Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Plains of Eidolon: Facts & Fundamentals of Focus 2.0

[DE]Rebecca

19 minutes ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

Since you are insistent on forcing Focus into the Operator movement, all I ask is this: rework the Operator movement. Give them better animations. Make them more mobile (not necessarily faster).

For example, instead of requiring us to crouch and then Void Dash, just make Void Dash function like Limbo's Dodge, where you just press the Roll button to Dash. That way, we're not required to crouch and then jump. We can dash independently of crouching. Please pass this on to the devs.

My overall point is this: if we're going to lose the Focus benefit to our Warframes and are required to use the clunky Operator movement to take advantage of the Focus benefits, then please make the Operator movement as smooth and straightforward as possible. One of the big issues with Operator combat right now is the terrible movement system.

The residuals affect our warframes and it's the same as bullet jump 

I have 2 questions:

1. Will the operators be able to dodge attacks, for example by rolling?

2. Are you planning to change drop locations of lenses from sorties to, for example, Lua? Currently you get focus after the Second Dream, but can't do sorties until after completing the War Within, so you are locked out of different trees for a period of time. Of course the quests are not far apart, but still.

7 minutes ago, Vaporoxgaming said:

Isn't that why people don't play Saryn that often anymore?  Because her abilities are next to useless without being forced into combinations?

1) 200+ range 100+ strength

2) Spore one enemy

3) Gas ignis him and his friends

QUESTION ABOUT THE UNAIRU ARMOR PASSIVE:

Is this a flat armor boost or is it going to be a % boost like the current one?

I'd much prefer it be a smaller flat value that adds to base armor and scales with mods. This way it'd be valuable for all frames and open up customization options for all frames. The current boost is weak to begin with, but absolutely useless for low base armor frames.

31 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Zenurik:

Firstly - 'What about Energy Overflow'? On the public build Energy Overflow worked passively for a single player, and we are experimenting with an active, more powerful party-wide buff. Focus 2.0 currently has a placeable party-wide energy buff in Zenurik that stacks with other Zenurik users - think of it like an area-of-effect energy restore consumable that Void Dashing can create. We will follow up in the Update notes about other areas of Energy gain.

Unairu:

Your Atlas is rocking out on a mobile defense mission, when suddenly you a nasty Nox comes your way! Switching to your Operator, you Void Dash through the enemy, sundering some of his armor and crippling his damage output. You remain in Void Mode near your teammates to grant them invisibility as they deal with the enemy from the safety of the shadows.

Standing still is pretty counter-intuitive to the core gameplay of WF. Also, unless you have energy in the first place to cast some CC, standing still at high levels just means death.

Unairu doesn't sound very satisfying either. The Void Mode bonus boils down to "hold ctrl so everyone but you can have fun."

Not sure how I feel about Madurai requiring you to hold back before unleashing your power. Madurai is described as the DPS-oriented Focus, and the idea of waiting in any way seems to kinda contradict that. Madurai is described as "a swift, uncompromising onslaught, holding nothing back and recklessly attacking foes".

Waiting for a bit and then attacking doesn't exactly translate to "swift and uncompromising" as far as I can tell. Granted, the focus descriptions might just be lore tidbits, but I'd like if it followed both the description and the intent for Madurai to be DPS-oriented a bit more.

EDIT: To add to this, Warframe is a game built around mobility and speed. That's what our current movement and gameplay systems (for the most part) are built around. It's even described as such in a few devstreams by the devs themselves. Requiring the player to slow down a bit in order to do damage or use their abilities in general kinda goes against this design philosophy. Hopefully as this revisit of Focus develops we'll see some more steps taken to make the mechanic both more efficient, more seamless, and faster.

So Zenurik's Energy Overflow is being replaced with the operator spawning Energy Pizzas instead?

Or is it replaced with running 4 Energy Siphons instead? Oh Brother...

Also, is the Warframe gonna stay immovile while I try to get energy? Am I gonna have to leave my Squishy af Caster Frames vulnerable so I can make them playable again? Back to Valkyr it seems...

31 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:
  • Once you activate the Operator for the first time (i.e Second Dream activation style or simply calling out the Operator), this remains for the whole mission.

So as soon as I load into a mission and tap 5, that will automatically activate my focus passives for the entire mission?

If this is the case, then I appreciate not having to wait for the five minute cooldown anymore. But "calling out the Operator" seems like an unnecessary step. If I can get the passives as soon as I want anyway, why not just have them be active throughout the entire mission, regardless of what I do?

4 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

*snip*

What purpose dose the residual wait period serve mechanically? Why not have them always active? I know that we like to have triggers for events, it makes the game seem more interactive, however it is always more fun to be on the bus than to be waiting at the bus stop. Since Focus came out this has been an annoyance and time gate that serves no purpose. 

Residual Starting Node: Mirror Flare. A Residual effect that Reflects damage back at attackers.

Look at the growth charts between mob damage and mob HP scaling. The reason why reflecting damage back at the attack does not work is because their damage is made to hurt Warframes who have only HP+Shields in the thousands. Mobs can have hundreds of thousands of HP. I'd say have the percentage damage reflected be affected by power strength or some sort of modifier that would make this buff significant. What would be WAY BETTER, is having this ability proc a corrosive proc and remove a huge chunk of EHP from the mob. 

each second spent cloaked significantly increases the damage of the next attack.

This will only work well with an increased energy pool to keep you in stealth for. It would couple well with an ability that increased operator movement speed while stealth. As is, stealth does not last long enough for this to be very useful or wanted. 

On top of the above the big question is, Why use the operator when you can just use your frame? 

Focus abilities and reworks should be the answer to that question, people should want to go into these modes instead of just dropping an energy pizza or being Loki and making a Grineer Bombardier take a Tigris prime round to the back of the head (nothing personal). Just give us a real reason to use this new system and justify gutting the old one and nerfing everything to the ground. 

thanks

3 minutes ago, PookieNumnums said:

The residuals affect our warframes and it's the same as bullet jump 

Yeah, but we're required to hop into Operator mode instead of essentially having a fifth Warframe ability. That 5th ability-like functionality is what we're losing.

Operator Void Dash being like bullet jump doesn't make it ok for the Operators, who can't slide while sprinting, meaning you have to stop and crouch and then jump. Really don't understand why you're so resistant to something that would literally be an improvement (and it would, because it removes the requirement to crouch first). You must be a big fan of the current Operator movement mechanics.

On 9/29/2017 at 3:03 PM, (PS4)Vagnar said:

Thank you for giving the Warframes benefits from the new system. That was the major point of contention for me based on the initial discussion on last devstream.

It seems they decided to do an about face on the original plan after it was criticised, which is good if true.

EDIT: Specifically for DE, if you are reading this. Another contentious issue is in regard to the mobility of the Operators. I posted this suggestion with video examples of how to convey Operator mobility better, on the 27th page, but I feel it might get lost in the shuffle, so I am linking it here on the 3rd page.

Now, as some people seem to be assuming, its entirely possible that you are indeed making the Tenno Operator more mobile and are just keeping it as a surprise, but I highlight this issue just in case because of how important it is to the flow and fun of the game. Though if this has not actually been considered and worked on then I must say that maybe you should launch Cetus, without the Focus 2.0 changes for now. Both the Focus and Operator it relies on are looking to need much more work with these passive and buff changes, the flow killing Transference reliance, and the potentially still inferior mobility of the Operators.

I also implore that you take pause and reflect on the potential quagmire of creating more combat and challenges, that can only be achieved through use of the Operator. Its just Kuva guards, Teralyst and Focus useage now, but you will no doubt want to introduce more exclusive enemies and hurdles that can only be achieved with the utilization of the Operator. Not making Operator utility optional, is something that can potentially hurt the focus and appeal of the game significantly, let alone the flow.

I've read it three times and I'm still confused over how the cross focus passive unlock things works, especially unclear on the part on how many passives you can actually have at a time unlocked and active from different schools. Maybe I'm just not reading it right, but I feel like the wording is really ambiguous. 

Overall this looks really solid, and I think people will get used to it and not freak out so much after all. 

1 hour ago, -RAW-Pheronia said:

GOOD JOB! Who is using channeling in 2k17 lol you clearly destroyed all of our focuses and lenses we bought with platinum. For what? Channeling effiency YAY! When there is something good and players wants it that way you guys always change it.

:sadcry:I use channeling still...

Another little thing that's semi-related to the topic at hand: the delay for clients when transitioning from Warframe to Operator. 

All the scenarios given as examples seem to rely on quick action, and based on the intent for this rework I'd say quick action is the focus (pun). When you play as client, there is sometimes a small but noticeable delay when undergoing the Warframe-Operator transition. Can something (hopefully) be done about this?

Ok. Digital Extremes, I have had a look through the listed examples, and on reflection, my first thought is that it sounds pretty worrying. Please go through this with me.

Naramon:

We will go over an example of a new Naramon combat scenario: 

Your Banshee is under heavy Corpus fire - a barrage of Supra projectiles are coming toward you. As a Naramon Tenno, you engage Transference and enter Operator Mode and Void Blast an enemy with a Disarming Blast. Your beam has a high chance to disarm all enemies unlucky enough to be caught in its path! You return to your Warframe and make quick work of the now weaponless enemies.

That sounds familiar. In fact, what it sounds like is the Vaykor Sydon. You all remember how the Vaykor Sydon's passive works, in that it builds up a charge as you block attacks, then unleashes a radial blind after fifteen attacks. The Vaykor Sydon is the most perfect example in the entire game of a mechanic which sounds interesting but which is literally 100% worthless in play. You have to stand there and block fifteen attacks, then you can blind a couple of enemies and you have just enough time to perform two or three Finishers before the blind wears off. If you are using the Vaykor Sydon, its passive is never, ever, ever, ever going to be a better use of your time than instead just dodging the enemy fire and then killing the enemy.

I mention this because what you've outlined here sounds insanely clunky. If you are under heavy fire, you can:

a) Manifest your Operator
b) Get close enough to use your Void Blast on the enemies which
c) Has a chance, not a guaranteed effect but a chance to disarm them, allowing you to
d) Pop back into your Warframe and kill these disarmed enemies.

Or, you can just bullet jump and instantly avoid all of that incoming fire from the Supra-heroes.

@[DE]Rebecca

Are there circumstances under which using my Operator to do this is a tactically superior option compared to just bullet-jumping out of the way, hitting the Corpus Techs with any power which might cause them to stagger for a second, and then killing them all that way? Is this use of the Operator actually better than just using Warframe mobility and weapons?

1 minute ago, MarrikBroom said:

Operator mode has movement that feels chunky

This is my number 1 problem with Operators, even more than the current lack of energy. I really want better movement mechanics for the Operators. I don't care what buffs Operators get; if the movement is still clunky, I won't want to play with the Operators.

I hope the cooldown isn't increased every 45 seconds per skill unlock. Unlocking a whole tree felt so pointless. Missions tend to go by so quick you'd never even be able to use your ability once before it was over. Unless its a endless type that you did for more then 1 rotation I suppose.

Archived