Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What is a newbie, what is a "veteran" in warframe ?

Tenno76856

2 hours ago, White_Matter said:

Veteran : Those who served in the Great War. Great War being Damage 1 0, Melee 1.0, Parkour 1.0, Dark sectors, Void tower keys, Raids

Newbie : Who thinks hitting MR 28 means something.

Well, like it or not, high MR is reflective of playtime and access to items. It does have meaning and while they may not count for much, the MR trials do include some that are genuine challenges.

You can be a veteran ballet dancer who is now over 60, a veteran race driver with alzheimer or perhaps a veteran soldier missing one leg and has PTSD. Not sure what a veteran warframer is but it doesn't inherently mean something good. It just means that once upon a time you did, well something, and now time has passed. 

Edited by Myrmel

15 hours ago, (PS4)BloodyHell said:

I used to think MR was a pretty good indicator of vet and experience status, but the other day when doing a public Eidolon I witnessed a MR25 using Transcendence to attack Terry. That's right, Transcendence, meaning they hadn't completed The War Within. 😕 Mind kinda broke seeing that.

That's a bug. They weren't really using it.

12 hours ago, Chronometria said:

Well, like it or not, high MR is reflective of playtime and access to items. It does have meaning and while they may not count for much, the MR trials do include some that are genuine challenges.

Reflective of play time and access to items? Not really, one can build everything they can get their hands on their current MR, leech off hydron exp farm and reach MR 28 in 50 hours or less and MR trials can be done by watching videos on how they do it so can't be really used to measure if someone is a veteran or not

For me, veterans are players that can play anything and wreck things like nothing instead of complaining over changes.

Maiming strike and CO got nerfed? No biggie, veterans can still wreck with or without them post-change instead of doom saying like "melee is dead" etc.

vets are those people who have very little to do and only really keep playing in the hope some fun repeatable content arrives, also the time spent acts like an ankle weight, holding them in place, refusing to let them quit due to the sheer amount of time/effort spent.

It's a pity that for quite a while "content" is nothing more than a timegated mechanic to slow down how fast you get the latest warframe/weapons/whatever, then when you have those things you never once go back to that "content" because there is no point.

You said ignore MR. Its a grinding game. 

As far as difficulty goes, warframe is an extremely easy to play game. You dont need any skill or talent to be great at it. The main difficulty in this game is the grind. 

IMHO, a veteran is someone who has almost everything in the game, has moderate knowledge of in-game mechanics, and experienced almost all content that the game has to offer. 

6700 hrs played. 100k plat in 1 year. And yes that is just 1 year. No including overall playtime. Multiples accounts. 700+ Raids completed. A screen name thats daily-jv-nm-lor. 1300 eidolons completed. 24000 missions completed. Been here since 5 years ago. Thats a vet. Fought in solar rails. Was here when concalve was a thing. Was here pre relics. Bwahahahahaha...

19 minutes ago, --Aegis--MR9 said:

As far as difficulty goes, warframe is an extremely easy to play game. You dont need any skill or talent to be great at it. The main difficulty in this game is the grind. 

IMHO, a veteran is someone who has almost everything in the game, has moderate knowledge of in-game mechanics, and experienced almost all content that the game has to offer. 

Start doing speed running or endurance and you will see the difference in ability.

IMO MR doesn't tell how well a player understands how every systems work. Afterall MR is just exp fodded from different warframes, weapons, companions, etc. At best you could say high MR players have a lot of time grinding all the mats for building the items.  Some even bought with plats to skip all the troubles and power level with affinity booster.

The best way is by looking at the profile's past events states. The more the events covered and the higher the score is = the more experience that player is.  There is no doubt a 3k caps MR16 has way more experience in Tridolon hunt than a 3 caps MR25 ( I was faked by that MR once and I don't trust MR ever since ).  That MR25 couldn't even self-dmg properly with chroma. 

MR is not the most useful but one of the factors to determine a veteran. As higher MR means the player has "touched" or have access to more items. Having said that, as I mentioned. Grinding and understanding are two different things. Grinding for exp and mats require little to no skills, all you need is time. 

Edited by SHArK-FiN

1 hour ago, --Aegis--MR9 said:

Talk to people trying to move on from 5x3 to 6x3

I think there can be a few metrics to judge this:

• Time: Typically veterans are thought to have over 2k hours spent on the game, or at least well over 1k. By contrast, players with less than 100 hours are typically referred to as newbies.
    • On the flipside, there are many players with thousands of hours under their belt that have stopped playing for so long that they're no longer in touch with the game's current state. Do we still call these players veterans if they do not have the expertise one expects of them, and do not engage in what one would call veteran-level content?
  • Quest Progress: When discussing things for veterans to do, it's generally assumed that the players being talked about have gone through the game's entire quest line so far, and thus unlocked every possible challenge the game has to offer. Meanwhile, I think it's pretty safe to assume that a player is still a newcomer to Warframe if they haven't yet played through The Second Dream.
    • On the flipside, going through the quest line on its own is typically not thought of as something that turns a player into a veteran, as it's pretty quick to do, and doesn't prepare players on its own for veteran-level content, as that requires far more mods, weapons, frames, and so on.
  • Power Level: A core component to the discussion on veteran-level content is the assumption that veterans have access to all of the relevant frames, weapons, mods, and other items, plus min-maxed builds, that would make them the most powerful players in the game, in addition to expertise and game knowledge that allows them to blaze through virtually all existing content. It's also assumed that they're consistently dealing with high-level enemies, and the balance considerations those entail. Newbies, on the other hand, typically have the Mars and Jupiter difficulty spikes to deal with, or it hasn't been too long since they've had to deal with them.
    • On the flipside, it doesn't actually take that much time to access the full core set of weapon and warframe mods needed to cap out in power, bar a few Primed mod exceptions. Rivens also muddy the waters by letting players twink out their gear with overpowered mods in a manner that cannot be achieved consistently through play alone.

Because there are different components here, I think the standard for judging whether a player is a veteran or a newbie is likely a combination of time and active participation: veterans are assumed to have played for long enough to have a deep understanding of how the game works, but I think also participate enough to be able to keep that knowledge of the game current. Newbies, on the other hand, are still in the process of learning the ropes, and have much to discover that isn't just niche game knowledge. There's a whole lotta people in-between, and I think there's also definitely room for a subcategory of former veterans, or players who have otherwise spent vast amounts of time on the game, but have stopped playing since. Really, if we want to lump all types of veterans together, the determining factor's probably just time, but I think it's worth making the distinction when we're discussing topics of balance, high-end content, and player retention.

On 2019-11-18 at 3:52 PM, Chronometria said:

Well, like it or not, high MR is reflective of playtime

Not really. 

I'm MR 25 and have 3k hours. And I've seen MR 27 people with much less.

On 2019-11-18 at 3:52 PM, Chronometria said:

access to items

Only up to a certain MR. Obselete after MR 16 or something.

Edited by White_Matter

On 2019-11-20 at 11:41 AM, White_Matter said:

I'm MR 25 and have 3k hours. And I've seen MR 27 people with much less.

I have  seen some odd cases aswell, because normally players at that MR have 2k completed missions or more, but i have seen players around that MR with only 1k completed missions, it's no small feat to do 1000 missions, but in comparison there's me, a player at MR16 with over 40x that mission count, so yes there will be a difference in what players know.

On 2019-11-17 at 5:12 PM, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Because you’d be surprised by the number of MR20+ that don’t know anything about the game.

You know.. I have been having many brushes with this lately. I join a team arbitration and 5 minutes in, someone already dead. I am like how?! I check MR, mid twenties. 

Quite often I see people with high MR that clearly dunno what they are doing. Not uncommon as you may think.

OP, if you managed to get to Eris, you are a veteran. 

A newbie is someone who charges headlong into the grindwall of each new update. 

A veteran is someone who's realized that if they wait, DE will continually reduce the amount of grind necessary to "finish" a particular thing, and that patience will save you a LOT of time.