Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Some Rivens Are Worth 5000p+

LoneWolveYoutube

12 minutes ago, Midas said:

What if I made it in a week?

felt a bit of aggression from this post, simply adding to the pot that there are people who have enormous stacks of plat, this causes highly sought after Rivens to be catered to them. I’d personally pay 2000 for a Riven at max. Damage in this game is irrelevant honestly. I can probably see the levels going up to 200-300 at max with Railjack introducing level 100 by default.

That's a pretty big if isn't it? But it also doesn't change anything about what I wrote. 

Either way, rivens have no inherent value at the end of the day. What one person might pay, another just won't. So the OP trying to justify demanding 5k is pointless. He doesn't get to decide what the riven is worth, the buyer always does. 

The fix to Rivens being toxic is easy and DE has already implemented the answer elsewhere. Just make them only tradable once, just like kuva liches. This makes them able to be rolled endlessly by the original owner and traded for profit, or purchased by other players if they intend to use them, but prevents players from reselling them.

1 hour ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

That's a pretty big if isn't it? But it also doesn't change anything about what I wrote. 

Either way, rivens have no inherent value at the end of the day. What one person might pay, another just won't. So the OP trying to justify demanding 5k is pointless. He doesn't get to decide what the riven is worth, the buyer always does. 

You're under the impression that I'm trying to sell all my rivens at 5k.  You also make it seem like rivens don't get sold for 5k+ every day.  You're also on console where plat is worth more.

Edited by LoneWolveYoutube

^^ I feel everyone on this thread is bias/passive aggressive, actually that is how I feel about the forums. Overall it would be silly not to sell a riven for 5000 platinum. Is it worth that much? No not all! It is a primary and a Soma with a incredibly low disposition. Can I still sell it for 5000? Yeah and people will buy it lol. Look at Raw riven data released by DE. There are Rivens sold for 30k+ WOWZA people have ootles of platinum hidden in their piggy banks.

23 hours ago, Aldain said:

Because there are people insane enough to spend that much on a single mod.

No amount of "You can't tell other people how to spend their money" can make a bit more than $200 worth of platinum a smart purchase.

It isnt necessarily spending 200$ though. It could be platinum made from trades. And even if it wasnt it's still worth it to some people. 

23 hours ago, LoneWolveYoutube said:

Most dealers have earned the vast majority, if not all of their platinum from just playing and trading. 

This. A lot people say things like "that's equal to x dollars omg!!!" No... not necessarily. 2k, 3k, even 5k plat isn't the same as me writing you a check for 200$.

23 hours ago, Voltage said:

Sometimes the mod completely outweighs its price in terms of uniqueness, and Platinum can always be earned/bought to replenish a purchase. Riven Mods over 5,000 are likely one of a kind.

I enjoy finding "the" roll for my favorite weapons, and I have accomplished said goal. No amount of Platinum will part me with my treasures. Those mods you see in chat are quite the same. They are outrageous because less isn't worth it to the seller.

This. I have several rivens I consider "pretty good" but a handful I consider absolutely perfect. And I wouldn't sell them for anything. 

I can make plat by selling miscellaneous rivens and prime parts but tell where I'm gonna find another cc multi dmg neg impact rattleguts lol

easy answer there isnt any worth that,  people posting the  (crazy wts # cost ) for rivens do it to see if they can sell a high balled price,

flat answer is 3 month cycle nerfs to then bring new meta /high sale rivens into market like clockwork, they have limited shelf life at any value, so people want a easy get rich (in game) quick pyramid scheme. 

honestly id love for rivens to be removed /destroyed, as now as its gone loot box/ pay to win mentality of something that was meant to balance weapon use scales .

but then humans tend to abuse , exploit any system at some point, in some way

3 hours ago, (PS4)Hiero_Glyph said:

The fix to Rivens being toxic is easy and DE has already implemented the answer elsewhere. Just make them only tradable once, just like kuva liches. This makes them able to be rolled endlessly by the original owner and traded for profit, or purchased by other players if they intend to use them, but prevents players from reselling them.

And that would make rivens even more expensive. You want your good rubico riven? Now instead of being able to buy from anyone who has one, you can only buy from the dude who rolled it himself. "That guy" is gonna laugh all the way to the bank if you think that will bring prices down.

2 hours ago, LoneWolveYoutube said:

You're under the impression that I'm trying to sell all my rivens at 5k.  You also make it seem like rivens don't get sold for 5k+ every day.  You're also on console where plat is worth more.

Console player here. And I can tell you even here rivens go for 5k+ all day long. Sure, only the rarest/best rolls. But they do. And some rolls (like truly perfect kohms) can go for 20k+

3 hours ago, LoneWolveYoutube said:

No I'm not. 

Doesn't matter in the slightest. 

Also of no consequence. 

Any other throw away statements for me to dismiss out of hand? 

2 hours ago, Midas said:

^^ I feel everyone on this thread is bias/passive aggressive, actually that is how I feel about the forums. Overall it would be silly not to sell a riven for 5000 platinum. Is it worth that much? No not all! It is a primary and a Soma with a incredibly low disposition. Can I still sell it for 5000? Yeah and people will buy it lol. Look at Raw riven data released by DE. There are Rivens sold for 30k+ WOWZA people have ootles of platinum hidden in their piggy banks.

Yeah, does it show how many time people get hit with bad plat during those high value trades, or how many of them are just cases of a riven trader shuffling their stock and redistributing their plat? 

2 hours ago, (XB1)ECCHO SIERRA said:

It isnt necessarily spending 200$ though. It could be platinum made from trades. And even if it wasnt it's still worth it to some people. 

The first part is nonsense, it does not matter how you got the plat, it's still $200 worth of plat. 

The second part is fine but depends on the modifier "some". Not everyone will have any interest in paying that. 

2 hours ago, (XB1)ECCHO SIERRA said:

This. A lot people say things like "that's equal to x dollars omg!!!" No... not necessarily. 2k, 3k, even 5k plat isn't the same as me writing you a check for 200$.

Doesn't matter. Equate both to time. Time to make the plat, time to earn the money. The money buys plat which saves you from spending the time. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

So the OP trying to justify demanding 5k is pointless. He doesn't get to decide what the riven is worth, the buyer always does. 

Except, you did draw that conclusion.  And yes, the amount of platinum on a platform affects the price.  

I've traded probably 300k p and have not received bad plat once.  In fact, idk anyone whos received bad plat.

If they have $200 worth of plat.  wtf are they supposed to do with it.  buy 100p prime sets and stockpile them?  why not buy stat boosts?

this goes back to my supply/demand point where if they want the rare items they don't have, are they just supposed to wait until a cc multi dmg -imp rubico shows up in trade chat for 500p?

On 2020-01-13 at 3:49 PM, DrivaMain said:

Even though you despise that price, someone else will definitely interested and bought the riven. It’s like the super rich buys a lot of extremely expensive useless stuff even though it’s just a waste of money.

Just don’t think about it. It will make your head sick. 

This.  I don't really see why people care that someone else bought/sold a 10k plat riven... at least aside from some of the scumbag attitudes and personalities that either flock to, or are born out of that scene.  But you have crappy people in every group, that's just life, so whatever...

Its almost entirely hype anyway.  Sure you can spend 5k+ for a "perfect" rubico riven, or you can have some patience and buy a +cc, +multi, +ammo rubico riven that had been rolled a dozen times for ~200p like I did.  Sure, if it was +crit dam instead of +ammo (and had a harmless negative) it would be better.  Marginally, given the current disposition.  Instead of a solo 5-6 shot Hydro kill with Oberon/madurai I could do it in 2-4.  Yipee!  I saved 2 or 3 shots... so maybe 1 second of time saved!  For, uh, 25x the price...  I needed a riven that could break synovia's or down eidolons in 1 mag when playing solo, so having that +ammo not only drastically lowered the price but it also comes in quite handy when 5 shots aren't enough.  

So the god rolls are definitely not worth it for their extra damage output over a good/mediocre roll.  That said, it would be extremely cool to cycle my rubico riven and see it come up +cd, +multi, +cc (or fire/electric) -zoom... I certainly wouldn't want to part with it, and it would take a lot of plat for me to sell it if I did.  So I get it

1 hour ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Doesn't matter. Equate both to time. Time to make the plat, time to earn the money. The money buys plat which saves you from spending the time. 

Uh, yeah. It does. I've made 20k plat since about last friday. From a couple hours per day in trade chat. And I didnt have to spend any real money for any of it. How much plat is worth in terms of money probably depends on how easy money is to come by for any given person but you cant just pretend there's no difference.  Especially when my point was to address the "omg spending x dollars on a riven is silly" argument that a lot of people make on a regular basis around here. Maybe YOU didnt make that point but a lot of people do.

7 hours ago, (XB1)TwinStripeUK said:

No, but saying 'they're not' is.

The only person who honestly believes a randomly generated digital item, unusable outside of one game that can quite literally be devalued at the drop of a hat is worth £266/$350 of real money is a fool by anyone's measure.

I totally understand what you mean, but look at the world around you man lol. People have had so much money it got moldy in a basement and had to be thrown out. Some people think a single McDonalds cheeseburger is a blessing from god.

Different things mean different things to different people.

On 2020-01-13 at 6:22 PM, o0Despair0o said:

That's your opinion.

My opinion is that spending hundres of bucks worth of plat on a riven for a weapon that DE is inevitably going to nerf into oblivion is a waste of money.

Like, if you spend 500 bucks on a new GPU, you get something out of it for years to come.

You spend 500 bucks on a mod and 2 days later it's rendered worthless thanks to DE.

While I agree with everything under 'that's your opinion', that sentence is not true, i gotta say that that is no opinion matter, it's basic economy.

Despite not being real life, it has its own economy, supply and demand, as a riven collector i can assure you that the demand is far higher than the supply.

Even if there were as low as 5 insane people like me, that's still a lot compared to mods that you'll see once or twice, and there are those mods.

These 5 people will outbid each other non stop and that's when you'll see the huge numbers, as simple as that.

None of that insanity affects the the rest of the players in the slightest, expensive mods that don't fall under that one/two of a kind category will be on trade for months dropping and dropping in price while sellers waste finite lifetime trying to scam someone.

Edited by (PS4)cdzbrbr

5 hours ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

easy answer there isnt any worth that,  people posting the  (crazy wts # cost ) for rivens do it to see if they can sell a high balled price,

flat answer is 3 month cycle nerfs to then bring new meta /high sale rivens into market like clockwork, they have limited shelf life at any value, so people want a easy get rich (in game) quick pyramid scheme. 

honestly id love for rivens to be removed /destroyed, as now as its gone loot box/ pay to win mentality of something that was meant to balance weapon use scales .

but then humans tend to abuse , exploit any system at some point, in some way

Randomly inserting the word 'pyramids scheme' there is quite laughable, it has absolutely nothing to do with one.

You pose as a superior being refering to 'humans' while showcasing one of the most human behaviours, envy, there's no other reason why one would want something tons of people dedicated themselves to, to be destroyed.

There's also absolutely nothing being abused or exploited, people have the right to ask for any price for whatever they are trying to sell, market will tell them if they were wrong or right by reaping the most valuable resource: time.

8 hours ago, (PS4)CrazyBeaTzu said:

I totally understand what you mean, but look at the world around you man lol. People have had so much money it got moldy in a basement and had to be thrown out. Some people think a single McDonalds cheeseburger is a blessing from god.

Different things mean different things to different people.

Yeah, but you're talking about perceived value versus actual value. The problem is that Rivens (more than anything else in Warframe) can be devalued by nerfs to the weapon or changes in the disposition, factors completely external to the market they're being sold in (because it's extremely unlikely that the exact same Riven will appear for sale from more than one seller at the same time (if at all)).

To give you another example, a bottle of water would be worth a fortune to a man dying of thirst in a desert, because he needs it and there are no alternative options. If only one person is around to sell water, they can effectively set the price based on their conscience.

Now, if there are several thousand people selling bottles of water, it doesn't lose its value to the thirsty man, but the market can decide what  price they feel is reasonable and if one person decides to undercut the others to make the sale themselves, they can do so (that's the choice of a free market economy). If the man is just simply thirsty (and not about to die of dehydration), it still has value to him, although not as much because it's not an absolute necessity). Sellers can still set prices as high or low as they like, but only an idiot would demand a fortune (or pay one).

So what value does that bottle of water have to the thirsty man, if it could turn into battery acid at any time? Technically it's worth less than the previous two examples, because it can become unsuitable for purpose at any time regardless of what the man or the sellers perceive the value to be initially.

And that's precisely what a Riven is - an item that can become worth less (and sometimes actually worthless) the instant you buy it, and technically of no actual value at all.

I've no problem with people trading, I've no problem with people making a profit, but what I do take issue with is somebody demanding an extortionate price for something and then trying to justify it by claiming that it's just a product of an artificially inflated market (which they themselves seem to have a definite hand in creating).

Edited by (XB1)TwinStripeUK
  • Like 1

99.999999% of rivens  are for crap weapons.    even after the clusterflock of reworks, very few weapons are decent.....try getting a decent riven unlock, it is stacked RNG even before kuva

Not even DE sees this as workable, but they to lazy to fix it a bit.

Nothing in this game is worth that much money.

It doesnt matter if you have 500, 5000, 15000, or 25000 p on your account. Even paying 1-2k p is already stretching it, 5k is nuts.

It doesnt matter if you bought it or farmed it.

Paying insane amount of money for a mod for a weapon that is frankly absolutely useless is insanity on itself. I'd understand paying it and buying if rivens stayed more or less the same but rivens and weapons become absolete in a matter of months if you'r lucky. And while they do give boosts to weapons, theres no content in warframe that cant be done MORE eficiently with simple 4 cp and a dps frame or a group of frames selected for the task. Its like I can at least understand why peopel chase strong weapons in Destiny 2 with its pvp and raids, but in a freaking warframe? To do what? 2 tapping a lich and then squatting on it?

• Like 1