Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Deluxe Skin Concept Art revealed during Reddit AMA

JesterTheNight

1 minute ago, peterc3 said:

I wasn't aware I was talking to the DE art department. Your point is undermined by using words like "usually" and "typically" which imply this is not necessarily the last version that will be modeled. 4th pass, labeled final pass, which is just getting to the set in stone area? Can you cite any of this being specific industry lingo?

So...I don't understand what you want me to say? I'm clearly not the DE art department, hence why I used words like "usually" and "typically". Those words imply that "going from the way DE usually acts...this is what will happen." I've been here since 2013, and have actively read the forums since then. So you're trying to say that if I'm not DE, then I cannot give my guess as to what will happen, even though I've been around long enough to see the trends? Are you implying that I should not put my opinion on the forums about my favorite frame, in hopes that DE will read this thread? What is the point of the forum then? DE has proven over and over again that they sometimes listen to player input, so what is your problem with me expressing my displeasure about Volt's 4th pass final concept art? Maybe DE will listen, and give us a different Volt deluxe (and give this concept to someone else more fitting, like Nidus). That was my purpose for posting in this thread.

I'm not sure what your purpose is in arguing that apparently I should know 100% accurately that this is the final concept before I express my unhappiness with it. Have you never heard of trends before? People use them to project estimates in anything from business to science, because, as I'm sure you know, it's impossible to measure the future.

Either way, at this point, I'm starting to feel like you're arguing with me just to...simply argue perhaps? If that's your intention, then I have no interest in going further in this conversation, as it doesn't move the thread along, and it's also forcing me to repeat myself several times. Let me make this clear—I have no beef with you. I simply wanted to say that I did not like this concept and I hope it will not be the actual deluxe skin for Volt. That is all, I wish you a good day. 

On 9/16/2017 at 11:26 AM, Dunkaroodle said:

I miss Ignus. 

hold up. There's something very interesting happening if you've been paying attention:

Ignus went first, he designed a bunch of the greatest deluxe skins this game has ever come to see, then when he got booted, Mynki took over. Now personally, Mynki is total utter garbage. His designs (such as Oberon prime, nova deluxe and a few more like that) are TOTAL utter garbage and always have such a weird design. I think Mynki also designed the volt deluxe along with some upcoming ones.

The mag deluxe just so you know, was designed by ignus. Now, the new guy that's been drafted in, we've so far only seen ONE piece of work, which is the Octavia deluxe, and from that skin alone, I can now die in peace. I am SUPER SUPER hyped for this new guys work because it looks SOOOOO much better than Mynki and ignus put together IMO.

DE needs to see if Ignus Dei is willing to try again or talk to some of the tennogen creators since some of them are really damn good at what they do within a limited system, cause that volt "deluxe" is simply awful.

Edited by Nurmetya

18 hours ago, Arniox said:

hold up. There's something very interesting happening if you've been paying attention:

Ignus went first, he designed a bunch of the greatest deluxe skins this game has ever come to see, then when he got booted, Mynki took over. Now personally, Mynki is total utter garbage. His designs (such as Oberon prime, nova deluxe and a few more like that) are TOTAL utter garbage and always have such a weird design. I think Mynki also designed the volt deluxe along with some upcoming ones.

The mag deluxe just so you know, was designed by ignus. Now, the new guy that's been drafted in, we've so far only seen ONE piece of work, which is the Octavia deluxe, and from that skin alone, I can now die in peace. I am SUPER SUPER hyped for this new guys work because it looks SOOOOO much better than Mynki and ignus put together IMO.

I still prefer Ignus, myself. All his skins had an almost regal, deific elegance. Nova deluxe just looks like rotating lego.

Mynki didn't take over from Ignus. Mynki was the Artistic Director for Warframe from the beginning. He had a direct hand in all regular frame and prime designs(from ember to mesa and everywhere in between) until he left DE in February of this year, at which point Geoff (the animation director) took over.

52 minutes ago, Dunkaroodle said:

I still prefer Ignus, myself. All his skins had an almost regal, deific elegance. Nova deluxe just looks like rotating lego.

Mynki didn't take over from Ignus. Mynki was the Artistic Director for Warframe from the beginning. He had a direct hand in all regular frame and prime designs(from ember to mesa and everywhere in between) until he left DE in February of this year, at which point Geoff (the animation director) took over.

Keith Power designed the first 7 (8?) frames when the game launched.

2 hours ago, Dunkaroodle said:

yeah, but mynki left over some work, such as oberon prime and nova deluxe. I don't want to be mean, but I'm kinda glad he left. His designs where very strange (IMO) and I didn't really like them. I did really like Ignus yes, because his work was really good and was actually put into the game, unlike the new guy, whom so far we've only seen a single concept piece, not even an ingame item yet.

I will hold out for the new guy because that Octavia deluxe shocked me to the core cause of how awesome it looks, but I will always love the work Ignus left behind.

3 hours ago, JesterTheNight said:

Keith Power designed the first 7 (8?) frames when the game launched.

He helped design them and likely came up with the core ideas, yes, but they would not get implemented without the Art Director's input. Geoff designed the first concepts of Excalibur. 

2 hours ago, Arniox said:

yeah, but mynki left over some work, such as oberon prime and nova deluxe. I don't want to be mean, but I'm kinda glad he left. His designs where very strange (IMO) and I didn't really like them. I did really like Ignus yes, because his work was really good and was actually put into the game, unlike the new guy, whom so far we've only seen a single concept piece, not even an ingame item yet.

I will hold out for the new guy because that Octavia deluxe shocked me to the core cause of how awesome it looks, but I will always love the work Ignus left behind.

Mynki did not design Nova Deluxe himself, he just approved it, as per his position. If I recall, the skin was actually designed by a dude with a heavy french accent who appeared briefly on some stream.  

Strictly speaking, it is unlikely Mynki had any real say in the direction taken for anything past Banshee Prime and Octavia. He may have had input on the earliest concepts of Oberon P, but he couldn't have been around for close to it's completion. Personally, I was a little sad Mynki left. Part of his eclectic artistic vision is what ingratiated Warframe to me way-back-when. He really did share his personal touch with the entire game - part of what made the aesthetic so special. I wonder how Geoff will continue things. 

3 hours ago, Arniox said:

I don't have any disrespect for Mynki (as I have no idea what actually went on between him and Ignus, and Ignus himself admitted to getting heated), but I have never really cared for Mynki's art direction or personal style much. I have always tended to prefer both Ignus and everyone else on DE's art team.

It's nothing personal to their former art director though, as art is so subjective, but Mynki was never really much to my taste. 

This along with the Octavia skin that was revealed... Why are these "Deluxe" skins being designed with such an...Organic mindset?

I was hoping for some slick and shiny beauty like Chroma Dynasty. Not these skins that are trying to look like Nidus.

In the case of Volt, it's probably just a result of DE's neverending obession with the Grineer and Grineer stylings.

Edited by Zandermanith222

I don't like this one bit.

With the recent Quaro and Arca armour, and the Taxon sentinel etc. I'm really itching for something in that vein. I'm getting tired of the organic, fantasy and just plain weird designs on recent frames. Give us something with more of a tech / corpus styling for once.