The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cross Save / Cross Play / Cross Platform / Cross Progress / Account Transfer / Account Migration Megathread

(PSN)CagzJohn06

1 hour ago, (PS4)isbergen said:

That is cross-save. A lot of people want it. DE has said they would eventually support it. But months (years?) later still nothing. I'd say don't hold your breath. Maybe by the time the PS6 is released. Meanwhile Destiny 2 has had x-save for a year now.

Destiny has managed to do it because you need to purchase DLC for each platform you play on. So you would have to buy the Beyond Light DLC on both PC and PS5 if you wanted to play that content on both of those devices. I imagine that this is the reason Sony and Microsoft agreed to it. Warframe can't really offer a deal like that, so might be a very long time till cross save happens. You need to pressure Sony and Microsoft for this to happen.

1 hour ago, (PS4)isbergen said:

Again that is X-Play. Not X-Save. DE has already said X-Save will happen (when they make a it a priority) and that X-Play will likely never happen.

It applies to both.

The issue with cross-save is that it means players could potentially leave one manufacturer's platform for another (or even switch to PC). Moreover, it means an increased likelihood of lost revenue (and revenue going towards the console manufacturer's competitors) due to players purchasing platinum on another platform than said manufacturer's. What's to stop a player from cross-saving to PC, buying plenty of platinum, purchase good from the market, and then cross-saving back to a console? Nothing would stop them, is what, and if a player buys platinum or prime access on another platform, then Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo doesn't get the %-cut of sales that helps pay for hosting the game on said platform.

And potentially losing revenue = a huge no-no for console makers.

It also means platform-exclusive items being moved between platforms (such as exclusive cosmetics, discontinued weapons or gear that was only available on PC, etc), something that was restricted/prohibited for account migrations from PC to consoles.

So, cross-save and cross-play require the go-ahead from all of the console manufacturers. It isn't solely up to DE, and DE can't just pull the trigger on it and implement it willy nilly. They need to have permission from all three console manufacturers.

1 hour ago, Letter13 said:

if a player buys platinum or prime access on another platform, then Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo doesn't get the %-cut of sales that helps pay for hosting the game on said platform.

Finally, now I know the reason behind it.

2 hours ago, Letter13 said:

It applies to both.

The issue with cross-save is that it means players could potentially leave one manufacturer's platform for another (or even switch to PC). Moreover, it means an increased likelihood of lost revenue (and revenue going towards the console manufacturer's competitors) due to players purchasing platinum on another platform than said manufacturer's. What's to stop a player from cross-saving to PC, buying plenty of platinum, purchase good from the market, and then cross-saving back to a console? Nothing would stop them, is what, and if a player buys platinum or prime access on another platform, then Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo doesn't get the %-cut of sales that helps pay for hosting the game on said platform.

And potentially losing revenue = a huge no-no for console makers.

It also means platform-exclusive items being moved between platforms (such as exclusive cosmetics, discontinued weapons or gear that was only available on PC, etc), something that was restricted/prohibited for account migrations from PC to consoles.

So, cross-save and cross-play require the go-ahead from all of the console manufacturers. It isn't solely up to DE, and DE can't just pull the trigger on it and implement it willy nilly. They need to have permission from all three console manufacturers.

I would like to hope DE is smart enough though to prevent transactions from transferring between platforms. Otherwise you would destroy the economy of every platform at the same time. Want TennoGen? Buy it on console for platinum, not Steam for money. Want a Riven Mod? Buy it for cheaper on Console due to the lack of inflation compared to PC. Selling items? Change to PC to get inflated price values.

It is fair to assume console manufacturers would not want to lose users on their platform, but the lost revenue thing in terms of Warframe should hopefully be a non-issue as you potentially compromise the entire Platinum economy across all Platforms at once.

This should get more players to the game. The reason why I could not invite my friends to play this game is because they don't own the platform where I'm playing.

Lets be real, new players tend to quit after a few hours of playing due to the complexity of things. Having to play with someone you know increases the likelihood of keeping a new player interested for longer giving them an opportunity to reach the "interesting and enjoyable" parts of the game (for me at least).

Cross save so that we players could play in any platform, Switch for on-the-go, PC for performance and the scenery (hey that's one of the factor why Genshin Impact seems to succeed, though maybe because it's also available in smartphones. I dunno). Fortnite did this, why can't you. 

If x-save is likely, is it seamless like for example, now I'm playing in PC then at night I decided to play on switch while in the bed, the next morning, you decided to play again in PC all using the same account. Is that how they will implement it? If that's the case does that mean while I'm playing in PC, I will be restricted playing with PC players same for when I'm playing in switch?

Yes that is why DE has already said they are working on cross-save, they know it is something people want they want it too.  They have also said to not expect cross-play between like the different consoles and PC due to issues of patch syncing and such. 

Just today they did announce that PS4 and PS5 will have crossplay/save which is great, but also not a surprise since the account info is tied to the PSN account so it flipping between the different gens of the consoles was probably fairly easy, and Sony probably was fully on board to help DE in anyway they needed to pull it off. 

32 minutes ago, yarl5000 said:

Just today they did announce that PS4 and PS5 will have crossplay/save which is great, but also not a surprise since the account info is tied to the PSN account so it flipping between the different gens of the consoles was probably fairly easy, and Sony probably was fully on board to help DE in anyway they needed to pull it off. 

:facepalm:

Like you said, that's neither cross save, not cross play. It's the same platform, PSN. It's actually pretty disappointing that we'd have to redo the achievements when we switch hardware, as far as I'm concerned.

45 minutes ago, (NSW)Flazmerga said:

Not saying it's simple, it may be hard but not impossible. 

Tenno, try to understand, it's not a matter of just letting people play, or even changing code to let people play. It's about legally binding contracts with the different platforms. That's not something that you can just say "we want to do this, so let's just do it, LOL".

7 hours ago, (PS4)isbergen said:

I think you may be thinking of Cross-Play. DE has said that will never happen. X-Save does not require any support from the console makers. All profile data is stored on DE's servers, so X-Save is totally up to DE. We have a very limited form of X-save right now, as you can manage certain aspects of your unique profile/game using the mobile app. 

Really? Can you actually show me that our game data is stored on DE's servers and not Sony's PSN servers? And if it's stored on the platforms servers, how do you propose DE gets it from Sony when doing so would probably breach the legally binding contracts they have with the various platforms? 

I might be alone on this one, but after today's dev stream I realized that when my next gen consoles come, I won't care at all bout Warframe if I can't move my account off my switch. Ive been crying for cross save, but what I think I really want is just an account migration. I don't really want to pour more money and time into a game on this pseudo mobile platform, when I could spend the space on games actually designed for my switch. When the next round of Zelda games come the game I'll be deleting will be Warframe--not because I hate the game, but instead of buying more SD cards just for a free game, maybe its just time to cut my losses. Any other switch players beginning to feel like "no cross save" is starting to sound like "no future" for your account? Even if next gen switch comes, I might think twice, specially if I'll just end up in the same place again with the same game and the same problem

No, DE hasn't announced anything yet. 

I also wouldn't count on it, they didn't allow transfers for consoles to switch when it came out and I think this is more of a console maker issue than a DE issue.  The console makers want to keep you on their systems since they get cuts of you buying plat and other things. 

In today's Devstream, Steve basically gave the same non-answer he's given every time the issue of crossplay/cross-save comes up: We don't have an answer. 

iirc, the game is over 7 years old and I've no clue how at least cross-save could work with the current coding, though the PS4/PS5 (and XB1/XB XS) cross-save feature, albeit between the same old-new console, is a promising start. 

Personally, I don't want to necessarily abandon the Nintendo Switch, but I would like to be able to play on XB XS too... without having to spend ungodly amounts of money just to get back everything I have on my account, let alone starting over from complete scratch. 

It really annoyed me that they've managed to get cross save going on 2 consoles but in a way that still shackles people to 1 console company. To top it off, apparently a new console gen is not a big enough deal to bother offering PC players the opportunity to move to playstation. Watch them not have a way to change sides in the console war when the next-gen hits. 

I just want to be able to log in to PC to play with PC players sometimes, maybe they'd like to also experience the sheer joy of taking a dump while playing warframe in handheld mode. When the next Nintendo console hits I have no doubt now what the deal will be: Move to that console with my stuff, or get stuffed.

Console Warcrimes.

I love the game and have invested a significant amount of time into Warframe. The longer I play the game the more performance seems to decline, but this could just be my impression of the game. I migrated my account from PC to NSW to play the game with my wife, but she doesn't play the game anymore for various reasons. Due to the performance issues, on top of everything else going on, I find myself playing the game less and less. Now that I am getting a PS5 I would love to be able use my NSW account elsewhere.

While I personally think cross-save is a better long term solution, I think allowing players to do account migration when a new console release should be allowed, even if it is only to the new platform(s). I would even pay for the feature at this point. Not being able to migrate my account progression or use my save on another console means I will not be playing Warframe until one or the other becomes available. Really I want whatever option they would be able to provide in a timely manner.

1 hour ago, (XBOX)Sage Prinny said:

As you can tell by my profile I'm an xbox player and I plan on getting a ps5 not a series SX, my concern is about losing my Save Data when going to next gen. Has DE announced anything in regards to those transitioning after announcing the Series SX and PS5 Warframe release?

If you're moving from Xbox to PS5 then yeah, as of right now you'll lose your save data.

Its a bit of a lose-lose situation though tbh, moving to PS5 is obviously the better option, but until there's an official "Cross-Save" announcement you'll either need to start fresh on PS5, or you could potentially be waiting months/years for something that may not even happen. Cross-Save doesn't benefit every game, and thats why some will never have it.

Archived