Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dev Workshop: The Arsenal Divide

[DE]Rebecca

The nukor really had to be nerfed? Melee was just fine. You should buff guns to compete with melee, not nerf melee and buff guns. This update will most likely cause a majority of players to quit. The Nukor is yet another Secondary you guys have killed, and you’ev basically nerfed melee to the point where we cant use it as much because guns need to be used too. We wanted guns to be buffed, not melees to be nerfed.

hace 7 horas, Surbusken dijo:

Who would feel scammed for what, over what based on what?

Who said weapons had to have the same stats, who said starter weapons had to be good. You can make stats progression, level, progression, mod progression... time progression, any way you want, any way you have to.

You aren't allowed more than 10 mod capacity until you beat steel path? lol, I mean, you could do anything.

I said you could do anything, anything, aslong as it's fun. No one made any conclusions or set up any premise for anything outside that.

According to google:

"Excluding Modular Weapons, there are a total of 491 weapons in the game"

According to overframe.gg there are 28 top tier weapons total in the game. That is 28/491*100=5.7% of the game being used.

Should a game ignore 94% of its own items? Why was it you said, because notepad edits are too much work?

Well I figure I could realistically do 1 notpad edit per 20 seconds coasting, with 491 weapons to edit that's 2.7 hours of work, while slacking.

How long does it take to scroll to a box, click the box, type a number and hit enter? Could probably do it in 10 seconds or less, right?

So let's be generous and say you get an entire work day of 8 hours, that will give you 53 seconds to do a notepad edit? Sound good?

Oh but hey look, we have more than one worker in the office, what if we split the task!!!!1

I don't think your "too much work" theory holds water is what I am saying. But okay, let's pretend, they haven't had 2.7 hours available, at any time, over the last 4 years. They are that busy.

Then send the weapon dat notepad file to one of the players. I am sure anyone here would be happy to move some numbers around, if the production is that heavily pressed lol.

I can have it ready before the main card for ufc tonight and they won't even have to credit me or pay me.

I don't know what we are doing here waiting years for micro changes in notepad. Do you get paid, the less work you do? Me neither.

2.7 hours is what it should take, while working slowly, to fix the weapon stats. Why aren't we getting it done. What is the holdup.

dude, serious question, have you ever created anything in your life? Wether it is a meal, a drawing or a short story? Because by your description you seem to be under the assumption that creative work only takes as much time as implementing the final touches and that is just not the case, anyone who has written a script, (wether it is for code, a play, or a show) drawn a picture or filmed a video can tell you that there is a ton of work in designing and set up before those touches ar finally implemented: an artist does not just draw something amazing out of nowere, they set up a bunch of guidelines and shapes and what not in order to create the image they want o achive, a writer does not write a great novel by typing away, they carefully create the characters of the story, how they interact with one another, ect. And as to the weapons, you can't just put a high number and call it a day, you need to take into account how hard the weapon is to get to make it worth it, also consider the fire rate, aoe (if it has any), reload speed, all of the little things that make a weapon a unique choice, and even after all that, there will be a number of weapons that stand out among the rest because with with more than 400 weapons you are bound to make make some really good ones and some loosy ones (if you draw 10 pictures there is bound to be some better than others) and most people gravitate towards efficiency, that is something you just can't help when there are so many units (or in this case weapons) into play. On a different note, if the scalable power is implemented in a way similar to what you suggest, there would still be a reduced meta based on the weapons that get the greatest power output with the smallest investment possible

If DE want to decouple Zerk from crit, if they keep it multiplicative instead of massively dumpster it into additive, they could go the route of "3% on hit, max 45% for 24s" (so 1.45 of modded speed instead of 1.75, but 15 hit prereq).

Blood Rush nerfed to 40% is overkill, it should be 50% (and instead some weapons get a 1-3% crit chance drop, essentially 1% for the likes of galatine prime, war and above going down to 25%, ones like gram prime who even with the proposed 40% would have guaranteed orange crits or have a over 2.4 crit multi down by the 3%, so gram to 29%; thus also not making rivens that much more insane).
Also on topic of crit if anything was supposed to be nerfed it should have been the removal of the 2x on heavy attack as that would take care of glaives and gunblades and proc guaranteed heavy attack spams at once in terms of normalization.

4 hours ago, Surbusken said:

5.7% of the game being used.

People suddenly only use top tiers, huh?

If 100% of a playerbase would only pick top tiers, we'd have every single player starting from MR5 using bramma + knukor, and less than ten frames being picked. Not to say that current weapon and frame balance is not a clown fiesta, but your statement is just silly. People do use weaker stuff, because the vast majority of farmable content in this game (including new frame and liches that are about to be added) get smashed even by a mid-tier weapon with a half-assed build using pretty much any frame.

3 hours ago, Alavaris said:

I must say, i'm not looking forward to these changes. Slightly adjusting some mods, okay, but this reads as massively nerfing melee instead of bringing guns up to the same level. 50% nerf on glaives? They were finally fun to use and actually had a purpose in some kinds of missions over other melee weapon choices, I guess now they'll collect dust again. As for the strategic choices on which weapon to bring to a mission, it doesn't always have to be a life and death struggle. Challenges are good, but sometimes you just want to chill with friends and melt some enemies away. Nerfing entire concepts on how to build and use weapons can't be a good solution. I'd rather say something positive here, but tbh this is the first update in a long time that I'm not looking forward to at all. Please DE, take your time with finishing this update.. maybe a few years or so. 

This ☝️

1) Devs wanted more people to use Glaives.  Now they want less people to use them?  Makes NO sense

2) If you're wanting to balance things it makes more sense to make primary and secondary weapons equal to melee.... NOT nerf melee "down" to primary and secondary

3) The time and Forma people will have to invest to re-forma builds (especially melee builds) is WAY more than the Forma and Affinity booster that will be given at login the first time people log in.  I've spent a lot of time and plat to make and buy all those Forma... a LOT of time and plat.  To avoid basically stealing plat and time from players it makes more sense to leave melee the way it is and buff Primary and Secondary in ways that makes people WANT to use them more, instead of dread spending hours in Hydron or ESO or SO to fix builds that no longer work. 

Spoiler

Part 1

Part 2 

On 2021-06-18 at 7:00 AM, [DE]Rebecca said:

Primary and Secondary Weapon Arcanes

There are a couple of major issues with addressing this through  slots and new mods rather than deeper rebalancing.  The fact that it gives greater benefits to weapons that are already strong than it does to weaker ones.  The fact that we are, in effect, grinding for balance.   "We've balanced ranged with melee, but you're going to have to work for it!"  It really puts the weapon stat overhauls you did in 2019 and 2020 into a better perspective, since we got a better game...for free.

Anyway, you probably know this better than me, so I'll just leave it at that.

PRIMARY MERCILESS

Wow, are you sure that's a good idea putting that much of a damage multiplier there?  If you'd cut that in half, people still would have been excited, and you could always increase later.  Better that, than having to look at nerfs later on.  Baby steps.

Same general comments apply to the other arcanes.  But about the Deadhead arcanes...

PRIMARY DEADHEAD

This will be fun, but it will do almost nothing to address the woeful state of single target weapons in this game.  I hope you have some ideas still percolating about that.

That large issue aside, there is one improvement you could make: replace the recoil reduction with something else or larger bonuses elsewhere.  Sometimes I like recoil reduction a lot; but sometimes I just like recoil.   Sometimes because I'm so used to it and have learned to adjust, sometimes because it makes gunplay feel more visceral. 

Also, it's not clear to me whether the recoil (and headshot bonus) are constant or activated.  If it's the latter, having the handling of a precision weapon change depending on its activation is actually kind of a negative.

Galvanized Mods

Ok, I like these, but one major question:

Is it intentional that we're going to need to underclock or use weaker mods and/or not use an exilus in order to fit these, especially on rivened weapons?  I can see some value in that, honestly, but it's also going to be a very frustrating experience for people who are fans of non-lich weapons.  And lich ranged weapons among the least in need of more powerful mods already, so that's kind of a double gut punch.

And one very small, very Tiltskilletspecific criticism:  I hate hate hate the "when aiming" conditions on Scope and Crosshairs and their base versions.  One of the biggest pleasures in Warframe for me is to get five or ten quick headshots in a row without using zoom.  And damn it, it's hard enough for me already--I don't need to be punished for doing so. 😄

Login Items

Thanks!  The gestures are important.

Anyway that's it.  I just want to say, I made a lot of criticisms and I'm disappointed in many of the directions you've chosen...but those are larger scale issues and I think on a micro level this update is going to be pretty fun for me just collecting new Veldt/Sonicor enhancements and tooling around killing stuffs. 

And I do appreciate the work put into spelling this all out for us and making the videos.

Forgot to mention, the difference between the last melee nerf (spin crit nerf) and this nerf is NOTHING new is being added. Last time we had the whole melee re-work and status chance re-work so it was still fun afterwards. I am very disapppointed in you now.

It’s like y’all did everything that was the exact opposite of what is good for the game. There was never a need to nerf melee. What you need to do was bring primaries and secondaries up to par with melee. Which in here some of the mod buffs are alright but still has lots of problems. It’s like y’all don’t know your own game or fan base. And weekly buffs for helminth are ridiculous. Imo you should find other ways to permanently buff unused frames. Y’all continue to contradict yourselves and make ignorant actions that hurt the game.

If you look at all this another way it is pretty simple: it is actually not about "melee being too OP" compared to guns, the actual problem is that "mash the button"-melee is way too powerful.

What should be actively removed from the game is the "gamemode" where you go into mission, start a mashing your melee button, keep mashing your melee button, everything dies and then the mission is over. Yeah, I get the feeling of "power", and that it is fun to be so powerful the first few times. But anyone needing this to be their normal "state of being" in Warframe has some serious issues. In real life.

For a while this "mash button - everything dies"-ideology has been spilling over into guns as well. No surprise that Kuva Nukor is dominant in the stats, it is the secondary equivalent of "mash button melee". You wave it around at the enemies and they all die. Yeah! On the primary side the best example is probably Ignis (Wraith), there are players running through entire missions keeping the button pressed. What a fantastic skill-based game, eh?

Don't get me wrong, I love the variety of weapons in Warframe, and weapons linking to enemies, spraying liquid fire, generating AoE explosions, gas clouds, deadly puddles, mines, small black holes etc. are not only fun, but needed to make the Warframe universe work. But going through an entire mission mashing a melee button or keeping your trigger pressed is not "efficiency", it is "idiocy". Even if it generates farming efficiency, it is still idiocy.

Just think about it for a second, and imagine that "loving farming efficiently" is the core reason why you play Warframe. Of course it isn't. While we all like to get stuff efficiently, what we really love is playing the game. The challenge shouldn't be "efficient farming", challenge should be built into the game content. And since any "I Love Farming"-concept has an inevitable end ("everything wanted is farmed") the main goal simply should be "challenge from content", which in turn links to a general hope (and what should be the main goal for DE, from out viewpoint): that the game will live on "forever".

Running through missions and being able to kill all enemies just by mashing your melee button doesn't really deliver towards that goal, does it. Getting to that state is a nice goal in itself, and experiencing it is fun. For a while. But is there anyone that seriously thinks it will be enough if that is what Warframe offers? That after a certain point all that is left for a player is months and years (and years) of "mashing your melee button"? With some occasional sprinkle of new cosmetics? That is how we should all stay "invested in the game"?

Get real. And give DE some credit for trying to make Warframe live on (forever). Doesn't matter if the result isn't perfect every time, it is the intention that counts. Cynical, experienced gamers (like me) can even assume that all DE wants is more money, but it doesn't actually matter, does it? Because what WE want is to get to play one of best games out there forever, and you can't really measure that in dollars, can you. Not even Canadian ones... 🙂.

3 hours ago, GREF_TM said:

Guess what doesn't need to be in a pitiful ~6m range to do damage?

This would be a little more of a problem if Warframes weren't able to cover three times that distance in a second or two.

Any "close the gap" time for melee is usually shorter than the downtime of most medium to long reloads...and reloads can be broken if you get knocked over or roll, get knocked over with melee and you just hop back up and keep swinging with no downtime.

Can't imagine that the points I want to raise haven't been hit already, so I'll keep it short.

On 2021-06-18 at 5:00 PM, [DE]Rebecca said:

balanced, especially at high level play (Steel Path, etc).

And this is where I quote you saying 'the game won't be balanced around Steel Path'.
And not even a 'why' to go with it.

On Kill:

On Kill is 'Win More' (a.k.a. snowball), and a godawful trigger condition for any effect you rely on having. Outside of a slim Goldielocks zone, you either don't need it, or have-trouble-to-can't trigger it.
Weapon-specific On Kill is worse, because more restriction on top of the above.
Headshot Kill is even worse, as it's effectively inapplicable on most non-bipeds, as well as Infested fodder.

Berserker:

has been needing a nerf for years, so

+30% Attack Speed (Max 75%) for 24s on Critical Hit
To:
+35% Attack Speed (Max 70%)  for 10s. Stacks up to 2x. 

is fine.
I can't imagine that many people stack it with Fury, but from the perspective of lowering visual spam *shrug* sure.

That said, between the 'on kill' trigger and the short duration, I am literally never going to slot it over P Fury.
Hell, I would genuinely not slot it over Fury in content serious enough I thought I'd need the attack speed in.

Blood Rush:

33% damage nerf. Sure.

Combine with

Condition Overload

Another 33% damage nerf, and they're multiplicative.
Alright.

... Is my math wrong, or did high end melee just lose almost 75% of its damage?
(Assuming P Fury, X status effects, and no other base damage sources, it now does (1-0.36)*(1-0.34)*(1-0.34)=0.278 as much as before.)

I will say that I'm rather pleased, and fairly surprised, not to see Weeping Wounds hit as well.
Which shows that the person doing the rebalancing has enough of a grasp on the situation to realize the issue with status -> CO isn't WW but primers.
Not something I'd take as granted, so; glad to see it.

Glaives

... these changes also introduced a common issue:

If this is an issue, I've literally never experienced it.

the heavy attack wind-up speed is being increased from 0.6 seconds to 1.2 seconds.

So, -50% sustained damage (under perfect timing, realistically a bit more) for heavy throws. Need to check how that maths out with Killing Blow and Amalgam Organ Shatter.
On top of a ~40%-60% base damage reduction.

Also, were really all the thrown melees overused? I'd've only expected the Glaive P and maybe Xoris to get hammered (due to forced Slash and ease of acquisition, respectively).

Kuva Nukor

So, less of a mass killer/primer now. Fair enough, I guess.

Primary and Secondary Weapon Arcanes

Alright, let's have a look!

> On Kill
> On Headshot Kill
> On Melee Kill

Let me get this straight.
Guns struggle to kill armored things on Steel Path, so you're going to give them conditional damage increases after they kill stuff.
Merciless - 'Quantity' weapons lose a stack at 3 seconds. Fine for SP Surv. Everything else has downtime (between waves/rotations in Def/Int, between objectives in MD/Excav, etc.)
Deadhead - 'Quality' weapons get a reasonable-for-the-greater-restriction 20 sec. Not enough to obviate the abovementioned downtime issue, but enough to give you a bit of room to retrigger it.
Dexterity - The thing about having a primer+melee setup, is that they complement each other. One is support, one is DPS, as it were.
This thing puts them in direct competition.
Between that and the different engagement ranges (unless using a thrown melee, which you don't seem to want), you're not gonna be using both.
If your gun can kill, you're unlikely in melee range.
If you're killing them with melee, you're, ya know, killing them with your melee?

Galvanized Mods

> While Aiming
> On Kill

Look, I like the idea, but those conditions kill the mods for me from the getgo.
(On Kill I've already touched. And unless untouchable via invis/godmode/hard CC lockdown, you can't commonly afford the restriction of ADS in actual high level content.)

Literally the only mods I see myself using are the +Status/CO mods, on weapons where I'm already using the untyped +%status mod, because free damage.

Login Items

Meh.
I mean, sure, the Forma is certainly nice, but I'd still be at a significant net loss if I intended to actually gear my arsenal to use the Galvanized mods.

Since I don't, though, hey, free Forma.

If these mod are consider rare that 240,000 endo for max rank for all.

If they are Primed mods it 360,000 endo for max rank for all.

Why are these mod so expensive and 14 points as well, hope you guy have extra forma, at least melee have stance mod to compensate. 

6 new arcanes.  but not really, it's 3 but with just with an unnecessary doubling of the grind (potentially). Why do we need two arcanes that do the same thing look at the kit guns both primary and secondary guns use the same aracanes !!!

Next, you’re saying that on "The Steel Path" melee is king. So, your answer is to nerf melee and then lock the primary and secondary guns mods meant to assist us in leveling the damage discrepancy behind "The Steel Path"? This is confusing to say the least I like the new mods (on paper) but this strongly and loudly shouts of something that should have been put on that test server so you could get some feedback from your content creators at least. As it stands these changes are concerning to put lightly.

Being honest until I get these mods and arcanes and test them I can only have a skeptical but hopeful view of these.

So, let’s talk about the some of the “changes”

-Glaives are fun but this change will cause them to drop in usage. I cannot remember the last time I saw someone using one that was not farming Protea or a streamer/youtuber. Also, apart from the Glaive prime all the other Glaives have a similar problem as ALL guns they take a lot more forma than other melee weapons to properly mod for mid to high level content.

-The Galvanized mod are a good idea but the fact that the cost double+ the mod that they are/would be replacing exacerbating a long standing “gun versus sword” problem.

--You can one forma and a potato on most melee weapons and without using Berserker, Bloodrush, or Condition Overload you can do over an hour on "The Steel Path". Meanwhile to do the same thing on nearly all primary and secondary weapons you need a potato and between 3-6 forma minimum.

(I have tested this on Steel Path Kuva Survival and so have many others have youtube vids and stream archives)

Let me try and get this straight...

The problem that you stated here is that melee weapons have been overshadowing all primary and secondary gunplay for a long time.  You state that this workshop release addresses these issues by basically reducing some classic "Overpowered" melee mods and introducing new mods and arcanes to both primary and secondary weapons to shift the overall paradigm away from melee.  By all means, this sounds good at first, but you start seeing the cracks in the foundation after you look past the surface level of this "Fix."

To begin, the melee nerf was expected.  It's been done in the past and it's expected in the future (I mean, we've had 4 iterations of melee throughout the games lifespan).  So in that regard, I don't have any major issues.  On the other hand, these mods and arcanes that are being touted around as a solution or a part of the solution to the problem are nothing more than a farce.  Let me explain my thoughts on this...

Overall the concept of these mods aren't bad.  We've had conditional mods in the past that have gone on to help bolster the overall performance of primaries and secondaries (Argon Scope, Charged Chamber, Hata-Stya, and Split Flights to name a few).  Each one having their own quirks in regards to what bonuses they gave and how they rewarded them to the player; with those that gave good rewards for easily repeatable gameplay styles being coveted over the rest.  With that said, the mod is only as good as the player being able to repeat the condition consistently; which brings me to my first issue.

Both the mods and arcanes being shipped out with the next update focus on one of the worst conditions that could be applied to these mods; enemy kills.  Now for all intents and purposes, this is typically a non issue for the star-chart and in some cases the steel path star-chart; however, this becomes more of an issue for those who play endless missions.  You have specifically stated that these mods and arcanes are to address the falloff that primaries and secondaries have in the late game (meaning that you are using these to address weapons not being able to kill enemies as fast).  So instead of opting for a condition that would allow the person to gain a buff to kill the enemy before killing an enemy, you are asking the player to kill an enemy to gain a single stack of a buff to kill another enemy.  Furthermore, you would need to kill two enemies to see greater bonuses than the original "Conventional Mod" counterparts (three for both Galvanized Diffusion and Galvanized Hell as their counterparts start at 120%).  So if you are indeed using these mods to supplement for late game falloff, then why is their condition to kill an enemy that you were having trouble to kill in the first place?  Enemies only get stronger as you progress further in their levels, meaning that getting those kills let alone retaining a stack will become harder and harder as you progress into the late game. 

In Conclusion, If primaries and secondaries were being outclassed hard by melee, then why aren't we seeing conditionals that are easier to achieve?  Why are we getting conditional mods with a condition that will become harder to achieve as levels increase?  Why are we getting nerfed condition overload-like mods for primaries and secondaries that require a kill to gain the bonus while condition overload on melee has no condition other than a status being applied to an enemy?  Why are primaries and secondaries not being re-balanced to be comparable to melee?  These are just some of the questions that come to mind when looking at this joke of a "Buff" to primaries and secondaries.

Maybe it's time for primaries and secondaries to have their own incentive for use, similar to how you're incentivizing the parazon mechanic?  Maybe primaries and secondary mods need to be more comparable to their melee counterparts to make up for the power gap?  Maybe primaries and secondaries just need a complete rework altogether?  Regardless of what needs to be done to fix this problem, what has been proposed here is far from the solution.

How am I going to put so much endo into blood rush just for it to be just 40%. that like rank 4 at that point I want my endo back if that the case 😂. There goes my steel path with melee now all I got now is my shotgun and frame yay. The only one I disagree with is blood rush nerf. You put alot of endo to boost up your survival. You still die. But now it like rocking a rank 4 blood rush. And I dont see it succeeding in steel path. Along with other nerf. I see no boost to primary's at all unless you replace your current arcane that was helping something else. In my eyes I see no buff just a bad nerf that might effect alot of melees from a ok survival in steel path to yea good luck smacking them with a stick. I just hope I can survive in steel path and not have my bottom handed to me every time. my only chance to survive now is a shot gun and hopefully frame abilitys that a 50/50. I hope to god my very good sword dont turn in to a useless stick. 

People complain melee is only button spam
DE nerf melee
It's still the same button spamming only 3 times longer

We have no mod space on range weapons and can't kill on steel path fast enough
DE, add mandatory mod with increased drain, and limit use to being able to kill fast enough so that you can kill fast enough

DE removes glaive

TLDR from DE claiming they need to adjust attack speed because "insert reason" but won't nerf to nerf of all melee mods and removing berserk from the game, and timegate a lesser version at higher cost behind a timegate.
Glaive and Nukor nerf, sh it for those who actually use them
New weapons buffs are insanely new addition of annoyance, of keeping your buff up and streamlining everything on rushing and max killing.
Still the same Kuva Karak aiming few magazines into a horde for few minutes is still the same.
Every change will force us more to be meta (using high dmg weapon with aoe to gets kills)
Rivens become more mandatory, no space for anything left on weapons.

Gameplay got longer and more annoying.

I love you, guys, but i see things this way:

DE: We know primaries and secondaries are underpowered

Also DE: We don't want to lock you to a few viable weapon mod builds

DE: Decides to release 3 weapon mods to adress the issue, locking you onto 3 paths, without adressing the core weapon damage issue 

Archived