Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Railjack] The captain must have full control of the ship

Awazx

When I get on another captain's ship, I never place myself in the pilot's position without the captain's permission. For me, it is a way of showing respect. In addition, I do not know the reasons why the captain has decided that the ship should be at rest or in motion, and the pace of frenetic play does not allow a fluid communication to find out.

Tip: Add a status switch to the different dependencies and functions of the ship: [free use / captain only].

1. Free use (any member can use this dependency / function).
2. Captain only (only the owner of the ship has permission to use this unit / function).

That way, the captain can set up the pilot bridge for free use or for personal use only, and do the same for all the functions of his ship.

Edited by Awazx

3 minutes ago, Awazx said:

I don't have my own ship, but when I get on another captain's ship, I never place myself in the pilot's position without the captain's permission. For me, it is a way of showing respect. In addition, I do not know the reasons why the captain has decided that the ship should be at rest or in motion, and the pace of frenetic play does not allow a fluid communication to find out.

Tip: Add a status switch to the different dependencies and functions of the ship: [free use / captain only].

1. Free use (any member can use this dependency / function).
2. Captain only (only the owner of the ship has permission to use this unit / function).

That way, the captain can set up the pilot bridge for free use or for personal use only, and do the same for all the functions of his ship.

It's a nice idea, but it'd be executed horribly. I can already picture myself getting on a railjack and having no permissions to do anything on the ship.

• Like 3

à l’instant, Zahnny a dit :

It's a nice idea, but it'd be executed horribly. I can already picture myself getting on a railjack and having no permissions to do anything on the ship.

It is true, but it is the normal risk of getting on an unknown ship. In any case, you would also benefit from having control of your ship before "unknown" players.

• Like 1

Nah, I think it's fine as is. Though I do feel a little antsy when somebody else is driving MY ship...

I think if they were to simply lock ordinance to the pilot seat (instead of also side turrets) and using Flux energy to the captain only (I hate it when people waste payloads), and then included some sort of "safety switch" for the Artillery on the pilot seat... might be less annoying.

Edited by DrakeWurrum

En 19/12/2019 a las 17:04, Zahnny dijo:

Make it so the Captain can manually shove other players off of the Pilot seat.

This would be much more violent. Personally, I would feel bad about being forced to expel someone from the helm, and it would also be violent for the other person.

Edited by Awazx

They could also make a simple "Request" system, basically like make Cy say "Captain, a crew member wishes to use ordinance" and have a yes/no button for the player who owns the Railjack when somebody attempts to do something. Similar requests would be needed to enter the Pilot seat for example and you could put a cooldown to prevent spamming requests.

Same with the Forge, the only thing that wouldn't have this would be the exits and the Archwing Launcher.

When in a premade (I.E. anything but public matchmaking) this system would not be active. Each system can also be set manually, like the Forge can be free use but the Artillery is request only for example

Edited by Aldain

Eh, I'd appreciate it if I could lock them out of refining resources, using avionics, munitions, and the cannon.  Taking the helm doesn't bother me as much, simply driving the railjack won't really result in costing me my hard earned resources, unless they're making a point to catch every bit of ordinance they can.

When we were getting free refills upon mission completion and heading back to the drydock, I was like, "sure, go nuts."  Now that each shot fired from the cannon is definitely going to cost me, I'm starting to clutch my pearls.

4 hours ago, Zahnny said:

Make it so the Captain can manually shove other players off of the Pilot seat.

That's all you'd need to do.

I like the idea, but I think it might invoke some toxicity. I imagine some guy who's being purposefully horrible (not shooting anything, slamming the ship into things, ect.) and he gets off for a moment for some reason, next comes a player who just wants to play the mission that takes over piloting, in comes the captain that forces them out of the pilot seat and continues to troll.

As for OP, I think a better idea would be if people could choose a certain "role" for the gamemode and have an icon floating over their head (that can only be seen by other players) indicating what that role is. However, they should still be granted full access to the ship including piloting it.

I do agree with most of this stuff. Normally when people waste my resources, I make sure I forge everything they used back out of the shared pool before the mission ends. Ofc, if they use them effectively then I have no issue.

Forward artillery for example, is a complete waste. Needs 2 shots even with a maxed out (4/5 ranks and rank 3 grid) forward artillery damage avionic to kill a crewship in the first node of Veil. What is the damn point of a big laser cannon that charges up like some epic rail gun of destruction that needs a second shot after... it's such a waste that if I didn't have slight OCD keeping everything full I would empty my dome charges and never refill them.

EDIT: Now that I know rhino works on it, it isn't so useless, just a pain to use forward artillery.

Edited by More-L
  • Like 1

Il y a 9 heures, DrivaMain a dit :

A permission system is probably better. 

Yes, a permit system could work. But why wait for someone to ask you permission for something, when you have simply made it clear what can be used and what not?

As captain of your own ship, I think you have the right to have full control of your internal systems.

In addition, it is a way of immersion and interacting with your ship in a more intimate way.

:highfive:

22 hours ago, Awazx said:

I don't have my own ship, but when I get on another captain's ship, I never place myself in the pilot's position without the captain's permission. For me, it is a way of showing respect. In addition, I do not know the reasons why the captain has decided that the ship should be at rest or in motion, and the pace of frenetic play does not allow a fluid communication to find out.

And as the captain of my own Railjack, I find this attitude incredibly aggravating. Just because I own the ship doesn't mean I want to be piloting it 100% of the time. Some of the time, sure, but I also want to use the side guns, the slingshot and even run around fighting fires on the ship. And yet, I have SUCH extreme trouble getting anyone to actually fly the damn ship. People spawn in, look around at the empty helm, then jump out in their Archwings. Asking them pilot in chat does nothing. Asking them to pilot through Cy does nothing. Why does it have to be up to the host to always and only ever fly the ship?

I'm not necessarily against locking consoles down, but that's a can of worms I don't feel Warframe really needs. Let's say I'm the kind of control freak who never wants anyone but me moving the Railjack. Well, what if I'm also the kind of control freak who doesn't like team-mates on ground missions running ahead and starting objectives before we're ready. Can I bar people from leaving the room I'm in? Lock the doors and force them to open all the crates and lockers? What if I don't like people playing Limbo on my squad. Do I get to ban them from playing that Warframe?

I'm a proponent for having a host kick options, sure, as well as a manual host migration option. But that's as far as I'd go, personally. If you don't like how a person on the team is playing, ask them to stop, tell them to stop, kick them from the team, fair enough. But trying to implement host-only hooks just serves to give petty people ways to troll their team and makes things a lot more cumbersome for the rest of us.

• Like 2

il y a 1 minute, Steel_Rook a dit :

Just because I own the ship doesn't mean I want to be piloting it 100% of the time.

Of course. What I propose that there are different options. Different options, for different tastes.

:thumbup:

• Like 1

At the VERY least, I would just like to see some sort of vote system or something when it comes to people smashing the Refine button in the forge when we don't have payloads topped off and/or still have a lot of stuff to fight, etc.  Whether it's because of people just trolling or not really knowing what that button does, it's frustrating to be halfway through the fighters and almost get screwed because someone doesn't know how to (or care to) manage the forge properly.

2 hours ago, Awazx said:

Yes, a permit system could work.

I think, honestly, we only need that for using Munitions, Dome Charges, or Flux Energy. Like a "safety toggle" kinda thing under the Tactical screen.

I've actually seen a guy jump into the artillery slot behind me and just randomly fire off all of my Dome Charges into empty space, and I'm only rank 4 Engineering. I've seen guys on the side guns blasting missile after missile at basic fighters instead of saving them for the Outrider, forcing me to spend resources in the Forge. So... yeah.

Let the captain control Navigation and Payloads (minus Revolite, since that can't really be wasted). Everything else is free game.

Edited by DrakeWurrum
  • Like 2

il y a 4 minutes, DrakeWurrum a dit :

I think, honestly, we only need that for using Munitions, Dome Charges, or Flux Energy.

They are crucial points, yes.

What I propose is that the captain can choose what he considers crucial points for free or restricted use.

I'm already not leaving the pilot seat anymore. Every time I did (Ya know, parked in those giant hollow asteroids to do various things from restocking to fixing stuff) someone took over, drove my poor little baby like they were drunk and not 10 seconds later we were on fire, boarded, ruptured like the Titanic and out of energy and ammunition cuz "Yay, buttons!".

No offense, just exaggerated recall of events.

So the suggested changes would ease my mind a lot. But realistically they're most likely not gonna happen. Host migration probably gonna mess that up too then, even if they try to make it so everyone can pilot when the host leaves.

They're still a good thought so: Want to keep control? Only you can pilot. Want to do something different? Everyone can pilot.

When I started this I assumed that getting my intrinsics to certain levels would unlock features for my whole crew - like if I had gunnery 5, it means anyone could use the Big Gun - and I was severely disappointed to find it meant only I could be useful. (in other words, I misunderstood it and thought it unlocked abilities of the ship, not of the player)

Permissions would be fantastic—so that as long as the Railjack owner has an ability unlocked, they could provide access to any crew member before launch. 

Edited by Ham_Grenabe

En 20/12/2019 a las 16:15, Deus-Ex-Vesania dijo:

I'm already not leaving the pilot seat anymore. Every time I did (Ya know, parked in those giant hollow asteroids to do various things from restocking to fixing stuff) someone took over, drove my poor little baby like they were drunk and not 10 seconds later we were on fire

I understand you very well, I experience the same and it is really very frustrating. With this permit system, those problems are over.

Edited by Awazx

On 2019-12-20 at 4:15 PM, Deus-Ex-Vesania said:

Host migration probably gonna mess that up too then, even if they try to make it so everyone can pilot when the host leaves.

To be fair, my experience with host migration so far in Railjack is that everyone abandons mission and doesn't bother to try without the original host.

Edited by DrakeWurrum