Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why does the codex mean nothing?

I love the aspect of searching for hard to find items but why is there little to no reward? Yes kuria, cephalon fragments, somachord tones, thousands year fish, frame fighter and prex give you cosmetics/decoration but the amount of work going into it is unrewarding and ill-fitting. I had to play certain nodes 50+ times to find certain things. Upon completion you should get a more substantial reward. 

I already mentioned prex/levarian. I’m talking about partnership and memory fragments, also the fact that the rewards are just dumb, the special rooms on Jupiter give you for S#&$ty mods and a cute background to take selfies. Why is this so difficult for no/little reward?

Edited by (NSW)albadicentra

The Codex needs a complete overhaul. To be honest, they should really make it an actual information / tutorial hub rather than something you have to grind before you get anything useful. Scanning inconsistencies, bugged entries, unobtainable enemies, etc. all need to be fixed.

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, (NSW)albadicentra said:

I love the aspect of searching for hard to find items but why is there little to no reward? Yes kuria, cephalon fragments, somachord tones, thousands year fish, frame fighter and prex give you cosmetics/decoration but the amount of work going into it is unrewarding and ill-fitting. I had to play certain nodes 50+ times to find certain things. Upon completion you should get a more substantial reward. 

Why does there need to be a reward? The codex is just a database of stuff in the game that you use to find information on

• Like 4

Codex doesn’t necessarily need rewards but it certainly could use some cleaning up. I think it would be neat if the faction categories had sub categories to make things neater. For example having a separate page underneath grineer for only tusk units. Would make it much easier to see what you are missing.

• Like 4

It's not meant to have something to show off. There's very little lore or backstory for the ideals in warframe. Having those little tip bits sprinkle across the game so players randomly find them is just a design to hook players into self proclaim goals. Anyone who is interest would find it for themselves. I can't understand why there has to be a reward for every action the player part take in. If you don't enjoy it, don't do it.

They used to want to give each enemy a small lore entry for you to discover. Then came prime trailers. Then came collectible cards. I think they also played with the idea of giving players more xp for fully scanned enemies, but never implemented that. Not hat it matters much these days.

What you get is the ability to use the units for testing in the simulacrum.

Finding lost pages of a book can be rewarding in itself. Archaeology in real life is usually done by volunteers paid diddly-squat and maybe some stew in a tent, but you should see their faces when they find some sort of spork used by a Spartan wife in the remains of an abandoned cottage somewhere. Same for us, kinda.

Aside from the fact that I find it hard to believe that historical artifacts are being dug up by volunteers, this is a game. They make money off of incentivizing people to play and spend money, they paid multiple people to develop those aspects of the game and yet there is no reward for doing it meaning no incentive to players to look for it. Why do it? I ask players to help and they don’t want to or say it is pointless, I mark items whilst playing and they don’t care. My own boyfriend who introduced me to the game doesn’t want to look for kuria or memory fragments or thousand year fish. I enjoy these parts of the game, I have almost all of them complete, other players don’t care about here aspects of the game and don’t want to find them.

On 2020-03-09 at 8:23 AM, (NSW)albadicentra said:

Aside from the fact that I find it hard to believe that historical artifacts are being dug up by volunteers, this is a game. They make money off of incentivizing people to play and spend money, they paid multiple people to develop those aspects of the game and yet there is no reward for doing it meaning no incentive to players to look for it. Why do it? I ask players to help and they don’t want to or say it is pointless, I mark items whilst playing and they don’t care. My own boyfriend who introduced me to the game doesn’t want to look for kuria or memory fragments or thousand year fish. I enjoy these parts of the game, I have almost all of them complete, other players don’t care about here aspects of the game and don’t want to find them.

Personally, I enjoy incidentally finding the scannables and collectibles. Gives a nice “Hey, there’s an unexpected thingy here!” feeling, which might be the real reward for me, come to think of it. The only time I’d actually gone searching for them was when I was looking for a specific mod that’s inside those resource caches. After about an hour of repeated rush-throughs on one mission, I figured “Eh, I’ll get it eventually. And it’ll be all the more precious when I do (weirdly enough)”, and went back to playing at my own pace.

I can understand why others wouldn’t be so keen on searching for them. When my wife, brother-in-law, and I are playing, I’m usually the one to break off from the group if I spot what looks like a dead end to check out. If I find something (and each mission feels like it has more often than not had something), I’ll let them know it’s there and they’ll be glad to grab it. They’re often not about to join me in my search, though, so I stay close if I can, and they won’t have to run all the way back through a level to get the thing. We’ve probably missed more than a few, which is fine with me.

The question of further incentive for a hidden thing is an interesting one, well worth considering.

Would it be a resource?

Would it be a powerful weapon or warframe for completing a set of collectibles?

Would there be a chance for a powerful mod (or something similar) if you searched?

I’d love to see perspectives on these questions!

Maybe it’s worth considering how other games tackle the collectible aspect. I know there have been many that I didn’t feel were worth the time investment (I’d be driven to reading a wiki, then asking myself “Why am I doing this again?” when I realise someone’s basically done the searching and collecting for me on the wiki page), and I find that the randomly-generated nature of Warframe collectibles cranks up the difficulty of finding a specific thing to infinity (due to how RNG works, there is a chance that I could never find a specific thing, like that mod in the resource cache. Flipping a coin in search of Tails has a non-zero chance to land Heads until my last breath, is what I figure), and that helps me settle into finding them incidentally instead. Subjectively, I prefer it that way.

Though a slick codex interface would be nice

Edited by (NSW)Greybones
Formatting

On 2020-03-08 at 1:59 PM, AuroraSonicBoom said:

They used to want to give each enemy a small lore entry for you to discover. Then came prime trailers. Then came collectible cards. I think they also played with the idea of giving players more xp for fully scanned enemies, but never implemented that. Not hat it matters much these days.

What you get is the ability to use the units for testing in the simulacrum.

Yeah, pretty sure Steve even mentioned making the Codex less "Grineerish" ages ago and that still hasn't happened.

On 2020-03-08 at 2:06 PM, trst said:

What's wrong with it rewarding lore, decorations, and information?

Speaking specifically with the cephalon fragments finding Ordis' hidden backstory was a pretty satisfying reward to me.

I think it's more referring to the Codex rewards for normal enemies. Aside from the basic bare bones descriptions, most enemies don't really have any interesting lore or rewards for the effort. Some enemies are also a giant pain, like Eximus Vapos Prodmen or Eximus Jackal.

Fragments are one of the few examples in recent memory that are fine additions, but the Codex itself and most regular scanning you do with it really doesn't do much in any department. We did have a few enemies with some cool lore, like the Plains Commanders, but they're too few in number.