Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why doesn't energy regenerate?

headsoup

At least to a baseline at 100 if not fully.
As a player nearing the end of the the star chart and having tried almost 20 different frames now, the most frustrating thing, by far, is just not being able to use abilities because energy is (not always - which adds to frustration!) scarce.

Moving from mob to mob and starting with 0 most times harms the experience.  Not to mention you finally get an orb... for not even/barely enough energy to cast an ability! And I know further in with arcane energise or Zenurik etc it improves, but they're not things readily available early on, where the damage is done.

Relying on Zenurik or the arcanes or rare mods etc just to make energy functional is poor design imo, when abilities are so core to the experience and it uses slots that could be better used...

This likely exacerbated by the fact I play solo, so I'm not sure how much group play fixes this; if it does there could be a solo targeted fix.

Yet touching a death orb in the void with a prime frame provides 250 energy! Why that and not elsewhere?

Tl/dr: Zenurik/arcane energise are bad crutches, energy starvation sucks, make it regen - at least some - by default.

You have to manage energy, there are many ways to get it, zenurik, pads, frames such as Trinity, protea, dethcube with augment, arcane energize boost, mods such as flow, primed flow to store etc, and efficiency streamline and fleeting expertise, syniod syndicate weapons give energy to. The reason its not self regenerated is to give diversity to game play. In other word stop you spamming 1 ability. 

i also think that it is bad. a high level player have lot of way to generate energie, but not a beginer. so the beginer can not use his warframe.

i think that all warframe should have a energie generation of 1/second. (it is low compare to an energizing dash, but it is more than nothing)

Because, in theory, Warframe's energy system is intended to be a hard limit on our stronger abilities - y'know, the one-click room-clear buttons. Of course, all this was designed back in the day when energy was scarce, and many abilities weren't tuned around comboing with each other and being freely available. Which comes out to both sides coming off worse design-wise, since abilities that are supposed to be the big game-changer power trips (a'la an Overwatch Ult or a CoD Killstreak) are suddenly super available. Meanwhile, said 'always on' or combination powers need to deal with a hard limit on top of the limits they were designed to have anyway.

45 minutes ago, GKP_light said:

the beginer can not use his warframe

That's a gross overexaggeration, you do (usually) get enough Energy to have at least some fun with your abilities.

Yes, a newbie can't just spam abilities all over the place like someone who has put a bit (or a lot) of work towards that goal.

... is that really a problem? Is having a goal like that not maybe a good thing, even?

That said, a small amount of natural Energy regen (maybe 0.5 per second or so) I don't think would break the game.

Health regen I can maybe understand... getting health orbs to drop outside of Earth isn't exactly easy without specific gear or abilities/operator etc.

Energy on the other hand... personally I feel energy orbs drop more than enough to do the star map.  While I might run zenurik (and get a small buff from it) outside of certain frames or situations (such as energy being drained) I can't say I use it that much in all honesty on the normal star map.

I wouldn't say no to a small energy regen but I'd rather have a small health one if I'm being honest.

il y a 5 minutes, NinjaZeku a dit :

That's a gross overexaggeration, you do (usually) get enough Energy to have at least some fun with your abilities.

Yes, a newbie can't just spam abilities all over the place like someone who has put a bit (or a lot) of work towards that goal.

i sarted with volt, and very rarely used my spell 4, becaus it cost too mush. befor having the corupted mod, i was near not playing with the warframe, in the game call warframe.

il y a 3 minutes, NinjaZeku a dit :

That said, a small amount of natural Energy regen (maybe 0.5 per second or so) I don't think would break the game.

1/second mean 1 spell that cost 100 every 1min 40.

30 minutes ago, GKP_light said:

i sarted with volt, and very rarely used my spell 4, becaus it cost too mush.

Volt is more than pressing 4, e.g. the damage & CC you get from Shock is plenty for a while there.

(Source: I recently made an alt account, choosing Volt as my starter. He did just fine.)

Honestly, it should be that way. Beginners should learn how to manage their energy effectively and rely on every single tool available to them. Find cover, improve your aim, master parkour, master stealth, utilize your primary, secondary and melee first while supplementing with your powers. Energy pads can be made very early in the game but you SHOULD be punished for relying too much on your abilities and not your full arsenal...no different than being too trigger happy and running out of ammo.

il y a 16 minutes, NinjaZeku a dit :

So you're saying Energy is working fine, the player using it is where problems may arise?

yes, a player with 1000+ hours can make a better use of the energie than a beginner.

even without mod, he better know the game.

I always wondered about that too, and way back then when i first started i struggled so much with energy. Energy siphon sort of mitigated it a bit, rage and hunter adrenaline we're ok, but then i unlocked zenurik and everything changed. But truth be told, Zenurik's En Dash being exclusive is pretty bad, i wanna try other focus schools, but i dont wanna forgo my ED, but if it was a WayBound Skill? Boy, that'd be amazing.
I trully believe frames should have passive energy regeneration, not by much, but not nothing too. Like previously mentioned by someone already, like, 1 enrgy/sec is fine i guess

IMHO, energy regeneration isn't huge problem. The problem is that a lots of things just steals your energy. If there aren't enemies stealing your energy directly then there could be Bubble guys (Nully) deactivating your abilities. I once run a test with the ancients eximus. They ate 700 energy in instant - the Grendel would be proud!

15 minutes ago, quxier said:

IMHO, energy regeneration isn't huge problem. The problem is that a lots of things just steals your energy.

Indeed, which does not help warframe is not very explanation-strong, on the natures of magnetic procs, leech eximus, mission modifiers, typically nightmare mode, that hyper drains energy so its basically d.e. trolling you indirectly on you cant use warframe abilities (which would honestly make a better modifier to temporary disable abilities for a few minutes into a mission for a modifier instead of this perpetual hyper insttant en drain).

15 minutes ago, quxier said:

If there aren't enemies stealing your energy directly then there could be Bubble guys (Nully) deactivating your abilities. I once run a test with the ancients eximus. They ate 700 energy in instant - the Grendel would be proud!

It would certainly help if we had things more fleshed out and smoothed out better, though it would be nice if a slow energy regen and hp regen, likely being based on a % recovery so it incentives players to run high en/hp max builds to capitalize on it better.

Just how it would be nice of Energy siphon and rejuvenation could be reworked to be more useful in later content, where even in the early game, they are rather lack luster with energy siphon only being one of the easy picks, since you can`t go wrong with it and most of the other meta aura mods kinda died for the most part, aka Corrosive projection, even if its alive somewhat.

Alot of various `things` need improvements that especially could make certain mods, especially aura mods, feel more impactful, then people just stuck on a limit of maybe 5 aura mods, if people use AMP mods outside of eidolon hunting, where the enemy radar and loot detection auras are rather too niche AND everyone only likes steel charge because its a easy capacity slave aura, more then the fact it boosts melee damage weapons.

Shame some of these fix suggestions could get an easy start if they do things like merge ammo scavenge mods into a more condensed group, especially the auras, just to make them look a bit more useful, if said auras could also boost reload speed or even boost ammo maximum amount per person with the aura equipped, just as a simple example, while condensing or deleting other particular mods which are more mis-leading gimmicks, then worth-while investments.

51 minutes ago, Avienas said:

Indeed, which does not help warframe is not very explanation-strong

Yes, lots things just happens. Only Comb & Scrambus show their attacks so you can escape. While you can see Nullies... they sometimes jump at you.

59 minutes ago, Avienas said:

that hyper drains energy

Yes, vampire mode is much easier.

1 hour ago, Avienas said:

Shame some of these fix suggestions could get an easy start if they do things like merge ammo scavenge mods into a more condensed group, especially the auras, just to make them look a bit more useful, if said auras could also boost reload speed or even boost ammo maximum amount per person with the aura equipped, just as a simple example, while condensing or deleting other particular mods which are more mis-leading gimmicks, then worth-while investments.

Like damage (+x to melee damage) forces you to use one weapon.

where the enemy radar and loot detection auras are rather too niche AND everyone only likes steel charge

After I equiped radars on my carrier I use something else.... probably something that fits "the sign". I don't feel like using one aura over another.

31 minutes ago, quxier said:

Yes, lots things just happens. Only Comb & Scrambus show their attacks so you can escape. While you can see Nullies... they sometimes jump at you.

Why do you think i want more mod space to fit things like rapid resilence into my builds? Thing is rather op when you have the space for it and primed sure footed. 

Like damage (+x to melee damage) forces you to use one weapon.

If it actually forced you to use one weapon type, then people could cheese around it with exalted weapons or archguns. Plus lets be reasonable, it would have to be like +250%~450% and it would still likely barely amount to the ridiculous multipliers normal builds pull off, since when you check the application bonus, they are insanely misleading on what they do to where i wish d.e. would redesign/remove particular mods with little worth till its made QoL`d proper or d.e. just straight up stop leaving mods like warm coat in and just clean them out and hopefully replace them with more useful things, such as an arcane that blocks 2-3 ailments, then just one, where only arcane nullifier would serve much use at all for the status resistance arcanes for regular use in certain content.

After I equiped radars on my carrier I use something else.... probably something that fits "the sign". I don't feel like using one aura over another.

Animal instinct, namely the PRIMED version, covers the basics. Im talking about when your going full on radar to smash all the boxes & find those rare resources or caches, especially fiascoes like chasing X particular mod or completing night wave challenges. With Enemy radar mods being more for things like survival and especially missions that disable your pet, so your forced to use a normal radar mod.

Never the less, its honestly just 

in general, because of the existence of very steep Efficiency gains that can be Modded, paired with the opportunity for dozens of different ways to increase the amount of Energy that you get over the course of the Mission.

i.e. many options available offered for Players to spec into.

if you wanted more than that, especially something innate - well, think up of some Mechanics that could be created that could be deployed to get Health and/or Energy. no, not just passive falling from the sky. something you do to get it.
as much as i despise the thing, Parazon could fit something like that. 10-20% Chance for a Parazon Finisher to drop two of each Health&Energy Orbs.

2 hours ago, quxier said:

IMHO, energy regeneration isn't huge problem. The problem is that a lots of things just steals your energy.

*screams in Guardsman*

Scavenger Auras are already very powerful as they are, if Players can't read what the Mod says it does i don't know what you expect the game to do about that. 
these Auras don't need to have 12 different features to offer strong tools, Players just need to learn to actually think for themselves and operate their Evolutionary advantage, their Brain, to consider the choices available to them.

35 minutes ago, taiiat said:

*screams in Guardsman*

what's wrong with guardsman? They are easily kill able

Im talking about when your going full on radar

If you go like this then you use more stealthy approach, loki/ivara maybe. Imho it doesn't need change.

If it actually forced you to use one weapon type, then people could cheese around it with exalted weapons or archguns.

You can doesn't mean it's nice. Like playing titania against jackal. It's not like you cannot use certain weapon but a one weapon is just better. I would prefer to add aura that adds something to all weapons, like fire damage.

1 hour ago, quxier said:

Why do you think i want more mod space to fit things like rapid resilence into my builds? Thing is rather op when you have the space for it and primed sure footed. 

Not sure about those mods. Even adaptation is so-so... (or maybe I try to fight too high enemies).

47 minutes ago, quxier said:

what's wrong with guardsman? They are easily kill able

they can Channel Block, and when doing so has a tendency to drain Energy from YOU rather than them. which can easily drain 200+ Energy in a single hit. (maybe based on damage dealt, idk)

Archived