Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Coming Soon: Devstream #112!

[DE]Rebecca

Howdy [DE]vs,

1. With Saryn's recent rework, there's some faily obvious power creep working its way into the game, but I, among other players, feel that Saryn's power level is appropriate considering the state of the game and the need to farm late game content in order to get actually desirable rewards. In terms of adjusting to the power creep, are there any plans to adjust other + future warframes to meet this power requirement? Or are there any plans to maybe scale down the power requirement of enemies in order to prevent power creep via weapons and warframes?

2. Warframe's play-to-win grind-until-you-die model is obviously necessary for the survival of the game, but has there ever been any discussion around reducing the amount of grinding in meaningless, drawn out, boring missions in favor of grinding in more rewarding missions types? For instance, most players completely ignore a majority of the starchart because these missions dish out negligible rewards, and instead turn to high level endless missions where they can stay as long as they want and hope to get the one singular drop they want. (As a note: boss fights are EXTREMELY good mission types to have players grind through, as beating a boss feels rewarding just as a game mechanic, but would also be rewarding from the standpoint of actual drops/rewards). I know there was some work on Excavation by Glen a couple years back, but if I remember correctly, his work only enforced the idea that Warframe missions should be long, grindy, and feel generally meaningless until every 5 minutes when you get a random reward.

Big Questions Big Sorry, I just really would love to see Warframe meet its full potential and I don't think it's currently on track for that

is there any plans to rework the Operator movement system  to give them some better mobility for example giving the Operator the original movement system so they are not better than the Warframe  but not completely useless in map traversal

Melee is the reason I play this game, and it's more fun than its competitors by a very wide margin because of this. (I can't stand gunplay - aiming for headshots is just not my thing, never played with toy guns as a kid, hate playing with guns in games - originally, I avoided Warframe like the plague, because I didn't know anything about the melee, and only saw guns being used).  The very existence of the dual bladed polearms drew me to the game immediately, because so few games include them, or do them justice.

With the current re-design of core melee gameplay systems, I have the following 3 questions/concerns:

(just a note: I've never used "spin2win", nor do I have any mods that would make that efficient)

---------------------------

* Stances and their combos seem geared toward one-on-one battles with enemies roughly the same height as the warframes, despite this being a one-vs-horde game vs variously shaped enemies that sometimes fly or crawl as they come in on attack vectors that melee attack patterns do not reliably intercept. They have never felt good to use (at least the ones I've tried. They'd be great for the warframe version of Street Fighter you're working on, but not the game in general.) (and just going to mention that "Charged attacks" are NEVER useful to me, because enemies move around so much, and we're locked in place while charging.)

Rapidly using quick attacks has always felt more fluid and more efficient than any string of combo attacks - especially polearms, that can hit both flying and crawling enemies, but only during the quick-attack patterns, and become ruined as a weapon when I try to use stances.

As I have faced harder and harder enemies (Pluto now), without the strongest of mods available for my weapons, enemies aren't dying to my melee quick attacks - it's become more like chipping away at mountains with a screwdriver... so I've been relying more and more on Inaros, slowly blinding a group and using finishing moves to kill enemies one by one, and it's beginning to be quite clunky and boring (which is better than impossible, but could be a lot more fun!). Stances and their combos do not help in these situations, rather they make them worse most of the time, locking my character into animations in dangerous situations. (I know there's going to be a way added to cancel out of these, which is one good step in the right direction.) At least one of the basic sparring fist style combos ragdolls stronger enemies away, instead of keeping them locked down where I can beat them into submission... now they get their chance to recover, stand back up, and be in a prime position to attack me again - I haven't encountered a single instance in my adventures where I'd want that result, for example.

The question: Are the re-worked stances going to focus on viability in fighting hordes? Are they going to acknowledge the various angles and planes of attack that the enemies take to reach us? Are they going to be effective in Warframe's actual gameplay, and not just look fancy and special?

-------------------------------

* Closely linked to the above: The combo meter and heavy attacks consuming it. Without the focus school that extends the combo timer, I find the combo meter never really impacting my gameplay. I haven't used mods that increase that either, nor have I used mods that capitalize on the combo meter, because I generally don't have a combo meter built up, DESPITE KILLING EVERY ENEMY IN EVERY MISSION WITH MELEE WEAPONS. I move through maps slowly, hunting down every chest, scanning every object, killing a few enemies here, a few there. The combo meter just doesn't work for me. For me, it's not worth investing in (it feels like a game mechanic that benefits those who don't need it - already strong enough to wipe out enemies really fast? Here, kill enemies faster with more power! - it also seems that this mechanic is required for scaling melee damage into the endless missions when enemy armor and HP just becomes crazy and doesn't scale well at all - not a reason to keep in the way it is, but a reason to re-balance scaling of enemies in endless content!). In this regard, I will likely be one of the least impacted melee players in Warframe when your changes go through... I may actually get a power bump, if I start using heavy attacks mixed in with my light attacks, to spend it before it's gone.

The question: Will heavy attacks, that consume this quickly depleted resource, be strong enough to justify investing in the mechanics involved? Will light and heavy attacks need to be mixed into stance combo patterns, forcing you to consume combo meter points to use normal combos? It just doesn't sound like we'll be able to "build up" combo points to spend them on the enemies that need the extra oomph to take out, if we're spending the entire combo meter during normal combos...

---------------------------------

* Channeling. Seems like a good idea. There are lots of mods for it. It's thematically neat. It's got "Cool Factor" going for it... but I could never bring myself to give up mod slots for a conditional part of my frame that isn't always on, rather than buffing stuff that's always a part of the experience. The energy drain that enables Channeling was eating up the resource that made the warframe I had chosen... the warframe I had chosen... without abilities, it wouldn't really matter which frame I was; Without energy, you're nothing in Warframe. Channeling eating your energy the way it does, and EVEN WORSE WITH MODS, just relegates it to a niche thing to MAYBE play around with some time in the future, for me...  and now that future won't come, because it's being changed... into Blocking only?

No question on this one... just my comments about why channeling failed for me... and insight into how it could be changed to not do what it's doing to hamstring itself.

Channeling could be changed into a sort of spoiler-warframe hybrid/super-charge mode, directly using spoiler-power from the void to amplify not only melee attacks, but all warframe abilities. I don't have access to spoiler-mode myself, yet, so it's not much of a trade-off for me... maybe others would be against this idea if they like spoiler-mode more.

----------------------------------

That's it for now. I hope these concerns are addressed during the stream.

My questions:

- A long time ago, when Wyrm and Shade were the only Sentinels, there was mention ( during Devstreams ) of Sentinels possibly hacking things for us. Has this been abandoned, forgotten, or just a low priority?

- Why do we give samples of Orokin technology ( Forma, Potatoes, Prime parts ) to Syndicates/Baro Ki'Teer? How does this maintain the Balance?
Please give me a lore-related reason to do this, even if only a little ingame queue of the Lotus giving me the OK to help out these Syndicates and/or Baro Ki'Teer.

Questions:

Should Peculiar Mods drop from eximus enemies? They just drop Oberon's parts and no mods, peculiar mods for peculiar enemies.

Is the Lanka ever going to get its own model, or is it always gonna be a snipetron clone?

We're in 2018 and ziplines still have no textures...

We were shown some concepts of Archwing enemies being remodeled to adress some scaling problems, that was years ago, did work ever start on that?

Is the event to get those Dark Sector gun skins still planned?

A Sentient dropship was shown at some point, is that still coming?

Has a new Orokin hacking minigame been decided? Is it being worked on?

Could the past events come back Plague Star syle, or if that goes against lore, use Simaris to "simulate" these past events?

Is the Nef Anyo boss rework being worked on, maybe put him on the Venus landscape? *wink wink, nudge nuge*

Why can't we have the comics stories (not talking about the comics being sold, talking about Rell, Hek and Suda ones) in the codex? Having some parts of lore being scattered all over outside the game (youtube prime trailers, comics on the official site, comics being sold) isn't that pleasant. We can get fanart in the game, surely we can get official stuff in 🙂
About that, can we just have a lore section in the codex? Past events lore, quest recaps, some of the prime frames' lore notes, stalker scanning, simaris scanning, comics, prime trailers, kuria, Lotus mails etc. once unlocked/published it should all go in one section intead of being spread all over the place.

Can you please comment on the current controversy over chat moderation and censorship?

In my opinion, I don't think it's DE's job to tell people what they can and cannot say.

It would be fine if the filter simply censored words DE doesn't like, but it's a whole different thing when players can be punished just for saying words, because that's instituting morality on other people. And that's not cool.

Warning: Lots of questions. Pick at least 1 that nobody else had written. DE may open the spoiler.

Spoiler

1: 'Flydolon' when?
2: Will Hunhow try to raise Eidolon from the dead?
3: Is the 2h-Katana user going by the nickname 'Kratosframe: Bane of Sentients'?
4: Does Ballas know about Stalker and Hunhow?
5: Sentient armcannons?
6: Other hijackable vehicles, like the Dargyn? Would you consider the Hijack Rover from Corpus missions for a hijackable vehicle? How far will you go to experiment with the vehicles? Will Tenno get any vehicles other than the Landing Craft and Archwings, like a Warframe for our Warframe (Warframeception)?
7: Will Duelling rooms get the same treatment as the Custom Parkour room?
8: Pet Golden Maw?
9: Is that Excalibur's back in the main pic?
10: Any other Warframe revisits, like Nyx and Chroma to name two?
11: Will there be any little 'Codex tabs' for weapons, like there are for some Primes? Will we get more walls of Codex text? Will there be a contest on this?
12: Ever since Octavia's Anthem, would Hunhow end up picking up a Mandachord as part of a bug in his system and begin broadcasting classical music in an attempt to allure Natah back to his side?
13: The gilded shadow will be claimed and will be allowed to wield the Executor's Blade; do 2h-Katanas work with Excalibur's passive?
14: Dojo decor in the Orbiter; expanding the Orbiter by adding a staircase to the Operator's quarters, or some kind of ramp to allow for further personalization?
15: Ever considered a javelin-type weapon? It's the arrow and quiver, but without the bow. It's the speargun without the gun part. Uses bow fire control. Uses speargun throw/equip animations. Alternatively, how about a spearcrossbow? A throwable crossbow spear! 
16: Sentient weapons crafted from Batta  and Concu; Hunhow fighter limbs.
17: Will there be such a thing as a Corpus Dragon proxy? It's basically a Razorback with a Bursa head and Raptor wings which can fly and, in true dragon fashion, is a literal bank.
18: Will Ordis and Helminth ever try to negotiate with eachother? 
19: Can Warframes drink Eidolon Phylaxis to immunize themselves and not suffer the anti-fashion that is the Cyst?

With the recent and upcoming balance pass and changes to weapons, has there also been any thoughts in doing something similar with mods, especially ones that many players tend to not really use?

2 hours ago, AuroraSonicBoom said:

Hey DE!

Would it be possible for you guys to release a set of gear that shares its mastery with Founder gear, so that if you level up an item(ex. a sword with linked mastery to Skana P) you wouldn't gain mastery points for it unless you dont have the corresponding founder gear? That'd be a fair way to let non-founders catch up in terms of mastery without breaking your vow of exclusivity.

Just.Let.Them. Have.Their.Perks.

first.

can we get a live demo of the new U.I. ?

second.

will there be a new tile set when sacrifice comes out. the only reason I ask this is because for the second dream and war within quest, we got new tile sets. will it be the same for sacrifice or no?

and third

can we get a teaser for what the big reveal for tennocon will be. something similar to POE's teaser with the pond.

And last.

can we get an ETA on the Hydroid prime trailer and Zephyr prime trailer

Since PoE, we got several updates, improvements and fixes for drivable Dargyns (and their addition to the game in the first place) and now some in-progress vehicules for the Venus open world. 

2 Questions:

- When will Archwing be improved so it can be usefull/worth playing in general? (Or will it get the Trial treatment and get removed from the game?)

- Why did you focus on Dargyns and other vehicules rather than the already existant Archwing?

Archived