The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does DE have a problem with Mirage?

As a Mirage main and a very devout fan of her, it seriously feels as if she's one of the most ignored or forgotten Frames in the game. She feels like she doesn't even exist at all to DE.

Her signature gun, the Akzani... do people even use it? Do people even remember it? It's just a glorified rapid pea shooter that is just simply not worth getting unless you're looking for Mastery ranks. It doesn't even have a Prime version, and despite being Mirage's signature weapon, it's one of the few such weapons that don't even have an effect related to their respective Warframe.

A Deluxe skin? A lot of the older Frames have already received at least one Deluxe skin. Not Mirage, though. DE even started giving second Deluxe skins to certain Warframes while Mirage (and others I dunno about) are left with nothing.

And I've made a post about her long ago concerning her abilities, and I still think they are seriously in a great need of a rework. They're not completely weak, sure, but the dumb reliance for light and dark with her 2nd and 3rd abilities make using them to be rather wonky and unreliable. The game has a HUGE issue detecting what is light and what is dark in areas, and even if that mechanic does get refined, it's very impractical anyway since you're in Warframe; the game where everyone moves around like ninja fleas. Her 2nd ability also does way too many things at once, most of which are very pointless. Tripping lockers when the AI enemies never even purposely interact with lockers? Tripping Corpus laser grids? What's the point of those? Even those gems she leaves behind rely on light and dark to even deal damage. She's just way too niche, way too finicky, and other Warframes could do her job just as well, if not better. Mesa would be one good example.

Also that feel when they changed Valkyr's Hysteria augment, Enraged, to not drain energy when it's activated since it's no longer a toggle but a fixed duration, it makes no sense to keep that. Yet here's Mirage's ult, Prism, still doing exactly that.

Please give her more attention, DE. A rework, a deluxe, even something concerning the Akzani. At least show that you still remember her. At this point, I'm surprised she even has a Prime...

23 minutes ago, Ankaa-Avarshina said:

They're not completely weak, sure, but the dumb reliance for light and dark with her 2nd and 3rd abilities make using them to be rather wonky and unreliable.

Get ready for Eclipse's multiplicative buff being replaced by additive one (like they did with Chroma), if unreliable aspect ever gets removed.

25 минут назад, Ankaa-Avarshina сказал:

Please give her more attention, DE. A rework, a deluxe, even something concerning the Akzani. At least show that you still remember her. At this point, I'm surprised she even has a Prime...

My previous waifu, Banshee, have not been touched in years. All she received was nerfs after nerfs. Her Deluxe is not my cup of tea. Her Prime looks like a pure embarassment. Do you even know what her sig weapons? Hah. She has no really good tennogen skins, just barely decent.

Zephyr never had signatures, slightly revisited before priming, never had any Deluxe despite DE @#&$-teasing community with it for almost 2 years. Tennogen is... well there is Hitsu's work but that's all about it.

When you say DE forgot about Mirage, I can assure poor harlequin pissed off developers for good. With Prism blinding everything in 50+ meters (nerfed to line of sight blind), seisure-inducing interactions with guns (partially fixed). Some people even found use for her Sleight of Hand builds on ESO.

I don't want to discourage discussion about Mirage with my examples. I just want to point out Mirage isn't the only one ugly swan. There are many.

She is in a better place than a loooot of other warframes :

• Chroma :
    • 1st ability is harmful (which is more than useless actually)
    • 2nd ability is a passive buff
    • 3rd ability is a passive buff too
    • 4th ability is a bit fun and interesting, but halves your armor and consume too much energy for its function
  • Inaros :
    • 1st ability is small blind (effective and fit the character)
    • 2nd ability is just a "immunity" button, with a small passive if you actually kill the target, which almost never happens
    • 3rd ability is about the same exept it consume energy over time and doesn't works for allies
    • 4th ability is passive armor on top of being a variant of 1st ability with lifesteal

• Trinity :
    • 1st ability is a weak version of 4th
    • 2nd ability is just press to get get energy
    • 3rd ability is passive damage reduction
    • 4th ability is press to heal
  • Wisp :
    • 1st ability is just passive buffs
    • 2nd ability is meaningless
    • 3rd ability is an area blind + CC
    • 4th ability is just a random laser

If you look at these frames, all of them are strong but lack of unique mechanic that make them interesting to play or mod with.
Let's look  at Mirage kit, and see how it compare :

• 1st ability make clones that replicate your actions. It can be seen as a random damage buff, but actually does more since it can be used as a way to increase your projectile counts, indirectly your status chances, your melee range, also you weapon area of effect with negative accuracy, etc... It's far more than a damage buff.
  • 2nd ability is an interesting CC tool that rely on the map rather than being a dumb AoE blind or stun.
  • 3rd ability is a blank damage/armor buff but both cannot be active at the same time. It's surely a problem with how light works, but it's still an interesting mechanic and only need a few tweaks to works (maybe a manual switch or light from 2nd ability affecting it ?)
  • 4th ability is an AoE damage ability with a long cast time (so not always easy to use) that can be turned into a CC.

Overall, Mirage is not in a super great places but have interesting unique mechanics and compromises in her playstyle which make her interesting to mod and use. She definitely would benefit from a rework, but she is fine compared to the few warframes aboves, and maybe more.

3 hours ago, Miyabi-sama said:

I don't want to discourage discussion about Mirage with my examples. I just want to point out Mirage isn't the only one ugly swan. There are many.

Yeah I understand Mirage isn't the ONLY one in this position. I'm just a Mirage main, I kinda don't know about the others, you know. If anything... that only makes me feel worse since I know other people share the same sentiments as I do then. And also don't worry, I'm also a Banshee main. But at least she has a good looking Deluxe, yeah...?

1 hour ago, lukinu_u said:

Wisp :

Wisp? Really? At least everything she has is not only powerful, it's also efficient, useful in a lot of situations.

Her "just" passive buffs offer a max health increase, fast regeneration, movement and attack speed buffs (a buff that is rare to get, by the way, rarer to even SHARE with other players), and a guaranteed CC that works not only on applied units but ALSO on the mote itself so it can function like a trap. (Sound familiar?)

...I... have no comment on your comment about her second ability. Do you even play Wisp? Do you even know what that ability does? It's a cloak, an aggro getter, AND an invulnerability giver all in one. Three seconds of solid invulnerability that do not depend on Duration. But sure, it's "meaningless".

Her third ability... you talk as if what you said is a bad thing. At least her blind + CC is quick, easy, AND guaranteed. Mirage requires the dark to have an "instant" blind. She has ANOTHER source of blind but... let me just charge it up... charging... charging... oh I'm dead.

"Random laser". It literally does everything Mirage's ult does, but BETTER. No charging required, CC due to the Heat proc, higher damage (which can be increased by holding mouse button), MANUAL aiming, able to FULLY control where it goes. "Random laser". Mirage's ult is just a bunch of smaller, random-er lasers. That take too long to come out.

• 1st ability make clones that replicate your actions. It can be seen as a random damage buff, but actually does more since it can be used as a way to increase your projectile counts, indirectly your status chances, your melee range, also you weapon area of effect with negative accuracy, etc... It's far more than a damage buff.
  • 2nd ability is an interesting CC tool that rely on the map rather than being a dumb AoE blind or stun.
  • 3rd ability is a blank damage/armor buff but both cannot be active at the same time. It's surely a problem with how light works, but it's still an interesting mechanic and only need a few tweaks to works (maybe a manual switch or light from 2nd ability affecting it ?)
  • 4th ability is an AoE damage ability with a long cast time (so not always easy to use) that can be turned into a CC.

Her first ability is honestly a good ability, I have no complaints about it.

Her 2nd is NOT an interesting CC tool. It's a hassling, confusing ability that is too finicky to use. Using it in light areas? It's a nuke. Using it in dark areas, it's a blind. How are you sure the area is light or dark? Which effect will you get? I've played enough Mirage to tell you that answering those questions is not as simple as you think. Effects should be guaranteed. Something you can predict, and not be screwed over all because the game thinks you're in the dark when it LOOKS like it's under light. I'll take a "dumb AoE blind/stun" any day. At least they work as often as they should. And as I also said in my original post, it has way too many extra effects that are just not practical. Why would it trip lockers and containers when the AI enemies never even open lockers or walk to containers willingly at all? It's not like this is a PvP game and it's meant to trick enemy players.

Her 3rd, I agree with you on this. It's also technically a good ability on paper, but the light sensitivity is what ruins it.

4th... I'm sorry but, I still can't believe you had the gall to say Wisp's 4 is just a "random laser" when it does exactly the same function as Mirage's ultimate, but quicker, faster, stronger, and easier. Look, Mirage's own ability is fine on its own as well, but the energy eating despite not being a toggle like Wisp's laser, and the long cast time... other Warframes can clear a room a lot more efficiently than she can. There's just no point in casting this ability much.

Trinity :

• 1st ability is a weak version of 4th
  • 2nd ability is just press to get get energy
  • 3rd ability is passive damage reduction
  • 4th ability is press to heal

also I do wanna respond to this too, THIS one I agree with. I know Trinity is a very potent healer, the best to be honest, hella effective... but THIS one I agree with. She's just a click on enemies thing with not much uniqueness or strategy to go with.

But then again, a lot of Warframes can be boiled down to this simplicity if you really look hard enough.

She is in a better place than a loooot of other warframes :

• Chroma :
    • 1st ability is harmful (which is more than useless actually)
    • 2nd ability is a passive buff
    • 3rd ability is a passive buff too
    • 4th ability is a bit fun and interesting, but halves your armor and consume too much energy for its function

If you look at these frames, all of them are strong but lack of unique mechanic that make them interesting to play or mod with.
Let's look  at Mirage kit, and see how it compare :

Overall, Mirage is not in a super great places but have interesting unique mechanics and compromises in her playstyle which make her interesting to mod and use. She definitely would benefit from a rework, but she is fine compared to the few warframes aboves, and maybe more.

Speaking as a Chroma frequent, as well as a Wisp frequent, to say that Mirage is better than those two is objectively, and honestly highly misinformed. Considering Chroma's kit requires planning beforehand, as well as timing of what to use is a lot more potent than Mirage in various categories, as in that he shares his abilities by default with his team, while Mirage needs mods to be able to implement the sharing. While his 1 is... well... okay, let's not beat around the bush, it's useless, but it does scale with his 3, and can make it at least a bit more worthwhile to at least attempt to stun or SC an enemy with his active effect. So it's kinda useful? And as for his ult, it's great for CC, and helps hold a position, and for the armor that gets stripped away, it's worth it to at least be able to focus elsewhere. But in the end, Chroma's got quite a lot more efficiency than MIrage, and in so, he's more potent, and useful, a bit bland, but tons more effective.

Il y a 1 heure, Ankaa-Avarshina a dit :

Yeah I understand Mirage isn't the ONLY one in this position. I'm just a Mirage main, I kinda don't know about the others, you know. If anything... that only makes me feel worse since I know other people share the same sentiments as I do then. And also don't worry, I'm also a Banshee main. But at least she has a good looking Deluxe, yeah...?

Wisp? Really? At least everything she has is not only powerful, it's also efficient, useful in a lot of situations.

Her "just" passive buffs offer a max health increase, fast regeneration, movement and attack speed buffs (a buff that is rare to get, by the way, rarer to even SHARE with other players), and a guaranteed CC that works not only on applied units but ALSO on the mote itself so it can function like a trap. (Sound familiar?)

...I... have no comment on your comment about her second ability. Do you even play Wisp? Do you even know what that ability does? It's a cloak, an aggro getter, AND an invulnerability giver all in one. Three seconds of solid invulnerability that do not depend on Duration. But sure, it's "meaningless".

Her third ability... you talk as if what you said is a bad thing. At least her blind + CC is quick, easy, AND guaranteed. Mirage requires the dark to have an "instant" blind. She has ANOTHER source of blind but... let me just charge it up... charging... charging... oh I'm dead.

"Random laser". It literally does everything Mirage's ult does, but BETTER. No charging required, CC due to the Heat proc, higher damage (which can be increased by holding mouse button), MANUAL aiming, able to FULLY control where it goes. "Random laser". Mirage's ult is just a bunch of smaller, random-er lasers. That take too long to come out.

4th... I'm sorry but, I still can't believe you had the gall to say Wisp's 4 is just a "random laser" when it does exactly the same function as Mirage's ultimate, but quicker, faster, stronger, and easier. Look, Mirage's own ability is fine on its own as well, but the energy eating despite not being a toggle like Wisp's laser, and the long cast time... other Warframes can clear a room a lot more efficiently than she can. There's just no point in casting this ability much.

I totally agree on the fact Wisp is overall stronger and more useful, but she is still poorly designed compared to Mirage. She does better, but has nothing unique or interesting.

If I take how you described her ult as example :

Citation

It clearly show how less interesting and badly designed Wisp ult is.

• Wisp ult is an instant laser (no cast time) that does everything at the same time without compromise AND is better that Mirage ult.
  • Mirage ult has a long cast time, split the effect in damage, then blind that can be used for multiple purpose with drawbacks on each of them, and a bouncing mechanic allow complexe use if you can plans ahead the bounces.

Even is Wisp is stronger, what 'm saying here is Mirage has much more unique mechanics and is more interesting to play, which mean she simply needs a few adjustements to have a matching power level, rather than a rework that would most likely destroy these unique features in order to make her "easier to use" (see Saryn, Wukong, and probably more).

il y a 54 minutes, vicariousWrath a dit :

Speaking as a Chroma frequent, as well as a Wisp frequent, to say that Mirage is better than those two is objectively, and honestly highly misinformed. Considering Chroma's kit requires planning beforehand, as well as timing of what to use is a lot more potent than Mirage in various categories, as in that he shares his abilities by default with his team, while Mirage needs mods to be able to implement the sharing. While his 1 is... well... okay, let's not beat around the bush, it's useless, but it does scale with his 3, and can make it at least a bit more worthwhile to at least attempt to stun or SC an enemy with his active effect. So it's kinda useful? And as for his ult, it's great for CC, and helps hold a position, and for the armor that gets stripped away, it's worth it to at least be able to focus elsewhere. But in the end, Chroma's got quite a lot more efficiency than MIrage, and in so, he's more potent, and useful, a bit bland, but tons more effective.

That totally not what I was sayning, more unique features and interesting to play =/= better. The few Warframes in need for a reworks that I listed are cleary much stronger than Mirage, but still need rework because of their poor gameplay, that rely on super strong ability, rather than ones interesting to play that can be strong if used well.

Let compare two hypothetical weapons, to make it easier to understand :

• One is a shotgun with moderate damage and great status, that become a sniper with bouncing shots on aim. Headshot kill with the sniper mode grant an instant reload buff.
  • The other one has infinite ammo, magazine, a super high firerate and deal enough damage to OS most of enemies in a 70m radius.

If you compare these two, the second weapon is objectively stronger because it's stronger and doesn't require the player to be good at the game. Sure it is, but the first one have some thoughts in it, the way it works make it stronger if you understand and master it, it feels rewarding to land headshots, etc...

So in your opinion, which one deserve a rework ? The first weapon because it's too weak and require skill, or the second because it's just an obvious go-to choice on top of being uninteresting to play ?
For me, the answer is the second one. Something strong always have to rely on skillful and/or interesting mechanic that make them complexe to use, rather than being a simple "cast and forget" or "press to win" buttons. (In case you didn't understood, in this example Mirage is the first weapon while Chroma/Wisp are the second)

4 часа назад, Ankaa-Avarshina сказал:

It almost looks like a crowd gathered to comfort you and share their sad stories. ^_^

Honestly the biggest kick in the nuts I got when first tried to Eidolon with Mirage. Kinda there is a moonLIGHT everywhere right? She has to inflict as much damage as chroma right? Hah, naive.

Banshee is simply outdated. Her powers not working on new bosses or enemies, she has neither selfbuffs, nor sustainability. The only glorified gimmick is sonar (which still has stupid spread time and you mash it like old necros), yet also unneeded cuz guns became stronger, and enemies became weaker. I liked Banshee for promoting gunplay and finesse with requirement to hit those weakspots. Today we just blast heads.

So... yeah, there is a lot of stuff has to be renovated and brought up to date.

P.s.

Nah, Soprana is disgusting. I became used to it, now I see it as somewhat nice, but first impression was worse than simple "meh".

9 hours ago, Ankaa-Avarshina said:

Her signature gun, the Akzani... do people even use it?

It's still in my top 5 most used secondaries. It was actually very good back when released, and a silly amount of fun. The only real bbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrt secondary in the game.

10 hours ago, lukinu_u said:

So in your opinion, which one deserve a rework ? The first weapon because it's too weak and require skill, or the second because it's just an obvious go-to choice on top of being uninteresting to play ?
For me, the answer is the second one.

...now I see where DE gets their nerf ideas then. So your idea of balance is to keep the weak ones only because they don't follow a "standard", yet nerf the "plain but effective" ones only because they outshine the weak ones? That's not a good way to look at balancing. That's awful. There's a difference in nerfing overpowered mechanics due to abuse, and nerfing stuff that simply are doing better than the others all because they don't give the weak ones a chance at the spotlight. Why not instead of nerfing those stronger "plain" weapons, why don't you improve the weak but unique ones so that people DO use them more?

Also, you sound really awfully biased in my opinion. Interesting to play doesn't really matter if all your skill and hard work amounts to only half of what the average method could do for half the effort.

It clearly show how less interesting and badly designed Wisp ult is.

• Wisp ult is an instant laser (no cast time) that does everything at the same time without compromise AND is better that Mirage ult.
  • Mirage ult has a long cast time, split the effect in damage, then blind that can be used for multiple purpose with drawbacks on each of them, and a bouncing mechanic allow complexe use if you can plans ahead the bounces.

"Badly designed"? Really? Her ability may be simple, but to say "badly designed" is such an insult. It's not like it's a fire-and-forget ability, unlike, say, Octavia's kit. Her whole kit is all that. Just click your ability keys, and they do all the work for you. Wisp at least should move around, aim her S#&$, she can't even jump or glide with it. If you wanna move around to other places, use her 2 to teleport while channeling the laser.

Your idea of "interesting mechanics at the cost of power" is extremely flawed, because what you're implying is that mechanics that require a lot of work to pull off properly are inherently better than mechanics that are just "simple but effective". But, I'll give you a break, I do understand that some stuff in Warframe do feel extremely cheesy because they're so basic and way too good at their job. Trinity in my opinion is the best example, and the worst offender. She does everything she does perfectly, but way too simply. But your assertion of Wisp as if she's boring, extremely flawed, and your implications that she's unfun to play... that sounds more like a personal opinion than stating a fact. If you think she's unfun, that's fine, but you're presenting her as if she's a prime example of a boring, pointless frame. Along with your terms such as "meaningless 2", "JUST passive buffs", "random laser". Every Warframe can end up that way if you just word it right. And on that note, why don't you attack the majority of the other Warframes then? Valkyr just presses 4 and she destroys everything. Why bother with Gauss' other abilities when you just press 1 to plow through people? Saryn, Ember, and Equinox? 4 4 4 4 4. Don't even bother with any other key, just 4. If you feel the need to defend all these Warframes that I mentioned... then your criticism on Wisp is misplaced.

7 hours ago, Miyabi-sama said:

Nah, Soprana is disgusting. I became used to it, now I see it as somewhat nice, but first impression was worse than simple "meh".

Welp, that's where we differ then. I love her Deluxe and been using it since I got it years ago, lol

11 hours ago, lukinu_u said:

Wisp :

1 - The most interesting and useful buff system in the game.

2 - The most powerful CC, protection and invisibility with a mobility feature that ignores lasers.

3 - Good mass CC with damage and rad prock for more CC new enemies.

4 - Just a laser with debuff potential.

Really, don't put Wisp on a par with bad frames.

She does better, but has nothing unique or interesting.

also I just wanna add... I dunno about you, but slamming down motes to help friends, using my 2 to cross gaps, and plowing down enemies with a ray of pure solar energy is really cool and interesting to me. And I am sure I'm not the only one who thinks that.

On 2020-07-05 at 1:03 PM, Ankaa-Avarshina said:

A Deluxe skin? A lot of the older Frames have already received at least one Deluxe skin. Not Mirage, though. DE even started giving second Deluxe skins to certain Warframes while Mirage (and others I dunno about) are left with nothing.

This made me laugh. After Zephyr gets her Deluxe you are free to complain.

Mirage may not be in the worst placed compared to many other warframes, including several that have received much more recent work, such as Nyx, but I agree that DE seems to have kind of forgotten about her. Her abilities could definitely use a rework, and more generally I don't think she's ever fully delivered on her theme as a master of illusion and light. The two most important parts of her kits are steroids, and one of them is incredibly capricious by nature, which makes her all the more unreliable given that it's also tied to her survivability. For the sake of her theme, her niche, and her quality of life, Mirage could use an update, particularly as there are so many ways she could be made more interesting and enjoyable in a manner that'd fit her identity better than her current implementation (for example, more emphasis on dodging and baiting enemies).

Mirage Prime is my most played frame. She got me through Pluto, Eris, Sedna and T4 Void, and remains great for clearing Fissures.

She doesn't need a Deluxe skin; her Prime skin is perfect in my view. I'm sure she'll get one eventually, but I don't think she needs one.

And her 1 + 3 combo is just about as pure, simple DPS as you can get. Pair her up with a rapid-fire AoE weapon like the Acceltra, and she'll just bulldoze through missions.

Really, the only thing I think she needs is a bit of survivability - she can be a bit fragile. I suppose there is a place for a glass cannon frame, though, and teammates can help.

So yeah, Mirage hasn't got attention because she doesn't desperately need one.

Akzani Prime would be nice, if DE chop off like 0.8 seconds off the reload time. Would go very well with my Khora.

I don't know about the Akzani (don't think I ever noticed this weapon), not every warframe needs an associated weapon, but the whole light/dark thing is nonsense. She's an acrobatic frame, just make it airborne or landed, so you can manually decide what you want regardless of environment. 

Other than that, I'm guessing she procs status better than any other warframe... I don't really see why she needs any more attention than a deluxe skin, they definitely shouldn't be doing second deluxe skins with several frames lacking one. Nova needed it, Ash didn't...

On 2020-07-05 at 12:59 PM, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

She honestly needs a rework.

maybe tone down the damage buffing and add some unique abilities to her that fit the theme of magic/illusion more.

I agree.  Mirage, along with all those other "maintain two buffs" frames could use some help to make their playstyle more interesting.  I think DE could take some inspiration from Guild Wars 2's Mesmers for Mirage.  Right now, her illusions are simple weapon multipliers with a side of visual griefing thrown in for bad measure.  To make them more interactive like the Mesmer's illusions in GW2 would take a full blown rework, but Mirage is worth it.

On 2020-07-05 at 1:18 PM, lukinu_u said:

Wisp :

That part is true.

Mirage that DE don't want deal with it or wished she didn't exist like they did with vauban they are even more "worries" that it might turn out another incident of vauban's old OP shock grenades how it travel half the map with it's shocks or something that I heard the old gal stories.  The fact Mirage is the another power house frame for she been nerf so many time that DE probably said "forget it because we had nerf her so many time and nothing change".

Archived