you can easily follow while Warframe... nah.

Ah damn, I was dreading that this would be a potential issue. Been recently renovating our clan dojo from the ground up and have been learning about and experiencing first hand a lot of common issues (Like having to deconstruct/build the halls in a set order, room heights interfering with other rooms on different floors etc.), so I was really banking on the drydock not to have any capacity or spacial problems. I guess I should've had some foresight when planning since the drydock was always going to be such a large structure, but I was really hoping to go with a layout that was aesthetically unique while remaining functional and efficient. I'm hoping it's just a bug for now, otherwise I'll have to head back to the drawing board.

edit: here's what I had planned for our dojo just for reference

Spoiler

IX75Oqf.png

It's certainly not the most efficient layout out there (You could even argue that it's asking for future expansion issues), but I did have plans for how that second floor would've looked (My head canon was going to be that the upper floor was the primary bridge area of the dojo tower, or possibly a ship like the Orbiter that had docked inside of the dojo tower, along with the corridors and clan halls on that floor decorated like a ships interior).

Thankfully I've only so far built up to that upper floor, so if need be I could deconstruct it and add corner corridors that loop around to create another set of elevators that would go up, and then hopefully that would be enough room to clear the main floor (and even then I'm worried there'll be another issue I run into like a elevator height limit). Not exactly what I would've wanted, but it's something salvageable at least. Again, fingers crossed that this is something that DE can fix. 

But if anyone has any tips or ideas for what I could change or do I'd appreciate any helpful feedback.

Edited by (PS4)BloodyHell

I really cannot stress how totally and utterly fecked off and bored with all this crap I am now.

Seriously, every time the game goes into one of it's little tantrums like this, I quit for a few months, let DE listen to everybody whine and piss and moan and *@##$ until they give up and actually fix the mess or the community finds a workaround - A workaround that usually comes with a huge plat and/or grind cost - Then I come back, enjoy things again, and then, boom...Crapola returns!

How, exactly, the actual feck did nobody at DE in any of the meetings at any point during the development of this giant mess stop the world and say something like...

"It will be bigger than most Dojos and a real pain in the ass for the players to fit it in at all. Why don't we make it a Relay-style structure and the players can fly their Orbiter there to save all of the trouble (and the whining and pissing and moaning and *@##$ing and community-led workarounds and plat and grind)?"

"We can still leave some grind there as they will need to build some crazy-assed thingumajig to be able to access it at all."

There we go...Development project INTERNS would surely have spotted and flagged it. I work in the industry and, certain, very rare instances aside, people lose their jobs for way less than this.

Which leads me to one single, simple conclusion....

This is NOT an accident. DE LOVE it when crap like this goes down because they know that the marketplace will suddenly see a massive lowering of available platinum, leading to sales, and a MASSIVE drop in the on-hand forma, thus causing players to spend yet more platinum or actually farm forma blueprints instead of prime parts for sale, again lowering the amount of trades, read platinum, in circulation.

No joke. This break is going to be either a very long one or the last one. I simply cannot continue to support a game that refuses to support the player base, especially when that player base is the main reason that most of us even play at all. IT isn't free to play if it costs you your sanity.

I had a spot planned out for the Dry dock which, of course, didn't fit because of rooms one floor below it. Then I move a room to make a different space which should have worked as it is completely clear on all sides and completely clear up and down, but it still doesn't work. I even have a cross connection and an extended straight connection to put it further out, still doesn't fit.

• Like 1

This situation is pure bullsh*t.  We shouldn't be in a position where we're guessing how to utilize a new feature.  But this is the second time this month they've done it.  First with Lich Trading, which remains unexplained (and therefore unused), and now the friggin' Space dock.  There is NO excuse for them adding in a feature like this that can't be immediately added and utilized.  What's worse is that we haven't heard a single word of out DE.  Is this going to be like the friggin' Catchmoon debacle, where we told them for a year about the problem before they finally deigned to address it?

Edited by Homicider
  • Like 1

The big issue here isn't so much that the room is GINORMOUS and requires a ton of space, as much as that we CAN'T actively see a 3D map of the Dojo to even know what is causing the issue. Been fiddling for last 2 days now trying to figure out where to put the stupid thing, and i realized instantly it was likely clipping into the floor above or below--- but the problem is i don't know how to FIX that issue... because i can't actively SEE what room is causing the problem or how far i need to go out. I'm not about to spend plat rushing rooms and other bull, because DE didn't think to update the dang Dojo building to begin with. It's a MASSIVE issue that DE apparently doesn't want to fix or didn't have the forethought to fix. On top of the 12 hour wait to build rooms.. we also have the lovely 2 hour wait to destroy rooms.

This is a freaking mess, i feel like this year should have been a home run for DE with the liches, nightwave ect... but it's not been and i have played less this year then any other, and you know--- these issues don't make me want to play more.

Edit: if you ask me each floor should be designed in such a way to accommodate every room without the risk of clipping,,, if roioms are clipping into the floor above that means the DISTANCE between floors is to short and needs to be increased to a point it can accommodate any room you slot in. This seems like a fundamental flaw with the floor distance, i shouldn't have to worry about a rooms height since i cant see a 3D map nor can i control the elevator depth...

DE you just need to fix the building system... and you should have did it BEFORE you dropped the dry dock... it should have been a big update and got people excited for Dojo's again. Instead half of us cant build our dry dock...

Edited by LordLokai
  • Like 1

So yesterday I said I had a few options to see where I could build my Dry Dock.

I have a pretty extensive one man dojo, it's a pretty symetrical layout, long with main halls mid level, all research labs off one hall, all reactors at rear left to right in pairs.

Up front the halls went to the statue room, that led to the Obstacle Architect room. I deleted that room last night. I then built the two available bbstacle rooms left and right of the statue room and an extended corridor forward.

At the rear, I deleted two mid rear reactors, this morning I extended two long corridors left and right to the dead end T junction to circumvent that, come round, and join mid with a cross section behind the dead end, then an extended corridor led away from that.

That left my mid with open ends at both, this is my longest level.

My upper floor was a cross section with elevators left and right, observatory at front, obstacle course at rear. I deleted the rear normal obstacle course last night.

My lower floor is every garden, all large in mid front to back in a line with smalls branching off.

With one extended rear corridor on upper level, I cannot place the dry dock, I expected that. Not interested in deleting the Observatory. I will use that space for the Kuva trading room maybe, not sure as Dry Dock has two rooms and well not sure.

On the lower level I could only place a dry dock at rear, that opened up to front and rear when I deleted the Obstacle Artchitect. Not fitting with the garden theme though.

So as expected, with no change I could place a Dry Dock, with a little change put it somewhere appropriate, but I spent some plat and forma creating alternatives to see, knowing where rooms above or below would block. Probably wasted more plat and forma than I should have.

I now have a massive long assymetrical dojo, that can take a Dry Dock at either end of the lower garden deck , or either end of the middle deck, with plenty of expansion left or right, I deleted the Dry Dock on it's 1st build as I forgot to rotate it.

Thinking the best place is off of the statue room. Sort of leaves that as an entrance hall from the Dry Dock. Or should I add another massive hall? 🤔

Edit. I could work out to some degree where rooms would clip, you get an idea from your level maps and can work out in your head roughly where you are based on the lengths of rooms, I knew before I checked that my front most garden would be blocked by the Obstacle Architect. I knew that you would need at least 1 extended corridor from any location.

But still it is annoying how there is such little detail on any build mapping you do, what got me is I cannot delete a T juntion at the rear of my dojo to replace it with a cross junction. That is poor game design. I would have to delete 16 reactors and 8 cross sections just to re-model a T juntion.

They should re-model the junctions and corridors so you can modify them without deleting rooms as long as the replacement fits, like simply build on top or such.

Ok Edit.

One thing that pisses me off now, is rotation. YET AGAIN I HAVE DELETED THE DRY DOCK AS the 1st time it was side on, so I gave one click on rotation after deleting and rebuilding, IT IS AGAIN SIDE ON.

I simply cannot see the orientation I want due to DE's appaling dojo preview on building a room. It has three rooms, I want it center with a free node up front left and right.

Yeah now I am starting to regret wasting too much plat and "swear word" forma on messing around with a dojo build with such appaling UI.

Edited by SastusBulbas

This is ridiculous.

Did you HAVE to make the drydock so impossibly, prohibitively huge? It highlights so many issues with dojo building, but you could have easily made it smaller! You could have easily made it not eat FIVE FLOORS OF SPACE

Why do dojos even give a hell about verticality anyway?

Well it is done now.

I am a proper bucket load of Forma less off, and wasted a large amount of plat. Much of it was me saving time and adding to see what I knew, but it highlighted what many of here are complaining about is nothing more than their own built dojo constraints.

I actually had no problem with space and building it and have a massive 3 floor dojo with every room in the build list built, it simply needs nothing below, nothing above, and to be at least an extended corridor away. My only problem was rotation, which could probably been avoided if I examined the structure better to know the shape of each side.

I finally managed to fit that thing behind some area free of things under and above ground. Toke us 4 corridors, few hundred platinum and some nice formas.

Gosh it would have helped a lot if a manager could do a pre programing or something preemptive.

Having to go there physically to create corridors and measure it by thought is really archaic.

Sem-t-tuloabacada.png

Just remember that the area circled on red on that shot is where you can ''spot'' where exactly is the hangar pointing at, if you want some map design.

Edited by ------.Queen-of-Blades

I just kept building extended hallways until it was way the hell out beyond everything. I don't have multiple levels in my dojo (In fact, as I mentioned in another thread, the drydock is about as big as the rest of my dojo put together), so I just needed to get several hallways away. 

This is horrible. Been working on my dojo for 4 years. It's amazing, great design, easy to navigate and 3 levels of thought out and completely decked out. Even had a spot on the 3rd floor to build the new dry dock room. No luck, no room anyway. Another member built 15 extended halls out to the middle of no where and built the doc. I have to spend 2hr per hallway to destroy the impatient work, and now either rebuild tons of hallways in a more reasonable area or we seriously need a fix.

I propose two fix ideas:

1. Extend the space between floors so the issues of above and below is solved.

or

2. Allow us to rearrange room location WITHOUT disrupting current room decore, or a copy&paste room+decore function. We've spent complete weeks of our lifes decorating rooms, we deserve not to have to regress our hard work.

Meantime I'm going to add 2 upward elevators [tip USE ROOM ROTATE before build to assure the elevator goes up, light blue indicates a down elevator, white outline is up] and see if 2 upward elevators wont do the trick. It should if it is indeed 5 floors height, that should get the room above other rooms.

Update: The Elevators did not work, I was two floors above the last and no luck, I didn't want to try a third because the time of walking through 3 elevators to a room is miserable and even though the Dry Dock comes with a fast travel, I didn't deck out an amazing dojo to promote teleporting through it. 

So, I had an obstacle course off by itself that wasnt custom, so I deleted it and STILL had to add two extended hallways out to avoid the 3rd Floor's Observation room. But hey it finally worked. 

Words to Remember:

1. The Dry Dock cannot be placed if anything is above or below it for *atleast* 2 entire floors down and up. 

2. Nothing can be directly beside the node your building it from. 

3. If you want the room to build connecting to its center catwalk, click [rotate room] TWICE.

Edited by Vorpal_Ocelot

On 2019-11-24 at 12:34 AM, (XB1)BlueDually said:

It is pretty sad that my takeaway from this thread is; delete my clan and join one after they have screwed around with the system for a couple months before I try and join.

This is exactly what I did.  First I made an alt to keep my clan active, then I just joined up with a big clan.  It sucks, but there was no real alternative.

All those over complex messy dojo's leading to so much anguish.

The system is crap true, but all of you need to realise the biggest issue is your willy nilly dojo building.

Was talking to my lad about this last night,  we could actually visual the layout in 3D in our heads, even when I explained exactly how my dojo was laid out and would delete a room to place the Dry Dock, I still went out my way wasting plat to prove I was right and such.

The only problem is the UI for building is rubbish, and it would be helpful to have a better building UI with a 3D model in game. Though I believe there are 3rd party apps for that.

Not DE's fault the kiddies went mental with their building blocks with little forward planning.

Even with the obstacle rooms we had level constraints. So it wasnt too difficult to work out a five level massive room 2 up 2 down is going to need to be placed in un-populated space.

Adding my name to the list of people struggling with the Dry Dock.

I hope elevators can be adjusted by DE to travel further up/down to make sure that there's no chance for rooms on each floor clipping. Laying out a dojo is completely misleading because the vertical height of things isn't displayed. This is my first time running into floor-to-floor clipping issues, I wasn't aware it was a thing.

I've put countless weeks laying out my dojo for this update, decorating it with hundreds of items, and now it seems instead of just dropping the dry dock on, I may have to erase it all just to have the layout I wanted. Partially due to the height of the dry dock, the insufficient elevator travel distance, and the daisy chain of required clan halls that ended up under it  All of my excitement for this update was slammed to a halt because of how discouraging this is. 

On a related note, the other room from this update, the Crimson branch. Why does it have to be 1 and a half "blocks" wide like it is? it can't go anywhere cleanly. Research rooms are 1 " block " wide, the large halls are 2 " blocks " wide with 2 doors on each side to nicely click 1 "block" wide rooms on cleanly. The Crimson Branch size isn't even warranted, it has the same function as the placeable trading post, but needs to fit in the size that 2 research rooms could.

TL:DR = Please make elevators travel further, separating the floors of all our dojos to stop all clipping issues. Please make the Crimson branch room a "research room " size. it's a room with such a simple purpose anyway.

P.S = After removing the daisy chain of clan halls on the lower floor, I was able to get it to fit. However, my points still stand to fix the dojo's room clipping issues. I shouldn't have had to edit things under it so much.

Edited by Taria_Lorefield
Got it to build.

Wow, DE implementing something poorly thought through and the playerbase struggling with it? That never happens.

I too get to experience the fun of building useless hallways into the middle of nowhere to make my previously nice looking dojo into a giant piece of junk to prepare for the drydock. THANKS DE!

On 2019-11-23 at 3:50 PM, dbugz said:

I'm currently trying to see if I could build the dry dock a few (2, 3, 4, maybe 5) floors (elevator connected to hallway leading to another elevator connected to hallway leading...etc) above my observatory. Just waiting to destroy one stupid room accidentally built on a floor above the observatory.

Hopefully this will give an idea on how large the dry dock is, vertically.

Just to update you guys, I was able to build the Dry Dock on top of my Observatory. The entrance to the Dry Dock when it was built is 2 floors above where the Observatory was, so basically:

- Observatory on the North end of a cross-connector
- Elevator going up attached to the West end of the same cross-connector
- Extended hallway going from West to East attached to top of previous elevator
- Elevator going up attached to the East end of previous extended hallway
- Elbow/cross connector gong from East to West attached to previous elevator
- Dry Dock attached to North end of previous connector (although it already allowed me to place it, I just personally opted to add a straight hallway before placing down the dock for "aesthetic" purposes)

So yeah, it was a pain to try out considering the resources, and build times. Sacrificed a few plat too just to see how many floors up and how "far" away it should be from other hallways/rooms - not to mention the wait time involved when destroying undesired "test" rooms/hallways.

I didn't bother trying how many floors up from the "imagined" ceiling of the Dry Dock will it start allowing me to build rooms/halls directly on top of it.

A bit disappointed though considering the size and scale of the Dry Dock that you can't see it from the Obervatory balcony when you look up, and I couldn't see the Observatory when I look down below from all that huge hangar space in the Dry Dock. Not really game breaking but it would have been a nice visual touch if they did.

Edited by dbugz

The only real solution here is to change the dojo system completely.  Allow players to move rooms from an upper tier map that has toggles to show floors above and below.  

Anyroom ever built should be able to be moved and placed without destroying room and hours of decorations inside.  

The time to destroy room needs to be removed and built time reduced to 30 seconds.  

If they want to make plat, sell cool decorations, not create a frustrating system that charges us to bypass the crap.

• Like 1