Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hildryn: Devstream #123

Lewtenant

On 2019-01-23 at 7:00 AM, Birdframe_Prime said:

Knowing the way they've played this kind of thing in the past, they'll have one ability or specific function that gains shields and over-shields, either in the same vein as Harrow, or as part of her passive that lets her... gain her shield back every time she performs a specific action.

On top of that, this is likely the return of the sentinel mods, with the Taxon's abilities, the Shield Charger mod and that one that instantly restores your shield to full if it goes down. With all of those as backup... and the fact that everyone forgets Shield Restores exist... I don't think that economy on her abilities is going to be much of an issue.

However, what she needs is Lore.

Aside from Revenant, who had a small Lore-based line on him, there's Khora, Garuda and Baruuk who got nothing Lore-based in their releases. Considering that the six frames before that all had some kind of quest or Lore around them, and that if you skip Nezha and Wukong (who were for the Chinese Release) every other frame has been some kind of Boss drop or quest-related frame right the way back to 2014... Having these newer frames be pure grind rewards has been... weird.

Khora had this wonderful build-up with the collectables that pointed to her being on the Plains and part of a quest... and then nothing, she was Sanctuary Onslaught loot. Garuda and Baruuk weren't even given that much.

So hopefully Hildryn and Wisp will have actual Lore, whether or not they're superior frames to anything we already have.

I strongly concur

On the flip-side we also have redacted or conflicting Lore in terms of Valkyr screams coming from Alad Zanuka Torment...yet enter Valkyr Prime retaining screams (Although Hunhow did refer as "Orokin called Alad V" & then infamously Nova being a modern council (DC) Warframe and then that being changed to accommodate Orokin Era Prime.

Even so there was lore, that is definitely missed from Baruuk & Garuda. Which is odd considering we are missing Syndicate quests from Steel Meridian & Arbiters of Hexis. (Maybe 2 of these upcoming new frames will utilize those Syndicates)

Potentially since even Baro has Inaros Quest, Darvo and Mario could have specific quests as well as a Tenshin (Conclave Syndicate) Quest-derived frame. (Would love to see Arcata or Lunaro themed Conclave or Arcata count as a separate weapon that replaces both melee and gun for modding Ball separately from Arcata)*

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, (PS4)MrNishi said:

Even so there was lore, that is definitely missed from Baruuk & Garuda. Which is odd considering we are missing Syndicate quests from Steel Meridian & Arbiters of Hexis. (Maybe 2 of these upcoming new frames will utilize those Syndicates)

Hildryn seems like Steel Meridian material, TBH.

On 2019-02-07 at 6:36 AM, 000l000 said:

RNG is always worse than anything else. Everyone is gonna farm reputation at some point anyway.

People will grind standing, to a point. How many people actually have full elevate sets? How many people have full exodia sets from operation standing? We don't actually know these stats. There's a limit to these things, and this is the first syndicate and mission to lock mission content behind another faction grind wall. Yeah we don't think of this because we were playing and maxed imperium standing before vox.

Also can we just acknowledge that Baruuk's blueprints are backwards?! The blueprint is at the lower stage, and the components are at the next tier. It should be the opposite, so people can farm the materials for the components and build them before getting the damn blueprint.

23 hours ago, DrBorris said:

Warframe: The game where rewarding/encouraging players to play the game is apparently a bad thing.

You gotta put the carrot close to the horse to make it run man. Putting 400k standing between a player and 1 warframe is obscene. It's the longest time to farm of any frame, by far (now that khora's drop rates are fixed). Just cause you already had solaris standing maxed before vox was even locked it doesn't feel as awful. 

1 hour ago, Lewtenant said:

You gotta put the carrot close to the horse to make it run man. Putting 400k standing between a player and 1 warframe is obscene. It's the longest time to farm of any frame, by far (now that khora's drop rates are fixed). Just cause you already had solaris standing maxed before vox was even locked it doesn't feel as awful. 

So Kitguns, MOAs, and all of the other rewards of Fortuna just don't count? By your logic Trinity is a (obscene) 40 hour grind because you need to get through the entire Star Chart before you get to Pluto. Obviously this is an "obscene" way to look at this, the initial star-chart progression has a ton of other rewards along the way.

You are not grinding Fortuna just for Baruuk, there are dozens of other things. Baruuk is just one of many rewards.

7 minutes ago, DrBorris said:

So Kitguns, MOAs, and all of the other rewards of Fortuna just don't count? By your logic Trinity is a (obscene) 40 hour grind because you need to get through the entire Star Chart before you get to Pluto. 

If you had to be suraah with cetus before you could do orb vallis content then the kitguns and moas would be a baruuk level grind. That's not the case.  Also Trinity is easy to get because other players can taxi you to the pluto assassinate. Also trinity prime is available through twitch prime. 

Straight to the point...

Her abilities look absolutely incredible! She's a breath of fresh air. I was not a fan of her aesthetic, but her kit MORE than makes up for that! Of course we don't know how mods will interact with her skills, but no matter. She looks interesting, she has synergy and she doesn't have copy-paste skills. I'm genuinely very happy with how she was designed. You can tell actual effort went into her abilities (unlike Revenant haha).

Just one question, she has her own dash/roll animations, that much is clear. But did they mention the purpose of it besides the obvious dodging?

Edited by (PS4)LoisGordils
  • Like 7

I just do not understand one thing, the 2 of it spreads an enemy's status to others?

Ex: if grineer 1 has proc of toxin and i use the skill 2, i'll spread the toxin to another enemies?

Edited by Peter

In all honesty I'm curious as to how she's going to work with zenurik...

In regards to the frame, in all honesty nothing felt particularly 'new' to me and I'm waiting on the zephyr fans to complain about ANOTHER flying warframe before zephyr as well.

Side note: I'm all for mixing up the mechanics of things here and there but I think DE will need to be careful if they take modding too far away from what is 'expected', we already get newbies who have no idea about adding mods to changing up how mods on specific frames might not be such a wise idea.

• Like 1

Just now, LSG501 said:

In regards to the frame, in all honesty nothing felt particularly 'new' to me and I'm waiting on the zephyr fans to complain about ANOTHER flying warframe before zephyr as well.

Side note: I'm all for mixing up the mechanics of things here and there but I think DE will need to be careful if they take modding too far away from what is 'expected', we already get newbies who have no idea about adding mods to changing up how mods on specific frames might not be such a wise idea.

u meant the operator regen energy field?  Eh that probably work like the same way picking up energy orb because she doesn't have energy slot, it goes directly to the shield for sure and if you have shield and energy for operator to give warframe that, really your going for the king spray.

3 minutes ago, ChaoticEdge said:

u meant the operator regen energy field?  Eh that probably work like the same way picking up energy orb because she doesn't have energy slot, it goes directly to the shield for sure and if you have shield and energy for operator to give warframe that, really your going for the king spray.

Yeah I'm assuming it will work in that way too but it's also entirely possible that using zenurik completely breaks her lol

1 minute ago, LSG501 said:

Yeah I'm assuming it will work in that way too but it's also entirely possible that using zenurik completely breaks her lol

Yup and basically her ability can hold enemies....for really replace vauban, welp there is only 1 thing to do.

over-spray-over.jpg

truly just over spray everything.

10 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

I think zenurik will give her nothing... its energy and she dont have a way to store it.

8 minutes ago, ChaoticEdge said:

Eh that probably work like the same way picking up energy orb because she doesn't have energy slot, it goes directly to the shield for sure

Nope I think its useless with her.

11 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

I mean, it's a better hover than what Zephyr has *shrug*

1 minute ago, DerGreif2 said:

I think zenurik will give her nothing... its energy and she dont have a way to store it.

Nope I think its useless with her.

Well you will never know until you try it, it could work for sure and probably we probably broke the game with her then again we had thous regen shield mod so basically we already broke the game even more.

I've been thinking since the first time I saw her why they decided to give her an obvious ancient scandinavian name like Hildryn. Well it makes sense now because she will in effect be a sci-fi shield maiden. I'm just curious if they used ryn as an inspiration from the word for runes or if they took it from the welsh in this case. 

Either way, the name either means Battle-rune or Strife-rune if ryn refers to runes and if it is inspired by the welsh Ryn her name practically means Battle-ruler. Cool either way in my book. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DerGreif2 said:

The most problem will also be: 1 hit= lose 2000 shields in high level... and she dont look like she has anything more than CC... I dont think she will be good. I hope I am wrong...

If that happen they might buff the shield for it and just spam the daylight making a mod probably call it "Strengthening Shield" for it has core element to reduce incoming elemental/status effect to dmg the shield.  It is proven the shield can block bleed which try it on the corpus and it blocks fire better then the grineer would do and whole bunch stuff, plus if it is knockdown we have knockdown resistance mods

41 minutes ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

I was actually impressed to find that I was right with her... Abilities for shield gain, massive base shields, and the Shield Gating mechanic in action... I absolutely called this as the tester frame to see if it works.

I just hope her shields wont just be shields, because if they are she is nothing but Rhino with boobs and a different looking (and worse) Iron Skin i.e her shields.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DerGreif2 said:

The most problem will also be: 1 hit= lose 2000 shields in high level... and she dont look like she has anything more than CC... I dont think she will be good. I hope I am wrong...

Her passive is a type of shield gating. Or after a certain amount of shields are destroyed she enters an invulnerable state for a few seconds(?) 

Yeah, I think the shield will be garbo at higher levels but if you throw on a crap load of recovery and supplement mods on 'er and a companion I think Hildryn will be fully stocked most of the time. Also, the shield gating ability (depending on how long it lasts) will always insure the meter will return at least a little bit.

1 hour ago, SneakyErvin said:

I just hope her shields wont just be shields, because if they are she is nothing but Rhino with boobs and a different looking (and worse) Iron Skin i.e her shields.

Shield. Gating. That's right my friend ^^ Shield. Gating.

As a concept, this is something DE have been discussing over and over again and saying that it's something they're not sure whether it actually works in Warframe due to how damage is treated.

With this we have two instances of Gating, both the Overshields and the main Shields, meaning that we can literally get sniped by a level 300 and it still won't be a one-shot.

That, and with over 4k shields with just a Redirection on her (which is apparently what they did for the showcase), literally no Energy costs on her abilities, two abilities that restore shields and clear Status... I mean, what's the issue with Bleed and Toxin going straight through shields if she can literally press 2 and clear them?

Yeah, no, she's going to be fine.

• Like 1