Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

should pc get some exclusive skins?

BloodKitten

A very slim percentage of Tennogen makes it to consoles, a decent chunk likely never will (depending on the decision of the creator)

Outside of that, Console skins only really exist to "sweeten the deal" because consoles are generally more restrictive/competitive investments, PC doesn't really have any need for extra incentives.

16 minutes ago, rapt0rman said:

PC doesn't really have any need for extra incentives.

Speak for yourself, I love some of the console skins and I wish PC had something similar.

14 minutes ago, KnossosTNC said:

Exclusive cosmetics exist because platform owners pay for them. Who owns PC?

So why not Steam/EGS/etc skins? There was one set of Discord skins, though I don't think they were ever heavily advertised.

Just now, (XBOX)TyeGoo said:

Don't you have these rubedo skins or what they're called? Obviously idk i never played warframe on pc.. 

Those were available once from a Steam event in like 2014. Some of them are reasonably cheap, but some are >$100 for the rare ones.

To clarify, "Sweeting the deal" and "incentives" is just as relevant to company-to-company interactions as it is to company-to-customer.

Some company has to actually want/need DE to make a skin in order for this to happen. I suppose DE could literally just make an exclusive skin for PC... But I don't think they'll go for the whole "I want something that console players cant have, just because"

50 minutes ago, BloodKitten said:

considering the fact consoles get skins exclusive to thier platform, should PC users get some skins exclusive to the platform?

for example, nvidia themed skin or anything (this is unrelease yet available in game)

unknown.png

I’d much rather see all skins made available for all platforms. Platform exclusives are dumb. And bad. 

41 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

So why not Steam/EGS/etc skins? There was one set of Discord skins, though I don't think they were ever heavily advertised.

And they exist, but this thread, as I understand it, is about skins exclusive to PC in general.

24 minutes ago, KnossosTNC said:

And they exist, but this thread, as I understand it, is about skins exclusive to PC in general.

And your response to that was "who owns PC?" Compared to the console platforms, for PC it'd be Steam/EGS/etc. and other storefronts. So that's how DE could add PC-only skins, for example the Discord skins. Were those not PC-only? I didn't know about them until they weren't available anymore so I couldn't say. Either way, DE ought to do PC-exclusive* skins like the console-exclusive Obsidian/Jade/Opal skins. They could do like Sapphire for Steam and idk Onyx for EGS.

10 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

And your response to that was "who owns PC?" Compared to the console platforms, for PC it'd be Steam/EGS/etc. and other storefronts. So that's how DE could add PC-only skins, for example the Discord skins. Were those not PC-only? I didn't know about them until they weren't available anymore so I couldn't say. Either way, DE ought to do PC-exclusive* skins like the console-exclusive Obsidian/Jade/Opal skins. They could do like Sapphire for Steam and idk Onyx for EGS.

Then that's a skin exclusive to Discord users, and not really available to all PC players in general. Also, Discord has recently partnered up with PlayStation, which means the skin might end up there as well. Similarly if these storefronts expand to other platforms in the future, these storefront exclusives might not automatically translate to platform exclusives.

So yeah, who owns PC? Who will pay for exclusive cosmetics that will be unconditionally available to all PC players and will remain exclusive in perpetuity, like the console makers do?

11 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

Ok, but seriously, those other companies are the ones who have to actively want this to happen, seek DE out for an exclusive deal, and make it worth DE's time. There's genuinely no incentive for DE to initiate this, anything they make on their own terms is made for all platforms because there's no incentive not to.

47 minutes ago, KnossosTNC said:

Then that's a skin exclusive to Discord users, and not really available to all PC players in general. Also, Discord has recently partnered up with PlayStation, which means the skin might end up there as well. Similarly if these storefronts expand to other platforms in the future, these storefront exclusives might not automatically translate to platform exclusives.

Yes, exclusive to the Discord Storefront or whatever it was called before shutting down, just like the console skins are exclusive to their platforms. It's the same thing.

48 minutes ago, KnossosTNC said:

So yeah, who owns PC? Who will pay for exclusive cosmetics that will be unconditionally available to all PC players and will remain exclusive in perpetuity, like the console makers do?

... Anyone that likes the cosmetics? Not sure what you're getting at. I would.

42 minutes ago, rapt0rman said:

Ok, but seriously, those other companies are the ones who have to actively want this to happen, seek DE out for an exclusive deal, and make it worth DE's time. There's genuinely no incentive for DE to initiate this, anything they make on their own terms is made for all platforms because there's no incentive not to.

Sure there is, DE can sell more bundles and the PC platforms get to take their cut. IIRC all of the Obsidian/Jade/Opal packs are cash-only bundles.

Just now, PublikDomain said:

Yes, exclusive to the Discord Storefront or whatever it was called before shutting down, just like the console skins are exclusive to their platforms. It's the same thing.

... Anyone that likes the cosmetics? Not sure what you're getting at. I would.

Console skins will always remain exclusive on console, and any console player can access them with no additional condition. Not the same.

Ultimately, these exclusive cosmetics are promotions. They're essentially business agreements, often requiring up-front payments. So again, who's going to negotiate a promotional deal for PC in general and make the up-front payment?

12 minutes ago, KnossosTNC said:

Console skins will always remain exclusive on console, and any console player can access them with no additional condition. Not the same.

Ultimately, these exclusive cosmetics are promotions. They're essentially business agreements, often requiring up-front payments. So again, who's going to negotiate a promotional deal for PC in general and make the up-front payment?

The PC platforms??? Steam, EGS, Discord as they already did once before when trying to be a storefront, etc?

ETA: Not that any of us even know how these deals work. There's no reason DE couldn't approach Steam or Epic and ask if they wanted exclusive bundles like Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, and previously Discord.

11 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

Sure there is, DE can sell more bundles and the PC platforms get to take their cut. IIRC all of the Obsidian/Jade/Opal packs are cash-only bundles.

Exclusives means that DE sells LESS bundles, and the third party company makes up for the cost because it's worth it to them.

Without a company that wants you to only use their service and is specifically willing to pay for the exclusivity, any bundle that DE makes will make more money being sold on all platforms.

Or... DE can charge YOU 4 times as much to make up for the three missing platforms.... For no reason other then wanting a skin that other people can't get (they aren't going to do that)

2 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

The PC platforms??? Steam, EGS, Discord as they already did once before, etc?

And as I said, none of them offer their exclusive cosmetics to all PC players unconditionally, and since they are software storefronts independent from the hardware and OS platform, if they were to move to other platforms and take their store exclusives with them, which unlike their console counterparts they are free to do at any time, they would not be PC exclusives any more.

Archived