Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What is the proper response to player who afk during missions?

Thawfoot

Question

So more then a couple of time while in public groups... ive had, hate to say this Wukong player,.. who either dont leave the spawn.. or rush to the exit and seem to afk the entire mission..

Now i get real life stuff happens... and some time you just have to deal with things NOW...  but it seems to be a real trend.

So far i been just placing them on ignore to avoid that player if they dont respond to any questions... or just dont move

is this the proper way to handle this?

Tia

3 hours ago, Soy77 said:

I've been doing dog days with pubs because the summer thing -with bright beaches and upbeat song and everything just feel kinda depressing to do solo.

Until i meet this one player who immediately go up a tree the moment rounds started. AND HE KEEP APPEARING EVERY ROUNDS.

seriously dude is spamming play again like the flash, good chance if you play dog days with pubs in asia server, you will be leeched by him. 

Now i play it solo. As depressing as it is... I never felt lonelier in summer holidays...

I'd kite all the enemies to that tree 😈

3 minutes ago, Kraethius said:

There's a report afk option when you make a ticket.

By "ticket" you mean something different than "report player"?

Where do i access it? Because reporting player by clicking their in-game name doesn't have option for afk.

While yes, you stop gaining affinity and your Wuclone stops moving after 2 minutes of AFK, you still gain the end-of-round and other mission rewards (such as Alert/event rewards) if you AFK, which is why I think people still do it.  I personally have reported more egregious players, and would give the following screenshot tips:

1. Make sure your minimap is up, and take the screenshot from different times / angles.  That way the DE staff can see everyone else running around while that player is always in one spot.  The countdown timer / round timer will let them know time has elapsed.

2. Make sure you take a screenshot of the end-of-mission screen.  If you and other players all have 300+ kills while that one player is at 10, then it should be pretty clear, when combined with your other screenshots.

9 minutes ago, Soy77 said:

By "ticket" you mean something different than "report player"?

Where do i access it? Because reporting player by clicking their in-game name doesn't have option for afk.

You have to use the website, there is an AFK option in the "reason" dropdown:

https://digitalextremes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=50944

Players forcing DE to make Content Soloable and then complain about AFK players while 1 player is nuking whole Tile. I can stand in 1 place for whole Def and still be useful, but lots of players which knows less then 10% about WF marked me as AFK, I already reported 1 doing Zilchy’s trick.

1 hour ago, (PSN)Onder6099 said:

Players forcing DE to make Content Soloable and then complain about AFK players while 1 player is nuking whole Tile. I can stand in 1 place for whole Def and still be useful, but lots of players which knows less then 10% about WF marked me as AFK, I already reported 1 doing Zilchy’s trick.

The player I did that to was a Wukong, he ain't nuking anything :)

17 hours ago, Thawfoot said:

who either dont leave the spawn.. or rush to the exit and seem to afk the entire mission..

Afk-ers I've encountered tend to want to at least leech affinity so these 2 types sound kinda odd.

Proper response is shrug it off. Not worth getting worked up about, is it? You'll be done soon and in a new mission without them next time.

30 minutes ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

The player I did that to was a Wukong, he ain't nuking anything :)

I wasn’t Wukong and I didn’t nuking anything. Sonar Banshee, Mending shot + Arcane Pulse, Energizing shot + Arcane Energize, Glaive, Chesa with Mecha set in Corpus new Tile Def.

Edit: Btw Wukong twin with AoE weapon like Torid and Kubrow/Predasite with Mecha set is decent Nuker.

11 minutes ago, (PSN)Onder6099 said:

Edit: Btw Wukong twin with AoE weapon like Torid and Kubrow/Predasite with Mecha set is decent Nuker.

Right, except that after 2 minutes of AFK, your Wuclone stops moving and firing his weapon.  I think a distinction needs to be made about being AFK and not moving.  AFK means you're not doing anything, not moving just means you're not touching your WASD keys.  I don't think anyone here minds if players stay in one spot while firing their weapons and using abilities.  It's the "oh, let me just watch Youtube for 10 minutes and then collect the alert rewards" leeches that piss people off.

32 minutes ago, (PSN)Onder6099 said:

I wasn’t Wukong and I didn’t nuking anything. Sonar Banshee, Mending shot + Arcane Pulse, Energizing shot + Arcane Energize, Glaive, Chesa with Mecha set in Corpus new Tile Def.

I know all that, I also know he wasn't doing any of that, I think I've played for long enough to know a leecher when I see one :)

1 hour ago, (PSN)drpunk-yo said:

Proper response is shrug it off. Not worth getting worked up about, is it? You'll be done soon and in a new mission without them next time.

I've been doing dog days with pubs because the summer thing -with bright beaches and upbeat song and everything just feel kinda depressing to do solo.

Until i meet this one player who immediately go up a tree the moment rounds started. AND HE KEEP APPEARING EVERY ROUNDS.

seriously dude is spamming play again like the flash, good chance if you play dog days with pubs in asia server, you will be leeched by him. 

Now i play it solo. As depressing as it is... I never felt lonelier in summer holidays...

14 hours ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

Say nothing to them, take screenshots send to support.

13 hours ago, 16Bitman said:

Take frequent screenshots of their position and the scoreboard, alternatively take a video of the entire mission.

Send it to support and report them as AFK, they probably won't get banned instantly, but they do get a warning in their ingame inbox which should scare them off from doing it again.

13 hours ago, KIREEK said:

1 - talk to the player directly in squad chat, no need to be offensive but ask him to play, usually this makes players move, this is especially likely if the player had a afk warn before or knows the consequences of afk, they will gain a suddent burst of energy.

2 - if they don't move, take screenshots and send a support ticket later. Support can access mission data and can see exactly what players did, including animations, movements, etc and will apply their own judgement and decide if the user is warned or not.

3 - it is unlikely you will ever see the player again, in part due to the volume of players in the game, but also because players doing afk are on the verge of quiting warframe, without you doing anything they will quit, if not then a warn seals the fate and players quit voluntarily because they can't bother to play afterwards and yes they are forced to do so, if they afk again then the account is nuked.

Under what category do you guys usually report afkers? Griefing?

9 minutes ago, Butterfly85 said:

I'd kite all the enemies to that tree 😈

Warframe's brilliant dog days a.i don't seem to shoot upwards.

Or just some fail in the codes that doesn't order them to shoot players on trees.

11 minutes ago, Soy77 said:

Warframe's brilliant dog days a.i don't seem to shoot upwards.

Or just some fail in the codes that doesn't order them to shoot players on trees.

Odd. They seem to shoot me all right when I take a lazy minute up on top of the rocks when playing solo 🙃

9 minutes ago, Butterfly85 said:

Odd. They seem to shoot me all right when I take a lazy minute up on top of the rocks when playing solo 🙃

They do try to climb up rocks after bored circling it and will take a shot at you. That's how i farmed the event solo, on top of the huge lion king rock near edge of the map that have fountain exactly at its base. If you do this on the taller rocks as well, you might realize that they never shoot you while running around below you. They'll only start to shoot when they're attempting to climb the rocks.

But they absolutely don't engage players on trees. At least not when i tested it solo. I didn't proceed to use the method nor test it any further since there's no water fountain nearby and I'd like to get those couple of extra pearls from kills.

🙃

Just leave. Or if there are other players present, write "sry, won't play with leechers" in the chat and leave.

The other two options is "don't mind" and "try to report".

But even if leechers are among the lowest of the low, the best way to handle it is to leave, and just let it go. You getting seriously pissed off will affect you, not the leecher. 

First off, this is one of the reasons why i've advocated for vote to kick in the past, and still do. There's plenty of others, like guys that stay in squad after missions and won't leave or vote to continue (especially bad if doing relics), etc.

Now that aside, since there's no vote kick, you have 2 options, with a bonus action:
Bonus action is reporting. If you think the actions merit this, you can always report the player.

Now the actual actions you have are:
either

Ignore him if you can, since he's likely to not get any reward from your work since the game doesn't reward afk players,

or

Leave the squad if you find his presence is detracting from your experience, either because you genuinely need help on the mission, or its a relic hunt, etc.

As it stands you've already wasted more energy on this issue than i'd advise. Its not likely to change, since DE aren't anywhere closer to adding a vote kick system, so there's not really much to be done about it.

13 hours ago, Graavarg said:

But even if leechers are among the lowest of the low, the best way to handle it is to leave, and just let it go.

13 hours ago, ReaverKane said:

Leave the squad if you find his presence is detracting from your experience, either because you genuinely need help on the mission, or its a relic hunt, etc.

As it stands you've already wasted more energy on this issue than i'd advise. Its not likely to change, since DE aren't anywhere closer to adding a vote kick system, so there's not really much to be done about it.

I welcome you guys to this discussion.

Just wondering, by leaving mission, wouldn't it mean that we're the one wasting energy? I mean we have to go back, repost the quest, wait for another loading screen, while the leecher are still in previous squad, enjoying free reward.

Also, for my specific case that I've shared on previous posts, I'll keep meeting the leecher even if i leave. I post new quest, there he is again. If leaving is the main suggestion, then I'd waste more time leaving and reposting quests until i don't meet him, than actually playing it. Idk about NA, but in asian servers "open squads" numbers are usually just 2-3 squads at one time, which means we'll just keep meeting the same leecher.

Just wondering btw. I've already stated my perspective and personal solution for the issue on previous posts here. Simply ask you guys out of curiosity.

14 hours ago, ReaverKane said:

First off, this is one of the reasons why i've advocated for vote to kick in the past, and still do. There's plenty of others, like guys that stay in squad after missions and won't leave or vote to continue (especially bad if doing relics), etc.

If you get one of these in Hydron or similar that didn't bring any levelled gear and won't select to leave or continue when prompted, wait till the last second then choose to extract so that they're stuck and forced to go on and hopefully fail the mission.

47 minutes ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

If you get one of these in Hydron or similar that didn't bring any levelled gear and won't select to leave or continue when prompted, wait till the last second then choose to extract so that they're stuck and forced to go on and hopefully fail the mission.

Thanks for the input, but honestly, idgaf about these kind of people, i can do my thing easily, and if i'm doing hydron i'm ok with another player increasing the spawn count, but that's for me, people like OP might need the extra help, and that's why a vote kick is the more logical idea IMO.

1 hour ago, Soy77 said:

I welcome you guys to this discussion.

Just wondering, by leaving mission, wouldn't it mean that we're the one wasting energy? I mean we have to go back, repost the quest, wait for another loading screen, while the leecher are still in previous squad, enjoying free reward.

Also, for my specific case that I've shared on previous posts, I'll keep meeting the leecher even if i leave. I post new quest, there he is again. If leaving is the main suggestion, then I'd waste more time leaving and reposting quests until i don't meet him, than actually playing it. Idk about NA, but in asian servers "open squads" numbers are usually just 2-3 squads at one time, which means we'll just keep meeting the same leecher.

Just wondering btw. I've already stated my perspective and personal solution for the issue on previous posts here. Simply ask you guys out of curiosity.

Humm... I'm talking from EU experience, not NA or Asia... Might be that Asian servers are that depleted, since in normal circumstances just the ignore would be enough to ensure you don't squad up with people again. As for the "energy" waste, that's why 9/10 i just bring the guy along, i'm usually the carry player so i don't really care who else comes along for the ride, as long as they are coming for the extra spawns (of course if the rest of the squad is competent i'll gladly soak up that extra mastery from the shared pool, but unless its a really inefficient weapon or warframe i'd rather use it directly).
But the circumstances are the same for everyone, so you have to choose what's best for you.

48 minutes ago, ReaverKane said:

ignore would be enough to ensure you don't squad up with people again

i see, thanks for the interesting insight.

by the way, the in-game ignore function only hides that player's chat from appearing in your chat tabs. it doesn't stop you from getting matched with the ignored person again.
100% positive. just tested it myself 2 days ago.

5 hours ago, Soy77 said:

It's up to you.

From my viewpoint there are different "energies" (no, not being new age... 🤪), since I assume we are talking about psychological stuff. Personally I prefer to restart a mission to helping leecher, so that is what I will (100 times out of a 100). That is the most effective way for me to clear the "negative energy". Occasionally you even get to f*ck them over by leaving suddenly, which is an extra bonus. Staying in mission and flaming them in chat just makes me even more angry, and spending energy and time on reporting them is even worse, since it involves even more anger and hate and on top of that feels futile once done (you will never know if anything happened, which btw is the 100% correct way to handle it from DE's side).

But then I am no Lennon, Gandhi or Mother Theresa. If you can manage turning the other cheek and forgive and forget, just stay in mission and don't care. It is probably the best way, but I can't manage that, I want to know where the f*cker lives so I can burn down his/her house. With that kind of (over)reaction, leaving immediately is clearly the best option... 😜

I once queued for a mission and put the timer on pause and tabbed out then realized I had forgotten and been at the mission complete screen when I tabbed back in!!

I also afk at the very start of a mission waiting for players and forgot, when I got back was on an entirely different misssion, I guess we completed and they force voted me into a different mission despite me having being afk the whole time!!

sometimes accidents happen though I am more careful now !

Archived