- News ligthning and ships skin soon

- News open world soon

- Look link soon

- end games soon

- new player expérience soon

this need to stop.

it needs to stop soon :3 

sorry couldnt help myself you walked into this soon meme trap

Honestly this might be because DE is spreading itself too thin, there's so much on the table but not enough developers or time to make sure they release in a reasonable or timely fashion.

I am fully against any form of developer crunch time, but Soontm isn't nearly an answer to anything either.

Only thing we can hope is that post Empyrean they can stabilize their project management and focus on one thing at a time.

• Like 2

Il y a 3 heures, Aldain a dit :

Honestly this might be because DE is spreading itself too thin, there's so much on the table but not enough developers or time to make sure they release in a reasonable or timely fashion.

I am fully against any form of developer crunch time, but Soontm isn't nearly an answer to anything either.

Only thing we can hope is that post Empyrean they can stabilize their project management and focus on one thing at a time.

+1

8 hours ago, Aldain said:

Not according to what they themselves are saying. DE is a studio of some 300 people and all they ever work on is Warframe. I mean, you can argue that they're lying or exaggerating, but that's still a lot of people to be working on the same bit of content. Throwing more money and more people at a project doesn't always make it go faster. In a lot of cases, spreading your developers out is a good way to get more use out of their time.

9 hours ago, Aldain said:

If you are fully against crunch, then you should have just stopped typing. Things will get done when they get done, otherwise they will need to crunch to get it done by a specific time.

The players have none of the info to determine what is reasonable or timely for a feature to be completed.

Honestly, this is speaking out of both sides of the mouth from the players and I hope the devs keep on ignoring it.

Edited by peterc3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Steel_Rook said:

Throwing more money and more people at a project doesn't always make it go faster. In a lot of cases, spreading your developers out is a good way to get more use out of their time.

It depends on the scale and just how many interlocking parts are present, I am aware that there are diminishing returns on employees and staff, but I just sometimes worry about things like that, after all we have no clue how things actually are at DE, at least not in great detail, my concerns could be unfounded, or they could be real, or somewhere in between, I guess we'll never know.

Also there is the question of just how much they have on their plate at the moment, I mean we have a 3rd orb mother, 2 Warframes, Railjacks and Empyrean, Melee 3.0 part 2, the Corpus Ship rework, and whatever else is supposedly coming like that damage overhaul Steve tweeted about that was supposedly coming around with Empyrean, I mean to me that seems like a large amount to have in a pipeline at the same time, but I couldn't say for certain.

Thankfully you didn't miss the point of my original post though...like a certain somebody who posted after you who assumes by saying "Crunch is bad, but Soon doesn't really answer much either" that I must be demanding DE rushing the content out. My only concern is that having too many goals can cause things to slip, either on time or rarely on quality.

Edited by Aldain

4 hours ago, Aldain said:

It depends on the scale and just how many interlocking parts are present, I am aware that there are diminishing returns on employees and staff, but I just sometimes worry about things like that, after all we have no clue how things actually are at DE, at least not in great detail, my concerns could be unfounded, or they could be real, or somewhere in between, I guess we'll never know.

This is true - we can't know exactly what's going on in the studio and I am guessing on my part. With that said, though, it's not an entirely blind guess. DE are in something of a unique position for game developers, being a very large studio with no real publisher (to speak of, there is the matter of Leyou) and only a single project for everyone to work on. This, in my interpretation, is the reason you see them spread out to so many different new ideas and systems.

Consider a typical work horse studio - your Massive Entertainment, your Respawn, etc. They'll typically release a game, then drastically cut down that game's development team (even for a Live Service) in order to refocus on their next release, and occasionally in order to do work for hire for other development studios. DE don't do that, as they work on no other games and take no work for hire. However, what they do dabble in is "the equivalent of releasing new games," under the guise of either major redesigns or radical new systems.

Consider Empyrean/Railjack. While that does exist within the engine and framework of Warframe, it constitutes ostensibly an entire new game. While it couldn't exist as a standalone title, it's not that far removed from what would in the past have been sold as an "Expansion Pack," similar to your Opposing Force or Blue Shift. It's the same engine, the same mechanics, most of the same assets but with new systems, gameplay and content. Where other studios might move onto working on new games, DE moves onto working on entirely new gameplay systems for Warframe. Different solutions to the same general problem of having a large studio's worth of developers who can't all work on the same things at the same time.

Basically, stuff like Archwings, Free Roam, Empyrean, Operators and the like - these are 3/4 of the way to brand new games already. It might not seem like it, but the mess of changes under the hood to support these systems is not insignificant and it does end up serving as the basis for brand new systems still later down the line. To us it might seem like they're pulling in a dozen different directions, but it really isn't that different from what other studios do with their staff, other than all being fit under the same umbrella of Warframe rather than released as standalone sequels.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2019-07-28 at 7:02 AM, Aldain said:

I think the Steve guy stated somewhere that the premises from the reveals generated more hype than the actual content being released, but I’m not sure they realized that it can’t be exploited forever. Or does it?

0UjlnBl.gif

this year’s Tennocon I didn’t hear that much cheering from the crowd tho, probably because who knows this game well figures to see much of the stuff showcased now, being presented again in the tennocon 2020, with some more trailer here and there, only to be served in 2021 like a plate of stale pasta with bugs stuffed meatballs in any case. The future of game industry looks promising

4 minutes ago, (XB1)GaussPrime said:

😂😂😂 DE and focus in one sentence 😂

I mean it is hard to know if focus (or lack of focus) is the issue with DE's development at all, as Steel_Rook stated after me their development style might not benefit from focusing on one project at a time.

But as the backlog of Soontm grows it kinda makes me wonder how things are going outside of what they present to us in devstreams and the like.

• 3 weeks later...

"give them time", i have no ptoblems with that. But lets face it every update is a big mess. They releasing there stuff unfinished anyways. Remember they needed 1 week more of our new game mode and new boss. Well the boss was a broken mess, ai break, clipping through the ground, grap bugs. Tbh why 1 more week? To remove kogaje which was happening with that update?? 

On 2019-07-27 at 1:08 PM, Chewarette said:

I'm perfectly fine with Melee 3.0 being on total hold to make room for real stuff like Empyrean, New War, or Duviri.

And you'd cry as much, if not more, if they announced a date and were late by 20 minutes. So they've chosen the better deal, not announcing any deadline and progress as quick as they can without stressing themselves.

Instead why just not announce something until it’s in the final stages flushed out and ready for release? But then you’d say content drought is what we’d complain about when in all actuality if de were to take their time and make lasting content nobody would complain 

On 2019-07-28 at 9:42 AM, peterc3 said:

If you are fully against crunch, then you should have just stopped typing. Things will get done when they get done, otherwise they will need to crunch to get it done by a specific time.

The players have none of the info to determine what is reasonable or timely for a feature to be completed.

Honestly, this is speaking out of both sides of the mouth from the players and I hope the devs keep on ignoring it.

Wanting the devs to ignore this is part of the problem. We’re not rioting we just want a better answer then soon how about trying “this isn’t coming soon this is a concept we will let you know when we have it finished and ready for release” or “ this isn’t coming soon we’re still in heavy development stages and this won’t be done for months to a year or so” 

also they basically crunched to get a working railjack demo out to Tennocon right?

Maybe DE were getting over their heads in regards of cool new projects they want to bring to the players.
Now they have sooo many things to work on and nothing gets really done in the planned time.

Even though I am new to software development myself, I noticed early on that the period of time needed for a project can be very... volatile.

On 2019-07-27 at 8:11 PM, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

do you want rushed content? because this is how you get rushed content.

yes, the droughts suck, but I guarantee you'd be complaining even harder if melee 3.0 came out now and was complete trash. same with Empyrean. DE can't release what they don't have ready, so just grin and bear it. things will pick up... SOON.

No we’re not saying DROP NOW OR ELSE DE 😡 we’re saying stop making promises your not keeping. If you know somethings not coming soon then don’t state it as such. Be open with the community and let us know that it’s not coming anytime soon instead of having people wait and get frustrated. Saying something like “this isn’t coming anytime soon but we’re working on it and trying to polish it :)” instead of saying “this Is coming soon” would go along way with many people

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, (PS4)sweatshawp said:

No we’re not saying DROP NOW OR ELSE DE 😡 we’re saying stop making promises your not keeping. If you know somethings not coming soon then don’t state it as such. Be open with the community and let us know that it’s not coming anytime soon instead of having people wait and get frustrated. Saying something like “this isn’t coming anytime soon but we’re working on it and trying to polish it :)” instead of saying “this Is coming soon” would go along way with many people

damn, this thread is old..

even when they go into more detail, it's not enough for most people; no matter what they say, people will be impatient, so why waste breath? anyway, it's coming this week on PC, we'' likely have it in early-mid September. they've been pretty quick with console certs recently.

On 2019-07-27 at 6:57 PM, Chewarette said:

It's better they don't announce any deadline and release the features when they're done, rather they announce a deadline and have to rush stuff / delay releases.

it happened to Gothic 3 a game that is supposed to be next gen in 2005, they rushed it and ruined it