Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Great Ensmallening

[DE]Glen

On 2020-09-10 at 5:55 AM, [DE]Glen said:

As someone who recently had to attach an external USB drive to my vintage test laptop from 2013 I’m personally very excited to see these changes roll out. I know the download will be inconvenient but getting 15GB of storage back and doubling my effective texture load-bandwidth is going to be awesome!

You should also look at doing a 'clean install' might be better to notify people that the size is smaller now in the launcher itself. get some EA style big block letters 
THE GAME IS SMALLER
I would highly encourage an option for a clean install.
the issue with removing it manually is you lose desktop settings and configs. 
would be nice if we had an option to import our original settings on install

On 2020-09-09 at 5:15 PM, Letter13 said:

Probably not, the textures are being compressed but are remaining the same resolution, meaning the graphics API is still having to process the same amount of pixels when it loads textures into VRAM or manipulates the texture.

On 2020-09-09 at 4:55 PM, [DE]Glen said:

We’re also taking advantage of these “mini-remasters” to make quality and performance optimizations to formats we have haven’t touched since we launched (back when DirectX 9 was our only supported renderer!).

Truly a welcome change!

I hope you can also improve "client optimization" in launcher. It's really strange that optimization always requires free space equal to the total size of the client - that free space may not always be available on SSD filled with other games.

I always wondered why it's not possible to use some workarounds:

- If "client optimization" main purpose is to clear outdated resources from .cache files, why not optimize those files one at a time and break the big files (notably F.TextureDx9) to a few smaller ones?

- If there is not enough space on target drive, why not check it first and look for free space on other drives, optimize client on that drive and rewrite old client on target drive?

- Some other games that I've seen have update mechanisms that don't require that much free space for cleaning and optimization - EVE Online (all client files are unpacked. It's not ideal because there are hundreds of thousands files on drive but patches are minimal and cleaning is lightning fast) and Guild Wars 2 (whole client is one huge single 25+ Gb dat file. Despite that they never ask for more space to do cleanup and optimization)

3 hours ago, Javrendei said:

- If "client optimization" main purpose is to clear outdated resources from .cache files, why not optimize those files one at a time and break the big files (notably F.TextureDx9) to a few smaller ones?

I wonder if it could be break into textures (I assume) grouped by tile-set.

I've had a lot of problems cropping up over the years, things started going downhill some time after the Tridolon update. Lots of it lately involves Warframe absolutely hammering my disk IO.

Hopefully these ensmallened textures will take some of that load off. If not, I really need to profile the damn thing and find out what it's hitting so relentlessly.

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Javrendei:

This. 

Something like:

F.TextureDx9_Main - includes everything from Orbiter to Dojo, Market, etc.

F.TextureDx9_UI - includes UI, duh.

F.TextureDx9_Warframes - includes everything related to Warframes themselves, so, if a new one as added, it's textures go here. Ephemera, Tennogen and Fashion goes there as well.

F.TextureDx9_Weapons - includes just weapons of any kind. As a cell only consists of 4 players with 3 weapons each or less, reading this file should be a breeze. Tennogen Weapon skins go there, too.

F.TextureDx9_Grineer - Includes everything Grineer, Tileset, Grineer Textures, etc.

F.TextureDx9_Corpus - Includes everything Corpus, Tilesets, etc.

F.TextureDx9_Infested - same as the other 2, Deimos stuff is there, too.

This way, the game has only to load from dedicated files instead of a single huge file, when loading into a mission. If any of these are updated and have the need for optimization, only that file is optimized, which lowers the requirement for optimization SPACE drastically. A 6 GB file is faster to optimize then a 31GB one, but in the end, the duration for all files is the same as the huge file. So in case a huge update across all files require optimization, they get optimized one-by-one. Also, smaller files are more easy to defragment. A single huge file has the benefit of being concatenated, but considering how much the game has to load at once from it... Also, it's hard to defragment that, when you are running out of space anyway. A SSD just doesn't care about fragmentation. HDD do and we all know: HDD suck at random access - probably that's why the choice of having a single file came up, as it streams better. 

Another thing could be "sparsing". I sometimes manage to get some MB out of the files by NTFS compression. HOWEVER, if you increase the size of a sparse while you are already at the edge of HDD space, you will break this file. I accidentally trashed a VM that way, because it needed 10 GB and only had 9,5 GB space.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Sokdenumeros:

Got two questions:

2 - Any chance that we can have dynamic illumination and get rid of lightmaps altogether any time soon?

Modern engines use both together. Calculating a small difference is faster than calculating the whole thing.

8 hours ago, Vlada91 said:

It looks the same, all this trouble for 1 big nothing. 

it's supposed to look as same as possible

it actually looks worse, you're just not supposed to notice

all this trouble is so that the game is smaller (remember thread title: "The Great Ensmallening") while looking the same

4 hours ago, Traubenzuckr said:

it's supposed to look as same as possible

it actually looks worse, you're just not supposed to notice

all this trouble is so that the game is smaller (remember thread title: "The Great Ensmallening") while looking the same

i whose looking on my mobile so i didnt notice,but it make sense to look little worse...but i just don't understand why they doing this...its not like COD warzone with 500gb and that they need to do this.it's ridiculous 30gb.in that spend time they need to work on something more important future update and not this nonsense

1 hour ago, Vlada91 said:

i whose looking on my mobile so i didnt notice,but it make sense to look little worse...but i just don't understand why they doing this...its not like COD warzone with 500gb and that they need to do this.it's ridiculous 30gb.in that spend time they need to work on something more important future update and not this nonsense

It might not be important for all users but some do care.
On the other hand less size means less downloading. And that means more money for something else.

I've read recently that DE stated that they have introduced new and cool method of compressing textures (with negligible quality reduction) and that as result, we would have up to 25GB lesser installed game size on HDD. 

Does anyone know more on the subject? Supposedly change should get implemented "next week"

I need to download the game again, but I will wait for few days to get new smaller warframe install if needed. 

I think we might need clarity on the numbers.

Forum post specified 6.6gb, then I saw an article saying 15gb and now 25gb

Given how inflated the numbers have become in such a short timespan I'm hoping this doesn't end up turning into something negative. Right now I'm taking DE at their word and assuming a minimum of roughly 6.6gb but even then I'd rather not force that kind of pressure on them just in case the 6.6gb might be overestimated.

Archived