Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

If Railjack was a standalone game ?

Nothing. If I wanted to play a space combat sim, which I don't, I'd have bought one. If Railjack becomes a major requirement for future events I'll probably either avoid them or play a different game. 

But if, as I suspect, Railjack is just a glorified space taxi and they keep that part of the mission short and then get me back on the ground with my blade and gun, then it's all good.

FTR, I have my own Railjack and I gave it a chance. It sucks. But then again, I don't like space combat sims so bear that in mind.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

What do you have to step from railjack for you to say it couldn't stand alone.

The frames, their weapons and combat? Because if you leave those things in, railjack is about as good as Warframe on launch minus few bosses. 

If you strip those things, then that's like asking "would you buy spy as its own spy game?" I don't see how that's a valid criticism.

I have no idea what you’re asking here. I think autocorrect messed something up in your post.

If I understand right, though, you’re comparing RJ to Warframe’s state 7 years ago and arguing that’s a good thing.

Unfortunately, that argument doesn’t do RJ or DE any favors.

Edited by Ham_Grenabe
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ham_Grenabe said:

I have no idea what you’re asking here. I think autocorrect messed something up in your post.

If I understand right, though, you’re comparing RJ to Warframe’s state 7 years ago and arguing that’s a good thing.

Unfortunately, that argument doesn’t do RJ or DE any favors.

Yeah, autocorrect butchered that

As a new game, the comparison isn't a bad one. That said, I didn't think much of Warframe on release. I was about to uninstall the game before they released the liset. 

All I'm saying is that railjack isn't really that bad compared to early Warframe. Railjack is in an early state. If railjack released with the frames, weapons, etc.... It wouldn't be a bad EA game. 

It's not fair to compare railjack to a full-blown space sim. It was never meant to be that. It's pretty much just a vehicle to get us to more tried and true Warframe gameplay. 

Edited by Hypernaut1

4 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Yeah, autocorrect butchered that

As a new game, the comparison isn't a bad one. That said, I didn't think much of Warframe on release. I was about to uninstall the game before they released the liset. 

All I'm saying is that railjack isn't really that bad compared to early Warframe. Railjack is in an early state. If railjack released with the frames, weapons, etc.... It wouldn't be a bad EA game. 

It's not fair to compare railjack to a full-blown space sim. It was never meant to be that. It's pretty much just a vehicle to get us to more tried and true Warframe gameplay. 

Oof, a good EA game. Personally, if you put Railjack as an experience against Anthem, I’d have given my money to Anthem. Railjack is (to me) pretty hollow—and since the OP asked how we’d view it as a stand-alone game, well, that’s my answer. 

16 minutes ago, Ham_Grenabe said:

Oof, a good EA game. Personally, if you put Railjack as an experience against Anthem, I’d have given my money to Anthem. Railjack is (to me) pretty hollow—and since the OP asked how we’d view it as a stand-alone game, well, that’s my answer. 

Anthem is a full fledged game though. Not even DE expects railjack on it's own to compare to something like Anthem. 

Is that really the bar people are setting for DE? How can they ever win? Did people really expect a AAA game that had the nemesis system as its main drawing point to be fully recreated in Warframe?? Is that why people are disappointed? 

12 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Anthem is a full fledged game though. Not even DE expects railjack on it's own to compare to something like Anthem. 

Is that really the bar people are setting for DE? How can they ever win? Did people really expect a AAA game that had the nemesis system as its main drawing point to be fully recreated in Warframe?? Is that why people are disappointed? 

No, but I do expect 7 years of experience to help deliver a far more complete and polished result than what RJ ended up being.

Also remember, the question is the OP was “if it was a standalone game, what would you pay?” My answer is, “it’s not nearly substantial enough to stand alone, but if someone released it like it is, then I would not be willing to pay for it.”

(As for the Anthem comparison—it was alluding to the hollowness of the experience, not the breadth of the game - I was an early tester for it, and it was real obvious it was a nonstarter). 

4 minutes ago, Ham_Grenabe said:

No, but I do expect 7 years of experience to help deliver a far more complete and polished result than what RJ ended up being.

Also remember, the question is the OP was “if it was a standalone game, what would you pay?” My answer is, “it’s not nearly substantial enough to stand alone, but if someone released it like it is, then I would not be willing to pay for it.”

(As for the Anthem comparison—it was alluding to the hollowness of the experience, not the breadth of the game - I was an early tester for it, and it was real obvious it was a nonstarter). 

Was Anthem that bad though? I've been wanting to try it.

Edited by Hypernaut1

8 hours ago, (PS4)SolarPhantom82 said:

If Railjack was a standalone game. What would you paid for it, what would it be sold for in today’s gaming market...?    Compare the Tennocon trailer to what you got on release.  And including the future promise content.. Would you buy it?

No. The Tennocon railjack trailer is like the Anthem trailer...a movie and not what was delivered in the game. Nothing like what was in the trailer. It isn't 'enough of a game' to sell it separately...period.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Was Anthem that bad though?

To basically sum it up, Destiny 2 does everything Anthem tried to do better even when considering all of Destiny 2's faults.

I'm not even that outrageously fond of Destiny 2, but Anthem was a looter shooter that had no worthwhile loot and mediocre shoot.

Not to mention that it had "repetitious grind" issues that set a new standard in boring.

8 minutes ago, GreyDeath789 said:

No. The Tennocon railjack trailer is like the Anthem trailer...a movie and not what was delivered in the game. Nothing like what was in the trailer. It isn't 'enough of a game' to sell it separately...period.

If Jason schreier did an article of Railjack development. I wonder how it would go... lol

Steve’s on stage and the deves are like “ wait  we are making that…looks hard…

That's not even a fair question to ask Warframe community.

People that aren't fans of arcade style space ship pew pew shooters will never like Railjack regardless of its state [1]. People that want specifically to play said games, would likely go for some other game that already does this well. Gotta ask ourselves, why people came to play Warframe, because it's very unlikely that the reason was because space ship pew pew.

I enjoy Railjack gameplay a lot, and have had tons of fun with it, but for me the big appeal is on its potential to interconnect the various aspects of the game, and not as a standalone game mode. Until DE makes that ( *really`) happen, it's never really going to be great.

[1] Speaking of that, I'd take feedback about Railjack coming from the community ( including, and especially, influencers ) with a very big grain of salt, since knowingly or unknowingly they end up being driven by their own bias regarding how they feel about arcade style space ship pew pew shooter gameplay. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Was Anthem that bad though? I've been wanting to try it.

I can’t say how it is now—I was in the alpha and the beta. After about 6-8 hours in the beta, I’d played all the Anthem I cared to. It was functional and pretty. Not engaging, though. 

The question is ... weird, to be said, of course not RJ would be worth any money as a stand-alone, but the question don't really have any purpose since RJ never intended to be a stand-alone game.

But I guess the OP wanted to point the flaws of this mode.

RailJack as a space sim is nowhere near as good as sims I played in the 90's.

If I downloaded it as a stand alone demo, I'd play it for a few hours and delete it.

The interface leaves a heck of a lot to be desired.  And it relies on Archwing that somehow keeps getting worse over time.

It will get polished, and bugs will be patched I have no doubt.  Will it ever be to a state I would call finished, looking at other parts of the game no.

DE put a lot of effort into it, with graphics, sound, code, etc.  Like the rest of WF I do respect their efforts,  I just don't really enjoy the overall design and doubt I ever will.

1 minute ago, KnightKrawlur said:

RailJack as a space sim is nowhere near as good as sims I played in the 90's.

If I downloaded it as a stand alone demo, I'd play it for a few hours and delete it.

The interface leaves a heck of a lot to be desired.  And it relies on Archwing that somehow keeps getting worse over time.

It will get polished, and bugs will be patched I have no doubt.  Will it ever be to a state I would call finished, looking at other parts of the game no.

DE put a lot of effort into it, with graphics, sound, code, etc.  Like the rest of WF I do respect their efforts,  I just don't really enjoy the overall design and doubt I ever will.

It's not intended to be a sim. It better fits the "space arcade shooter" category IMHO.

And that's probably a good thing, pretty sure it would alienate a lot of people if it was more like a sim.

13 hours ago, (PS4)SolarPhantom82 said:

If Railjack was a standalone game. What would you paid for it, what would it be sold for in today’s gaming market...?    Compare the Tennocon trailer to what you got on release.  And including the future promise content.. Would you buy it?

hmm with its one mission type? 5-10 $. would be a cool mini-game maybe.

Standalone or not, I'm not really playing Railjack because there are so many other games that do space combat better. If I want to play a space MMO, I will just play Elite:Dangerous instead. At least the ships in that actually look cool, and are more fun to fly than these ugly bricks called Railjacks. Hek, even the original Wing Commander from 1990 has better space combat than Railjack.

18 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

This is an important comparison, though. Whether or not its the entire game, or just a small part of it, the quality of the experience matters. And usually, when its just a small part of the game, the experience is worse, because they can't put as many resources into it as they should.

If you are going to release an update that shifts your game into a new genre, then you are going to have to compete with all the other games in that new genre as well as the ones in your previous one. So since DE added Railjack to Warframe, they now have to compete for the space combat crowd as well as the 3rd person shooter audience. And if they're incapable of delivering a worthwhile experience in both areas, then why did they even bother? Why would anyone pick the inferior experience?

This is why its almost always better when a game stays focused. When a game tries to do too much, and be too many things, then none of it is worth playing. I would much rather play a game that does one thing really well, then a game that does several things poorly. And Warframe has only ever really done Warframe well. All this extra space combat they keep trying to add to it has never been good enough to be worth spending much time on.

• Like 3

If there were no warframe, railjack would be a unique and wonderful game. You fly around in an (at least initially) utterly useless spaceship, and go invade enemy ships with these incredibly powerful space ninjas, with amazing parkour abilities for such a tiny cramped map, with amazing powers. 

As a space combat game, it seems like an abject failure, though.

In a real spaceship combat game, the ship to ship combat is fun from the beginning, and you can level your ship by flying your ship. 

• Like 1

No, because the entire concept just doesn’t work. Railjack is built around the idea of the Railjack as a liability, not as an asset.  It relies a great deal on Archwing anyway, which raises the question of why the Railjack exists at all if its so vulnerable and weak.  It’s a bad concept at its core.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TheVeiledScion said:

It relies a great deal on Archwing anyway,

No it doesn't. Unless you don't have a squad and you're just starting from scratch.

I rarely leave my Railjack ( even if playing solo ), except for boarding PoI's or crew ships ( and even crew ships, I usually tend to blow them up with my BFG ).

1 hour ago, TheVeiledScion said:

its so vulnerable and weak

Not it isn't. It's actually indestructible. I don't think I ever lost a Railjack except for the initial trial and error and bugs.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but if what you wrote above is really what you believe, you clearly don't know how to play it.

• Like 1