Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Coming Soon: In-Game "Players Helping Players"

[DE]Rebecca

Question

Hi Tenno!

Launching later this month is a new in-game Chat Channel! 

The goal of this channel is to provide new and experience players a place to seek and provide help in a dedicated and organized way. This channel will eventually be the first channel new players enter (instead of region, which will be available as an opt-in!). 

The Players Helping Players sub-forum has remained one of our most beneficial to Tenno, and translating it to an in-game Chat channel was a very logical next step.

Here's a sneak peek: 
QandA.png

See you in there later, Tenno. 

• Like 48

0 answers to this question

Interesting addition, I can't wait to see how it will turn out!

In the end the Community will decide how helpful this chat can be.
So all the long-term players, who have toooo much time and nothing to do....welll...why not sit in chat and share your wisdom with the new players? 

This can be, next to fashionframe, very nice "endgame content" 😄
Let's help each other out in this new ingame-chat-tab XctPENl.gif

(srsly, pls don't troll, just share&care - help new Tenno out there!)

Edited by Fabpsi
~penguins
  • Like 13

This could be interesting.

Some ideas I have to make it even better perhaps:

1. Adding pinned threads from the Forums subforum somehow in-game to help players.
  2. Adding Mantle of the Lotus/Guides of the Lotus cosmetics for all players who participate in this new chat. 🙂 
Edited by Voltage
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Hi Tenno!

The goal of this channel is to provide new and experience players a place to seek and provide help in a dedicated and organized way. This channel will eventually be the first channel new players enter (instead of region, which will be available as an opt-in!). 

The Players Helping Players sub-forum has remained one of our most beneficial to Tenno, and translating it to an in-game Chat channel was a very logical next step.

Here's a sneak peek: 
QandA.png

This is great!

I really hope this one is heavily moderated so it's not another cesspool like Region Chat 😕

• Like 1

2 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Hi Tenno!

Here's a sneak peek: 
QandA.png

I have several questions about this new channel.

1. Is there going to be any kind of upvote or commendation system involved in this for veteran players who answer questions? Sort of like Sheperd ranks in Division 2, where once you help someone after answering their back up call, they give you an endorsement which will gradually increase your rank and net you rewards. I'm asking because, if there were something like that, I feel it would be an overall detrimental reason for people to join the channel to help. If you want to answer questions and be helpful, you shouldn't be thinking of being rewarded for it.

2. Are you guys worried about someone asking a question, and having them bombard by seven+ different people answering them all at once? That could be a genuinely confusing experience, and it was when I started out a long time ago. Is this being left in the hands of the community who are participating in it?

3. Will this channel receive any changes in terms of moderation? For example, a warning before an automated kick as some newer players may not know what words/phrases are banned. Another example being saying cancer in a relay, and having a bot message you saying that it's no joke, without booting you. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Hi Tenno!

Here's a sneak peek: 
QandA.png

This is an excellent idea. 

While we are talking about the chat area, would it be possible to make it detachable from the game screen.

For gamer's who have multiple monitors, to have a full screen chat area separated from the game screen.

This would be very good, from the perspective of a relatively new player. Often times when I am on WF I need to look for help from people, but I can't find a good place to start. Recruiting is too "professional", region has way to many messages, and my Clan chat is good, but not everyone can have one. Hope this would help all the other new players out there ^__^

• Like 2

Does this mean the new player experience will remain as is, and we'll continue this trend of older players basically being interns who help newer players? I get the concept of the transition of bringing forums to the game, seems nice on paper. I think instead of this, the new game experience should be prioritised so people do not feel a need to ask questions to a crowd of other players. There should be more info provided within the game itself. 
New players will either be trolled or be given someone's opinion (might be right info, might not be, not sure who's monitoring this). I would personally expect a game to tell me things in the beginning instead of needing to rely on other players for answers. Also considering we can whisper in-game a lot more easily than we tend to do on Forums, there's just more potential for malice since chats cannot be seen by others if the convo moves to DMs. I guess we can only wait and see how this goes.

• Like 1

Love this and just today I've been answering to a few lost players in region but it was mixed with a bit of everything so kind of hard.

The most basic question I got is "How to check my mastery rank?" It can be obvious for some people but not everyone, we have different approachs for handling UI in general and even more in a new game.

So will there be a dedicated chat bot for recurring questions? 

On 2020-05-08 at 5:51 PM, [DE]Rebecca said:

I kind of get the point, but I'm already seeing the trolls waiting in line to get to work ingame rather than on the forum.

... I would rather have Clans included in the mix by having some kind of "academy" in order to teach those new players. I don't even care about incentives for the Clans, as the only "incentive" I need is not having new players getting ruined by youtard guides... And a proper individual Lab Access privilege for ALL Clan Ranks, I'm tired of juggling member ranks around to keep them from accessing the Lab that they haven't earned it yet.

Edited by Uhkretor

Great!

I think a bit of moderation to prevent trolls would be nice, though.

Edit:

I think region should still be on by default due to how popular it is.

Also, I think new players would benefit a lot from recruiting chat for new player only. Normal recruiting chat is unreliable for newbies either because their message get drowned or because nobody is there to help them as the vast majority of people in recruit are not looking to do newbie stuffs.

Edited by Jangkrik

On 2020-05-08 at 7:29 PM, Jemmies said:

I'm only afraid that trollers from region chat will come in and troll the new players, making it another region chat.

Region chat can be awsome!  It can be strange sometimes, but most of the times, its a fun place to be...
The memories....

First and Foremost - Kudos to DE for this, I hope it works well 😁👍

But, will this be a sanctioned 'begging' channel?

• I need basic mods
  • I need taxi
  • Where do I get "_____", oh, can I get a taxi?

And if so, is that within the intended purpose?  It might be ok...

Another idea I would appreciate is Regional chat in offered in 2 volumes - with vol 2 access being earned by clearing the starchart. Kind of the opposite of the Player-helping-players concept, but "let the adults talk for a while" is good too. (Sorry, I couldn't say that without sounding jaded, but there's no hate here.)

On 2020-05-08 at 12:51 PM, [DE]Rebecca said:

Absolutely brilliant. Truly A+ idea.

But if there aren't clear rules from the outset, with consequences, it'll be a feeding frenzy. A few weeks ago a guy posted here for help with a build. The forum promptly tore him to shreds for not knowing how to make a build. Two ppl stepped in. Neither was a moderator.

I suggest as rule one, if you have nothing helpful to contribute, contribute silence. Perhaps that's all you need, if it's enforced.

I love the idea. I think it's fantastic. I'm eager to contribute. But it isn't the sort of thing that regulates itself.

• Like 1

I hope there is an opt out for both new and experienced players. And very strict moderation to make sure there aren't spoilers.. I have very bad experiences from new player channels in online games due to either the "mentors" using it as their own chatroom or seeing constant spoiler for story.

• Like 3

Will this channel be available from the mobile app? If players are asking general questions, that's something that could definitely be done and responded to, without necessarily being in-game at the time

• Like 1

Hello everyone! I have a question. Is there's a way to experience game like a new player because last time I played was in 2018 Nov. so I would like to experience the game with new content and get back on track without creating new account and losing all my progress. 

P.S.  why my forum menu is in french? it seems I can't change it. :/