(XB1)EternalDrk Mako

Umbra warframes [Discussion & Appreciation][*spoilers*]

I've got to disagree.

Personally i don't like the idea of more Umbra warframe (Umbra formas are well accepted though).

Excalibur Umbra could be considered as Exclaibur prime's substitute for all the players who don't have the prime version and because all prime versions of all warframe will exist in the future, their substitutes (Umbra versions) will not be needed.

Also, the addition of more Umbra warframes may lead to lore problems (or maybe not, that's just my assumption).

I believe that there will be more umbra warframes in the Future, however, i also believe that all Umbra Warframes will not have a Primed Version, which can mean two things:

• Some Warframe we have right now will never get a primed, but receive an umbra version instead
  • Any new Umbra Warframes will not have a "normal" counterpart

Take your pick, this is all just speculation on my part, though.

I guess we either get all Vanilla Frames (their Primes are a bit lame optically) or just the starter frames as Umbra. If it is not tied to this I am hoping for a Nyx Umbra.

Posted (edited)

that one on the horse looked like oberon umbra... would love to see hallowed ground 2.0

Edited by cookieknife

i guess this should be a Dax, and to to me does not look like oberon at all

2 hours ago, Steru said:

I've got to disagree.

I don't think is a matter of whether anyone 'agrees' or 'disagrees', DE have already been on the DevStream saying that yes there will be more Umbral style frames, but not all frames will have one. The reference made here:

2 hours ago, GnarlsDarkley said:

but DE clearly said these will NOT become Primes 2.0. So we will only get a few selection of them

Is completely correct too.

Basically, Excalibur Umbra is a unique variant of the Excal frames, but the process that made him 'umbra' is not unique, and other 'umbral' frames exist. Maybe not precisely named 'umbra', but they'll be similar things.

As Excalibur umbra is made by Ballas and by making a infestion, I guess maybe in the future other umbral frames would be created in other ways and other purposes as the story goes on.

We don't know.  Pre Excalibur Umbra drop the devs stated not every frame would have an Umbra variant and that they wouldn't be upgrades over primes.  I think they might have also stated in the same discussion that they were not sure if they were going to do more than one or if it was just going to be one.

Considering how that quest went down I'd say the possibility still exists but I don't think it's incredibly likely we'll get more.

13 hours ago, evilChair said:

No sources other than old-as-ball(a)s philosophy - just the swamp man paradox should be enough:

Essentially, the underlying idea is that a perfect copy will be functionally not indistinguishable, but functionally identical to the original to the point that if A and A' were to be placed into separate but otherwise ideally identical situations, their behaviours will be perfectly identical without even the possibility for divergence. Then again, this view relies on something of a deterministic view of physics, but I personally find it hard to doubt that two brains sharing identical structure could in any way differ. Structure is brain, brain is choice.

source for experiments is hidden in the sacrifice images and trailers

excalibur umbra was subject 9 in the attempt to create umbra excalibur 

unknown.png?width=1403&height=445

13 hours ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

source for experiments is hidden in the sacrifice images and trailers

excalibur umbra was subject 9 in the attempt to create umbra excalibur 

unknown.png?width=1403&height=445

i meant a source for the whole "identical brain means identical person" thing, but this is interesting as well. odd that we get english sprinkled in with orokin (which says [ahwæ̮ɪkɛn]/awaken), since that means that in-universe "english" is spoken orokin.

the shape of the bolt reminds me of spira, or kunai.

If they do decide to make more "umbra" frames, I hope it's only for the original launch lineup. They tend to have the most simplistic prime variants.

Personally though, leaving it at just Excalibur seems more meaningful to me. It's basically just the prime for everyone who couldn't get it back in the day.

21 hours ago, LilAdam said:

As Excalibur umbra is made by Ballas and by making a infestion, I guess maybe in the future other umbral frames would be created in other ways and other purposes as the story goes on.

Just to clear up; all of the original (Prime) frames were made by Ballas using the Helminth variant of the Infestation. The differences between frames comes from the person, the individual, that was used.

For example, Excalibur Prime was the first, because they used a Dax soldier for it (which is why Umbra is an Excal variant, the original person was also a Dax) at least that's what we're led to believe. That's why the Mirage Prime trailer has the voice over that it does; apparently the person used for Mirage twisted the design Ballas had, changed the abilities in some way he wasn't expecting.

So the reason there can be other Umbral frames is because Ballas took a similar person to the one used to make, say, an Ember Prime, and their personality was strong enough to twist the abilities into something a little different, but still become an Ember variant.

I think its adorable people are still trying to pretend our warframes aren't our Capture targets, infested and forced to be our puppets 😉

• Like 1

There were references in a number of Sacrifice promotional images for 'Subject number 9'  and 'Subject 10'.

That's about as far from a guarantee as you can get, but it's there.

I believe Excalibur Umbra was added as a substitute for Excalibur Prime who is founder's exclusive. As no other frame is founders exclusive there is no reason for DE to make other umbra frames.

• Haha 1

The three starters and Loki since he had a history of being a starter. Beyond that, only up to the original eight frames, no further. God help us if Saryn Umbra is ever conceived. 

• Satisfied 1

Just now, D3ATHTAED said:

I believe Excalibur Umbra was added as a substitute for Excalibur Prime who is founder's exclusive. As no other frame is founders exclusive there is no reason for DE to make other umbra frames.

They have said in the past they want to do more than Excalibur.

Lore wise there are more, but implementation wise says that there is no need for them, excal umbra was juts to give regulars an excal prime while not giving them the exact thing so they gave us umbra

• Applause 2

1 minute ago, BansheePrime said:

Banshee. Because I'm biased as all hell.

I didn't know hell was biased

• Applause 1

Id say it be a great way to encourage and implement updates to older frames that desperately need them but already have primes. Vauban, Mag (even though I am learning/finding fun with her but still she could really us a face lift), possibly Loki (just to make him a bit more than 'I press 2' or 'I press 4' and make him a bit more synergistic), Nyx, Banshee possibly, frames like that, that could really use a face lift/synergy implementation but do to there primes already being out a face lift do to a prime coming out wont really be feasible, but doing a Umbral and then doing one then? that would be cool.

Other than that, yeah, we dont really need more. Umbral excal was to quite down the constant outrage that people had over the founder exclusive Excalibur prime, now all the stat buffs can be happy as Umbral excal is just straight better, and only the EXTRA whiny people will complain about it. Nothing else is really exclusive at this point, so other than to just make even more power creep, i see no reason to have more Umbrals (especially now that Umbral formas seem to be a thing that will be happening for Nightwave seasons from now to the future and not just a one off thing).

maybe someday we get umbra infestation that infested the normal frame just infecting them one at the time as slowly the awakening of the frame becomes rampaging though couple cities while we are trying tame the umbra families.