Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How is Oberon in 2021?

-Vahagn-

So Oberon is an interesting frame to me. He seems to be a mix between a healer and a knight, which does sound pretty cool. 

When I first started Warframe my friends generally told me to stay away from him, which I unknowingly did. Now I see the game in a new light and have grown wiser. I would like to give Oberon a second chance. As I learned my friends never gave him one to begin with.

Now the question is, should I? I never hear anyone talk about him but from what I heard he is just alright.

Do you feel Oberon is worth investing in and even using umbral Forma on? Will he make me feel like a true Knight?

4 minutes ago, -Moctezuma- said:

he is like a poor's man trinity or sum

I feel silly for asking this, but what is sum?

1 minute ago, Aldain said:

An old man yelling at kids to get off the lawn, both metaphorically and literally.

So no deus vulting? :(

Oberon is THE paladin/druid frame in the entire game. Inmunity to status (for every ally inside its range), amazing heals, armor stripping, radiaton procs for any foe... Dude is amazing in the right hands, but as I've said in another thread, every old frame suffers the same fate (trinity, nyx, loki, ash...), being extremely good but not for "fast paced" content, shining for specific task and endurance runs. If you like the theme, his appareance and his kit, I strongly recommend picking him up.

15 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

Oberon is THE paladin/druid frame in the entire game. Inmunity to status (for every ally inside its range), amazing heals, armor stripping, radiaton procs for any foe... Dude is amazing in the right hands, but as I've said in another thread, every old frame suffers the same fate (trinity, nyx, loki, ash...), being extremely good but not for "fast paced" content, shining for specific task and endurance runs. If you like the theme, his appareance and his kit, I strongly recommend picking him up.

Honestly there is nothing oberon can do that wisp can't do better in my opinion. Her heals are better, has radiation procs and better crowd control due to breach surge and electric procs, fire rate buff, movement speed buff and the only counter argument I've heard with any value is the fact that his 4th does more damage and armour strips which is not saying a lot considering the massive amount of power strength needed to make it even worth using but then my counter argument is wisps passive is being able to turn invisible at will and it can't be nullified which makes her even more of a reason to pick her over oberon. Wisps entire kit is just easier to micro manage, build for and is for the most part more effective in every category.

Goat-man needs some massive buffs in my opinion as he is completely overshadowed by other support frames in the game.

1 minute ago, Monochromeatic said:

Honestly there is nothing oberon can do that wisp can't do better in my opinion. Her heals are better, has radiation procs and better crowd control due to breach surge and electric procs, fire rate buff, movement speed buff and the only counter argument I've heard with any value is the fact that his 4th does more damage and armour strips which is not saying a lot considering the massive amount of power strength needed to make it even worth using but then my counter argument is wisps passive is being able to turn invisible at will and it can't be nullified which makes her even more of a reason to pick her over oberon. Wisps entire kit is just easier to micro manage, build for and is for the most part more effective in every category.

Goat-man needs some massive buffs in my opinion as he is completely overshadowed by other support frames in the game.

Status inmunity in a nice range it's good and wisp can't do that

59 minutes ago, WH1735S0W said:

Now the question is, should I? I never hear anyone talk about him but from what I heard he is just alright.

I'd recommend him, he's one of my preferred frames, and his kit is pretty decent, it's just that he's always been a jack of all trades, master of none type of deal. he's a LOT better than he used to be, but since his rework we've had frames like Wisp and Protea that can provide the same services but better: however, an Oberon is usually welcomed with open arms in any game mode and back when I hunted Eidolons, Smite infusion really helped out a lot (the mate has probably changed since then though.

I don't know about the "knight" theme though; he first arrived with the Magistar, a hammer inspired by medieval Cavalry Maces, but that's about it. I'd say Rhino with Galatine feels more "knightly" to me, or even Vauban with his Deluxe skin: literally a steampunk-Knight vibe all over.

12 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

If status immunity was that large of a threat to me I'd use the arcanes that stop it completely but as it stands with slash damage no longer ignoring shields there is not a single status proc in the game that poses any form of threat to a player who can keep there buffs up. The only exception to this rule is toxic but even then whenever an enemy that produces such a status is on the battlefield I kill them too fast to even notice them and in the rare chance that I do get afflicted by the proc the bonus health from wisp safeguards you from getting one shotted by it.

40 minutes ago, Monochromeatic said:

Honestly there is nothing oberon can do that wisp can't do better in my opinion.

Can Wisp solo tridolons while self-buffing for a ton of radiation damage? 😉

Oberon's fine, he's just another one of those frames that were 'forgotten' due to the whole 'must dpsdpsdps' mindset.

vor 4 Minuten schrieb Numerikuu:

Oberon's fine, he's just another one of those frames that were 'forgotten' due to the whole 'must dpsdpsdps' mindset.

It's not a mindset, it's what the game is. That's like saying there's no bulldozers in Nascar because of the whole 'must drive fast' mindset.

2 minutes ago, Numerikuu said:

Any frame can solo tridolons, its not actually that difficult if you have a good amp and decent weapon, some frames do it faster than others but you shouldn't value a frame purely on if it can kill eidolons faster than x frame since due to the mechanics it makes 90% of the weapons and frames in the game not valid. If that's the case then Saryn is terrible because her abilities don't effect them but as we both know saying saryn is bad is just wrong.

46 minutes ago, Monochromeatic said:

If status immunity was that large of a threat to me I'd use the arcanes that stop it completely but as it stands with slash damage no longer ignoring shields there is not a single status proc in the game that poses any form of threat to a player who can keep there buffs up. The only exception to this rule is toxic but even then whenever an enemy that produces such a status is on the battlefield I kill them too fast to even notice them and in the rare chance that I do get afflicted by the proc the bonus health from wisp safeguards you from getting one shotted by it.

You can only use arcanes onw arframes, I remind you that it works* on every  "ally" (that i mentioned on the first post you've quoted) exist in form of companions, specters and defense targets (like arbitration operatives, sortie operatives, lures, bounty objectives in open world areas...)

Wisp is better but Oberon can get the job done. With the right build and depending on what mission you are doing he is sometimes a better pick. Just play whatever warframe you like the look of

He's pretty good actually.

His 2nd ability can cover an large area, confusing enemies like mini-mind control. Combing 2nd and 3rd abilities, you get status immune, healing, and armor for entire group(including pet). I don't use his 1st and 4th much, but I have seen some gun builds around his 1st augment.

3 hours ago, WH1735S0W said:

So Oberon is an interesting frame to me. He seems to be a mix between a healer and a knight, which does sound pretty cool. 

He's a Paladin from World of Warcraft, dropped into Warframe. So yes you are very much correct

Oberon is not bad at all. His healing is pretty good (especially after his buff in 2017), his other powers disrupt enemies and can chain together for more damage. I think his 1 scales off enemy health in some way. That being said, like all old frames he basically needs to spam powers to stay alive at higher levels. This means you're either running Zenurik or chowing down on energy pizzas

3 hours ago, vanaukas said:

Radiation procs are the absolute only time status immunity is relevant. Toxin procs do pitiful damage generally, and Wisps heal+bonus hp out regens the damage overtime.

Armor stripping isn't a bonus for Oberon either, it requires either a lot of strength to do so specifically, or multiple casts that drain your energy. Anyone can just use Helminth and get 100% armor strip for nearly no investment. It's also not as if you can say this requires giving up a mod slot, part of Oberon's kit is tied to augment slots, where as all of Wisp's usefulness is tied to her base kit.

Even with the buffs to healing objectives and companions, this only made Wisp even better. Her motes double apply to companions [they get the buff and increase from link] which makes her motes better than even Oberon's passive that's dedicated to keeping them alive longer.

This is before even mentioning her broken mechanics that I'm not going to get into.

There's a reason why Wisp is used significantly more often than he is. You would only use him over her if you prefer his aesthetics or like his kit, but purely from a performance perspective, she's better than him.

5 minutes ago, Yamazuki said:

Radiation procs are the absolute only time status immunity is relevant. Toxin procs do pitiful damage generally, and Wisps heal+bonus hp out regens the damage overtime.

This used to be true. But these days DE are adding more and more enemies that deal like 300 damage elec procs, 400 damage elec procs, 200 damage slash procs. Status immunity keeps getting more and more tempting each time I nearly get killed by this stuff

19 minutes ago, Yamazuki said:

Armor stripping isn't a bonus for Oberon either, it requires either a lot of strength to do so specifically, or multiple casts that drain your energy. Anyone can just use Helminth and get 100% armor strip for nearly no investment. It's also not as if you can say this requires giving up a mod slot, part of Oberon's kit is tied to augment slots, where as all of Wisp's usefulness is tied to her base kit.

Even with the buffs to healing objectives and companions, this only made Wisp even better. Her motes double apply to companions [they get the buff and increase from link] which makes her motes better than even Oberon's passive that's dedicated to keeping them alive longer.

This is before even mentioning her broken mechanics that I'm not going to get into.

There's a reason why Wisp is used significantly more often than he is. You would only use him over her if you prefer his aesthetics or like his kit, but purely from a performance perspective, she's better than him.

I don't think toxin does "pitful damage", but also I've already said all I awanted to say, for me Oberon > Wisp

12 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

This used to be true. But these days DE are adding more and more enemies that deal like 300 damage elec procs, 400 damage elec procs, 200 damage slash procs. Status immunity keeps getting more and more tempting each time I nearly get killed by this stuff

Every single time I load on arbitrations people die left and right because they understimate status procs... All my builds have some sort of "get rid of status" panic button and most of the time I'm the only one alive reviving other players on those missions, same happens on Steel Path due the increased spawn. I'm not much a warframe player but I have my trusty Oberon ready for some babysitting.

20 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

Agreed.

And status immunity is also immunity to knockdowns and most staggers.  Yeah, arson eximi and those slamdancer Corpus on the Vallis might bounce you a little, but you'll be protected from ancient/scorpion grapples and the heavy grineer knockdowns.

Archived