Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What is a newbie, what is a "veteran" in warframe ?

Tenno76856

The way I think of "veterans" is anyone sitting comfortably enough on enough mods and enough personal experience to either A) identify combinations in newly-released content to push the boundaries of their maximum damage per hour, or B) personally feel the difference when big nerfs (such as the Catchmoon nerf) are put into the game

This of course necessitates "newbies" be split into subcategories, such as pre- and post-War Within

Just now, Chronometria said:

Why would we ignore MR?

MR can be very easily fudged by being repeatedly taxi'd to Hydron

• Like 1

Honestly the line is so blurry on that subject that a concrete definition is all but non-existent.

Take me for example, I've recently hit 300+ days (I had more before I migrated to the Switch, but I think it messed up the count) and am MR18 with a full solo Dojo and multiple prime weapons and frames.

Does that make me a veteran? If yes, does the fact that I still haven't cleared the entire star chart from sheer laziness then disqualify me for "veteran" status?

I also haven't run a mission for more than an hour and thirty minutes in my entire career with Warframe, does that make me not qualify for being a veteran?

It is just a definition that doesn't have a definition.

• Like 2

In all honesty the definition depends from person to person and everyone will not agree on a single concise answer as there are too many things to take into account.

Personally i describe them based on how much of the game they've experienced.

A veteran is someone that has done almost everything in the game and understands pretty much every system in the game whilst a newbie has barely done anything and doesn't know most of the systems that well

(i.e. a newbie has only progressed through ~6 planets, not necessarily completed the planets but got to around Saturn as that's when the game starts to become more difficult for newer players and knows that they can increase their stats via mods but not necessarily which mods are best).

• Like 2

A newbie is a player that just got into the game : low experience of the game in general and/or low ingame time in their profile.

A veteran player is a person that have been playing for years, have thousands of hours in their ingame profile and know pretty much everything about the game; how to make good warframe/weapon builds, knows synergies between warframes, accomplished a lot of achievements in the game ( in the " Challenges " tab of your ingame profile), found the majority of fragments/kurias.

Also have a high amount of mission completed combined with a high completion rate, completed a lot of operations with a high score in these events and also pretty much what said @HatedByLifeItself.

Edited by (PS4)Silenceform
added stuff
  • Like 1

Having a wide and varied understanding of the games mechanics. This is literally only learned through time and experience.

For example, I had a great eidolon setup when I started doing teralyst, but over 200 collective captures later, I actually know how to use that setup and my experience has allowed me to be way more efficient in killing them. 

Things like not getting out of my archwing just to shoot the lure, get back into my wing and take off towards another lure. Using loc-pins to mark lure locations, or memorization over time. 

Doesn't matter what game, time and experience make people efficient at things regardless.

Both are self-proclaimed titles which shouldn't be used unironically.

There are however nice players who are generally friendly, may not know everything but learn what they don't know, and ignorant players who... you know.

This (quite loosely) could've been projected on that vet/newbie model if the term 'salty vet' didn't exist for a reason.

• Like 2

For some amount of people, it's usually a personal accolade they arbitrarily give themselves to try and suggest their criticism is somehow inherently more valuable, and that DE should subsequently listen to them now, and/or are idiots for not doing things according to their tastes... at least that's what I've found far too often.

For a serious suggestion? Probably somebody who meets most of the following critera:

1: Plays the game, or is considering themselves 'on a break from the game' i.e. not active but intending to return, either for a rest from the game, to wait for a big new content drop, or for some other external reason. Reason should be obvious, if they don't play actively and have no present intention to in the future then, well, they aren't a player.

2: Has played for at least a year or two, having experienced cycles the game goes through, i.e. release [DE]lay cycles, content cycles, events, cycles of whining on the forums (/s). Reason being that this helps a player understand more about the whys, not just the whats, of things that happen in the community and development.

3: Is reasonably knowledgeable about the game, and is equipped to make good use of that knowledge i.e. knows how to build to great effectiveness and knows at least somewhat of why so they would be able to theorycraft their own build, even if it is not as effective as 'the meta'. Reason is similar to above. Being MR 28 but having no clue why you don't use Warm Coat probably means you aren't able to act on your experience.

However, all three of these pale in comparison to the most important critera:

4: They feel comfortable identifying as a veteran. They could have all the factual knowledge they need, but realise they don't have the deeper understanding, then there's a pretty decent chance they won't identify as a veteran. It's not a title that can be given to someone, it's one they develop themselves. Many people choose to distance themselves due to the above stereotype, or because they understand just how arbitrary it is.

Tl;Dr: Veteranship is ultimately arbitrary, down to the person, and usually applied to oneself either as a means to try and curry respect, or as self-identification of 'hey, yeah, I am actually pretty good at this game.'