Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Great Ensmallening: Part 3 (Mesh Accuracy + Sound Fidelity)

[DE]Rebecca

Any numbers on how this (and the past emsmallenings) will affect (have affected) CPU usage, for those on us on potatoes? I could imagine it going either way, with there being less work to do so less CPU usage, or more work to do as the trade-off for the smaller data.

2 minutes ago, __jag__ said:

Any numbers on how this (and the past emsmallenings) will affect (have affected) CPU usage, for those on us on potatoes? I could imagine it going either way, with there being less work to do so less CPU usage, or more work to do as the trade-off for the smaller data.

It's not how it works, since it also depends on how many vertex/poligon count you are using. I'll expect more smoother loading times and nothing else, since file size affects those loading times. A small but intrincated mesh with a lot of vertex/polygons can be more "heavy" on gpu than a giant but plain mesh.

1 minute ago, vanaukas said:

it also depends on how many vertex/poligon count you are using

That's what I was asking about. That and whatever other tricks were used to achieve smaller file sizes. And for the audio, is the codec more, less, or the same in CPU usage?

Just now, __jag__ said:

And for the audio, is the codec more, less, or the same in CPU usage?

This is beyond my basic audio knowledge, but if I understood well they are using a better compression method that allows less noise and more clean audio, CPU usage should be the same

Please DE, make sure Vauban's first ability, Tesla Nervos, does not attack invulnerable enemies, just like Xaku's second, Grasp of Lohk, and Protea's second, Blaze Artillery, for people who play vauban, when they drop a xaku, trinity, titania, or any other warframe that leaves enemies invulnerable it is really annoying when one or all of the robots stick to that enemy immune to damage, it is a very small but welcome change, since you made a similar change in xaku and protea why not do the same with vauban?

1 hour ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

We said when we have something meaningful to say, we'll say it, because until then it's just going to be empty noise and 'we really need to get this done'. 

This'll be useful to quote when I see people asking over in the sub :)

Very neat!

Will this also help address the 'wobbliness' of animations, or would this require a separate pass on compression for animation curves? Or is it a byproduct of how you are calculating skinned animations? Are you planning to address this?

If you're unsure of what I mean, watch your warframe carefully during slow, calm movements, for example while it's performing its idle animation cycle. You can see quantization artifacts, where animated vertices seem to 'stick' to discrete steps rather than moving smoothly.

1 hour ago, (PSN)narrowband56K said:

With cross save is it an issue with the console companies that is making it difficult, or are they ok with it and it's just a matter of meshing up the different versions of the game?

It's the companies. It would be very risky for DE to outright blame the companies so Rebecca has to be careful with her wording. Just imagine it as a sports stadium offering both Coco-Cola AND Pepsi. Almost impossible to do and a 100% deal breaker to judge/discuss freely.

4 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

We are replacing xWMA with OPUS

Thank you for picking an open standard!

Would like some more details on the specific ADPCM format you are using: Microsoft's MS_ADPCM, or a different implementation?

If the issue with cross save is console companies worried about not getting their slice of the pie in terms of platinum sales and other in game items, how about this as a solution:

Digitally tag each account ID with a marker that identifies the platform it was created on. Whenever that player purchases something in-game but outside of their home platform, a small percentage of that sale goes to the home platform. 

If I'm a ps4 user that transferred to PC and I buy plat on PC, then a percentage of that sale goes to Sony. This way Sony isnt completely losing out by me not playing on playstation anymore.

On the subject of sound.

So when are demolist in the disruptions getting there own sound slider and maybe caches on it as well it being bound to sound effects when your all ways attacking make it hard to pin point even if you can hear it.

This being the only reason steel path disruptions are so hard.

Does the term "Mesh Accuracy" also apply to level geometry? Because there are still quite a few spots in lots of tilesets where what should be an unobstructed shot or LoS check is obstructed by a collision mesh that is at least 0.5m from its visual, and it gets annoying pretty quickly if you are using a weapon with no punchthrough, or a warframe with a heavy LoS restriction.

Cool optimizations, but can you make wolf of saturn 6 mask an accessory like cogna mask? i do not like that i need to remove operator helmet to wear this cool mask (the neck is visible through it and the suit is not consistent) also some long hairs look strange with it, the hair near the mask becomes transparent and becomes visible a few centimeters from the mask (they hang in air), please change it i really like ways of customizing, but this mask would look better as an accessory rather than a helmet.

Archived