Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What made you play Warframe?

Draft122

Because I saw a lot of people started playing Warframe, I wondered why they started playing.

So, the only question here is why did you start playing Warframe?

I mostly want to read the reasons of new players, but anyone can answer.

Btw, I'll answer why I started playing Warframe so you don't need to ask: It's only because someone told me I already played it (I didn't), so I decided to try again this game, and I played it. Pretty dumb, yeah, because there was no particular reason. The reason why I still play it is because I'm a completist, so I can't stop trying to get max rank (but I won't be able to get max xp because excalibur prime and his two weapons give xp that I cannot have because I didn't played the game when the pack released).

Anyways, I want to know why you started playing...

I already thank you for your answers!

12 minutes ago, Draft122 said:

Because I saw a lot of people started playing Warframe, I wondered why they started playing.

So, the only question here is why did you start playing Warframe?

I mostly want to read the reasons of new players, but anyone can answer.

Btw, I'll answer why I started playing Warframe so you don't need to ask: It's only because someone told me I already played it (I didn't), so I decided to try again this game, and I played it. Pretty dumb, yeah, because there was no particular reason. The reason why I still play it is because I'm a completist, so I can't stop trying to get max rank (but I won't be able to get max xp because excalibur prime and his two weapons give xp that I cannot have because I didn't played the game when the pack released).

Anyways, I want to know why you started playing...

I already thank you for your answers!

First major break from WoW (permanently quit late 2022) was back in 2012/2013, so I was playing F2P Steam games like Dota, Planetside 2, and Warframes shortly after release. IIRC, Totalbiscuit (RIP) made a video about it and I tried it out because of him. Warframe was then a secondary game that I'd hop in and play catchup on content here and there, only going 'full time' after quitting WoW.

• Like 3

I have a hobby of doing screenshots, sometimes with custom-written shaders in ReShade and all. Back in 2015, I made a blog to post those screenshots on, and about a year in, someone suggested "hey, this Warframe game is really pretty, have you considered doing any screenshots in it?" and I said that I hadn't played it but would give it a try.

image.png?ex=65b4cbd7&is=65a256d7&hm=f8c

(Somehow, despite then picking it up, I never got around to really doing any Warframe screenshot stuff on the blog until this year; I got too busy playing the game...)

Edited by Packetdancer
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Draft122 said:

What made you play Warframe?

I started playing back in 2013, game had just come out in OpenBeta and my husband found it on Steam, downloaded and started playing. I watched him play for a few days and started enjoying it as love Sci-Fi themed stuff and the game`s style really caught me so i registered and downloaded the game to play with him.

After a few weeks i bought the Founder`s pack for me and him. I still play till this day tho he sorta got burned out by the grind and repetitiveness of it.

• Like 1

I was unemployed after getting laid off and my spouse got me a PS4.  I didn't feel comfortable spending money to buy any games, so I tried the handful of free-to-play games that were available.  I didn't expect any of them to be good, but I was hoping.  And here we are 6 years later, with Warframe being my main hobby.

• Like 1

I don’t remember, but it was probably because of other friends playing it. I knew about the game a couple of years before then, but thought the game looked ugly, so I didn’t jump in at first. I think all I knew about Warframe was the awful-looking old Corpus ships, the very work-in-progress early UI, and the Warframes just didn’t look appealing. I think I saw a screenshot of my friends in the Orokin Void and realised the game could look like something beyond an alpha-stage project...

Edited by Pakaku

I was deep into the Guild Wars community at the time. 2 months after GW2 launched, Arenanet pulled a bait a switch on GW veterans by going back on their word regarding power creep/easy to max gear, which was one of the hallmark features of the first game. I remember I looked for another coop game that doesn't punish solo players. Burned by GW2 I wasn't ready to shell out money back then, and warframe having been F2P from the start just looked very appealing.

A friend suggested the game to me the day it hit open beta, but I was too busy grinding League of Legends. A week later the Riot servers were down so I gave it a shot. 

Now 10 years later I have moved across the world and made a career out of it.:clem:

• Like 14

Not the best story but was looking at the free games and found a couple that looked interesting. Warframe and I want to say Blacklight: Retribution I think, Tried Warframe  for the PVE and the "stealth" , tail end of the founders program kinda regret not getting it now but then vowing not to spend money.  Started playing it got hooked on the dark and gritty vibe (how things have changed) 

Far too many years later - still here and not missing "Super Jump" as a ability

• Like 1

Its kinda funny story actually. I accidentally installed Warframe a few years ago, because I was looking for Warface (MMO shooter). Then I stayed in Warframe and BTW Warfrace wasnt as good as I thought when I played it later.

Edited by MaxTunnerX
  • Like 4

Stumbled across one of Akamikeb's "Crash Course in Warframe" videos way back in the day (Volt's, I think). Thought the game looked interesting so I gave it a go myself. 10 years later it's still one of my faves.

• Like 1

I was the last FireFall, from Red 5 Studio, player in their game when they shut down the servers. I miss Copacabana and the players towers we did when bored, (sigh) such good old times.

I was already interested in Warframe from the trailers I already saw by that time. Tried it and here I'm 8 years later. The triggering spark is alive still.

I played a lot of Diablo 2 for years then David Brevik was working on a game called Marvel Heroes. It was like D2 but with marvel superheroes. I'm a huge diablo and comic nerd so that was like the perfect game for me. That game crashed and died hard and I was left without a game for a couple years.

Then my oldest son was like 12 or 13 and found warframe on steam. He wanted me to play it with him. I said I'd try it but I'm picky about the games I play and probably won't like it.  I'm also not into shooter type games.

Anyways, I always start argps with caster/mage so I'm used to a slow start until I lvl up and eventually melt faces. I had to pick Mag as starter frame. Magnetic mage named Mag. I get to be lady Magneto. This is happening.

Then I find out the game is a bit grindy, has like 40 playable characters, 500 weapons and cat and dog companions. That's my type of game.

The more I played the more it felt like DE really nailed some of the old rpg character class archetypes so I felt comfortable in the environment they created for those characters. It felt old and familiar but new and exciting at the same time. Kind of hard to describe but no other game has had the same feeling for me.

• Like 2

A few friends recommended it and I watched them play it but wasn't too interested. I looked through the wiki and checked out the frames, saw Zephyr, and thought "Wind bird frame"? Sign me up. And here we are, where Zephyr is my main and the overwhelming majority of my frame usage.

I was playing PvP games a ton and got so fed up with the toxicity and competition that I started playing solo games - which I liked much better but still missed the interaction with people, so then I took up Destiny, and then after that I took up WF. Dropped Destiny eventually and never looked back.

Warframe has my heart, it's got some deep flaws and things that really irritate me but it's still the best game I've ever played, and I've played a lot. If I was going to make my own dream game, it honestly wouldn't be too far off from what WF already is, just with different styles/themes/designs and priorities.

I love games with deep customization and with a little bit of sandboxyness, love a good story, love SFF - WF nails all of that pretty well, and I like the devs and like the community, and it has the best player-friendly monetization of any game on the market besides being F2P in the first place. It's truly the best of everything and I hope it stays that way, I'll be with it for as long as it does.

I bought a PS4 just for Monster Hunter World. Had like 6 months until the game was release so I also got Kingdom Hearts 1+2 HD. That didn't last long. I still needed something to pass the time until World was release so I just downloaded Warframe. Knew about it for years. Seen lots of friends play it. Still playing since Plain Of Eidolon update. Glad I'm still here for the game.

It’s been a while; I made an account back before Parkour 2.0 (my favourite update), and I think I was just looking for something sci-fi and the potential of the movement system caught my eye.

It was clunky, but I wanted to try and get good at it, and then the revamped Parkour system came.

I sort of bounced off ultimately though since there wasn’t a lot to do and not much linearity aside from just gaining more power (which I found kind of meh, and ultimately it turned out even that’s not so linear either). Came back around Fortuna and approached in a different way than my newbie mindset, and the game started falling into place and opened up so much I stuck around because of what it let me do and then it just kept getting better (with some minor hiccups that I don’t necessarily blame DE for, though that doesn’t make them blameless; looking at you, Duviri Intrinsics)

Edited by Merkranire

From a friend of mine, who wasn't always a friend but we discovered we had things in common. He introduced it to me and another of his pals,. For me it was on/off at first, i'd come back to it, then leave it for a month, then come back. Eventually it stuck and now Warframe is my favourite game, even beating out majora's mask, which is not an easy feat for me.

• Like 1

I was a heavy FPS player but family responsibilities limited my time in grinding skills. So started WF solo which let me pause mid game. The 2013 experience was a bit lackluster but it kept me interested til this day.

I was originally told about the game by a friend who, at the time, had recently gotten his PS4 (the latest console at the time), and he had downloaded Warframe to try it, he said it was pretty great and recommended I try it when I upgrade. I did, and then tried it.. and honestly, I couldn't believe how this FREE game looked and the gameplay was addicting. I'd played more than a few shooters over the years, including thousands of hours invested in the Borderlands franchise from PS3 all the way to now as a whole. but nothing with the movement, weapon variety or style that Warframe had. 

that was back in 2015, and I've rarely missed a log in since. in that time this game has reached immense, unthinkable heights, and is almost completely unrecognizable now from how it was back then. it hasn't always been smooth sailing, but I fully intend to stick around for another decade or longer. this game and it's community is a part of my life, and one I cherish!.