Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Reduce sortie's defence mission to 5 waves

Rixuel

10 waves is good, as far as I'm concerned, and some sortie types taking much longer than others is a good thing too.  

Some defense sorties feel slow.  But for me, just like regular defense,  that  has more to do with two specific maps and/or npc AI.  And occasionally really bad squad mates.

4 minutes ago, DrivaMain said:

Defense mission needs a rework to be honest. The reward/time ratio between META vs Non META is huge.

They're also #*!%ING BORING. Of all of Warframe's game modes, Defence has got to be the most reductive, least compelling type. And yes, I'm very much including Sanctuary Onslaught there. At least in Survival / "kill efficiently" missions you're encouraged to move around and find your own defensive point. Defence missions reduce even this basic level of complexity into standing in one spot and shooting enemies as they come, Virtua Cop style. They really need a fundamental redesign to add some actual gameplay in them.

And somehow, Sortie defence missions are even worse. The civvie seems to deliberately seek out enemy gun barrels to suck on instead of showing any amount of self-preservation. On the one hand, that makes the mission harder because your defence objective is actively suicidal. On the other hand, it makes them easier because the civvie can be revived infinitely, so at this point I don't even bother defending him. Let him die, revive him, repeat.

I want them to go back to their previous wave value of 15.

Same for survivals at 15 minutes and interceptions of 3 rounds, no offense but 5 waves isn't enough to test the team, 10 waves is already pushing it.

If you want waves to go faster, simply kill faster

1 hour ago, KIREEK said:

Same for survivals at 15 minutes and interceptions of 3 rounds, no offense but 5 waves isn't enough to test the team, 10 waves is already pushing it.

🤢

10 hours ago, Rixuel said:

Defence mission in sortie just takes too long with 10 waves (~10 minutes).

Reduce it to 5 waves would be more fair than keep it at 10 waves

But why?

It's not supposed to be the same as a normal defense.

Why not simply make it one wave and spawn 10 waves of enemies all at once. (yes i know itd crash most pcs, it was a joke. Really tho, the wavea would go much faster if the enemies started at max spawn speed. It feels like they take forever to ramp up to an overwhelming number

3 hours ago, (PS4)Apoleon_amarr said:

Or delete the first 5 waves and keep the last five, the fun starts at wave 7 anyway

This or

59 minutes ago, LuckyCharm said:

Why not simply make it one wave and spawn 10 waves of enemies all at once. (yes i know itd crash most pcs, it was a joke. Really tho, the wavea would go much faster if the enemies started at max spawn speed. It feels like they take forever to ramp up to an overwhelming number

This

More difficulty, less time!

5 hours ago, DrivaMain said:

Defense mission needs a rework to be honest. The reward/time ratio between META vs Non META is huge.

13 hours ago, Rixuel said:

Agreed, why not just increase the intensity to compensate? So 5 waves that are 10 waves (or maybe 15?) strong.  

4 hours ago, KIREEK said:

If the sentiment was true, I'd agree with you.  Unfortunately, it's not.

Fifteen and three doesn't test the team either.  And by team, I mean solo, because it's face roll easy to solo it and the chance of failure is extremely low(about the only failure I ever see is when the defense guy gets downed and either teleports or shuffles under a rock and folks can't get it revived).  We'd need fifty rounds to actually test a team that comes equipped with a left mouse button and an "X" for each player.

Killing the enemies happens as fast as they appear, and in the case of some maps, it happens as fast as you're able to get line of sight on them.  It's worth noting that I'm accomplishing this with almost exclusively non-nuke frames because they aren't the ones I play.

The reality is that folks looking to simply do it faster are primarily wanting it because challenge is right out the window.  Short of adjusting sorties in general to a higher difficulty than they are, they've devolved into nothing other than a chore that people deal with to get the occasional riven mod, so folks want to get it out of the way.  Once you're just doing chores, defense becomes nothing more than an arduous slog of a mission where you spend more time waiting for the next round to spawn and show itself than actually doing anything.

6 hours ago, DrivaMain said:

Honestly, Defense could be reworked a bit to resemble Survival and Interception.

When there is less than 10% of the total wave left, there will be a countdown to start the next wave immediately rather than currently waiting for 5 seconds (2 for Arbitrations) for the next wave to spawn in. That way:

• You/Your team don't need to scourge the map for the remaining enemies.
  • Consistent enemy flow. Preparation/brief break times doesn't benefit us that much in Defense other than forcing us to wait.

Never really liked Defense either.... Especially open world defense. Man, nothing sucks more that standing in the same spots for hours protecting a flimsy piece of garbage... In a game about hyper mobile space ninjas... Everybody is kill stealing each other's kills,it's long and it's booring. I mean mobile defense and the moon version with the breaking floor makes things feel more dynamic , but for the most part it's really repetitive to stand in one spot.

Also, pleeeeeese make the gift of the lotus alerts shorter. These things always have uber low levels so that everyone can do them (lvl 5 - 30 enemies), and they always take like ten or so minutes where you totally zone out and just wait for the timer to finish. I swear I often spend most of the match playing my shawzin since there's zero challenge and I know we have like zero chance to fail anyway.

I don't think reducing it to 5 waves is really a good answer, I think the game mode as a whole needs speeding up. Enemies spawn and approach painfully slowly, with dead time between waves, and DE seeming to be starting a trend of deliberately reworking defense tiles to be even slower because of massive cluttered rooms and winding passageways the enemies slowly have to filter in from.

On 2020-06-25 at 9:08 PM, Rixuel said:

and then you would be greeted with a sculpture lmao 

No, I like the affinity you can get from them, and sorties are too short and too easy already as it is. 

A great big hearty no from me. 

Also to those saying they dislike defense, then just play a different mission type, in general is a perfect mission type and needs no changes. It is basic but it is classic and it works. 

You want a different type of defense, try one of the many other types of defense style missions they created. 

The Mars Defence Sortie that was around a week or so ago took my team almost 40 minutes to complete on 10 waves.

The defence operative went and stood in a corner somewhere and the enemy AI just completely glitched out. They spawned in their correct place, but because they couldn't path to the objective to kill it, they just stood still and broke.

Even using a Speed Nova didn't work because their AI just BROKE>

Making this 5 waves would help for sure, but reworking the game-mode, or at least the damn pathing would be a hell of a lot better.

On top of that, the Defence missions in Sorties usually take longer than some of the complete Sorties on other days, especially if it's a good roll of Spy, Rescue, Assassination. 

Archived