Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How to auto kill SP grineer?

MaxTunnerX

Question

This question has been bugging me for a long time. How am I supposed to auto kill (without activating something extra) SP grineer? I can auto kill SP infested by using literally anything, SP corpus by using toxin, but for grineer I still need terrify or some other armor strip, which is annoying AF. So what elements do I use on my weapons to auto kill them?

Mostly Im using viral slash on my weapons, I switch to toxin when fighting corpus. Some people say corrosive is supposed to work against armor, but my tests didnt show any difference for the better. Other people say viral slash heat works, and that seemed to work, although it could have just been my imagination. So again, how do I mod my guns so I dont have to bother with any abilities?

Edited by MaxTunnerX

You can't. Enemy armor scaling is still insane despite various overhauls they did and so grineer are still the most durable faction out of 3 through the power of 99% damage reduction.

You need to do something about armor to kill them, or use one of the stupid OP weapons that don't care like one of the Zariman guns, especially Felarx.

• Like 2

It depends if you're talking about SP Grineer or level cap SP Grineer tbh.

Because I really don't know what's that urban legend about Terrify. I've never Helminthed it anywhere, I'm rarely (if ever) using armor debuffing abilities in regular SP (which means Alerts + from time to time some medium endless like ~10 rounds for funzies), and weapons/regular abilities just kills them okay-ishly. Most of my loadouts still have the good ol' Corrosive that's not meta anymore but I'm not struggling against anything really.

If what you're talking about is level 2k+ SP Grineer, well then you start going into dedicated-players area, so yeah, breaking news you'll need min-maxing / meta strategies. But that's niche af and if you're trying to stay more than 6 hours in SP Taveuni, I'd suspect you already have the answer to your own question as no one does that unprepared.

Edited by Chewarette
  • Like 1

If you mean damage over time, then you'll want to look into Slash procs because those ignore armour. Heat doesn't do that, but the procs reduce armour, and that makes armour resist less of the rest of your damage. Heat is also good against Grineer health.

Another good thing about Heat is it won't mix with Viral or Corrosive; you'll want Viral to make enemy health weaker to Slash procs, and Corrosive is worth it if you don't proc slash often.

If you're stripping armour down to 0% in other ways, you won't need Corrosive. If you're stripping it but not down to 0%, then it may be worth modding for Corrosive or Radiation in order to still get damage bonuses from them. But of course Radiation means losing out on Heat and Corrosive.

Edited by Pakaku

Corrosive works fine AFAIC against Grineer in non-Endurance SP,  but that's assuming a good weapon or a buff that makes the weapon good.

If you want to go further than that and don't want to strip armor and aren't satisfied with Viral Slash or Viral Heat speed, it's hard to say.  There are finishers, but that's super slow outside of the current and probably bugged version of Blade Storm.   Or you can stick with Corrosive (or whatever) for a while and keep stacking as many damage multipliers as you can get.  Eclipse, headshots, Xata, maximum crit, multiplicative GunCO, Telos Boltace until it gets fixed...

There are also niche answers like very specific frames, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for.

• Like 2

Im definitely not a fan of endurance runs or whatever. All I want is easy life, and grineer are the only faction that resists my will. It always takes like 3x longer to do grineer SP missions than any other faction (unless Im using armor strip, in which case its easy as can be). Ofc talking only about missions that require killing enemies, the rest is ok as I just ignore all the enemies along the way and focus on the objective. So yeah, if you guys know anything I can do to one-shot-kill grineer enemies just like I do with literally every other enemy, be my guest.

Edited by MaxTunnerX

34 minutes ago, Artekkor said:

You can't. Enemy armor scaling is still insane despite various overhauls they did and so grineer are still the most durable faction out of 3 through the power of 99% damage reduction.

You need to do something about armor to kill them, or use one of the stupid OP weapons that don't care like one of the Zariman guns, especially Felarx.

Well thats what Ive been thinking, but I REFUSEEEE. This cannot be.

19 minutes ago, MaxTunnerX said:

All I want is easy life

Isn't that the opposite of what Steel Path is supposed to be?!?

Sounds like "I want to do the hardest part of WF, but I want doing it the easy way"... it doesn't make much sense to me. SP is for higher challenge.

If you want easy life, why not doing the regular WF? :-)

• Like 6

20 минут назад, MaxTunnerX сказал:

Well thats what Ive been thinking, but I REFUSEEEE. This cannot be.

Before Zariman by solution to SP was Exergis corpus shotgun built for Viral + Heat status punch while playing rhino with like +75% DMG Roar.
Enemies almost never died to the shot outright, but would quickly succumb to the heat ticks. Lancers would die in a single tick, heavier units would die in 2-3 ticks after a headshot or require an extra shot to confirm. Clearing rooms 1 enemy at a time is not very efficient, but its better than unloading an entire mag of some assault rifle into them.

Another one is Tenet Spirex made for +60% Impact and using Hemorrhage Impact > Status mod and ViraHeat of course.. That gun is seriously underrated.

i don't know how helpful this is but my main playstyle in this game is rainbow Damage. Saryn lets me have up to 8 Damage Types (9 even for very unique Weapons) on a Weapon at once. 
that's how i Kill Enemies. i bury them under a shower of Status Effects and raw Stats behind those. i can bring all of the useful Damage Types/Status Effects all at once.
and then what i do is, i just click on them.

that's a very specific playstyle, though.

outside of such specifics, uh, the easiest barrier to entry will probably be Incarnon upgrades.

Generally a Stropha built for corrosive and heavy attacks, with a decent riven, can delete grineer in most steel path missions without doing anything extra.

Also, a heavy attack Glaive Prime will slash-proc kill most all grineer units in steel path.

Edited by Leqesai

Slash proc bypasses armor like Toxin damage does to Corpus shields, the problem is to apply the procs that are strong enough in the first place. The most reliable ways are Glaive Prime, 2h Nikana of choice (like Azothane) or something like Innodem. Viral procs help but there is no need to apply them yourself with different weapon if you run Panzer or Nourish as helminth.

Alternatively you can prime enemies with few procs and use Kuva Chakkur or Arca Plasmor with gundition overload. Incarnon weapons are also great, even Bronco or Lato work wonders.

Phenmor or Laetum will also work very good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaxTunnerX said:

but for grineer I still need terrify or some other armor strip, which is annoying AF

Crit scaling corrosive for base SP (to around 1000ish lvl). Add cold (increases crit multi up to 50%) or heat (halves armor, it is not as effective as full strip but still offers some damage increase). Other option is just forced slash proc and priming, but that is also annoying AF.

• Like 1

You can one-shot or kill-with-one-bleed SP Grineer, you just need the right tools and the right build.  I'd recommend getting yourself a crit-focused weapon like the Incarnon Lex Prime.  Toss on the basics you'd expect for a crit weapon: multishot, crit chance, crit damage, 60/60 mods to give you Viral, and Hemorrhage.  Get some headshots to prime your Incarnon, get a few kills to get your boost your Galvanized multishot and your Secondary Deadhead, and bam, the rest of your headshots should delete the bulk of the enemies you aim your weapon at.

I'll also agree with recommendations of the Glaive Prime and Azothane mentioned above.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pulsar63 said:

Sounds like "I want to do the hardest part of WF, but I want doing it the easy way"... it doesn't make much sense to me. SP is for higher challenge.

Go on. The point of SP is to make it as easy as possible; that’s why the builds and loadouts get tested and optimised 

4 hours ago, MaxTunnerX said:

but for grineer I still need terrify or some other armor strip, which is annoying AF.

What content are you doing that you can't kill them with viral+slash? If you're not attempting endurance runs, you should be fine with most modern weapons (kuva, tenet, some primes, incarnons). I can use Phenmor just fine against Grineer in SP without needing to strip their armor first since it's an absolute bleed powerhouse thanks to the +2000% damage evolution. You should be okay to run whatever frame you like.

If you are using these weapons for non-endurance content, then it might boil down to you modding your weapons poorly. If that is the case, I recommend visiting overframe.gg and look up how some players build their weapons, particularly the ones you like to use.

If you're running endurance content, your list of viable weapons get a lot more narrow. Most incarnons should be good for that level of difficulty and there are some older weapons that can still hold up (ex. Quellor). Warframes also narrow down to those that can completely mitigate all damage (Revenant or Zephyr) or has invisibility (Ash, Octavia, Loki).

Edited by Pizzarugi

If you don't want to use any abilities — and I wonder why? —, you have to pick powerful weapons possibly with a headshot multiplier and equip them with viral and hunter munitions, with both crits and status chance. Here is a list of the strongest options: Bubonico, Kuva Hek, Kuva Chakkhurr (use Internal Bleeding instead of H.M.), Phenmor (inflicting Bleed through status chance of course), Braton incarnon, Burston incarnon, Boar incarnon, Miter incarnon, Torid incarnon, Tenet Spirex (with Hemorrhage), Epitaph (Hemorrhage again), Lex Prime incarnon (Hemorrhage and viral, and this is the strongest option here), Nataruk (don't forget about Galvanized Aptitude). When it comes to melee weapons, use anything with a high slash, status, crits and attack speed. Glaive Prime if you can afford it.

It's important to use primed faction mods because they offer a 2.4 damage multiplier to all status damage. Also consider a primer such as Epitaph or Cedo to proc viral in a large area, or Kompressa (secondary Encumber) for fewer targets.

Note that Kuva Zarr and Kuva Bramma can still work well but you're going to need to buff them with Roar, Eclipse or Nourish, otherwise the damage is underwhelming at high levels.

Last but not least, abilities allow you to enjoy more gamestyles, making your life easier and your weapons stronger. The most solid choice is Roar, which stacks with faction damage mods as a universal one. Also grouping abilities can be devastating, think about Ensnare.

And please use Primary Dexterity and remove Serration and Primed Point Blank, they're redundant. Use galvanized aptitude and savvy instead.

12 minutes ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

You can one-shot or kill-with-one-bleed SP Grineer, you just need the right tools and the right build.  I'd recommend getting yourself a crit-focused weapon like the Incarnon Lex Prime.  Toss on the basics you'd expect for a crit weapon: multishot, crit chance, crit damage, 60/60 mods to give you Viral, and Hemorrhage.  Get some headshots to prime your Incarnon, get a few kills to get your boost your Galvanized multishot and your Secondary Deadhead, and bam, the rest of your headshots should delete the bulk of the enemies you aim your weapon at.

I'll also agree with recommendations of the Glaive Prime and Azothane mentioned above.

Agreed! Lex Prime is such a busted weapon, and I recommend Cascadia Overcharge rather than any other arcanes on it. Many warframes can keep overshields most of the time thanks to CC abilities and Brief Respite.

3 hours ago, Pulsar63 said:

For better or worse, Steel Path became part of "regular Warframe" the instant the devs put cool rewards there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

For better or worse, Steel Path became part of "regular Warframe" the instant the devs put cool rewards there.

Haha. As if players weren’t already trying to make the game as easy as possible with little care for variety before SP dropped.

SP just gives them a reason to do so. If someone’s wondering “Am I doing too much damage for this content?” in SP, the mode designed to be the unbalanced punching bag where a player can bring out their cheesiest most nonsense OP builds, they’re in the wrong part of the game. A handful of rewards for players looking to break the game (which can also be used by others for alternative purposes) does not the whole game make

4 hours ago, Pulsar63 said:

Alright we'll give corpus overshield that resists toxic damage and increase their damage reduction

And the infested? We'll just have deimos variant spawn commonly you know the blast tanky ones

Who's my little masochist Who is it

• Like 2

There's a reson why it's easier to strip armor after Veillbreaker update. Just double/multiple cast ability that reduce enemy armor or use armor striping weapon like vastilok or Unairu armor strip. 

Focussing on one weapon with viral heat isn't advised. But some kuva, tenet, incarnon weapon can mitigate this because they had better stats/evolution.

There's a reason why using secondary as primer and melee as an extra finisher (melee had better damage but you need to get close) exist.

1 hour ago, (XBOX)Mastermitchel89 said:

Alright we'll give corpus overshield that resists toxic damage and increase their damage reduction

And the infested? We'll just have deimos variant spawn commonly you know the blast tanky ones

Who's my little masochist Who is it

Oh yes. DE could really undo all the buildcrafting, component grinding, cheese tactics that players want to employ specifically to turn the game off. They don’t though, instead they leave alone the efforts of players who specifically sought out ways to break the game instead of trying to make a game-breaking build break the game in the hands of a newbie player and not break the game in the hands of a non-newbie.

Which would be weird; a build performing one way for one player and a different way for a different player despite everything being the exact same?

SP players aren’t concerned with “Too much or too little”, it’s all Maximum Strength with no care for that balance point, so it’s kind of silly to try and force a balance point onto players when they very much are trying to avoid it and make it especially clear that they’re doing so

1 hour ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Oh yes. DE could really undo all the buildcrafting, component grinding, cheese tactics that players want to employ specifically to turn the game off. They don’t though, instead they leave alone the efforts of players who specifically sought out ways to break the game instead of trying to make a game-breaking build break the game in the hands of a newbie player and not break the game in the hands of a non-newbie.

Which would be weird; a build performing one way for one player and a different way for a different player despite everything being the exact same?

SP players aren’t concerned with “Too much or too little”, it’s all Maximum Strength with no care for that balance point, so it’s kind of silly to try and force a balance point onto players when they very much are trying to avoid it and make it especially clear that they’re doing so

so grineer and armor are the only things allowed to be over the top but the other factions can be a waste of ram speed because 'the playerbase is used to it' specifically the max miners and min maxers vs everyone else who wants to just finish the steel path starchart with their favourite under powered weapons and warframes. But because one player can break the game the unfair/unrewarding mode change is suddenly easy and fine for everyone else

Oh yes. DE could really undo all the buildcrafting, component grinding, cheese tactics that players want to employ specifically to turn the game off.

If this isn't an issue

SP players aren’t concerned with “Too much or too little”, it’s all Maximum Strength with no care for that balance point,

then buff the enemies to their strengths and weaknesses, since it doesn't matter