Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What is Baruuk's role exactly?

Artekkor

I really want to like Baruuk, but something about his kit / playstyle bothers me. He's a pacifist in a game where fighting is what you must do to achieve your goal... Extermination missions, defense missions, hell pretty much anything that isn't a spy or sabotage.

So, uh... What one is supposed to do with him? Just stand and do nothing while skills keep enemies at bay?
Reminds me of Vauban's situation: full focus on crowd control with nothing to follow.
At least he doesn't get oneshoted like Vauban does...

I once saw a person say he is good for knocking enemies off map edges which kills them instantly but thats too situational. I too want to know the answer, just a simple one I dont expect a 20 page article on how to play him, just a simple one that gives enough info

He has a role between CC &  DPS, with some range mods and strength, his 2 & 3 are really powerfull in terms of CC, disarming enemies and slowing them before they sleep.

His 4 does decent damages and you can imporve it easily with condition overload and weapons like pox and zenistar to proc more status if you really need it.

I play him as a crowed controller and seconday DPS wich is really pleasant to play since you are nearly unkillable with his 1 wich is also very nice for stuff like arbitrations.

CC, debuffing, non-LoS AoE damage, damage reduction that can be shared with the Squad,
and on the way to an objective you can pull a Limbo and just make yourself invulnerable.

There's no mission type where he's clearly the best choice I guess, but he fits well enough into any of them.

Also, that "come at me bro" Elude stance. Do you even need a reason beyond that? 😛

That's a good question: Baruuk is a CC tank, but his CC isn't especially desirable in an environment chock-full of damage, and "tank" in Warframe isn't a contribution, because being able to not die doesn't really help anyone else much. Ideally, he should be preventing enemies from affecting his allies, and has some team utility to that effect, but it's not especially functional most of the time (giving daggers to allies takes time and is finicky when everyone's moving at high speed, for example).

Build Baruuk for full power (440%) ; press 3 to have 35 daggers around you, for an infinite duration, buffing allies and debuffing enemies getting too close (if not nuking them); press 4 when you have enough, click around and see the map melt, if not radgolled to death. Hitting an enemy too close with 4 will do double damage too, as it's two instances (the punch, and the waves.) You can even play combo meter if you like close combat.

The first spell is useless, unless you want to spread your daggers faster and erode quicker;  Building around it (range, efficiency+duration) is the biggest mistake ever made.

The second spell is situationnal, and help a lot in a room filled with too angry enemies. It has a huge base duration and range, making it quite useless to boost ; nerfing it with Transcient Fortitude helps you to spam it a little more (as you cannot recast before first phase ends).

Full power Baruuk laugh at duration, range, and efficiency.

Build him with Primed Flow + Quick thinking + Adaptation (+arcane guardian and energize), get a 90% damage reduction there, another 90% from the 3, a 40% from passive, and another 40% from serene storm, and you just laught like hell when a rocket from a bombard hit your shield for 5 damage, while your sentinel dies instantly. You get a higher EHP than the tankiest Inaros, and that, with only a ridiculous 300 shield and 225 health (and a nice 850 energy).

Edited by dwqrf

He’s a tank/CC and I think he was supposed to be the occasional damage dealer with his 4, but someone on the team forgot Impact damage sucks.

Either way here’s my 2 builds

Strength focus: for his 3 and 4 to provide DR and dish out a crap ton of damage til level 80 where the damage falls faster than a car off a cliff.

Range focus: massive AOE sleep and complete invulnerablity. Great as a support role for sortie defenses where the team is doing a terrible job protecting the target.

An individual stuck in identity crisis, who wants to avoid conflict in a game about killing things fast, who has 2, or maybe 3 abilities that belong with stealth frames, and his only killing ability is locked behind a Restraint meter. Said Restraint meter grants you damage reduction for depleting it, but if you start killing with his ultimate, you lose the damage reduction. So you choose between being a subpar tank or a subpar exalted melee user. And the stealth related abilities (sleep - which is found on Ivara and Night Equinox, disarm - found on Loki, phasing through bullets - Limbo's passive; stealth gameplay is viable for all of those) are so inherently counter-intuitive to a tank role (how do enemies attack you more if they are sleeping, or have lost their guns?) that DE slapped an arbitrary "enemies hit by these abilities will deplete the Restraint faster" for some semblance of synergy.

Edited by Xepthrichros

On 2019-09-27 at 4:15 AM, Artekkor said:

He's a pacifist

This is probably the eight millionth post about someone taking a warframe's "theme" literally. Ignore that, just focus on their abilities and how functional they are in game. You're allowed and encouraged to kill. He's just designed to lessen the dire need to. 

As others said, he's an ok damage dealer, support, and cc. Primarily, he's a tank.

2 hours ago, swiftasacoursing said:

Harrow because you’re basically always competing with your teammates if you want your abilities to work at all.

Then you're using him in the wrong level of content, with bad weapons. 

If you can't get a kill in then your team doesn't need you to heal. When was the last time a Trinity cried that she didn't get to heal someone because no one was taking damage? Lol

Edited by (PS4)Ozymandias-13-

3 hours ago, (PS4)Ozymandias-13- said:

Then you're using him in the wrong level of content, with bad weapons. 

If you can't get a kill in then your team doesn't need you to heal. When was the last time a Trinity cried that she didn't get to heal someone because no one was taking damage? Lol

There’s no crying here? Like you said, your team probably doesn’t need your team buff, and you should have brought a different frame. That’s why I’m saying they excel in solo play more than in a squad.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Xepthrichros said:

And the stealth related abilities (sleep - which is found on Ivara and Night Equinox, disarm - found on Loki, phasing through bullets - Limbo's passive; stealth gameplay is viable for all of those) are so inherently counter-intuitive to a tank role (how do enemies attack you more if they are sleeping, or have lost their guns?) that DE slapped an arbitrary "enemies hit by these abilities will deplete the Restraint faster" for some semblance of synergy.

Crowd control and damage avoidance are not contradictory to the tank role. Yes, being able to directly shoulder hits is pretty essential to being a tank, but nothing will improve the survivability of a tank faster than reducing the amount of hits you need to shoulder in the first place. 

Survivability isn't just about stacking as many effective hitpoints as possible. It's about making sure that the incoming damage is lower than your EHP. So the fact that Baruuk can use CC to shut down enemy damage makes his other abilities complimentary to his role as a tank, not contradictory. 

He's the type of guy that stays in the middle of a fiery building saying "this is fine!" while the rest of the team burns and dies, then he is also there able to revive you no problem, then use a mop and sweep all the pain away in a few seconds.

Anyone that says he is a sub par tank, or a sub par damage dealer pretty much doesn't know how to make a proper build and suck at the game.

Baruuk is perfect for when you're in a survival, and everyone else is lonewolfing..
..but you have to hang in the middle to leech and anchor affinity range.

the like 3 or 4 enemies that come by your location will be good for a sleep,
so long as you don't have your 3 on.. because... 3 stops your 2..

So he's like an anchor for affinity range.. giving brief and noisy enemy weapon interrupts
to allies who zip past you while they're having fun spreading spawns as far as humanly possible.

You're there to try to tell the spawns where to be.. on the outskirts, where the party is.

Is this a good role? No.
Is this a role that is present in this game? Yes. Yes it is.

Edited by kapn655321

I probably should  report back,  for the sake of discussion.

I played with Baruuk for a last  couple  of  days (lord  praise Faven and his Graxx skins) and i  think i got the hang of him.
Yep, he seems to be a tank indeed. A very weird one and not particularly reliable since he has holes in his dodge, and it doesnt protect him from AOE i believe.
But, it works. Sleeping is also surprisingly effective. Daggers though... Not sure what they are doing.

The fun part is the ultimate, which absolutely anihiliates anything in sight. So basically he's a tank with a big gun, but he needs some charging to shoot it.
Also i should elaborate on his "theme". Its not so much "pacifist" as "Budhist Monk". Hence the restraint. Overwhelming power and skill, but only released when all other methods of avoiding conflict (dodge, disarming, disabling) failed.
I think it actually works surprisingly well. Nothing to lose your mind about, but it works, its fun and its perfect for passive half-afk braindead players like me: turn on the dodge and watch youtube while enemies erode your restraint.
The guy is risking replacing Rhino as my main, hehe.

In a team he basically exists to make enemies less annoying and doesn't die when others do.  Making him a decent anchor for those pubs you occasionally get where your team doesn't know how to move away from damage.  His 3 passively disarms targets within range at a slow pace.  And his 2 slows enemies down into a sleep.  his 4 is an alright trash clearing ability but unless you build for waaaaay too much strength it won't be good against heavily armored targets as the levels climb.  His 1 is kind of a meme power that has very situational usage.